Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSgt. Pepper- Overrated

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 03:13
Sgt Pepper achieved the main goal 99% of musicians wish to achieve - it was technically groundbreaking, musically innovative and its appeal reached out to millions of people all over the world whether they were into classical, reggae or any kind of musical genre or nationality - who else has managed that - DSOTM could be another good example, or the "White" album that followed?   That had many detractors, but "Pepper" was lauded by all and sundry as totally groundbreaking, the only downside was that it also crossed generations - my parents liked it!
As for being overrated amongst other Beatle music from the same period, Pepper wouldn't have been made without Revolver, and much on the MMT album was written around the same time but not originally intended for one album;  "Walrus" was an extremely outstanding song amongst others written specifically for the MMT TV special and "Fool on the Hill" was written during the Pepper sessions, "Hello Goodbye" "Strawberry Fields" and "All you need is Love" were originally 45 rpm singles, the most popular format at the time and not intended for album inclusion - radically  there were no singles released off  "Pepper" in the UK at the time, the album was intended to be listened to as a single entity  (another band who later adopted this anti -single philosophy permanently was Led Zeppelin).
It is easy to criticise in retrospect - Pepper is not overrated.
Smile

Prog Archives Tour Van
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 19:18
Originally posted by mystic fred mystic fred wrote:

Sgt Pepper achieved the main goal 99% of musicians wish to achieve - it was technically groundbreaking, musically innovative and its appeal reached out to millions of people all over the world

I shortened it, but this statement is untrue

I doubt 99%  of musicians/ bands care about musical innovation, I would say about 90% just want a bit of mainstream successCry
Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 20:30
Not Overrated.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 20:33
only overrated by those who have no knowledge or concept of the history of rock.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
coleio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 09:07
For christ's sake, the whole Beatles career is overrated.
I've never got the fuss, simple, mundane music. It would take something very special to convince me otherwise.
Eat heartily at breakfast, for tonight, we dine in Hell!!
Evans View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 12:26
Actually, The Beatles changed how i look at music completely. I used to think that i was always right, and that because i didn't like Sgt. Pepper it was overrated, but one day i got into it (through Abbey Road) and now i love the Beatles. From that day, i have never uttered the word overrated, other than ironically, because that was when i realised that there is no such thing, only music i haven't gotten into yet. Since then, i have also had much easier getting into music i would otherwise have thrown disregarded as crap.

For the record, "Within you without you" is a song i can barely stand, and would be the only reason why it might not actually get 5 stars from me in a review.

'Let's give it another fifteen seconds..'
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 12:32
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

only overrated by those who have no knowledge or concept of the history of rock.

ClapClapClap

"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Leningrad View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 12:34
Nah.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 15:38

Just as overrated as those who pretend to have all the answers....Wink

Edited by The T - August 10 2007 at 15:39
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 16:43
In the liner notes of the "Strange Days" album by The Doors (Rhino Reissue), it was written that producer/engineer Bruce Botnick played Sgt. Pepper to the band, and it gave them the idea of using the studio as an instrument in itself rather than only a means to record, and the results speak for themselves.

One can like or dislike Sgt. Pepper, but no one can deny the impact it had when it was released.
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 16:47
Originally posted by Melomaniac Melomaniac wrote:

One can like or dislike Sgt. Pepper, but no one can deny the impact it had when it was released.

Tru dat
sircosick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 16:48

Better said, impossible Clap
The best you can is good enough...
Hyperborea View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 19:20
If boring and bland make an album overrated then Sgt Peppers is def way overrated. Not the Beatles at their best, and not all that significant, as they had already done a concept album in Yellow Submarine, or does that heap of crap not count?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2007 at 04:12
Originally posted by Hyperborea Hyperborea wrote:

If boring and bland make an album overrated then Sgt Peppers is def way overrated. Not the Beatles at their best, and not all that significant, as they had already done a concept album in Yellow Submarine, or does that heap of crap not count?

"Not all that significant"? - you obviously haven't read anything about the effect that Sgt Pepper had on the world at the time of it's release.

And Yellow Submarine was after Sgt Pepper.
A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 12:01

When I first started getting seriously into music 20+ years ago, the widely held belief was that Sgt Pepper's was the best album ever. It would regularly top polls of greatest albums.

In the past few years, Revolver seems to have overtaken it.

Personally, I prefer The Rutles. Wink
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
Hyperborea View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 21:10
If Joe Bloggs and the Dirt Eaters had realeased Sgt Peppers it would've died a death...unfortunately in their drug fuelled nonsense...the Beatles released it. And hoopla it's great...it is not...it is shear boredom and blandness, one of the Beatles weakest woks. A def up our own arses album...and def not prog....ever.
T.Rox View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 21:57

...but "Pepper" was lauded by all and sundry as totally groundbreaking, the only downside was that it also crossed generations - my parents liked it!

I would like to think this is a tongue-in-cheek comment, Mystic Fred Big%20smile

One of the great things to me is when my kids "discover" some artist or piece of music outside of my home and when they tell me about it I just happen to pull it out of the collection that is right under their noses! One day they will start to trawl through what I have just to see what is there Tongue

On the subject of kids, I had a great experience taking my two eldest boys to see Heaven And Hell (aka Black Sabbath) in concert here in Perth, Western Australia the other week. All three of us got into the concert ... Iommi & Dio were in fine form ... we were all blown away by the drum solo ... and we all hated Down, the support act ... all in all a pretty good night of generation gap bridging Wink
"Without prog, life would be a mistake."

...with apologies to Friedrich Nietzsche
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 22:01
Originally posted by T.Rox T.Rox wrote:

...but "Pepper" was lauded by all and sundry as totally groundbreaking, the only downside was that it also crossed generations - my parents liked it!

I would like to think this is a tongue-in-cheek comment, Mystic Fred Big%20smile

One of the great things to me is when my kids "discover" some artist or piece of music outside of my home and when they tell me about it I just happen to pull it out of the collection that is right under their noses! One day they will start to trawl through what I have just to see what is there Tongue

On the subject of kids, I had a great experience taking my two eldest boys to see Heaven And Hell (aka Black Sabbath) in concert here in Perth, Western Australia the other week. All three of us got into the concert ... Iommi & Dio were in fine form ... we were all blown away by the drum solo ... and we all hated Down, the support act ... all in all a pretty good night of generation gap bridging Wink

Clap now that is giving the kids a good musical education hahahha.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
meinmatrix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2007 at 05:49

Sgt Pepper achieved the main goal 99% of musicians wish to achieve - it was technically groundbreaking, musically innovative and its appeal reached out to millions of people all over the world whether they were into classical, reggae or any kind of musical genre or nationality - who else has managed that - DSOTM could be another good example, or the "White" album that followed?   That had many detractors, but "Pepper" was lauded by all and sundry as totally groundbreaking, the only downside was that it also crossed generations - my parents liked it!
As for being overrated amongst other Beatle music from the same period, Pepper wouldn't have been made without Revolver, and much on the MMT album was written around the same time but not originally intended for one album;  "Walrus" was an extremely outstanding song amongst others written specifically for the MMT TV special and "Fool on the Hill" was written during the Pepper sessions, "Hello Goodbye" "Strawberry Fields" and "All you need is Love" were originally 45 rpm singles, the most popular format at the time and not intended for album inclusion - radically  there were no singles released off  "Pepper" in the UK at the time, the album was intended to be listened to as a single entity  (another band who later adopted this anti -single philosophy permanently was Led Zeppelin).
It is easy to criticise in retrospect - Pepper is not overrated.
Smile

Excatly my thoughts and a great introduction to the background of this 1967 release. Thank you!

akin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2007 at 15:38
I was about to express my opinion, but Ivanīs statement already summarizes it. It was not a person or a small group that decided that Sgt. Peppers was groundbreaking. It was naturally groundbreaking, like you or not the album. And you can confirm this because it is part of the well-recorded history. You can do a detailed search and learned how it was important at different places and times.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>