Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Longest jam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2024 at 06:24
'The Ikon' by Utopia clocks in at 30min
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2024 at 06:41
Originally posted by Onslow Onslow wrote:

Wow! Good ones, Jared.
Where did you find that "Eruption" jam?

The Focus 50 Years Anthology 1970-76 boxset has a Live disk, which is 79 mins worth of jamming quite frankly, Eruption 46:47, followed by Birth 11:38 and Improvisations 1&2 / House Of The King 18:00 exactly... not for the feint hearted... LOL
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2024 at 06:54
Originally posted by Frets N Worries Frets N Worries wrote:

It's anything but a jam. The majority of Ikon is meticulously composed.
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2024 at 07:05
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

It's anything but a jam. The majority of Ikon is meticulously composed.

Fair enough. 

There's a LOT of jamming in space rock, so bands like Space Debris would have a lot. 

Led Zeppelin has a live version of Dazed and Confused that clocks in at 29:18, (off of 'The Song Remains the Same')

Jimi Hendrix's 'Voodoo Chile' (not to be confused with Voodoo Child (Slight Return)) is a little over 15 mins, definitely a jam. 
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2024 at 07:18
The Miles Davis live albums, "Pangea" and "Dark Magus", are presented as one long flowing piece of improvisation that stretches over two records on each album for about an hour and a half of music on each album.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2024 at 07:39
Hi,

Kinda funny and strange for me, to see things labelled as a "jam" ... we don't say anything like that for Symphonies, or Concertos, but for rock music, it's a "jam".

I have never thought of these as a "jam", and many of them are excellent trip pieces of music, that carry you along really well, so, for me, hearing it called a "jam" makes me feel that it is all just notes and whatever else, and I seriously doubt that a lot of music is just that ... there is a lot of "improvisation" even going way back to India and other places where things are really long, and no one calls a "raga" a jam, for example.

There isn't any of the pieces mentioned, one I do not enjoy ... they are all fantastic, and way better than a "song" ... and this is the kind of stuff I really miss in music these days, as so many bands continue to use the same set of instruments, and the same formats, not to mention sound. And even going back to Miles, and some of the jazz folks from the 50's there were a lot of pieces available, but the recording ability was not there as the LP limited things to 20 minutes or so. It is well known that many of those jazz folks went a long way in their individuality ... which was difficult to put on record, even though the industry turn a blind eye to black music until it was impossible to ignore them in the mid 1960's. (Per Tom Dowd)

I wish we could teach folks to close their eyes and just fly with the music ... no lyrics necessary, and this might be the real issue with these long pieces. Many listeners might get "lost" since they can not figure out what is going on. Close your eyes and don't ask questions and you will soon know what is happening in the music via one of the senses. And, BTW, I learned this from a blind friend we had in the early days of Space Pirate Radio. 

Edited by moshkito - March 22 2024 at 07:41
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Onslow View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2024 at 09:34
Frets,

you are very close but not quite there.
Big Sky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2024 at 11:25
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinema_(Yes_song)

Quote "Cinema" developed from a twenty-minute-long track with the working title "Time".[3]

Ok, thanks. Interesting. A shame we'll never hear what that sounded like. 

According to Trevor Rabin, Tony Kaye and Alan White (estate) have a copy of the 20 minute Time track that the instrumental Cinema was pulled from. Rabin, stated the band members were quite happy with the initial direction of the Time track. So it exists. Why it has not been released may be due to legal reasons.
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2024 at 12:40
Originally I heard the word "Jam" used in the early 70s. Prior to hearing jams in Progressive Rock I was listening to Psychedelic Rock and Blues Rock which contained a lot of what people called jams. My favorites were "Spoonful" performed by Cream at the Fillmore East on the Wheels Of Fire album.

"Albert's Shuffle" featuring Mike Bloomfield from the Super Session album....different examples of Ten Years After ..Humble Pie Last Night at the Fillmore...It was all very fascinating to me because suddenly after about 10 minutes into the jam Steve Marriott would start playing harmonica and sounding really good..as that would change up the music and give it diversity. A lot of regular Rock bands were doing that in the early 70s.

For me it was a matter of taste because obviously at age 15 in 1971 I felt immediately that a band like Mountain were going on or dragging on their jams too long. "Nantucket Sleighride was a really pretty song...but the band were a bit too much extensive for me and they rarely changed the music up.

Early Prog bands like Beggars Opera, Rare Bird, had sections of music where they jammed. It was done well. Jethro Tull "Dharma For One" and "Bouree" featured shorter jams that I liked.

I wasnt particularly fond of Space Ritual by Hawkwind. I felt it went on for too long and without interesting soloing which GONG definitely did! Possibly GONG had finer musicians in the band which caused the music to sound off differently. Both Hawkwind and GONG I have many titles.

If a jam drags for too long without any interesting solos then it feels redundant. You don't want to have someone soloing in your face for 10 minutes either...that can be annoying. You have to arrive at an "in between "...a mixture...sharing solos or coloring the music with atmospheric sections which creates an interesting vibe. Like Miles Davis did on Jack Johnson, Bitches Brew, and Big Fun.
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2024 at 13:40
Five Percent for Nothing.
Case closed.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2024 at 21:01
Originally posted by Onslow Onslow wrote:

Frets,

you are very close but not quite there.

Welcome to PA!  Lots of fun in here! 

Found this online: 

A CAMDEN Town bar smashed their way into the record books this week, with the longest ever continuous jam session.

Three hundred and thirty-four musicians, from amateurs to professionals, took to the stage to play their part in the jazzy extravaganza at the Blues Kitchen in Camden High Street which lasted for a record time of 50 hours and 45 seconds.

One dedicated blues fan, Kerim ‘Kez’ Güneş, managed to stick it out through the entire event, playing for over 14 hours and watching the show for the remaining 35. He said: “I’m absolutely shattered to be honest – I couldn’t play another note if I tried. I’ve enjoyed every second of the last few days and I’ll never forget playing alongside over 300 other jazz-heads. I can’t wait to raise a glass of bourbon and then hit the sack.”

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2024 at 03:14
^ Camden Town being an area of North London for those who may not be clued in Smile
Onslow View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2024 at 06:05
Okay.
Here it is.

Like I said, Frets was very close.

The longest is also Todd Rundgren and also on Bearsville label.

"A Treatise on Cosmic Fire" 36 minutes , from the lp "Initiation".

Side one is the usual Rundgren poprock with vocals but side 2 is so different that I'm lead to believe it is more the doing of keysman Powell than it is Rundgren.
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2024 at 07:20
Oresund Space Collective. All their material is lengthy, improvised jamming.
“I don’t like country music, but I don’t mean to denigrate those who do. And for those who like country music, denigrate means to ‘put down.'” – Bob Newhart
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2024 at 07:47
Originally posted by Jacob Schoolcraft Jacob Schoolcraft wrote:

If a jam drags for too long without any interesting solos then it feels redundant. You don't want to have someone soloing in your face for 10 minutes either...that can be annoying. You have to arrive at an "in between "...a mixture...sharing solos or coloring the music with atmospheric sections which creates an interesting vibe. Like Miles Davis did on Jack Johnson, Bitches Brew, and Big Fun.

Hi,

Too long, is a bit scary in the way you describe it, because if the supporting band/musicians are capable of carrying it, instead of dropping the soloist off the cliff, then it is fine.

I think that we are considering these "solos" because we do not have the underlying material under it to define it better. I would almost say, for example, that calling a lot of Jon McGlothlin ... just "solo" pretty much suggests the rest of the band is worthless, and this is not the case. Same for Miles, although Miles is much tougher because no one, including his musicians, would know where he is going, and you have to stay with him in one way or another. And telling Miles he can not do this for ten minutes, he would probably kick your buckets and throw you out of the concert hall! And he would promptly do a 20 minute solo.

The problem with "solo" is that the rest of the band is being ignored, and that's not fair. A "jam" is not about a solo, it's about a band getting it on ... and us degenerating this thread to "solo" are hurting the subject. A lot of the psychedelic stuff out of SF (for example) was not designed, or defined as a solo at all ... it was all a part of the whole "trip" and seeing the members of JA saying that he went left, she went right, he went up and he went in another direction ... and it sounded far out ... that you can call a "jam", but defining a jam by the solo ... that's going in the wrong direction. 

BTW, it also show a lack of appreciation for a lot of European guitarists that did long things that can not exactly be considered a "solo" ... these would include Michael Karoli (Can) and John Weinzierl (AD2) and Manuel Gottsching (Ash Ra Tempel/Ashra) and Ax Gernrich (Guru Guru) in the early days, and they were not exactly the only ones. And they were not set to simplistic rock music at all ... although we might think of Manuel as a bit more "mechanical" which started with Ash Ra Tempel 6 (guitar on guitar on guitar and there was no solo since one of them could easily be the support for the other) and he went on his own since then. Even then, by this time RF was doing stuff that ended up thought of as ambient, starting with his first Eno work, while Richard Pinhas was doing the same ... it was about the music and its strength and totality, not about the solo, and I am not sure that RF would consider a lot of things he does a "solo" since they are another element within the piece of music, as if it was a symphony! 

We just don't seem to handle well anything that does not sound like rock'n'roll, and in Europe a lot of the early stuff from the 70's was not exactly rock'n'roll ... go listen to Mother Sky ... that is not a solo! I might even think that Damo's part is a solo, but that really destroys the totality of the piece!

Edited by moshkito - March 23 2024 at 07:50
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2024 at 17:41

Originally posted by mellotronwave mellotronwave wrote:

Phish has very long and much longer improv's ... lot of.

Came here to comment this, according to Google, their longest jam is 'Runaway Jim' which clocks in at just under an hour

Here you are
https://forum.phish.net/forum/show/1379688278
"Mellotron is to progrock what watercolor is to painting. Diaphanous and mesmerizing"
Gramonster View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gramonster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2024 at 12:50
We played at a festival with my band Sulphat'Ketamine nearly 4 years ago when our current bass player was not available, a friend of ours took his place but we had no time for any rehearsal, so we didn't play any of our songs and did an uninterrupted 131 mn jam instead. We were the last on the bill, starting playing at 7 am. 
https://youtu.be/IEVceQ-iX_U?si=zZaPIAgf5p_96NKg
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2024 at 13:54

Phish has very long and much longer improv's ... lot of.

Came here to comment this, according to Google, their longest jam is 'Runaway Jim' which clocks in at just under an hour

Here you are
https://forum.phish.net/forum/show/1379688278

frankbostick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankbostick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2024 at 12:00
All jambands in concert: Phish, Umphrey's McGee, String Cheese Incident, Gov't Mule, Dave Matthews Band, Widespread Panic, moe, Goose, Joe Russo's Almost Dead, Ghost Light, Railroad Earth etc.etc.

Trackable concerts on Youtube.
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2024 at 03:28
Jerry Garcia and Howard Wales' jazzy psychedelic rock jam "All for Life" (from the "Side Trips Volume One" CD) clocks in at 24 minutes.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>