Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGreatest review ever written here:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2005 at 08:38
Originally posted by maidenrulez maidenrulez wrote:

GENESIS Foxtrot progressive rock album and reviews GENESIS - Foxtrot
Review by Breed Lover @ 3:13:58 PM EST, 3/30/2005

0 stars  —   I hate this [%*!#]ing album it sucks big time, Peter Gabriel is a [%*!#]ing dickhead and Phil Collins is his gay lover all GENESIS SUCKS I repeat SUCKS. avoid this piece of [&*!#] and all GENESIS albums Watchers of the Skies is Crap so, piss on my copy , im going to play slipknot they are cool

YES Close to the Edge progressive rock album and reviews YES - Close to the Edge
Review by Breed Lover @ 3:29:09 PM EST, 3/30/2005
0 stars  —   No this album is [&*!#] everybody knowz thiz, i love slipknot and YES SUCKS!!!!!! save your money because this album is crap and i love rugby prog rock stinks but i do like some but i hate yes , a squeeky bloke, a gingerhead woman and a tall gay bass player whatever next a sexy blonde on saxophone, please remove them

KING CRIMSON In the Court of the Crimson King
Review by Breed Lover @ 10:14:28 AM EST, 12/9/2003

0 stars  —  well jesus christ o mighty where do i start here, yes it's one of them [%*!#]ing crap pieces of [&*!#], robert fripp is a c**t and he sucks dildos all day long and greg lake bends over for michael giles, yes sounds like king crimson, well they suck and this album is crap, slipknot is class 5 stars for all their album, piss on this cd, snap it up, throw it in the bin and shove it up your minge and save your money, king crimson sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I laughed my ass off when i read those reviews for the first time

RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2005 at 08:50
I presume some of these are taken from the "Inappropriate reviews" thread. I don' think they are there any more...are they?Confused
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2005 at 09:04
Nope! You deleted them, Easy
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2005 at 10:19
Was this Breed Lover ever a member, he seems like a guy we could all have a good go at to clear the air.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2005 at 21:31

Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

I presume some of these are taken from the "Inappropriate reviews" thread. I don' think they are there any more...are they?Confused

YES Close to the Edge progressive rock album and reviews YES - Close to the Edge (1972)
Review by Joăo Matos @ 3:44:01 PM EST, 5/6/2005

0 stars  —   Buy the holly mother of god... How can this [&*!#] be in first place? The album is so bad BUT SO BAD... the vocalist is a gay... The songs are stupid, and the letters don´t make any sense... Yes is definitly the worst band of progressive metal, they not even are progressive metal, maybe they are some sort of jazz funky, BUT THEIR NOT DEFINITLY PROGRESSIVE METAL... PLEASE, TAKE THIS sh*t OF THE FIRST PLACE AND PUT DREAM THEATER - IMAGES AND WORDS... THIS ALBUM SUCKS A LOTTTTTTTTTTT

You should have never deleted this Close to the Edge review, for God's sake, if this place needs something is sense of humor and this guy is hilariious, he's so ignorant that he doesn't have a clue about Pogressive Rock (Almost sure he doesn't know Progressive Rock exists), probably he's a metal fan that heard about Progressive Metal and entered to Prog Archives expecting to find only Prog Metal.

The review is absolutely delightfull.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068

sbrushfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 15:39
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

YES Close to the Edge progressive rock album and reviews YES - Close to the Edge (1972)
Review by Joăo Matos @ 3:44:01 PM EST, 5/6/2005

0 stars  —   Buy the holly mother of god... How can this [&*!#] be in first place? The album is so bad BUT SO BAD... the vocalist is a gay... The songs are stupid, and the letters don´t make any sense... Yes is definitly the worst band of progressive metal, they not even are progressive metal, maybe they are some sort of jazz funky, BUT THEIR NOT DEFINITLY PROGRESSIVE METAL... PLEASE, TAKE THIS sh*t OF THE FIRST PLACE AND PUT DREAM THEATER - IMAGES AND WORDS... THIS ALBUM SUCKS A LOTTTTTTTTTTT

You should have never deleted this Close to the Edge review, for God's sake, if this place needs something is sense of humor and this guy is hilariious, he's so ignorant that he doesn't have a clue about Pogressive Rock (Almost sure he doesn't know Progressive Rock exists), probably he's a metal fan that heard about Progressive Metal and entered to Prog Archives expecting to find only Prog Metal.

The review is absolutely delightfull.

Iván

Delightful; simply delightful.  Jazz-Funky?  Progressive metal?  Of COURSE they're not prog-metal!!!! 

Some world views are spacious, and some are merely spaced...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 16:42

That's why a copy was left for posterity in the inappropriate reviews thread Ivan.Wink

It's where all such masterpieces are given a decent burial.LOL 

Their graves need no flowers, the tapes have recorded their names.

salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2005 at 17:07

GENESIS A Trick Of The Tail progressive rock album and reviews Symphonic Prog
(Studio Album, 1976)
GENESIS "A Trick Of The Tail"
Review (Permanent link) by Chit Winterwheat
Posted 4:26:37 PM EST, 11/19/2005

5 stars   When Peter gabriel left Genesis in 1975, most people thought the band were finished. NOT SO! Phil Collins simply stepped up to the vocal mic from his drum stool and it was business as usual. "Dance on a volcano" starts the whole thing off in menacing fashion and quirky beats, and for some reason always makes me think of a blonde haired and a black haired dominatrix dressing Johnny Orzach up in womens clothes. "Entangled" is simply beautiful, with Hacketts beautiful guitar lines and Tony Banks ghost like piano ending making the hairs on the palms of your hands stand up on edge. The subject matter is about somebody who is ill in hospital, gets better then is given the bill for the hospital services by a pretty young nurse. "Squonk" is a bit more rockier, with a great vibe going right through it. The lyrics tell the tale of a creature with a red rag hanging out of his mouth who gets caught by a hunter, is put into a sack, where he promptly cries his eyes out. "Mad Man Moon" i must say is not one of my favourites. It is a beautiful song, but i found the piano noodling in the middle section a bit overlong and boring. Toby Banks is one of my favourite keyboard players, but he does tend to go on a bit at times. "Robbery Assault and Battery" appears to be about Phil collins doing a robbery in his youth. He gets away from the police by escaping via the roof. Phil then reflects that one day his luck is going to run out and the police will attach him to a chain. Musically it is not far removed from "The Battle Of epping Forest" from "Smelling England By the pound" the synth solo halfway through is excellent and makes me think of Karen Carpenter for some reason. "Ripples" is a sad song about ripples not being able to come back. Phil will have you in tears on this one with his heartfelt vocals, as will Toby banks with his fast piano playing melding with Hacketts crying guitar sound, which puts me a mind of The guitarist from "The Brian Perry New Deal Experience" The title track is very Beatles like in the Magical Mystery Tour era. great jaunty piano playing by Banks and well delivered vocals by Phil Collins. Has anyone noticed Kevin Walters grunting on the fade out? "Los Endos" is simply one of the best instrumentals of all time. Majestic sounds, killer vocals and a touch of influence from Dukes Travels, which would be on the Duke album four years later. I really love the way the band reprise "Dance On A volcano" "Squonk" and "Locomotive Breath" on this track. To my ears, Genesis never sounded better than this 1976 treatie of an album. So if it is not in your collection, put on a nice fluffy cardigan, and your warmest mackintosh and skip merrily to your local record shop to pick up this little sweety

Cheers Chit

I wouldn't say this is a bad review, but it had me laughing at some of the errors and observations here. 'Phil Collins doing a robbery in his youth'?? 'Ripples'...is...about ripples not being able to come back (no s*** sherlock!!) and 'Locomotive Breath' in 'Los Endos'....I also love 'Toby Banks' and 'SMELLING England By The Pound'- great stuff!!

Edited by salmacis
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2005 at 23:32
"Los Endos" is simply one of the best instrumentals of all time. Majestic sounds, killer vocals and a touch of influence from Dukes Travels, which would be on the Duke album four years later.

Erm, surely if it's an instrumental it won't have "killer vocals"?
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2005 at 00:28
KLAATU Magentalane
Review (Permanent link) by Hugues Chantraine @ 5:47:02 AM EST, 4/28/2004

SPECIAL COLLABORATION
1 stars  —  Well OK, it's pretty bad, I can even say it stynx but there is worse than that.  It is diappointing but then again so was the previous two (Species and Sir), so this was no real surprise, and I just heard it but never bought it so I did not have to throw it away. If I have a cd that stynx I give as a frisbee to the dog so it serves at something>

I love Hugues' reviews!

Edited by ClemofNazareth
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2005 at 11:00

I wonder how many of us missed the detail their Salmacis!Embarrassed

Geck0- Good point, but it actually makes sense if you're familiar with the track.Wink

Clemo - Hugues is working his way through some of his old reviews to tidy them up. Many were written before he became a Prog Reviewer. He did have a way with words though!LOL

sbrushfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2005 at 20:36
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

KLAATU Magentalane
Review (Permanent link) by Hugues Chantraine @ 5:47:02 AM EST, 4/28/2004

SPECIAL COLLABORATION
1 stars  —  Well OK, it's pretty bad, I can even say it stynx but there is worse than that.  It is diappointing but then again so was the previous two (Species and Sir), so this was no real surprise, and I just heard it but never bought it so I did not have to throw it away. If I have a cd that stynx I give as a frisbee to the dog so it serves at something>

I love Hugues' reviews!

Is this a review?

Some world views are spacious, and some are merely spaced...
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2005 at 21:05

Wow...apparently, in spite of my previous convictions, literacy is not a prerequisite to being a prog lover. 

I'm going to have to start reading the reviews more.  I see now that they could be an endless source of entertainment.

I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2005 at 22:36

Holy God!!!!! Each time I read the ATOTT review quoted by Salmacis I find more gems, really a masterpiece.

Tony Banks ghost like piano ending making the hairs on the palms of your hands stand up on edge

A priest at school told me this condition was created by excesive masturbation, as well as  loss of coherence, now I understand the review.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068

The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2005 at 22:53
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

Holy God!!!!! Each time I read the ATOTT review quoted by Salmacis I find more gems, really a masterpiece.

Tony Banks ghost like piano ending making the hairs on the palms of your hands stand up on edge

A priest at school told me this condition was created by excesive masturbation, as well as  loss of coherence, now I understand the review.

Iván

I wonder if the reviewer is blind too.

Here's another little gem:  "Dance on a volcano" starts the whole thing off in menacing fashion and quirky beats, and for some reason always makes me think of a blonde haired and a black haired dominatrix dressing Johnny Orzach up in womens clothes.

This guy has too much time on his hands (or too much something in his hands) and way too vivid an imagination.

Oh and here's another:  Has anyone noticed Kevin Walters grunting on the fade out?

Who the hell is Kevin Walters?  Kevin Walters, Toby Banks, etc.  Maybe this is a different Genesis. 

Edited by The Doctor
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2005 at 22:59
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

This guy has too much time on his hands (or too much something in his hands) and way too vivid an imagination.

ROFLMAO

Iván

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2005 at 07:08

...or was he just having a really good time writing the review and setting a few traps for people like us who come to discuss it...?

Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2005 at 17:59

Yeah,jokey reviews are for saddoes.

Wonder who Chit really is?Ermm

I'd like to shake his hand...

ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2005 at 22:07

Another classic from Mr. Chantraine (he managed to work in a bit of a rant on the 80's too):

Review (Permanent link) by Hugues Chantraine @ 9:11:54 AM EST, 2/3/2004
SPECIAL COLLABORATION

1 stars  —  Released in 83 it is even worse , than its predecessor , it is the respect for the drummer that stops me from sinking this lower than the Titanic , but let's face it: Genesis was doing Abacab, Yes did 90125 , Asia stunk, Styx Stunx, Jethro did the awful Wraps album,the Moody Blundered, letting only KC (without the Sunshine Band please) save somewhat the days with its trilogy (Discipline , Beat, Pair), so don't go expecting poor old Machiavel to save the world.

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
AngleofRepose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2005 at 01:59
Robert le Plant's is certainly the funniest. I mean 'perfectly fur covered
man chest'.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>