Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 17:43
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

1. Messiaen's "Turangaglia Symphonie"

2. Rakhmaninov's Piano Concerti

3. Dvorak's Cello Concerto

4. Penderecki's "Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima"

5. Vivaldi's "Gloria" (possibly the most perfect piece of choral music ever written, after the completed sections of Mozart's "Requiem").

Turangaglia Symphonie stands on its own as one odd piece of music and has some similarities to more adventurous progressive bands. It uses the Ondes Martenot, an early electronic keyboard that often sounds like something from an early science fiction movie, but more sophisticated than a theremin.

It is one of those pieces that sounds "modern" in any era, sort of like those 60s synth lounge records only less kitschy.

Edited by Easy Money - October 10 2007 at 17:45
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 18:17
Originally posted by Dick Heath Dick Heath wrote:

Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

If you're into King Crimson or Henry Cow, you'll probably enjoy Stravinsky and Bartok. If you like ambient music, try Toru Takemitsu's DREAM/WINDOW, TREE LINE and IN AN AUTUMN GARDEN...

Checking out the liner notes of  the first two East Of Eden albums last night and noted one tune was annotated: "Based on a Bartok string quartet". I've heard the connection between Bartok and KC made a number of times. So my question: with which Bartok String Quartet should I start?

Just buzzed through some Bartok looking for the Crimson parts, I have been curious about this too as Fripp said his aim was to mix Chuck Berry with Bartok.

The 5th movement of quartet number 4 sounds like Fripp himself. The 4th and 2nd movements are close too.
Also 3rd movement of the 6th quartet
2nd movement of No 2.
Some of the other records have less clear track divisions but I would say opening and closing of number 5 and apprx. 2nd movement No 3.

Edited by Easy Money - October 10 2007 at 18:45
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 18:43
no-one mentioned Gustav Mahler so far, so I will: his symphonies (especially the 9th), his "Kindertotenlieder", his "Lied von der Erde", the "Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen"; all of these are highly recommended.

another one that hasn't been mentioned: Robert Schumann. here I recommend his symphonies (especially his 3rd, the "Rheinische"), his "Dichterliebe" (a song cycle based on the lyrics of German poet Heinrich Heine), his a-minor piano concerto and "Manfred", a melodram based on the lyrics of Lord Byron. and since I am just listening to them on the radio: his 3 romances for clarinet and piano.

last but not least: Franz Schubert. here I recommend "Die Winterreise", a song cycle (try to get the version with Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau singing), his trout quintet, the string quartet Nr. 14 ("Death and the Maiden"), "Die schöne Müllerin" (another song cycle), his "unfinished" symphony in B-minor and his C-Major symphony (by today's usual way of counting his 8th; there was and is a bit of confusion and complication about counting his symphonies) and his many, many Lieder (over 600)

Edited by BaldJean - October 10 2007 at 19:26

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 18:48
And if you want go past the decomposing composers, there's Steve Reich and Philip Glass.  Though they'd probably not be considered classical by classical music purists.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Hirgwath View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 19:31
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

And if you want go past the decomposing composers, there's Steve Reich and Philip Glass.  Though they'd probably not be considered classical by classical music purists.

Glass's "Pruitt Igoe" is one of my favorite classical pieces ever. I need to see Koyaanisqatsi.

Skwisgaar Skwigelf: taller than a tree.

Toki Wartooth: not a bumblebee.
sircosick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 19:40
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

no-one mentioned Gustav Mahler so far, so I will: his symphonies (especially the 9th), his "Kindertotenlieder", his "Lied von der Erde", the "Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen"; all of these are highly recommended.

another one that hasn't been mentioned: Robert Schumann. here I recommend his symphonies (especially his 3rd, the "Rheinische"), his "Dichterliebe" (a song cycle based on the lyrics of German poet Heinrich Heine), his a-minor piano concerto and "Manfred", a melodram based on the lyrics of Lord Byron. and since I am just listening to them on the radio: his 3 romances for clarinet and piano.

last but not least: Franz Schubert. here I recommend "Die Winterreise", a song cycle (try to get the version with Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau singing), his trout quintet, the string quartet Nr. 14 ("Death and the Maiden"), "Die schöne Müllerin" (another song cycle), his "unfinished" symphony in B-minor and his C-Major symphony (by today's usual way of counting his 8th; there was and is a bit of confusion and complication about counting his symphonies) and his many, many Lieder (over 600)

My bad....... I forgot Mahler. Kindertotenlieder is a masterpiece too Big%20smile
The best you can is good enough...
Soul Dreamer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 23:10
I recently saw the movie "Copying Beethoven" and I think the 9th symphony of Beethoven is one of the greatest I ever heard...Great movie btw!
Next to that, Chopin's 1th and 2nd piano concert are absolutely fabulous. I have the performance of Maria Joao Pires and the Orchestre National de l'Opera de Monte Carlo on Erato, and I love it...
To be the one who seeks so I may find .. (Metallica)
sean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2007 at 00:01
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

As you mentioned Schumann, his piece "Erlkonig",based on the poem by Goethe is one i find very enjoyable.
Also, if you are to look into Robert Schumann, i recommend looking into some of his wife Clara's work. She too was an excellent pianist, perhaps even better than her husband.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2007 at 00:12
pretty much anything by these 20th century rebels;  Honegger, Ives, Prokofiev, Barber, as well as earlier composers like Satie, Faure and Brahms 
sean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2007 at 00:42
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

pretty much anything by these 20th century rebels;  Honegger, Ives, Prokofiev, Barber, as well as earlier composers like Satie, Faure and Brahms 

i still haven't listened to satie, although i greatly desire to ever since someone told me a piano piece i had composed reminded them of me. what would say is a good starting place for satie?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2007 at 00:57
well of course his classic 'Gymnopedies' series is famous and very beautiful..  but you can't really go wrong with Satie, though the pieces may get a bit repetitive.. remember it was mostly written as salon music, to be in the background..  kind of early ambient

Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2007 at 01:19
He called it furniture music. Big influence on the creation of ambient music.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2007 at 02:54
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

1. Messiaen's "Turangaglia Symphonie"

3. Dvorak's Cello Concerto

4. Penderecki's "Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima"

5. Vivaldi's "Gloria" (possibly the most perfect piece of choral music ever written, after the completed sections of Mozart's "Requiem").

Turangaglia Symphonie stands on its own as one odd piece of music and has some similarities to more adventurous progressive bands. It uses the Ondes Martenot, an early electronic keyboard that often sounds like something from an early science fiction movie, but more sophisticated than a theremin.

It is one of those pieces that sounds "modern" in any era, sort of like those 60s synth lounge records only less kitschy.

I've often heard proggers quoting Dvorak's Cello Concerto as the first piece of Prog (note, not Prog Rock!) ever - but personally, I think that honour goes to Beethoven's 6th Symphony, with the 5th being a kind of Proto-Prog Wink
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
cacha71 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2007 at 04:25
Not really a fan of classical music but Orff's Carmina Burana deserves a mention here...
http://www.last.fm/group/Progressive+Folk
A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2007 at 05:09
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

The more recent music by Philip Glass sounds "classical" rather than "minimalist" to me. I really like his Violin Concerto.
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2007 at 05:19
John Adams,The Kronos Quartet and Arvo Part are a few of my favourite 'modernists'.

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
proger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2007 at 16:15
Originally posted by paolo.beenees paolo.beenees wrote:

There's plenty of good classical music... where should I start from? I'll try to suggest something:
- Renaissance Polyphony is amazing: Palestrina and Despres are my favourite ones.

- Monteverdi's "Magnificat" and "Arianna's Lament"

- Baroque classical music is astounding: Vivaldi (besides his Four Seasons, try some religious music, like for instance the impressive "Nullo Mundo Pax Sincera"), Marcello, Corelli, Pachelbel (his canon is one of the most moving pieces in classical music), Purcell (his "Ode on St. Cecilia's Day" is simply wonderful)

- Bach is something completely different, my favourite one. Just listen how he could turn mathematics into trascendental music in his "Organ Variations on the Choral Von Himmel Hoch Da Komm'Ich Her"; I also go crazy for his "Goldberg Variations" (any version goes)

- Honestly, and there's no reason why, I'm not so fond of piano. But Ravel's piano concertos are really fundamental

- Stravinskij is a genius. Not only for the "Firebird" and the "Sacre du Printemps"; his "Les Noces" (I don't know if in English they are translated as "The Wedding") are really worth the while

- Contemporary classic is challenging, but also extremely rewarding. Try with Ligeti's "Lux Aeterna", Nono's "Il Canto Sospeso" and Stockhausen's "Kontakte".

...ok, let me add Mozart's "Zauberflote"

well thank very much! I love palestrina too...

I know some of your stuff, Im trying to download this stuff but its hard...
...live for tomorrow...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2007 at 16:20

god I love Rachmaninoff's  work... which one though...  3 is the famous one... many including myself think the 2nd is best of the four

My favorite has ALWAYS been Rhapsody of a theme of Paganini.  That music will touch your sou.. it there is one that can be touched. 

Edited by micky - October 11 2007 at 16:21
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 00:09
Bach's Cello and Lute Suites are good on both their original instruments and arranged for guitar

Beethoven's 5th and 9th symphonies are obvious starts although I prefer his various piano sonatas.

Chopin's nocturnes and mazurkas

Philip Glass's Civil Wars, and Music in 12 Parts

Steve Reich's piano phase, electric counter point, and trains

Dvorak's New World  Symphony (no. 9).  His other symphonies are good too and not nearly as appreciated as they should be.

Holst's The Planets

John Dowland's songs for lute

Isaac Albeniz's piano works (also arranged for guitar like the mega-famous Asturias/Leyenda)

Nikita Koshkin's The Elves Suite (guitar)

Stravinski's Spring Sacrifice is a start

Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherezade

Bartok, Berlioz, and Brahms are good ones too! Bartok is far more different from the other two B's as he was modern, but he is great.
zicIy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 00:57
i like to reccomend:  Girolamo Diruta - ´IL TRANSILVANO´
check it out , google it - an amazing organ stuff composed by fra Girolamo Diruta, in Venice in the year of 1593, in the honour and dedicated to His Highness, Sigismund Bathory, The Prince Of Transilvania!  a real "vampire style" organ music, imho! Wink

Edited by zicIy - October 12 2007 at 02:19
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>