0 [0.00%]
3 [7.89%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [13.16%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 12:15
It's certainly better than I thought it was going to be. It's better than really any other retro / nostalgia prog I've heard this year. Would I pick it over any of the classics? No. Will I enjoy it while it's new driving to work for a little while? Yes. Will I come back to it ever again once the newness wears off? Probably not.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 12:48
^Did you think it was going to be a dud?
Did you listen really really closely?
Will you ever stop asking your self questions you already have the answers to? LOL
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 13:43
^ Never question the art of rhetorical question!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 14:48
My take on the album is at https://lazland.org/album-reviews-2023/yes-mirror-to-the-sky 

I hope you enjoy what I believe is an objective review of an album which has pleasantly surprised me. There is some very strong music on this album, but also a couple of weak tracks which do take the overall gloss off.

Let me know what you think.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 18:50
^ Thanks Steve, very kind of you. I like specially your appreciation of the vocals by Sherwood and Howe (a neat improvement over past albums) and the orchestral arrangement in the title track (I think I like this even better than Magnification's arangements). I wasn't particularly enthusiastic about Luminosity, though. But it's an album that refuses to let me go, so, who knows after relisten...
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2023 at 23:17
Extremely pleasantly surprised, it's probably a top 5 Yes album since the 70s. I'm glad they pushed the lesser tracks on the second disc and labeled them bonus, so the better six track portion is the actual work called Mirror to the Sky and the last three can be skipped if needed.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2023 at 10:50
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Excellent, but it was very tempting to vote for A Masterpiece! 

By the way, there have been no vote for Masterpiece yet, while I have seen at least one 5 star review. Maybe reviewers are shy to vote and react?
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2023 at 11:24
Originally posted by Heart of the Matter Heart of the Matter wrote:

Excellent, but it was very tempting to vote for A Masterpiece! 

By the way, there have been no vote for Masterpiece yet, while I have seen at least one 5 star review. Maybe reviewers are shy to vote and react?

Maybe those who rated it a 5 don't go on the forums. There are 94 ratings on PA, and there are only 22 votes here as I write this. I can accept people who rate it a 4, but a 5 for any album must be really special in my opinion.

Edited by mathman0806 - May 26 2023 at 12:49
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2023 at 11:33
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

but a 5 for any album must be really special in my opinion.

so true Smile
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mr ProgFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2023 at 12:22
It’s objectively good, but subjectively I’m torn between the very respectable craftsmanship of the musicians involved and the bland, generic feel of the songs. Need to listen once more to arrive at a firmer conclusion, but there’s other albums to listen to …
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2023 at 16:29
Confused

YES, it's time to update my Top 7 albums list again. Smile 

ConfusedConfused
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2023 at 16:34
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

For me when Squire passed on so did Yes. This is just a cheap imitation. Not even interested when there are literally hundreds of new releases every month that are more innovative, more interesting and more contemporary than anything Yes has done in a long time.

Some of us distinguish between music and brand names and that's all Yes is at this point.

For me, Yes are Squire's bass plus Anderson's vocals.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2023 at 16:37
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Confused

ConfusedConfused

The irony is, didn't Paul start out here liking music from no later than the '70s?

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2023 at 16:45

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

For me when Squire passed on so did Yes. This is just a cheap imitation. Not even interested when there are literally hundreds of new releases every month that are more innovative, more interesting and more contemporary than anything Yes has done in a long time.

Some of us distinguish between music and brand names and that's all Yes is at this point.

For me, Yes are Squire's bass plus Anderson's vocals.

I add: it seems to me a real scandal that a group can be called Yes without having any of the founding musicians inside.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2023 at 16:51
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Confused

ConfusedConfused

The irony is, didn't Paul start out here liking music from no later than the '70s?

Just imagine, if I said that

1) Do not Disturb
2) ALT
3) A Grounding in Numbers
4) Trisector

is my top 4 of VdGG....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2023 at 16:54

I add: it seems to me a real scandal that a group can be called Yes without having any of the founding musicians inside.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2023 at 17:06

Just imagine, if I said that

1) Do not Disturb
2) ALT
3) A Grounding in Numbers
4) Trisector

is my top 4 of VdGG....

I actually have those albums, whereas I don't have any Yes after "Big Generator", and generally speaking I have little interest in new albums from old groups.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2023 at 17:26

Maybe the point of the paradox is to show meaningless the question of "becoming another thing". Is the UK (or any nation) the same it was in the 19th century? People may not be the same, but they're still here.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 00:04
For me it's a slowed down version of Spock's Beard, a mixture of Glass Hammer and the Yes album "Drama" and some very clean guitar playing from Steve Howe that reminds me of Andrew Latimer. Others may find it bland and derivative but personally I love it. Five stars it's not but certainly excellent to me.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 01:02
Originally posted by Heart of the Matter Heart of the Matter wrote:

Maybe the point of the paradox is to show meaningless the question of "becoming another thing". Is the UK (or any nation) the same it was in the 19th century? People may not be the same, but they're still here.
That sounds like the Trigger's Broom Paradox, where his broom has had 17 new heads and 14 new handles and he's still using "the same" broom 20 years later - although Trigger wouldn't go as far as saying it's lasted him two decades. Tongue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>