Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - List country's band/artist, album, TV show, film
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

List country's band/artist, album, TV show, film

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2024 at 10:41
Germany

Favourite band:  Triumvirat
Favourite solo artist: Helmut Koellen (RIP)
Favourite female singer: Elke Schlimbach
Favourite album: Illusions On A Double Dimple by Triumvirat
Favourite film: Downfall
Favourite musical conductor: Wilhelm Furtwangler

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2024 at 10:44
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Germany

That's a great movie, a bit disturbing (the Goebbels family subplot), I recently rewatched it, just as good as ever. 
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2024 at 10:59
Sweden

Band: Anekdoten
Musical Artist: Rikard Sjöblom
Album: A Drop of Light, by All Traps on Earth
Film: Aniara
Sculptor: Johan Paalzow
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2024 at 11:02
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Germany

That's a great movie, a bit disturbing (the Goebbels family subplot), I recently rewatched it, just as good as ever. 

Thanks; for sure it is a great film, but disturbing (my sister could not get through it due to the Goebbels family section) The whole Nazi machine was our worst fears realised, but I figure it has to be remembered to be learned from.....
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2024 at 11:05
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Sweden

Aniara would be my pick too. Yet, as far as I recall, it is a Sweden/Denmark movie.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2024 at 11:10
^ Oh, wow.

So is Koko-di Koko-da, which was my pick. I thought it was pure Swedish. Party
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2024 at 11:11
Austria

Band: Anthropods
Album: Himmelfahrt by Blank Manuskript
Artist: Erwin Wurm
Film: The Wall (Die Wand)
----------
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2024 at 11:14
Originally posted by Archisorcerus Archisorcerus wrote:

Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Sweden

Aniara would be my pick too. Yet, as far as I recall, it is a Sweden/Denmark movie.

Yes, I was aware it was from both countries, but leaned toward Sweden since I believe the characters spoke in Swedish.
----------
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2024 at 11:17

Germany

Thanks; for sure it is a great film, but disturbing (my sister could not get through it due to the Goebbels family section) The whole Nazi machine was our worst fears realised, but I figure it has to be remembered to be learned from.....

Another great German movie about WW2 is Stalingrad (1993). 
Also a difficult watch in places...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2024 at 11:32
Germany

Singer: Andy Kuntz (of Vanden Plas)
Band: Kraftwerk

Album: The Art of Navigating by the Stars (Sieges Even)
TV Show: Der Greif (2023-)
Film: Die Tür (Too tempted to pick Necronos, but it is too "evil", lol.)
PC Game: Drakensang

Edited by Archisorcerus - April 13 2024 at 11:34
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2024 at 12:32

Germany

I watch it again ever so often and keep being surprised at how well it holds up. Portraying Hitler in an earthly manner as sickly, pathetic, recognizably human instead of the abstract figure that he is in most people's minds, while still emphasizing the irredeemable evil of his personality and his actions, was a really tall order but the filmmakers and actor Bruno Ganz pulled it off masterfully. It's interesting from that light how Goebbels and his wife are portrayed in a way that actually does make them seem alien and non-human, not just because of their mere actions in said disturbing scene but their whole demeanour while doing it: the lack of expression on their faces, their robotic movement, the lack of any reaction to the death and destruction surrounding them. An extremely powerful and unapologetically realistic look into history's most horrible and twisted minds.

um, anyway, this is a great thread that I'll try to keep coming back to! For now I'll start with the USA:
* Best artist: Frank Zappa
* Best album: The Mothers Of Invention - Uncle Meat
* Best TV show: Star Trek - Deep Space 9 (talk about the opposite of mankind's nadir as portrayed in Downfall: a sublime celebration of all the values that fascism opposes, starring the deepest and most relatable cast out of any Star Trek series; it's just unbelievable to me how good this show is)
* Best film: Jacob's Ladder
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2024 at 13:22
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

Germany

I watch it again ever so often and keep being surprised at how well it holds up. Portraying Hitler in an earthly manner as sickly, pathetic, recognizably human instead of the abstract figure that he is in most people's minds, while still emphasizing the irredeemable evil of his personality and his actions, was a really tall order but the filmmakers and actor Bruno Ganz pulled it off masterfully. It's interesting from that light how Goebbels and his wife are portrayed in a way that actually does make them seem alien and non-human, not just because of their mere actions in said disturbing scene but their whole demeanour while doing it: the lack of expression on their faces, their robotic movement, the lack of any reaction to the death and destruction surrounding them. An extremely powerful and unapologetically realistic look into history's most horrible and twisted minds.

What the Goebbels did in the bunker is the result of total fanaticism. Especially Magda Goebbels. 

Also why wouldn't a 2004 movie hold up? That just makes me feel old. But then again i like old movies. Another great war movie is the first adaptation of E. M. Remarque All Quiet on the Western Front, from 1930. The nazi parity made a huge effort to sabotage the movie release in Germany. It got all violent in the end. And they were not yet in power. They were calling Remarque a defeatist and a traitor. The writer fled Germany. He escaped, but the nazis killed Remarque's sister, executed her.  

Edited by Cristi - April 14 2024 at 03:45
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2024 at 03:40

Also why wouldn't a 2004 movie hold up. That just makes me feel old.
My apologies, I should have phrased myself better: the movie's age isn't the issue, rather that when I watch a film enough times it tends to lose its magic for me, but Downfall never has.

In other news, the UK!
Best artist: Genesis
Best album: National Health - National Health
Best TV show: Blackadder
Best film: Children Of Men
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2024 at 03:48
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

Also why wouldn't a 2004 movie hold up. That just makes me feel old.
My apologies, I should have phrased myself better: the movie's age isn't the issue, rather that when I watch a film enough times it tends to lose its magic for me, but Downfall never has.

Thanks for explaining. Thumbs Up
I think I've seen the movie three, maybe four times. 
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2024 at 03:50
Germany

Band: Tangerine Dream
Album: Shibuya Nights by Agitation Free
Solo Artist: Manuel Goettsching
TV Show: 'Allo 'Allo
Film: Das Boot
        Stalingrad

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - April 14 2024 at 03:51
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2024 at 05:35
UK

Singer: Bruce Dickinson
Band: Gryphon
Album: Misplaced Childhood (Marillion)
Actor: Anthony Hopkins
Actress: Tilda Swinton
Author: Arthur Machen
Poet: Percy Bysshe Shelley
Book: The Damnation Game (by Clive Barker)
Play: The Tempest (William Shakespeare) - Also loved its filmed Shakespeare's Globe production/performance in 2013 (Released in 2014)
TV Show: Taskmaster
TV Miniseries: Oliver Twist (1985)
Animated Movie:  The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship
Live Action Movie: Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
PC Game: Batman: Arkham Asylum

Edited by Archisorcerus - April 14 2024 at 05:37
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2024 at 12:26
Thanks for all the responses; glad to see people coming up with more categories.   

Denmark

Favourite Band: Secret Oyster
Favourite Album: Szabodelico by Causa Sui (2020)
Favourite Director: Lars von Trier
Favourite Film: Europa (1991) (international co-production including Denmark)
Favourite Series: Riget (The Kingdom) (1994)
Favourite Blue Cheese: Danish Blue (not to be confused with Norwegian blue parrots)

Anna von Hausswolff now resides in Denmark, but I treat her as Swedish. When it comes to Demark for me for the arts, von Trier is "the man".

Edited by Logan - April 14 2024 at 13:35
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2024 at 14:16
South Korea

Music Artist: Mid-Air Thief (aka Gongjoong Doduk, aka...)
Album: a.k.a YAYA by YAYA Kim (2022)
Director: Bong Joon Ho
Film: Oldboy (2003) (director Park Chan-wook)
TV Show: Kingdom (2019, 2020)
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2024 at 20:19
China

Album: "Míng Míng" by otay:onii (2021)
Director: Zhang Yimou
Film: Raise the Red Lantern (1991)
Leading Lady: Gong Li
TV Series: Three-Body (2023) (still not nearly finished, but based on The Three-Body Problem novels like the 2024 Netflix series).

China has been one of my favourite nations for film, and especially Zhang Yimou had a huge impact on me in my 20s. Seeing his Red Sorghum and Chen Kaige's Farewell Mi Concubine set off a long -running passion.

I really like that Ming Ming album and has been one of my favourite of this decade along with the Chinese born Pan Daijing's Tissue (2022). I have seen complaint that we do not seem to care much about the arts from a wide enough international perspective, but my experience is that considerable numbers of people here have appreciated music, films, TV and authors from around the world. And it's not all/just about the "hits" (although I generally prefer a hit to a miss).

Edited by Logan - April 14 2024 at 20:22
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2024 at 23:27
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Germany

TV Show: 'Allo 'Allo

LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>