Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PA Album of the Year Discussion thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lumenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2023 at 06:03
These are my ten nominees. They are all in the Progarchives' database.

1. Dominic Sanderson "Impermanence"
2. Gong "Unending Ascending"
3. Ozric Tentacles "Lotus Unfolding"
4. Zopp "Dominion"
5. I Am The Manic Whale "Bumper Book of Mystery Stories"
6. Yes "Mirror to the Sky"
7. Uriah Heep "Chaos & Colour"
8. Napier's Bones "Cells"
9. Teeth of the Sea "Hive"
10. Big Big Train "Ingenious Devices"
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2023 at 06:05
Originally posted by Lumenko Lumenko wrote:

These are my ten nominees. They are all in the Progarchives' database.

1. Dominic Sanderson "Impermanence"
2. Gong "Unending Ascending"
3. Ozric Tentacles "Lotus Unfolding"
4. Zopp "Dominion"
5. I Am The Manic Whale "Bumper Book of Mystery Stories"
6. Yes "Mirror to the Sky"
7. Uriah Heep "Chaos & Colour"
8. Napier's Bones "Cells"
9. Teeth of the Sea "Hive"
10. Big Big Train "Ingenious Devices"

You need to upload them here
Instructions are in the opening post of the thread.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Lumenko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lumenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2023 at 06:34
^^ Oh, I was terribly mistaken to believe that we should carry out the entire procedure on this page. I apologise. Please don't think my nominees are legitimate, and that's it.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2023 at 08:01
I'm sure your picks are fine, you just need to post them on that site.
Ian

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2023 at 10:25
It's against my nature, but I will try to come up with a list. Listing 20 albums isn't the most difficult part (from the 30 or so 2023 prog albums I listened to, thus far), ranking them is the most criminal part in the operation... I still want to listen to a couple of albums that I'm curious about (knowing that there are plenty that I'm not curious about at all) and waiting for the release of an album that I'm impatient to listen to but that will only come out at the end of next week...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2023 at 15:32
^ All valid lists have been counted. Keep them coming!

@Lumenko: Your list is as good as any other, but in order to get it into the chart, you need to use the tool at AP to compile the list. It is necessary because the script which collects the results reads the { ap:... } markers. Without those your list simply cannot be scanned.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - December 04 2023 at 15:44
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2023 at 16:51
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

1. Seven Impale - Summit {ap:55305}
2. Haken - Fauna {ap:53972}
3. Riverside - ID.Entity {ap:53198}
4. Lars Fredrik Frøislie - Fire Fortellinger {ap:55606}
5. Zopp - Dominion {ap:54131}
6. The Chronicles Of Father Robin - The Songs & Tales Of Airoea: Book 1 {ap:64307}
7. Jordsjø - Salighet {ap:65303}
8. The Chronicles Of Father Robin - The Songs & Tales Of Airoea: Book 2 {ap:65630}
9. Behold... the Arctopus - Interstellar Overtrove {ap:65835}
10. Baroness - Stone {ap:64605}
11. PoiL - Poil Ueda {ap:55644}
12. Deposed King - One Man's Grief {ap:54610}
13. Amoeba Split - Quiet Euphoria {ap:54888}
14. Homunculus Res - Ecco l'impero Dei Doppi Sensi {ap:64076}
15. Agusa - Prima Materia {ap:64672}
16. Blood Ceremony - The Old Ways Remain {ap:55491}
17. Il Cerchio d'Oro - Pangea E Le Tre Lune {ap:63477}
18. Andrea Orlando - La Scienza Delle Stagioni {ap:66620}
19. Ozric Tentacles - Lotus Unfolding {ap:65412}
20. Crown Lands - Fearless {ap:55192}

There are a few ideal suspects for the final PA 2023 top list in that list, IMHO.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2023 at 22:19
^ Which ones?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2023 at 15:50
I modified the results page a little bit to better visualize the participants. Still mostly (special) collabs ... you can change that with a couple of clicks

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - December 05 2023 at 15:55
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2023 at 16:23
Normally Tapfret would ask for the list in late December or in January……I’ll start working on my list for submission.
Glad there will be more participation.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2023 at 16:29
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Normally Tapfret would ask for the list in late December or in January……I’ll start working on my list for submission.

I've opened my list this evening

45 albums at first thought

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

I modified the results page a little bit to better visualize the participants. Still mostly (special) collabs ... you can change that with a couple of clicks

Are these all lists (and points alloted) already final??

TBH, I don't like the idea of knowing the album results before I place & enter my own choices.

Edited by Sean Trane - December 05 2023 at 16:42
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2023 at 17:47
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I've opened my list this evening

45 albums at first thought

Are these all lists (and points alloted) already final??

TBH, I don't like the idea of knowing the album results before I place & enter my own choices.

...I too am in this camp of thinking....creates possibility of voter fraud....Phuq me!! LOL
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2023 at 18:27
Then don't look!

Got to think it will be open until at least the end of January. I know I'll change mine a bunch.
Ian

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2023 at 22:14
''Voter fraud'' , we are aren't electing the next president of the universe LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2023 at 23:20
I don't know how this was done the last time ... I agree with Ian, if you don't want to know the result before it is made final, you can choose to just not look.

But if it's about nobody else being able to look - I could implement that, if more people think it matters. One solution would be to just show all the individual user lists on the results page until no more votes are accepted.

The good thing about how it is currently implemented is that only real forum users can vote, and there can only be one list per user. If we really start to see attempts of manipulation (e.g. lots of brand new forum users casting votes) we could look at excluding these (e.g. joined before this month).

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - December 05 2023 at 23:23
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2023 at 23:29
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Here's a provisional list. Not sure I understand the system, as I'm not asked to save or "sign" my choices, but anyway I trust I can later edit them. Anyway thanks for setting this up.

The page at AP is merely a tool to compile your list. You cast your vote by posting the list here in this thread. This is where the connection is made between the list and your forum user name. Editing the list is simply a matter of posting a new one here, where the script will read it and update your data on the chart (since lists from newer posts replace those from old ones).
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2023 at 01:51

I don't know how this was done the last time ... I agree with Ian, if you don't want to know the result before it is made final, you can choose to just not look.

But if it's about nobody else being able to look - I could implement that, if more people think it matters. One solution would be to just show all the individual user lists on the results page until no more votes are accepted.

The good thing about how it is currently implemented is that only real forum users can vote, and there can only be one list per user. If we really start to see attempts of manipulation (e.g. lots of brand new forum users casting votes) we could look at excluding these (e.g. joined before this month).

We're not talking of stuffing ballots boxes here LOLWink
(and we're excluding Svettie before he starts voting all serbian artistes.)

Well, in previous years, we were able to see other collab's temporary or in-progress lists allright, but we never saw them compiled until the votes were closed, which meant that you actually had to start counting and adding if you wanted to skew the polls. Even final lists, we could see them for the early posters. And we had no problems with that (seeing the collabss lists), because they actually told us on what we may have missed out on. We had concertation & discussions between us, like almost every site that sets up yearly top lists.

In some cases, we even hurried to include an artist in the DB (yup, that DB inclusion rule again) so we could vote for it. 

With your system here you can see that Zopp's second album (which is IMHO lesser than the debut) has such a high advance in terms of points that one might not give them points since they don't need it.

Sooooo, it's not the access to different lists that I'm objecting to, but opening the link  you gave us and seeing the results already compiled (if only partially) that's an issue (with me, anyways).

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your efforts to get this doneWink, if only because we're not sure we could get it done this year, given the sorry state of the site.

BTW, I'm posting again via Edge, cos too many things are not available via Firefox. 

Edited by Sean Trane - December 06 2023 at 01:53
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2023 at 07:42
Hi,

Sometimes I wish I could share/suggest a bunch of preferences and numbers. But I can't. In a house with 40K books of literature, it is difficult to think that one of those is crapola, and the other is a masterpiece. They are all different, and I look at a lot of music, exactly the same way, despite some folks not thinking that is the right thing to do.

There is way too much different stuff from all over the world, and one thing I'm really proud to see ... and it is a varied list for a change. There was one of these a few years ago, when folks listed the topXYZZZ and it had the same band/group listed several times, which took the ability and chance of others from around the world to be seen, heard and listed. 

I was very happy for the folks here, when almost all of them immediately adjusted their listings ... and all of a sudden you had something way more important and valuable, and a serious appreciation for the artistic works of other folks around the globe.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2023 at 08:25
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

We're not talking of stuffing ballots boxes here LOLWink
(and we're excluding Svettie before he starts voting all serbian artistes.)

Well, in previous years, we were able to see other collab's temporary or in-progress lists allright, but we never saw them compiled until the votes were closed, which meant that you actually had to start counting and adding if you wanted to skew the polls. Even final lists, we could see them for the early posters. And we had no problems with that (seeing the collabss lists), because they actually told us on what we may have missed out on. We had concertation & discussions between us, like almost every site that sets up yearly top lists.

In some cases, we even hurried to include an artist in the DB (yup, that DB inclusion rule again) so we could vote for it. 

With your system here you can see that Zopp's second album (which is IMHO lesser than the debut) has such a high advance in terms of points that one might not give them points since they don't need it.

Sooooo, it's not the access to different lists that I'm objecting to, but opening the link  you gave us and seeing the results already compiled (if only partially) that's an issue (with me, anyways).

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your efforts to get this doneWink, if only because we're not sure we could get it done this year, given the sorry state of the site.

BTW, I'm posting again via Edge, cos too many things are not available via Firefox. 

I can see a situation where it may be tempting to leave an album out of a list on that basis but at the end of the day if it's down at say NO18 then it's not going to be a big deal to you and conversely if it's high up (say NO5) then it feels like you would be shooting yourself in the foot. I can't imagine that anyone would want to misrepresent themselves to keep out a particular band. I remember IQ's Resistance being the least 'popular' winner of a AOTY poll back in 2019 with some real expressed disappointment from some collabs but then I'm sure the same people expressing that opinion just didn't include them at all on their lists.   
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2023 at 09:59
^ Here's an important observation:

Some of us have listened to a LOT of albums from 2023, some have not. I have listened to more than 250, and my top 20 is comprised ONLY of releases that are completely awesome (to me). Someone else on the other hand who has only listened to 20 releases (hypothetically) might indeed not particularly care about their #18.

I would recommend that everyone who puts up a list only includes releases they would recommend (or in other words: awesome releases). There's no point in including bad or mediocre releases just because you have listened to them - putting up a shorter list is better in that case.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>