Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCredibility

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 03:12
Thanks Atavachron.  This site has exemplary "quality control" measures in place.  Despite the fact that this site aims to be the "ultimate progressive rock resource," the staff/ management do not just include every potential candidate in order to be the most comprehensive -- each is debated, and even when one has been cleared, time and effort is taken to include it "right."

It is also quite something that the Powers that Be, while including many Prog categories that fall under the Prog umbrella, have resisted including categories such as Progressive Funk (okay, yes I would like it), Progressive Disco, Progressive Rap-Fusion, Progressive House, and Progressive Doo-Wop Fusion etc.  Imagine the number of people a Progressive Boy-Band category could bring?
Oh, and if Menudo ain't Prog... Hmm, okay, my inclusionism does know bounds.
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 03:21
Well, I suppose that it is (or should be) a matter of reality checks rather than aural sympathies. Too often I think that people reject some things because they don't "sound" prog...

However, some musical "artforms" just cannot properly utilize progressive ideals. For examples, I somehow doubt that a prog-rap thing could ever happen, since rap is based on a very simple, streamlined beat and someone talking. Any attempts to "prog it up" would be silly at best, or ear destructive otherwise. Can you imagine a ten minute rap with a lush, baroque counter melody in the background?
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
GentleGiant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 03:48
Hi,folks
I think that one of the essence of this "dilema" it's generating by the different era when
the PA member meets for the first time with the prog music.Different visions,different opinions, different tastes.Personnally, I grow with '70 classical prog and I'm quite sure that the visions of the "2000 generation" it's different with mine,but this is nothing wrong just show again the diversity of PA members.PROG MEANS DIVERSITY
Sorry for my english grammar Ouch
BeGiantForADay

"This British band is just the cup of tea for aficionados who demand virtuosity,progress and originality in their mix."

http://rateyourmusic.com/~GentleG
meinmatrix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 04:05
Originally posted by P.H.P. P.H.P. wrote:

I can almost smell the teen and metal spirit here with bands like Blind Guardian, Radiohead, Tool included as prog, among many others, this site is supposed to be a prog rock resource not an alternative, metal or anything resource

Smells like teen spirit? Haha now that's a fun way to put it. I've had similar issues with couple posters who are obviously Toolheads et cetera. It can be very limiting if one band blocks your view of entire genre called prog. But this site, as a whole, has 99.99% valid information and majority of regular writers are very aware of the big picture. Don't let the 0.01% fool you into believing that true prog has left the building because that is not the case. Progarchives will be around for decades to come. And also best prog will be around no matter how many fake attempts come and go. Trust me on this one brother. Wink

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 04:09
Originally posted by GentleGiant GentleGiant wrote:

I grow with '70 classical prog and I'm quite sure that the visions of the "2000 generation" it's different with mine, but this is nothing wrong just show again the diversity of PA members. PROG MEANS DIVERSITY

Gentle Giant i agree with you 100%. I grew up with '80s Marillion prog and commercial Genesis albums. My view on prog was very limited at the time. But then later on i discovered all the classic prog bands. Today i feel that it is a priviledge to have ability to take all the best albums from ALL DECADES. Smile

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 04:11

Hello, first post here in ProgArchives, or should I say AnythingArchives?, let me be honest this site was sort of good once for what I remember, kind of trusty, but the time (and some people) have done damage to this project, now I can tell you seriously you have lost credibility in matters of prog, I can almost smell the teen and metal spirit here with bands like Blind Guardian, Radiohead, Tool included as prog, among many others, this site is supposed to be a prog rock resource not an alternative, metal or anything resource, there are many metal sites and this one is for our beloved prog; and yes I've noticed changes in your genre sorting, I think it was fine with "art rock", but now, crossover prog?, heavy prog?, eclectic prog? what's that¿¿??...

I really think definitions tend to be useless with prog, it's something you guys must experience, really, take this as a honest advice, and if you want to be reliable, let's do it, so let's get back to prog, guys!

Sorry that you feel this way, but judging from the things you said it appears like you "didn't do your homework" on the bands you mention. First of all: "teen and metal spirit"? Blind Guardian, Radiohead, Tool - they all started in the late 80s/early 90s and most of their members are in their 40s now, as are many of their fans and the collabs/admins who agreed to their inclusion.

And "crossover prog", "heavy prog", "eclectic prog" ... those are essentially sub divisions of art rock. No new bands were introduced with these new categories.

"I really think definitions tend to be useless with prog" ... so are you suggesting to remove all genres? Well, you can simply browse the artists A-Z if you want to. But if you don't like metal you'll probably be thankful for us guys in the prog metal team to identify these bands so you can avoid them easily. Wink

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - September 01 2007 at 04:12
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 04:12
I don't care for Rainbow, Blind Guardian or anything metal, and it pains me that they attract so much attention here, but I can see why they deserve their place. I also get the impression Admin agonises enough before deciding to include new bands! The fact remains that (as far as I know) no other website offers you such a wealth of reviews of "proper" prog, whether obscure or not. Not to mention the Prog Music Forum, which can be incredibly informative and entertaining! Moaning that Progarchives have lost their standards just makes no sense. But in view of the expanded number of artists Progarchives now provides, I'd like to point out (once again) that it's the highest time to include the following:

- David Torn
- Terje Rypdal
- Eberhard Weber
- (especially) Daevid Allen!

Cheerio,
Fuxi
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 04:12
Originally posted by The Whistler The Whistler wrote:

However, some musical "artforms" just cannot properly utilize progressive ideals. For examples, I somehow doubt that a prog-rap thing could ever happen, since rap is based on a very simple, streamlined beat and someone talking. Any attempts to "prog it up" would be silly at best, or ear destructive otherwise. Can you imagine a ten minute rap with a lush, baroque counter melody in the background?

Well, since Opeth managed to pull it with putting Death Metal and Melodic Prog together, why not? I could imagine a rap epic. Someone just has to do it.

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Sorry that you feel this way, but judging from the things you said it appears like you "didn't do your homework" on the bands you mention. First of all: "teen and metal spirit"? Blind Guardian, Radiohead, Tool - they all started in the late 80s/early 90s and most of their members are in their 40s now, as are many of their fans and the collabs/admins who agreed to their inclusion.

I think original poster refers to the majority of fans who listen to those bands. But then again, young people also listen to all kinds of prog so no big deal. We all been young.

Edited by meinmatrix - September 01 2007 at 04:18
Novalis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 04:17

We shouldn't confuse whether we like a band and whether a band is "prog" or not, as much as some of us would like to.

Remember that bands like Tool, Radiohead etc., while not everything they have done is "prog", without them many of us would never have found King Crimson, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Anglagard etc. Call them "gateway bands" if you will.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 04:19

For examples, I somehow doubt that a prog-rap thing could ever happen, since rap is based on a very simple, streamlined beat and someone talking. Any attempts to "prog it up" would be silly at best, or ear destructive otherwise. Can you imagine a ten minute rap with a lush, baroque counter melody in the background?

http://www.myspace.com/dalek

Big%20smile
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 04:32

Thanks to the collaborators and regular members who have already responded here, you have done a great job of explaining the site policy.

ProgArchives does not want to be just another prog site. Our objective is to be the definitive prog site, the one people come to first.

We cast our net wider than some other sites through the Prog Related and Proto Prog categories. Bands in these categories are by definition not prog, but have either influenced prog or been influenced by it. By including these bands, we believe we can attract people to the site who would otherwise not visit it. We can then show them how these bands relate to prog, and how they might find prog bands and artists who they will also enjoy.

We make no apology for this. If we are going to extend the awareness of prog, we need to bring people into the site first. If you are looking for a small, backwater, purist site, this is not the right place to come. If you want to share your enthusiasm for prog with a larger audience, ProgArchives is exactly the right place to be.
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 05:13
necessary evils aside, I think these three new sub-sub-categories of prog are going to have to prove themselves to all the new users before anyone takes them seriously. I'm sure they make sense, but their names are very artificial and I can see why it's easy for someone to roll their eyes at them right now, and worst of all, I think people are sick of King Crimson being moved all the time - It's not a vote of confidence for the site, considering that they're the exemplary prog band and no-one has any idea where to put them from year to year.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 05:28
Crimson aren't being 'moved', it just seems that way, an illusion.. they remain an Eclectic prog band as they were when they were an 'Art' band.

The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 05:51

For examples, I somehow doubt that a prog-rap thing could ever happen, since rap is based on a very simple, streamlined beat and someone talking. Any attempts to "prog it up" would be silly at best, or ear destructive otherwise. Can you imagine a ten minute rap with a lush, baroque counter melody in the background?

Big%20smile

...Why do I suddenly feel very happy that my dial up doesn't allow me to hear Myspace bands?
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 05:54
P.H.P. View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 13:28
Prog rock music has no limits, it is totally experimental, imaginative, inventive, intelligent, it certainly has a meaning, but through decades it HAS BEEN sort of delimited, it's not about how many prog rock characteristics a band could fill (if we let that be the guide of this site, tons of bands would be included day after day, don't you think?), it's something you just know when you got the necessary experience in prog rock, it's out of definitions of this kind or novelty tags, when it's prog it's certainly prog! end of the history, and about "progressive metal" area, I'm myself open-minded as we all should be, but the difference is to be effective and careful with prog, I'm no musical hater (as I feel some of you may be), I'm a music lover, I can appreciatte good efforts of music in almost every style, even the heaviers.

But as the name of the site is "ProgArchives", let's focus in new or old prog rock acts to include here, forget how related a band is to prog, when it's simply not prog, it doesn't deserves to be here, there are probably tons of site covering that kind of bands out there, I would like this site could count with more mature rewievers, so it can be more objective and of course only focused on prog.

Peace, and many thanks you all you who positively answered my post.
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 13:43

Big%20smile

...Why do I suddenly feel very happy that my dial up doesn't allow me to hear Myspace bands?

I don't know about Dälek having Baroque qualities, but he's music is certainly lush specially on his two latest albums. He has a song on his "From Filthy Tongue Of God and Griots" that's 12 minutes long. It's one of the weirdest "hip-hop" songs I've heard.

Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 14:01

Prog rock music has no limits, it is totally experimental, imaginative, inventive, intelligent, it certainly has a meaning, but through decades it HAS BEEN sort of delimited, it's not about how many prog rock characteristics a band could fill (if we let that be the guide of this site, tons of bands would be included day after day, don't you think?), it's something you just know when you got the necessary experience in prog rock, it's out of definitions of this kind or novelty tags, .

What you say is simply not true of Prog Rock. You are describing progressive music, which is palpably not the same. The experience that you allude to tells us that Prog Rock was a time and a place and not necessarily a movement. You stated that "Prog rock music has no limits, it is totally experimental, imaginative, inventive, intelligent" but that is just a fanciful generalisation and exaggeration. Genesis and Yes "totally experimental"? I think not. Indeed they were, to devotees at least, "imaginative and inventive" and "intelligent" but these are ultimately not very useful terms for the basis of your argument. Radiohead and Tool are far more experimental and delimited than many of the so-called "Classic Prog Rock Bands". I have no love for either band but your argument is nonsensical and ill-informed, borne of petty snobbery rather than any real feel or "experience" of the genre.
This site intends to be as inclusive as possible and we turn down many bands, to the fury and despair of their promoters. As my colleague "Easy Livin'" so eloquently stated in a previous post, if you want to use other sites that have a far narrower, and some might say "blinkered" view of the Prog Rock spectrum, then be our guest. Smile

bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 15:08

Prog rock music has no limits, it is totally experimental, imaginative, inventive, intelligent, it certainly has a meaning, but through decades it HAS BEEN sort of delimited, it's not about how many prog rock characteristics a band could fill (if we let that be the guide of this site, tons of bands would be included day after day, don't you think?), it's something you just know when you got the necessary experience in prog rock, it's out of definitions of this kind or novelty tags, when it's prog it's certainly prog! end of the history, and about "progressive metal" area, I'm myself open-minded as we all should be, but the difference is to be effective and careful with prog, I'm no musical hater (as I feel some of you may be), I'm a music lover, I can appreciatte good efforts of music in almost every style, even the heaviers.But as the name of the site is "ProgArchives", let's focus in new or old prog rock acts to include here, forget how related a band is to prog, when it's simply not prog, it doesn't deserves to be here, there are probably tons of site covering that kind of bands out there, I would like this site could count with more mature rewievers, so it can be more objective and of course only focused on prog.Peace, and many thanks you all you who positively answered my post.

Once again I will invite you (among others ) to explore the large database of prog bands we have here. Don't dismiss something on the surface. I can assure you that we have added many more full prog bands in recent months than proto/related. The Symphonic team has added at least 6 that I can think of off the top of my head. As Mike said, do your homework.

Edited by bhikkhu - September 01 2007 at 15:13
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 19:34
Originally posted by chamberry chamberry wrote:

I don't know about Dälek having Baroque qualities, but he's music is certainly lush specially on his two latest albums. He has a song on his "From Filthy Tongue Of God and Griots" that's 12 minutes long. It's one of the weirdest "hip-hop" songs I've heard.

I don't think that there are any Baroque qualities in Dälek's music, but it's Rap/Hip-Hop which is really unusual and not what you would normally expect if you only know Rap/Hip-Hop from the charts. But the connection to prog is certainly not made by symphonic/classical elements, it's more in the Post Rock/Experimental corner.Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>