Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My lesser known and unknown new prog bands thread
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMy lesser known and unknown new prog bands thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 51>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2007 at 20:15
If I had money I would own them all...

I have 3 dollars and no job Approve.
akiko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2007 at 20:54
My this is amazing.  Great work.  Where do you find the time to dedicate to such comprehensive endeavor?
Schizoid Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2007 at 23:40
Thank You Erik.

Always on the look out for new music.

Clap
Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 00:38
^Get your own name!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mrgd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 00:44
What a great critique. An invaluable 'heads up' on newer and promising bands. Helps us to realise just how strong this music is worldwide.
Looking still the same after all these years...
mrgd
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 07:52
Yeah, I need to discover this much new prog music like I need another hole in my head.  Dang it! Pinch
Prog Archives give me back my life!
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 08:00

Thanks for your very positive posts Thumbs%20Up 

Well, fellow progheads, it takes less time than you think to create this database because on the hard disc of my computer I own a huge collection of reviews I made for several progrock magazines in the last 15 years. So the only thing I have to do is to make a compilation of reviews and then put it on a thread on the Forum. Of course that takes time but it's fun, in the early Nineties I was delighted about Greg Walker his Syn-Phonic - and Ken Golden his Laser's Edge catalogue (loaded with small descriptions about the Seventies Italian Prog), for me it was a kind of small Progrock Bible, now I have made my version Wink

Johnobvious, just but that 3-CD compilation, Nexus and Simon Says are awesome, almost worth to buy it Clap

Edited by erik neuteboom - August 09 2007 at 08:04
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 08:08
well done =) i'm not especially into symphonic rock but your reviews are a good read.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 10:18
Excellent reviews.  Of these, I particularly wish to mention Kotebel's Omphalos.  The music can seem a little over-busy, and perhaps the mind of the composer is too apparent (it doesn't sound spontaneous, nor is it, and it demands compositional analysis as one listens -- rather than just enjoying the music and letting it flow over you, one is very aware of how the composer is structuring the music, and what he's trying to do with it) but it is very enjoyable even if comes across, at times, as something of a compositional exercise.  Well-structured though,  It's the vocals that hooked me particularly (having been able to download Mercury Pentacle at Kotebel's site before buying the album).

That was a revelatory album for me when it came out as I didn't know much modern Prog.  I quickly picked up the other Kotebel albums (this and Fragments of Light are my favourite Kotebel releases).

I like operatic vocals in Prog.

Anyway, I may not listen to symph on the whole as much as I once did (still many classic French bands in that category that I listen to regularly -- Arachnoid, Carpe Diem, Clearlight...), and I'm not sure what percentage of these are symph, (but lots of lush music and symph is your particular fave) but your list is a great reminder for me that there's lots of great music to hear that Erik Neuteboom likes. Big%20smile

Anyway, excellent job.  I only you could publish (well you could, anyone can) a book utilisng many of your reviews and articles (perhaps focusing on Mellotrons in Prog).

Edited by Logan - August 09 2007 at 11:28
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
LeInsomniac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 10:41
As allways erik surpreends us all, I didnt had time to see all the reviews, some of the groups I already know and own (thanks to erikClap) but it almost made me cry the fact that i don't know almost 80 % of the groups and albums, and that i already own so much stuff i haven't heard and still dont know very much, that if i tried to acquire all these groups and albums i would have to spend an entire week just listening to them (which with the proper side dishes I wouldnt mind) thanks erik for the contribution, hoping the day your symphonic thread makes one year, and when the Symforce happens all of the progheads that will be there (myself included) will party in honor of that happening! keep the prog work! 

Happy Family One Hand Clap, Four Went On But None Came Back
glass house View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 10:47

Erik, about Logan's remark about a book, I thought you mentioned something like that?

Your an economy on your own, people will buy and buy from your recommendations.

Those reviews are handy as a database, I have loads of band names on pieces of paper lying around. Tongue

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 11:49
I am really touched by your enthousiastic posts Clapand I hope to hear very soon from you that my reviews have lead to new discoveries, that's my main goal with this thread.

Glass House, it has crossed my mind to publish a book about symphonic prog, embellished with the many interviews I did with progrock musicians/bands and the specials I wrote about vintage keyboards like the Mellotron. But on the other hand, if I do it this way, it's OK to me.

At this moment I am listening to the new Galahad album, quite compelling experience, I hope they will visit Holland very soon Approve

And I have updated the database by adding Anima Mundi and Aether (Latin-Prog) and lots of interesting new Italian bands Thumbs%20Up

Edited by erik neuteboom - August 09 2007 at 12:50
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 14:54
The new Galahad looks like a winner and I will be getting it soon.  Never heard of the band until very recently but it looks like their long career has reached a peak with this new effort.
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 15:40

I witnessed a triple concert featuring Galahad in the early Nineties in Paradiso (Amsterdam), it was one of the most disappointing concerts I have ever seen and especially Galahad was terrible, way too loud, after a few songs almost everybody when to the bar in order to drink away their frustrations about Galahad its bad performance Ouch So when I listened to the new CD and watched the DVD, I was very pleasantly surprised about the 'new Galahad', they have turned into a very interesting and unique sounding progrock band, a big hand for Galahad Clap

Johnobvious, I have just added the Odyssey 3-CD to this database, what an euphoric review when I look back at it after one year Wink

Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 16:32
Erik, if only I had a job where I could work night shifts. I would attempt to take your approach to music and reviewing - although I would very likely fail miserably. Clap
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 16:41

Well Angelo, I don't like nightshifts (my Border Collie Lola don't understand that I want to sleep at daylight Wacko ) but it's perfect to watch DVD's and listen to music .. and it pays very well Approve

About my way of reviewing, it's something that I have build up in 15 years, keep that in mind instead of saying that you would "fail miserably" because that is a negative approach, you should focus on your good points and build up your qualities gradually and, last but not least, have fun while writing, that has always been my main goal, FUN!

Edited by erik neuteboom - August 09 2007 at 16:45
glass house View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 16:45
Angelo and Erik, maybe that is a idea for a thread. A thread where experienced reviewers give their help to lesser experienced reviewers? If needed afcourse.

Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 17:01
Erik - I wasn't completely serious about being afraid to fail, it was a way of complimenting (it's a style thing for which I don't recall the name Wink). However, it is still difficult to squeeze out a decent review, I have about 40 drafts that I can finish, but I just don't get around to polishing and publishing them here.

That makes me like Tony's proposal - it could be worth a try. And it might just solve some of the issues brought up on the forums about the quality of reviews.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Speesh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 17:10
Impressive! Thanks so much, I've been looking into newer progressive bands recently. I'll have to start by looking for that After Crying live show! Thanks again! Clap
MajesterX View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 19:30
I don't see the point in starting or listening to a band that tries to re-create 70's symph. prog rock.

The time of progressive rock as it was in the 70's is over, new bands should draw some influence in moderation from those bands, and try to create their own category of music.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 51>