Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Robert De Niro Movies: 1968-1978

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Which is your favourite movie?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.17%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [16.67%]
10 [41.67%]
3 [12.50%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [25.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guy Guden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2022 at 19:51
  although it doesn't fit in the time frame here or as an actor, I am very appreciative of Robert De Niro's ignored work as a Diector on the film THE GOOD SHEPARD.  an important film on the subject of America's espionage history and a biographical portrait of some key players thinly veiled.  
https://twitch.tv/guygudenspacepirateradio
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2022 at 22:36
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Hugh Manatee Hugh Manatee wrote:

Yes, I think that "The Deer Hunter" could have done with some trimming. Part of the problem is the pacing. The wedding scene drags on longer than it has to and then, wham we are in Vietnam and things move very quickly until the main character gets back home and it slows down again and so on.

Hi,

I really think that the wedding scene dragging so long is quite intentional. 1) We will go to our daughters (or sons) weddings only to come out ... gawd ... that's too long! 2) The comparative idea is that if the wedding is "too long" ... how you gonna feel when the war is even longer? for me, as a reviewer, I tend to think that this is an intentional thing.

That's an interesting interpretation but I actually think there's something else going on here.

The movie is in two halves, with the scenes in the first half mirrored by scenes in the second half. The joy of the wedding celebration is mirrored by the sombre (non) celebration for the return of the DeNiro character in the second half. Likewise the comradery of the first deer hunting trip is mirrored by the tensions of the deer hunting expedition in the second half, as is the conrtrast with the involuntary particicipation of the Russian roulette scenes of the first and the voluntary participation in the second half.

I think this is primarily to highlight the effects of the trauma of going to war and how it fundamentally changes not only those directly involved with the experience, but also how it effects those they associate with on their return.

The optimism of the first half dissolves in the muted cynicism of the second half, highlighted by the singing of "God Bless America" at the end, which in turn is in contrast with the sing-a-long in the bar at the beginning.

Edited by Hugh Manatee - November 18 2022 at 00:08
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2022 at 19:25
Originally posted by Hugh Manatee Hugh Manatee wrote:

The optimism of the first half dissolves in the muted cynicism of the second half, highlighted by the singing of "God Bless America" at the end, which in turn is in contrast with the sing-a-long in the bar at the beginning.

Hi,

Reminds me of Jimi doing the National Anthem ... in front of GARBAGE. I can relate to what Jimi might have thought, like, not a whole lot of this means much to most ... and it didn't ... it became a commercial rape of so many bands, with 2 or 3 standing out from the rest. And it did not "represent" what the whole of the music was about, either.  Not to mention that one of the producers went on to put together another show that had some bad casualties due to his choice of security folks. Not all "bikers" I have ever met were bad, but on that day, it all snapped. 

I kinda think that the "cynicism" was already apparent and had been since Dr. Strangelove!

Edited by moshkito - November 18 2022 at 19:26
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Moonshake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Moonshake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2023 at 16:14
The Deer Hunter.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2023 at 23:41
Not such a big De Niro fan as I am of Pacino so I went for Godfather Part 2 as much for the film as for his performance in it.
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2023 at 00:28
Taxi Driver. 

I really need to see Mean Streets again. 
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2023 at 06:58
I'd take these movies over the last 45 years combined.

All that money, and they can't take less, make a great independent movie (and make it known). What a waste. Ben Gazzarra did that for multiple directors, like John Cassavetes, and one of his best roles in Vincent Gallo's "Buffalo '66"
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2023 at 08:54
Taxi Driver for me - even all these years on the film is not an easy watch and it still packs a punch... plus you have Jodie Foster in one of her terrific early roles.

Edited by Progishness - July 12 2023 at 08:56
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2023 at 09:14
If it was about in which film his acting was the most interesting, Taxi Driver or Mean Streets would end high, but since you ask for my favourite film it is without hesitation Novecento (1900) by Bernardo Bertolucci.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2023 at 11:51
Taxi Driver.   A decade ago, I would have voted Deer Hunter.  Taxi Driver gives more repeat viewing pleasure to moi.  
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2023 at 13:03
Hey Paul, are you talking to me? Tongue

Actually, I haven't seen most of these but Taxi Driver was great even though it was a bit warped. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12