Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTime signatures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 13:48
This is probably a silly question, but is 6/8 the same as 3/4 and 10/8 the same as 5/4 or is there a difference?
video vertigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 16:42
no because in 6/8 the eighth note gets the beat and there are 6 per measure, in 3/4 the quarter note gets the beat and there are 3 per measure.  They sound pretty much identical and may even look the same written out, but different songs require different signatures.  Usually 6/8 is used for faster songs it makes it easier to follow I think.
"The rock and roll business is pretty absurd, but the world of serious music is much worse." - Zappa
Barla View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 00:00

Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

This is probably a silly question, but is 6/8 the same as 3/4 and 10/8 the same as 5/4 or is there a difference?

Mathematically it'd be the same but the tempo is different, so the time signature is different.

Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 05:53
Originally posted by video vertigo video vertigo wrote:

no because in 6/8 the eighth note gets the beat and there are 6 per measure, in 3/4 the quarter note gets the beat and there are 3 per measure.  They sound pretty much identical and may even look the same written out, but different songs require different signatures.  Usually 6/8 is used for faster songs it makes it easier to follow I think.

Thanks, I think I got it. But what if there is 1 quarter note and 4 eighth notes, is it 6/8?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 18:23

Thanks, I think I got it. But what if there is 1 quarter note and 4 eighth notes, is it 6/8?

it could be in 6/8 because an eighth is half of a quarter.
6/8 and 3/4 usually depend more on tempo and what is easier to read with the tempo used.

"The rock and roll business is pretty absurd, but the world of serious music is much worse." - Zappa
Igha View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 05:49
Very interesting thread! Im learning somethings about music theory

6/8 and 3/4 usually depend more on tempo and what is easier to read with the tempo used.

Can you throw me more light on the relation between tempo and signature?
Is it possbile to slightly variate the tempo of a song without altering the signature? I think bands some times do this when they play live.
My words are spiders upon the page,they spin out faith, hope and reason but are they meet and just, or only dust gathering about my chair?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 16:51
Originally posted by Igha Igha wrote:

Very interesting thread! Im learning somethings about music theory

Can you throw me more light on the relation between tempo and signature?
Is it possbile to slightly variate the tempo of a song without altering the signature? I think bands some times do this when they play live.

I'm not 100% sure, but what I remember from high school music, it just made it easier to be in 6/8 with a faster tempo than it would 3/4 but wasn't entirely necessary. Anyone got a good explanation?

UnknownFlow View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 16:15

I'm not 100% sure, but what I remember from high school music, it just made it easier to be in 6/8 with a faster tempo than it would 3/4 but wasn't entirely necessary. Anyone got a good explanation?

6/8 and 3/4 are different. in 6/8 you basically feel the pulse on beats 1 and 4 so you would count with accents:
ONE-two-three-FOUR-five-six.
In 3/4 there is a pulse only on the first beat of the bar each time and on no other beat, so it's genrally faster, but not all the time. All waltzes are in 3/4.

As for tempo in relation to the time signature, I think they are both completely different and are inter changable, except it's easier to change time signature as a band if the beats are the same speed. And it's not very easy to change tempo immediatly as a band you'd have to have some way of counting in, say if you had a brak and got brung back in by the drummer or something. But i'm sure it's possible if you knew the parts well enough and were tight enough as a band.

Also another question: whats the hardest time signature anyones come across or is using in their band?

My band is currently working on a Gentle Giant/Dream Theater style instrumental with some crazy time signatures. The longest time signature we're using at the moment is 31/16 and i found that easy because i just wrote it down on a piece of paper and learnt it. It's hard to do fills with that however but i don't think there is space for them due to the insane guitar riffs which is lucky.

Edited by UnknownFlow - April 25 2006 at 16:21
Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 12:39

Some Wicked Rhytms:

African music in 6/8
Led Zeppelin's "The Ocean" opening riff 7/8
Led Zeppelin's "The Crunge" 4,5/4 or maybe 12/16
Pink Floyd - Money 7/8
Yes - 3-4 mins into "Close To The Edge" 6/8
Eloy - 4 mins into "Decay Of The Logos" just 4/4, 8/8 or 16/16... but mans what a rhytm! Big smileClap
Led Zeppelin - Opening bars of "Four Sticks" 5/8

TheLamb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 12:46

I couldn't bother to read the whole thread so Im sorry if someone already worte this but:

Time signatures don't always divide into an equal amount of beats. For instance;

My band has a piece which is partially in 15/8, but But it does not divide symmetrically into 5:5:5, because it has a "polly-rythm" that makes it "divide" into a 6:3:3:3 (beats 1, 7, 10, and 13 are "emphasized")... So to those who said 9/8 always divides into 3:3:3, your utterly wrong!

I'm very sorry if I didn't explain this properrly I have no idea how to explain music concepts and stuff in english..... I hope you understood what I was on about... I'm pretty sure some of the words I used are not even related to music in your language... Embarrassed
TheLamb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 13:12
Originally posted by Abstrakt Abstrakt wrote:

Some Wicked Rhytms:

African music in 6/8
Pink Floyd - Money 7/8
Eloy - 4 mins into "Decay Of The Logos" just 4/4, 8/8 or 16/16... but mans what a rhytm! Big smileClap

a few more wicked rythms, a bit more complex - these are the really brain killers:

Birds of Fire - Mahavishnu Orchestra - 18/8 (Guitar plays 5+5+5+3, and drums and violin make mind blowing polly rythms all over the place)

Hell's Bell's - Bill Bruford - 19/16 (Interesting piece...)

The Crimson Sunrise (ACOS) - Dream Theater - 19/8 (Difficult to count but it's definitly 19/8, theres no other way to think of it)

2116 - Planet X - 21/16 (one of the more pretentious pieces I've ever listened to....)
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 14:53
Some Time Signatures that I think sound pretty cool without being over complex or not complex enough.

Watcher Of The Skies - Genesis - 6/4 that sounds bloody cool
Gentle Giant - Pantagruels Nativity (one of the sections) - 11/4
Turn it On Again - Genesis - 13/8
Jacob's Ladder - Rush - numerous time signatures including - 11/8 and 13/16

adn I'm not sure if this is right but I reckon the intro to Changes by Yes in in 9/4.

Edited by UnknownFlow - April 26 2006 at 15:01
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 14:55
Yeah my band also has a section in where the guitarists are playing 3 bars of 5/8 and i'm playing 5 bars of 3/8 so it could also be described as 1 bar of 15/8.
Empathy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 15:11
Originally posted by UnknownFlow UnknownFlow wrote:

Yeah my band also has a section in where the guitarists are playing 3 bars of 5/8 and i'm playing 5 bars of 3/8 so it could also be described as 1 bar of 15/8.

LOLLOL

Do you go back in time when you play that section?

LOL
Pure Brilliance:
Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 13:12
Originally posted by TheLamb TheLamb wrote:

Originally posted by Abstrakt Abstrakt wrote:

Some Wicked Rhytms:

African music in 6/8
Pink Floyd - Money 7/8

a few more wicked rythms, a bit more complex - these are the really brain killers:

Birds of Fire - Mahavishnu Orchestra - 18/8 (Guitar plays 5+5+5+3, and drums and violin make mind blowing polly rythms all over the place)

Hell's Bell's - Bill Bruford - 19/16 (Interesting piece...)

The Crimson Sunrise (ACOS) - Dream Theater - 19/8 (Difficult to count but it's definitly 19/8, theres no other way to think of it)

2116 - Planet X - 21/16 (one of the more pretentious pieces I've ever listened to....)
WHOA!!! now thats wierd Tongue
Royalist View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 17:31
I'd say: 2/4 means that a BAR includes a strong beat and a weak one:  ONE two     or     >  _ .
-3/4 means  strong,weak, weak   ONE two three ( > _ _ )

> strong
> less strong
_ weak

The 1st beat is called downbeat and is usually the hardest one. Other ones can also be graduated in strength but no so  stressed as  the first.

4/4 is usually > _ > _

The beats don't need to be single notes. 3/4 can be    > > _ _ _ _  (ONE TWO three four five six).
But  a sequence of    > _ _ > _ _  would be 6/8.
All beats are equal in duration but can be split into  any number of smaller parts: 

3/4 =      1 . 1 . 1 . 1 .  2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 3 ....................

Another kind of 6/8 can be  > _ > _ > _     or  just  > _ _ _ _ _.  There are no strict rules.

7/8 can be  >_ _ > _ > _.

It's not always so simple. We can find meters like  > > _ _ _ .  It's not practical to say "(2 and a half)/4" so we can say 5/4.  In this situation an actual beat consists of 2 or 3 units.  

Meter can be constant or changing every 5 seconds or br different in every next bar.

>>_ _ _ _ > _> _ _ >> _ _    = 3  bars   3/4 + 5/8 + 2/4

A lot of music has random accents everywhere (not only on downbeat) . Sometimes it's difficult or impossible to tell the time signature.

So 13/8 is  like counting  1 -13 where  1 is strong  and the others  either weak or "a little strong" .  Example:     > _ _ > _ _ > _ _ >_ > _ .
Maybe we're talking about something like  > > > _ _ _ > > > _ _ _ _. , like a bar of 4/4 divided into 12 notes with an extra one.

There is no difference between "Money in 7/8" and "Money in 7/4". No one knows if a note is a half note or an 8-note.   Money is  7/4, 120 bpm = 7/2, 240 bpm = 7/8, 60 bpm.

Bpm value tells how many notes (4-notes) there are in a minute. If _ stands for 8-note, _ _ creates a 4-note but I can decide that _ is a 16- note or whole note etc.

The most popular drum pattern of 4/4  is   1. um 2. TSH 3. um 4. TSH  find in lots of rock, pop, hiphop etc. As you can see 2 and 4 are stronger here (played on snare drum). It is easy to count.
You can tap your fingers against your desk  like  > _ _ > _ _  > _ _ > _ _ and  a lot of music follows it (3/4 or 6/8, it has a feel of "swaying". "We are the champions" is in 6/8). try to count and you'll see how it works. Just practice.

Many people here go crazy about meters. They say that 4/4, 3/8 , 6/8  are "common", "simple", and 7, 9, 13, 5  are odd, complex ...They claim that 11/8 is difficult to play just because it is 11/8 Dead. Musicians who play such things gain respect of "virtuosos". Is is wrong!!! Gripping a guitar chord and counting 1 to 17 is easy!  4/4 things can be very difficult!!

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 18:02
Originally posted by Zoso Zoso wrote:

Right, it's all about feeling the rhythm.

Listen to "Money" by Pink Floyd, a song that's in 7/8. Tap your foot along with the bassline, and you'll see that there are 7 beats for every time through the phrase. It will be obvious once you do it.

Actually, it's 7/4. Simply count 1-2-3-4-1-2-3, or 1-2-1-2-1-2-3.Smile
Royalist View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2006 at 02:04

3/4= 1   2   3   1   2   3   1   2   3   1   2   3     one beat of 3 is much stronger
6/4= 1   2   3   1   2   3   1   2   3   1   2   3     one beat of 6 is much stronger

3/8 and 6/8 in the same tempo are 2x faster. 3/8 in tempo 100 = 3/4 in tempo 200.

10 8-notes  notes in 5/4 can sound  > > _ _ > > _ _ _ _
In 10/8  > _ _ _ _ > _ _ _ _ or > _ _ > _ _ > _ > _ etc.

Royalist View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2006 at 02:23

1             2            3
 |              |      |     |     |       3/4

1      2     3      4     5     6
 |              |          |     |       6/8 - extra accent. Hardly any difference.

Notes lasting longer than the denominator make it much harder.

1             2            3
 |      |      |      |     |              3/4

1     2      3     4     5     6
 |      |      |          |             6/8   -now a clearer difference.

1             2           3
 |      |      |            |      |         3/4

1     2      3     4     5     6
 |      |      |            |      |         6/8  - syncopa. A "wrong" note  is accentuated because it "covers" the stronger beat.

Sometimes it's hard to  guess  which is correct.  I think musicians don't  waste time for such stupid things. They just play.

Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2006 at 09:52
6/8 can just be like 2 bars in 3/4... some people mix that together...
but it's wrong... 6/8 is more like 4/4 with 2 extra beats
(at least in african music)

Edited by Abstrakt - April 28 2006 at 09:52
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>