FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMarillion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2007 at 08:13
I'm fairly keen () on their output with Fish providing the vocals - but I find everything after "Misplaced Childhood" somewhat unremarkable in the Prog Rock canon.

A lot of nice stuff, but unremarkable, nevertheless.

Edited by Certif1ed - January 08 2007 at 08:14
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
KeyserSoze View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2007 at 08:24
I don't really think they are underrated. Rather I think they are overrated and I don't like them except the first three albums with Fish.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2007 at 08:26
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

I'm fairly keen () on their output with Fish providing the vocals - but I find everything after "Misplaced Childhood" somewhat unremarkable in the Prog Rock canon.

A lot of nice stuff, but unremarkable, nevertheless.

Conversely, I think the best thing they did with the Piscean fellow was Clutching At Straws.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2007 at 08:31
Originally posted by red.sector_a red.sector_a wrote:

for the time i've lurked here and short time i've posted, i haven't heard a word about these guys. how are they viewed as around here?honestly, i think, one of the most underrated bands in the prog scene with the most enigmatic frontman the genre has seen in a while. IMO.one of my favorite bands.

I guess it has been a while since we've had a Marillion topic. We actually have discussed them at length. As was said before, E-Dub is one of their biggest champions (especially Hogarth era).

I am a Fish fan. I love all of those albums. "Script" was a welcome surprise in 1983. I even had the honor of seeing them perform "Misplaced Childhood" in Grand Rapids Michigan.

Although I have tried, I still don't care much for the Hogarth stuff. It seems a little sanitized to me.

Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2007 at 08:32
I plan to give them a shot this year.  Never have heard more than a sample but I'm going to order "Misplaced Childhood" soon.
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
Masque View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2007 at 09:10
About twenty three years ago I wondered into a record store , there was this album with a jester on the cover dripping shades of green with a violin in his hand.  I though this looks strangely weird in a good way I wonder what its about ???  so I purchased it without even hearing it (in prog we must gamble to find what is gold),  the album was entitled Script for a jesters tear . On first impressions to my 16 year old mind I thought ... hey this is kinda trippy and very odd,  but I was getting into some King Crimson back then so I accepted strange  musical creativity,  also I hadn`t heard Gabriel`s Genesis so I actually thought Marillion were totally original. LOL So anyway after about ten more plays I started to form a relationship with script  and with the charismatic theatrical Fish who I thought was kinda like a social rebel  and I dug that !  well Marillion and me kinda gelled,  I would visit the Record store look for Kansas first , then head for the M section for Marillion for many years they provided me with vision artistically till one sad day I went to the store and there was a CD called seasons end   and I found out that Fish had dumped Marillion because lets face it Fish was Marillion  ....  Marillion for me died from that point on  , I tried to like them the same but I can`t  its  just not the same poetically or creatively after Fish left  ... "one more experience one more entry in a diary self penned " Smile 

Fish was Marillion ! Wink

Edited by Masque - January 08 2007 at 10:48
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2007 at 10:04
Eh, I think that statement would be true if they would've folded after losing such an integral member. The fact that they've lasted 17 years, created 9 studio albums, and the last one so critically acclaimed that some (if not most) consider it to be a masterpiece exposes the 'Fish was Marillion' statement to have more holes than Bonnie and Clyde the day they were ambushed in Louisiana.

E
Tristan Mulders View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2007 at 10:19
And since when have Marillion released 'A Change of Seasons'?? Either you're talking about some bootleg or you got your info mixed up
Interested in my reviews?
You can find them HERE

"...He will search until He's found a Way to take the Days..."
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2007 at 10:21
Could be mixing up Seasons End with DT's A Change Of Seasons.

E
Masque View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2007 at 10:47
Its all good clean fun chaps  both marillions are good  
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2007 at 11:04
Originally posted by Masque Masque wrote:

Its all good clean fun chaps  both marillions are good  

I know, Masque. Your post was very respectful. I wasn't torqued at all.

E

red.sector_a View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2007 at 11:43
i love both eras, but im a little more partial to the H era. His voice intrigues me more than Fish's does.

although the first time i heard Misplaced Childhood, i knew i could put that album in the small group of "perfect" albums, in my collection. nothing on that album is flawed. it was also my first introduction into the band.

but Brave and Marbles are my favorite records along with MC and SFAJT. I freakin' love this band!
"...the only excuse for not knowing, is not wanting to know."
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2007 at 11:59
Awfully underrated one from them - FUGAZI. Simply a masterpiece,VERY close to MC in my book (3rd place after Script and MC),while CaS is awfully terrific album - I use to hate it, but now I would say I just don't like it THAT much
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2007 at 12:05

i love both eras, but im a little more partial to the H era. His voice intrigues me more than Fish's does.although the first time i heard Misplaced Childhood, i knew i could put that album in the small group of "perfect" albums, in my collection. nothing on that album is flawed. it was also my first introduction into the band.but Brave and Marbles are my favorite records along with MC and SFAJT. I freakin' love this band!

Awesome. Join me along with Stonebeard, Cristi, and Freak in spreading the gospel.

E

iTunes: "Incubus" from Marillion's Fugazi
red.sector_a View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2007 at 14:46
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

i love both eras, but im a little more partial to the H era. His voice intrigues me more than Fish's does.although the first time i heard Misplaced Childhood, i knew i could put that album in the small group of "perfect" albums, in my collection. nothing on that album is flawed. it was also my first introduction into the band.but Brave and Marbles are my favorite records along with MC and SFAJT. I freakin' love this band!

Awesome. Join me along with Stonebeard, Cristi, and Freak in spreading the gospel.

E

i would be a proud member.Smile

we should start a clan. just for the H- era. lol
"...the only excuse for not knowing, is not wanting to know."
piltdown man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2007 at 14:46
I´ve been a big fan since Script... They had something special that appealed to me being about 18 who recently had discovered The Wall, Tubular Bells and Selling England. Script had a sparkle and something new yet something of the old masterpieces. Fish was, and still is, the perfect front figure and a real entertainer. Not the best singer but with a theatrical style I liked then and as a lyricist one of the best. Seeing them live was something extraordinary.

When it was a fact that Fish had left the Marillios I lost them for a while, still buying the albums but it just didn´t feel the same. Then after a couple of years it all changed and I wish I knew which song or album did it but I can´t. One day I just discovered that I prefer the Hogarth-era today. Their albums keeps getting better, they´re trying new things and sounds yet keeping a unique sound. H is a fantastic singer and have really grown a text-writer as well.
They have a great website and provides us fans with loads of fun stuff to buy. I´m looking forward to "Something else"!
spleenache View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2007 at 15:13
I do not like themm at all.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2007 at 15:28
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

E

Hehe... H era is very good. Doubts arise about their "prog" status from time to time, but it's still Good Music.
Freak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2007 at 16:13
Here comes the Marillion revolution! I unfortunately missed out on the couple months of intense Marillion discussion, so I wouldn't mind having a dedicated thread go on for a week or so. As you can tell from my name (best Marillion B-side ever!) and E-Dub's mention up there, I'm a great fan of both eras. I'll gladly defend the merit of h, but I love the Fish era as well.

Long live prog's greatest band (that's still performing at least...)!

Thumbs Up

I'm kind of curious, what are the Marillion fans opinions of Holidays In Eden? I consider that one their least brilliant album - not because it isn't proggy enough or anything, but it didn't contain anything memorable except for the stunning "The Party," but that one has more flair live. Maybe I ought to give it another spin...
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2007 at 16:43
Originally posted by Freak Freak wrote:

Here comes the Marillion revolution! I unfortunately missed out on the couple months of intense Marillion discussion, so I wouldn't mind having a dedicated thread go on for a week or so. As you can tell from my name (best Marillion B-side ever!) and E-Dub's mention up there, I'm a great fan of both eras. I'll gladly defend the merit of h, but I love the Fish era as well.

Long live prog's greatest band (that's still performing at least...)!

[IMG]height=17 alt="Thumbs Up" src="http://www.progarchives.com/forum/smileys/smiley20.gif" width=23 align=absMiddle>

I'm kind of curious, what are the Marillion fans opinions of Holidays In Eden? I consider that one their least brilliant album - not because it isn't proggy enough or anything, but it didn't contain anything memorable except for the stunning "The Party," but that one has more flair live. Maybe I ought to give it another spin...

I, too, enjoy both eras. I listened to Fugazi this morning and just love that disc. It hardly ever gets mentioned alongside the first 4, but it's such a strong disc. "Incubus" is one of my favorite tunes, too.

I enjoy Holidays In Eden for what it is. I think it was pretty apparent that the record company was leaning on them to produce a hit and to showcase the 'pretty boy' fronting their band. Still, it has some nice tunes on it. "Splintering Heart" is still a favorite and a great show opener. "Dry Land" sounds a bit dated even in the early 90's, but still an alright tune. I even like "Cover My Eyes" because of H's vocal performance.

For what HiE lacked, they more than made up for it with the subsequent efforts in Brave and Afraid Of Sunlight. Those discs are just pure magic.

E

iTunes: "Dedication" from Pain Of Salvation's The Perfect Element

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>