Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedredefining Proto Prog and Prog Related

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2007 at 16:22
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

It's a mistake a lot of people have made. Because the Beatles are on the site, people assume we are saying they are a prog band - we're not. We need to make the distinction clear and we need to concentrate on the real prog genres more.
I don't have a problem with the names but pp and pr should be removed from the PA Top 100.

of course we focus in on the real prog groups... but we can't ignore that it is those categories that are the cause of much of the discontent around here. 

hahhaha... I'd hope you wouldn't Alan..  but the constant confusion with others here, is what is behind this proposal to change the names of those categories.  To help the site get past it.. and worry about other things such as those real prog groups that get added everyday... yet who notices.  They are bickering as to how the Who are a prog group.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2007 at 16:26
There's one more thing that bugs me. I've seen several five star reviews for proto-prog or prog related band's albums (e.g. The Who). I mean how can they be masterpieces of prog when they aren't even prog? Confused
I think that maybe we should implement different rating systems for them or just block four and five star ratings?
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2007 at 16:26
Personally, I like the site the way it is. I am continually mystified by why some people get so angry about inclusions they disagree with. Anyone who would stop visiting this excellent resource because the Who are listed is a fool.

I wwouldn't be angry about the name change you suggest, and perhaps it would clear up some confusion, but if it caqame to a vote I would say keep things the way they are.
R o V e R View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2007 at 16:34
Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

There's one more thing that bugs me. I've seen several five star reviews for proto-prog or prog related band's albums (e.g. The Who). I mean how can they be masterpieces of prog when they aren't even prog? ConfusedI think that maybe we should implement different rating systems for them or just block four and five star ratings?

this is not fare,..
if any record is good, then it is good,, you cant block the ratings

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2007 at 16:38
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

It's a mistake a lot of people have made. Because the Beatles are on the site, people assume we are saying they are a prog band - we're not. We need to make the distinction clear and we need to concentrate on the real prog genres more.
I don't have a problem with the names but pp and pr should be removed from the PA Top 100.

Actually, the idea of a redefinition (including a possible name change) was mine, if you look at the thread I started a few days ago in the Help Us Improve the Site section. I am a linguist by background, which means I know how important the correct wording can be. Many people only see the 'prog' part in PP and PR, as well as seeing both categories listed together with the 'real' prog genres. Moreover, I think 'proto-prog' is a misnomer, as it implies the bands and artists included in the category were prog before prog came into being, not that they influenced its development (as it is often the case).

As concerns the removal of PP/PR albums from the Top 100, I understand your point perfectly, even though I couldn't care less about that list - nor am I particularly upset by seeing "Quadrophenia" or "Machine Head" in it, or by finding "Who's Next" mentioned as Album of the Week. However, I agree that we need to be consistent: if we keep on saying that the acts included in PP or PR are not prog, we cannot have albums by those acts appear in a PROG Top 100.

In my very humble opinion, we should continue having reviews of those albums, and be able to give them 5 stars - however, the definitions should be changed, scrapping the "masterpiece of prog" or "essential addition to any prog collection" in favour of something more neutral. This is, I think, the only way forward, and the only one that can bring some measure of peace and collaborative spirit back to the site.

thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2007 at 16:43
Linguistics is aa fun branch of study, isn't it?
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2007 at 16:48
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Clap exactly the point of the thread... to clarify.  Simple category names such as 'bands influenced by prog' and 'bands that influenced prog' are not exactly grandiose sounding category names... but that is exactly what they do ... clarify.

Especially, as some clever soul on the first page mentioned, if they are shown next to prog rather than below prog (as sub-genres).
As for the suggestion to have generic descriptions of what influenced what and how - that's impossible, because it differs for every combination of bands.

Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

Linguistics is aa fun branch of study, isn't it?

Are you sure it's just linguistics? It's beginning to get the smell of politics LOLWink
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
paolo.beenees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2007 at 16:54

Stretching the length of a song, experimenting with new instruments and recording techniques, making fanciful cross-over with classical/jazz/oriental/folk music, introducing concept albums, dealing with engaged topics, improvising, introducing unusual instruments... There's more than a reason to say that many bands between 1965 and 1969 really changed the face of rock - and therefore they were PROGRESSIVE in the LITERAL meaning of this word. Early Pink Floyd, the mature Beatles and Pet Shop Boys, Jimi Hendrix, the Who, Traffic, Grateful Dead... they were far more daring and free-form experimenting than any band coming later. Even if they're not my favourite bands, I have to admit they represented a real shift in rock music. By my own part, I would add also bands like Small Faces and Love to this category.

By the way, I'm pretty surprised at seeing how many people would complain about The Who's admission to this site. Listen carefully to their music, please, and you will realise that - in a period between "Tommy" and "Quadrophenia" - they were more complex, "orchestral" and epic than (say) Hawkwind or the Moody Blues...
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2007 at 17:03
How about sister sites: Proto-prog Archives and Prog Related Archives?

LOL
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2007 at 17:06
This will clearly become a major discussion so please keep it on topic.

Do not discuss here whether we should have the categories at all. Do not discuss whether individual bands should have been added. There are plenty of threads for those matters already.

Please only use this thread for discussing how these categories can be best presented. Please also avoid one liners and joking comments in this thread, in order to keep it readable.
Time Signature View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2007 at 17:22
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

Moreover, I think 'proto-prog' is a misnomer, as it implies the bands and artists included in the category were prog before prog came into being, not that they influenced its development (as it is often the case).
So, you're drawing a parallel between this term and 'proto-indoeuropean'? Maybe pre-prog would be a more suitable term albeit a quite clumsy-looking one.

As to prog-related, I think it should be retained since it seems to allow for the taking into account of artists that link prog and comercial rock.
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2007 at 17:32
Way before Proto-Prog and Prog Related were created, I sugested the creation of a space in the main page for "honourable mentions", where prog albums, or borderline prog albums from non-prog bands (not the bloody bands themselves) could be introduced and reviewed as the others. Of course, no one listened (or should I say, read)...

Proto-prog is an especially repugnant name. How can The Who's album from 2006 be proto-prog? When I agreed that bands like Deep Purple and Queen could be added, I supposed someone would block album entries, so that only the albums that got them here could be added... Obviously, no such control was made. 

Edited by Kotro - July 29 2007 at 17:34
Bigger on the inside.
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2007 at 17:41
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Way before Proto-Prog and Prog Related were created, I sugested the creation of a space in the main page for "honourable mentions", where prog albums, or borderline prog albums from non-prog bands (not the bloody bands themselves) could be introduced and reviewed as the others. Of course, no one listened (or should I say, read)...

Proto-prog is an especially repugnant name. How can The Who's album from 2006 be proto-prog? When I agreed that bands like Deep Purple and Queen could be added, I supposed someone would block album entries, so that only the albums that got them here could be added... Obviously, no such control was made. 

Clap I totally agree! That's what I meant in my post on the previous page but I wasn't so eloquent.

Charles Bukowski
glass house View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2007 at 17:41

I mentioned the same thing ages ago. 

Good call Kotro.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2007 at 17:52

first off...again.. the owners want complete discographies.. prog and non prog.

reading that post Kotro .. this might be the place to bring up what no one here has asked yet.  I think the name change is a no brainer... but looking ahead (as I have been)  reclassifiying those categories there hides potentially a thornier issue for the forum... and yes.. to some my fellow collabs as well. 

What about those bands currently in PR (and some in PP)... that aren't influenced by prog but did prog albums and had prog periods. They don't belong in PR if they did prog.. that would be like saying Rush should be just because they followed others.. were they PR?

Simply put.... can this forum understand that if a band is in a certain sub-genre that is in no way reflective of the band's career but of their PROG output. Seeing how this is a prog forum.  If we do differentiate between prog and non prog...  what to do with the prog albums.   Some examples... Styx, Peter Gabriel, ELO, Alan Parsons, Queen.  My thoughts ... the same as groups like Genesis and Rush ... we focus (and classify) based upon the prog... not what came later when they left prog. as nearly all did if they stayed together through the changes in the musical world.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2007 at 19:35
Originally posted by glass house glass house wrote:

I mentioned the same thing ages ago. 

Good call Kotro.

I actually like that idea as well. Clap
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2007 at 20:11
I like the idea of differentiating them from "true" prog, eventhough I do believe they are integral to the archive and should (nay - must) be here.

I would prefer there to be a completely seperate section of the Prog Archives where we could put  these categories possibly called Honarary Mentions, it's as good a name as any. Here we could create sub-categories to further explain a bands presence and possibly even add bands like Mew with impunity.

However, that is a drastic change, the following are much simpler to impliment:

exclude them from the Top 100 and Album of the Week.
remove the word "Prog" from their genre names completely (they are not real Music Genres  anyway - it's just a convenient classification for the PA).
do not have PP or PR reviews on the front page.
move them from the PROG SUB-GENRES: menu to the MISC: menu.
change the colour of the header on their pages from Purple to Dark Blue (or something) - a simple change that maintains the look and feel while indicating they are not a direct part of the archive.

Edited by darqdean - July 29 2007 at 20:13
What?
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2007 at 20:22
I think Prog-related is fine, it seems self explanatory and the definition is quite clear as to what it is.

The Proto-Prog definition is fine, but the name (as Raff said) is misleading. I think Time Signature's suggestion of renaming it to Pre-Prog would maybe help clarify things
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 10:22
I think a redefinition of the two categories is rather urgent. If you look at the Suggest New Bands section, there are a number of suggestions for addition to PR or PP. People won't stop suggesting all kinds of acts to be added to those two controversial categories, and every new addition will bring further unrest, at least if things remain as they are. Unless we decide to stop them altogether, we have to find a way to present PP and PR in a more effective, less misleading way. Perhaps this wouldn't stop the ever-present "if X are here, not Y?" and similar comments, but at least it would improve the site's image and credibility.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 11:26
No new definitions or renaming those two categories! It is clear and simple! Too bad for the "idiots" not being able to understand the subtleties!
let them go back to Van Halen! Tongue

BUT let's get PR out of the alphabetical order (i'd rather keep proto in) and out of the other genres on the tool bar.

Let's place prog-related at the same height as the Misc on the purple tool bar, or at least place them behind the various and tributes!!

And to keep the PR entries from the front/homepage and from the top 100 list is fine too!

Edit: I think Dean's got the same idea !

Edited by Sean Trane - August 02 2007 at 11:27
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>