Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Stanley Kubrick Film

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Which of these do you like best?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
2 [6.45%]
1 [3.23%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [12.90%]
9 [29.03%]
5 [16.13%]
2 [6.45%]
6 [19.35%]
2 [6.45%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2023 at 08:59
Eyes Wide Shut
enigmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enigmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2023 at 16:12
Huge fan of Stanley Kubrick, love all his movies, picked 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2023 at 16:31
We've had this poll a few times, so I neglected to vote again before, but I now go with A Clockwork Orange. I also love 2001, the Shining, and Dr. Strangelove particularly, as well as Lolita. I also love Kubrick films. Been planning to re-watch Barry Lyndon at some time (I have it saved on my PVR).

Viewer discretion, but I have been really impressed with The Chickening parody of The Shining.

My 1960 to 2024 youtube playlist, one track per act and one track per year.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4Jq6bFhyET
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2023 at 17:14
For the acting, Paths of Glory. For the cinematogaphy and soundtrack, Barry Lyndon. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2023 at 01:10
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

For the acting, Paths of Glory. For the cinematogaphy and soundtrack, Barry Lyndon. 

Paths of Glory is wonderful. I like Barry Lyndon, but had a hard time writing a review for it. I'll watch it again, but cinematography is something that is great in just about every one of his films. Soundtrack is a hit and miss for me, although what was done with 2001 was far out (and even more so at the CINERAMA DOME -- at 180 degree screen and sound at 360!), but after Strauss there is better stuff for my ears.

I have to take a look at some of the other soundtracks ... and see if there is something else I missed. I have always had the ear for the music in film, and even chase some of the composers left and right ... but Stanley Kubrick was not exactly known for the music in his films. The best at using music for me was Nicolas Roeg (likes to use rock songs, too!), and the best of them for film music as we know it? Probably Maurice Jarre, although Vangelis and Ryuichi Sakamoto are a very close 2nd.

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2023 at 05:57
"A Clockwork Orange"
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2023 at 07:17
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

I'm surprised, No love for Paths of Glory here. 
Now it's got two votes, but anyway I don't think it's about lack of love. It's just that... who doesn't love more than one Kubrick movie? The only one I've seen that didn't work for me is Eyes Wide Shut.

Voted Shining (or Shinning). Kind of a lifechanging experience at a very young age for me.

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2023 at 08:17
2001 > Shining, Strangelove
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2023 at 18:01
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I like Barry Lyndon, but had a hard time writing a review for it. I'll watch it again, but cinematography is something that is great in just about every one of his films. Soundtrack is a hit and miss for me, although what was done with 2001 was far out (and even more so at the CINERAMA DOME -- at 180 degree screen and sound at 360!), but after Strauss there is better stuff for my ears.

For someone who allegedly understands film, I would suggest that the soundtrack of Barry Lyndon actually moves the film even without dialogue -- it is often used in place of dialogue. And considering The Chieftains play the compositions of Irish national treasure Seán Ó Riada, I wonder if perhaps you should better educate yourself in what the score contains and actually means. The music actually progresses along with the travels of Lyndon, from a Gaelic score as he leaves the farm in Ireland, to the pipes and drums of the British army, to the chamber music of  the salons and estates (Handel, Schubert, Vivaldi, Bach).  
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 06:59

For someone who allegedly understands film, I would suggest that the soundtrack of Barry Lyndon actually moves the film even without dialogue -- it is often used in place of dialogue. 

Hi,

It's been darn near 45 years, and I can barely remember the music in it, which is why I stated that I was going to look it up again. We were, in Santa Barbara (thanks go Guy Guden's show),, already playing The Chieftains, and an incredible number of those folks from the northern area in England, Ireland and Wales. I still have it on my collection. I even remember when we played HORSLIPS and some folks went ... wtfisthat?

However, I do not know, individually, a lot of these songs, and their application ... well, I remember Matty Groves and Reynardine.

The music actually progresses along with the travels of Lyndon, from a Gaelic score as he leaves the farm in Ireland, to the pipes and drums of the British army, to the chamber music of  the salons and estates (Handel, Schubert, Vivaldi, Bach).  

That would be a very nice directing touch and choice. The music itself telling the story, so to speak.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the film again thanks to your comments.

Edited by moshkito - February 02 2023 at 06:59
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Megistus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megistus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 19:47
Fairly irrelevant, but I have a book by Thackery recounting his travels in Ireland - rather fascinating stuff - picked it up in a charity shop.
I'm going to have to watch Barry Lyndon now, as a matter of "national interest" :)
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2023 at 08:52
Originally posted by Megistus Megistus wrote:

Fairly irrelevant, but I have a book by Thackery recounting his travels in Ireland - rather fascinating stuff - picked it up in a charity shop.
I'm going to have to watch Barry Lyndon now, as a matter of "national interest" :)

Hi,

Even though a lot of movies "include" history, many folks don't like to see these movies used as a de facto idea of what history is, or was ... but sometimes, it is hard to not laugh and appreciate the old stooges using their canes to keep time in front of the king, and then agree with him when he says "too many notes", to a musical style (at the time) that was notoriously slow and strictly time kept! ... familiar? guess what daw'ists do? The same thing!

But in general, for example, theater and music, were originally together in Greek theater as part of their festivals, and some how they got separated, more than likely by the new "religion" that decreed Oedipus bad, since it did not approve something that probably had happened for many hundreds or thousands of years before! All that was left? Edith Hamilton's Walt Disney version of the Greek stories, and some horrible misogyny that is pathetic and sick! I get really sick hearing about Medea poisoning a robe, when all the lighting in those days was by candles and oils on a pedestal, and in rooms that had carpets in all walls and floor to keep the heat in ... and how easy it would be for a fire to spread if one of those fell! Glauce likely hit one of those and the place blew up a fire! But the messenger, tells a vile story of hatred for the "magic" and women that had strength as Medea did ... my thoughts still are that the "chorus" was an invention that was badly translated and used to usher a new ear of religious controls ... plain and simple. It had nothing to do with a public sentiment!

To see, and find, as you say, that the music in "Barry Lyndon" is important (I have a copy arriving this week for me!) is something that is far out, and I really look forward to seeing it. I don't specifically know the names of the pieces and what they are about, but will definitely look for it, and maybe even look for a soundtrack CD.

www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2023 at 06:14
Hi,

Saw the film and enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. The music in it is indeed excellent, and very well used, and in my review, I called this film a "symphony" since the music was so well used throughout its story. In many ways, even 2001 had parts that were like this style, although I would have to watch it again to see how the music in it was used beyond the well known piece. by Strauss.
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12