Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShould there be a new Category?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Should there be a Select Albums Category on this Website?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
52 [72.22%]
16 [22.22%]
4 [5.56%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 00:50
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

The big question...Who decides which albums are really Prog?

I would love to add Their Satanic Majesties Request (Rolling Stones) as Psychedelic but not so sure how easy will  it be to manage albums by absolutely non proog bands.

We have people  already asking why is STYX or Be Bop´Deluxe here, imagine if somebody would believe some Earth Wind & Fire or Progressive House album should be added.

The idea is good, but has it's problems.

Iván

Well I think we still just as many problems now I don't think prog related is perfect, also Art Rock section has its problems - yes King Crimson belongs there but I don't think Van Der Graff Generator does etc so there are still disputes, the fact that Bitches Brew by Miles Davis on this site is also a problem, I still think a strict criteria still should apply, infact I think It'll improve everything a lot we can dump all the Beatles early stuff, they certainly don't belong on this site. Its down to the question is this particular album prog? if it is it belongs here if not it doesn't. I'm not talking about AOR stuff like Greendays latest album, I'm talking about pure prog here. Its basically kicking out all the dead wait that isn't prog on this website like the non prog Styx albums? while having classic prog albums that are here.Wink

Edited by Cheesecakemouse - July 08 2006 at 00:51

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 01:45
Originally posted by Cheesecakemouse Cheesecakemouse wrote:

Well I think we still just as many problems now I don't think prog related is perfect,

Neither do I, buit it's good enough.

Also Art Rock section has its problems - yes King Crimson belongs there but I don't think Van Der Graff Generator does etc so there are still disputes,

My team sent with unimous votes VDGG there, because it has many of many genres.

I still think a strict criteria still should apply, infact I think It'll improve everything a lot we can dump all the Beatles early stuff, they certainly don't belong on this site.

Also Genesis lets say after Duke would be great, but it's an opemn door that I don't totally like.

Its down to the question is this particular album prog? if it is it belongs here if not it doesn't. I'm not talking about AOR stuff like Greendays latest album, I'm talking about pure prog here.

You, me and some other members of course will do their bestr, but already there's people talking about Progressive Rap or Hip Hop every week, people asking to add Meatloaf (One of my favorite bands but not Prog).

When there's an open door, people abuuse, that's a fact, the additions were oipened for a while to anybody and it was a disaster, so it had to be closed again.

Its basically kicking out all the dead wait that isn't prog on this website like the non prog Styx albums? while having classic prog albums that are here.Wink

The policy ofhis site is not to remove bands once they are inside and less when there are revoiews, something with what I agree.

If it's done, it has to be very limited, not everybody should be allowed to add their favorite album.

Iván

theBox View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 02:37
Brilliant Idea Cheesecakemouse!
I voted yes!

Cheesecakemouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 02:43
Ivan Melgar, the difference with groups like genesis is that their foundations are prog, the beatles wern't, also even their more commercial albums were prog related eg Dominoes, Second Home by the sea. That is the difference Yes and Genesis are prog bands the Beatles wern't. This is what I'm saying; non prog bands/artists like the Beatles and Miles Davis has some prog albums, put them and exclude their non prog because its irrelevent, Genesis and Yes pop music has relevance to many prog fans although usually in the more negative area and againthere are still prog - related material in it.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 03:04
Originally posted by Cheesecakemouse Cheesecakemouse wrote:

Ivan Melgar, the difference with groups like genesis is that their foundations are prog, the beatles wern't, also even their more commercial albums were prog related eg Dominoes, Second Home by the sea. That is the difference Yes and Genesis are prog bands the Beatles wern't. This is what I'm saying; non prog bands/artists like the Beatles and Miles Davis has some prog albums, put them and exclude their non prog because its irrelevent, Genesis and Yes pop music has relevance to many prog fans although usually in the more negative area and againthere are still prog - related material in it.

I get your point, The Beatles are not mainly Prog (Except SPLHCB and Abbey Road) and Genesis is the best Prog band ever (That's what I honestly believe).

But I do believe their albums after Duke should be deleted.

I like the idea, as i said I see no reasoon why Their Satanic Majesties Request is not here, but the risk of some inadequate additions that would attempt against the nature and essense of this site is too high.

Iván

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 03:13
Ivan,Genesis is my favourite prog band, but I think that post Duke albums need to be there because there are some prog-related material on them, also stuff like 3 sides live has some classic tracks like the Musical box on it.

Edited by Cheesecakemouse - July 08 2006 at 03:22

video vertigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 04:03
I think the idea is good, but should these bands be allowed into the top albums?  I'm already unhappy about the beatles in our top 100, who's next?  I like that this site is growing and more info about more types of music are becoming apart of PA, but I'm here for prog 99.98% of the time.
"The rock and roll business is pretty absurd, but the world of serious music is much worse." - Zappa
horza View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 04:09
Sounds like a good idea to me.    
Originally posted by darkshade:

Calling Mike Portnoy a bad drummer is like calling Stephen Hawking an idiot.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 04:38
[QUOTE=video vertigo]I think the idea is good, but should these bands be allowed into the top albums?  I'm already unhappy about the beatles in our top 100, who's next? 

Yeah I don't like the Beatles there either, good point.

Tricalix View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 08:22
Originally posted by Peter Rideout Peter Rideout wrote:

I'm not trying to be difficult or contankerous, but I think this idea would only lead to more "prog or not"/"WTF is prog?" arguments.

(You see, prog does not really exist.)

Exactly.
Let's talk about how good music is, and not how prog it is.
Cause I don't see the sense of doing that
I hate signatures.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 08:23
I'm unsure until someone convince me of the need for this. How many albums do you expect in this new category? if under 10 then perhaps it's not really worth the energy.

In addition, it wil further dilute this site by shifting the focus away from the truly progressive artists.
ANDREW View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 08:24
Yes, Dark-Prog / Hard-Prog.
plodder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 08:31
More prog genres, just what the world needs. Like more lawyers.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 08:35
Originally posted by earlyprog earlyprog wrote:

I'm unsure until someone convince me of the need for this. How many albums do you expect in this new category? if under 10 then perhaps it's not really worth the energy.

In addition, it wil further dilute this site by shifting the focus away from the truly progressive artists.

I can think of half that number in the pure jazz category right off the top of my head....  factor in rock... it would far surpass 10.. might even approach the 100's. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 12:03
Sorry, but I believe this to be a purely academic (ie, futile) exercise.Stern Smile

Quite some time ago, before many of you joined, it was decided by "the powers that be" (the owners -- and this site is NOT a democracy; nor am I saying it should be) that once an artist was in, then the entire discography of that artist would be in.
The entire notion of "prog or not/where the cutoff point for an artist should be" is VERY subjective, because "prog" itself is a subjective notion. Unlike, for example, jazz or blues, "prog" is not really a genre, but a subjective value judgement -- it is in the "ear of the hearer," so to speak. (Just think of the wide range of very diverse artists represented here: for example, we have Yes, Deep Purple, Dream Theater, some "death" metal, Talk Talk, Queen, Radiohead, the Beatles, etc, etc. The "connections" or  "common ground" among all of those artists are tenuous at best!

Also, consider all of the artists that are regularly held up for potential inclusion: we've had everyone from Talking Heads to Steely Dan to Black Sabbath. Clearly, again, "prog" is a very subjective notion (that is what I mean when I say that it "doesn't really exist") that is up to each of us to privately define. If you think Talking Heads, Sabbath, early Genesis and Steely Dan belong together, then great: burn your homemade "prog" compilation and arrange your collection accordingly (but don't expect others to necessarily "buy into" your vision of "prog").

No, I see partial representation of an artist as just one more thing to argue about, divide us, and make the site even more exclusive (whereas the owners want PA to be inclusive) and elitest.Thumbs Down

As another person has suggested above, I think we have too many "hair-splitting," amorphous categories already. As I've said many times, art is not math or science -- our words and "definitions" cannot neatly contain it. It is not an intellectual exercise -- it lives more in the heart of the individual, not the head. All of these "boxes" of words (and words are open to interpretation) we keep designing for the "categorization" of music simply do not work -- except, perhaps, on an individual listener basis. (And that's also the reason to drop the words which accompany the star ratings!)

Let the individual reviews address the (subjective) issues of "progginess!"Stern Smile

Edited by Peter Rideout - July 08 2006 at 12:06
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 12:13
points well made Peter....  

the only way I could see to work... if the 'powers that be' wanted it... would be not to have a mass inclusion of albums... that would be chaos.. and lead to many problems that you mention, but to have a 'team' who would be responsible for individual album inclusions.  The team would consist of a wide range of ages and interest and reflect all the notions of what is and is not prog.  The site great as it is.. cannot remain static.. in order to make it even better... sometimes you need to be a bit bold and go for the gusto and including obvious prog gems that are not here is one way to do it.  How many more stupid PM or best Genesis album threads can you or anyone else bear to stand.  It might shake things up a bit.. and when it settles.. we may have a  even BETTER site to discuss our beloved prog
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 13:42
All:

I find it interesting that all of the "oldest" members - Peter, Ivan, Video Vertigo - are the ones trying to explain why the idea is probably not a good one.

As another veteran member (and one of the first, if not the first, admin), I must agree with them.  In fact, it was I who first brought up this idea over three years ago - before many of the "debated" bands were included (Radiohead, Queen, Beatles et al).  At that time, I suggested a category for prog (or proggish) albums by non-prog groups.  I was thinking of everything from Revolver, Pepper and MMT by The Beatles, to Original Soundtrack and How Dare You by 10CC, to English Settlement and Mummer by XTC, etc.  I even argued that the inclusion of Supertramp was a mistake, since only their second album and Crime of the Century could truly be considered "prog" or "proggish."

My suggestion met with an approximately equal amount of support and rejection.  But it was the wisdom of veterans like Peter and Ivan that convinced me I was going down the wrong road, for the very reason that Peter makes clear (and that cheesecakemouse seems to be missing or ignoring): how does one determine which albums by which groups are "prog" or "proggish" when no "conclusive" definition of "prog" can be agreed upon?  And even if such a definition could be generally agreed upon, how does one determine the "degree" of "proggyness" of a particular album? What are the parameters?  Who decides?

Peter, Ivan and VV (among others) are correct: this idea - which is admittedly well-intentioned and even, to some degree, well-argued (just as mine was) - is an unnecessary and potentially divisive one - more divisive than most of you are able to see right now in your well-intentioned, but ultimately limited, focus on the seeming merits of the idea.

Peace.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 19:51
Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

All:

I find it interesting that all of the "oldest" members - Peter, Ivan, Video Vertigo - are the ones trying to explain why the idea is probably not a good one.

As another veteran member (and one of the first, if not the first, admin), I must agree with them.  In fact, it was I who first brought up this idea over three years ago - before many of the "debated" bands were included (Radiohead, Queen, Beatles et al).  At that time, I suggested a category for prog (or proggish) albums by non-prog groups.  I was thinking of everything from Revolver, Pepper and MMT by The Beatles, to Original Soundtrack and How Dare You by 10CC, to English Settlement and Mummer by XTC, etc.  I even argued that the inclusion of Supertramp was a mistake, since only their second album and Crime of the Century could truly be considered "prog" or "proggish."

My suggestion met with an approximately equal amount of support and rejection.  But it was the wisdom of veterans like Peter and Ivan that convinced me I was going down the wrong road, for the very reason that Peter makes clear (and that cheesecakemouse seems to be missing or ignoring): how does one determine which albums by which groups are "prog" or "proggish" when no "conclusive" definition of "prog" can be agreed upon?  And even if such a definition could be generally agreed upon, how does one determine the "degree" of "proggyness" of a particular album? What are the parameters?  Who decides?

Peter, Ivan and VV (among others) are correct: this idea - which is admittedly well-intentioned and even, to some degree, well-argued (just as mine was) - is an unnecessary and potentially divisive one - more divisive than most of you are able to see right now in your well-intentioned, but ultimately limited, focus on the seeming merits of the idea.

Peace.

I see where you and Peter specifically are coming from... but if you could answer me this and I'll sit down quietly and shut my big yapper hahaha.... would not those problems be solved by a 'crack' team of S.C.'s from range of ages and tastes who would then decide what is to be added and what is not.  Would and should have no more division or rancor then normal admissions by the various teams have already. 
Sacred 22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2006 at 08:44
good idea me thinks
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2006 at 12:09
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I see where you and Peter specifically are coming from... but if you could answer me this and I'll sit down quietly and shut my big yapper hahaha.... would not those problems be solved by a 'crack' team of S.C.'s from range of ages and tastes who would then decide what is to be added and what is not.  Would and should have no more division or rancor then normal admissions by the various teams have already. 

Micky, seems you have bad memory, you're part of a team already and you know how much preasure can be placed on us for just changing one band from Symphonic to Neo Prog or Art Rock. We're not eliminating a band, we're not adding a band, we're just changing a genre and still we got some serious debates in the Collaborators and Prog Lounge Forums.

Now multiply that for 10 if you as part of a team don't accept a determined album, you will have a lot of preasure if you refuse to add a hip hop or Disco album to that section.

Now multiply that for 10 again if you add a Rolling Stones, Earth Eind & Fire or Boston album, some people will start to make problems, there are still members making a lot of noise because Kansas is here.

Then, you would need a team not only formed by specialist on one but in every genre, I can't get the difference between RIO and Post Rock or Death Prog Metal and Viking Prog Metal, so you would need at least 10 members.

Now add the time gap, you know we have to stay until 2 am and Raffaella has to wake at 5 or 6 AM to discuss with us. How many members are willing to do that?

Now, add the risk of opening the door for absolutely each and every band in the musical spectrum, from Motown to Madonna (Some people claim that songs as "Like a Prayer" are related to Prog, this would be chaotic

Now add all the accurate points Maani and Peter made like the divisive factor, you will have 100 posts asking if A or B album is Prog of not and if the team has the bad luck to disagree with the opinion of the fans of determined band and/or album you would have a civil war on hands.

No, this would never work.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - July 09 2006 at 12:12

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>