Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed1, 2, 3, 4. I declare a shredding war!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2008 at 21:55
Well this weekend, I was going to put some more work than I usually do, on 5 and 6 string sweep picking patterns. At current I'm working on Lucretia-Megadeth, specifically the Marty Friedman solo, mostly because it has great feeling, and gets you to work more on bending and vibrato (I'm one of those guys that loves his wide vibrato and Friedman is a master at it IMO), plus his licks in that solo just seem to go all over the fretboard (it's a really cool solo to watch it be done properly), so bending, vibrato, phrasing and there is a sweep picked lick in there as well.
SpaceMonkey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2008 at 21:57
I'll check out the song, haven't heard that particular one.
Passionist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2008 at 06:03
Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

Just wondering, what picks will people you guys be using? Last Sunday I got a 12 pack of Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm, hardly any flex and pretty good grip and so far, the best picks I've ever used. Prior to that I was using Fender Heavys, which were a little more flexible, so I guess they were about 0.95mm or something.
The Fender Heavys were $4.95 Aus for 12, while the Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm cost $7.95 Aus, but IMHO, it was well worth the extra cost.

I'm afraid I've lost all my VoodooLab plectrums, which were the ones I ordered from abroad and constantly used. However, I found a replacement which is almost as good, and yellow. That is Ernie Ball (heavy). Strong but slim, just the way I like it.

Also, the start will be painful. I cut my finger while chopping onions yesterday Well, I'll just take the pain or use a plaster, which makes playing a lot harder. I was thinking I'd learn some of these songs that i've forgotten, like Moonlight Shadow of Mike Oldfield, Carry on Wayward Son by Kansas, YYZ by Rush, nothing too difficult for starters Kind of like, 2 hours in the morning, then 4 hours studying, then 2 hours playing and then fingerpractise before bedtime!
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2008 at 17:35

9:19  am here in Melbourne, nice sunny day that makes me want to skateboard, but no time, cos the shred off starts todaySmile. Yesterday at the doctor's clinic, I had a spirometry test and a blood test (due to a suspected chest or related infection). A nurse tried to get blood from my right arm, but for some reason nothing went into the syringe, so she had to get some from my left arm. The annoying part about this, is that my left arm is feeling perfectly fine, and yet despite not getting any blood from it, 19 hours later the right arm is still sore and it's preventing me from alternating picking at any pace. So for now me and Passionist have injuries (although mine should be all cleared up by tommmorow I hope).

So today, it looks like legato practice will be the go, It's now 9:31 (yeah, it took me so long to type it cos I was on other forums and watching youtubeGeek). I have to go out at 5:50pm, so including a lunch break, and the obligatory break periods to prevent injury anyway, I should have a little over 7 hours. That is, if the right arm doesn't give up the ghost even with just small downstrokes, in which case I'll stop before I injure my arm.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2008 at 18:38
Damn it, my right arm is seriously too sore to play at all for nowCry. Perhaps I wait either a few more hours, or perhaps until tommorow.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2008 at 22:10
A friend of mine was promoted this morning and we had a nice breakfest shortly after. It noon now and  plan on heading back to bed in about nowish so I'l get started in about 2 hours.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2008 at 22:28

Well it seemed my arm got a bit better now, so I've been playing for the past hour. A little breakdown of what I've down so far: alternate picking in 16th note triplets (from 80bpm to 110bpm), in 16th notes (from 150bpm to 180bpm), playing the guitar solos from Ozzy Osbournes (or should I say Randy Rhoad's'Wink) Mr Crowley, and now about embark on some sweep picking.

Edited by HughesJB4 - February 29 2008 at 22:28
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 06:10
So I woke up at noon. Time to start shredding I guess. I wen't to a gig yesterday and now I'm hung over. I hope that won't affect my learning abilities :)
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 20:41
You guys have inspired me to practice more.  Only about half an hour a night, but it's certainly better than nothing.  Maybe I'll actually improve now!  

Barla View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 20:55
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 21:42
Originally posted by Barla Barla wrote:

You people have seen these ones?:

LOL Clap

Amazing!!

Those videos are hilarious. They are still as funny today as they were the first time I saw them ages agoBig%20smile.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 22:01
Originally posted by Barla Barla wrote:

You people have seen these ones?:

LOL Clap

Amazing!!

They were extremely helpful in the past.LOL It helped me with my arpeggios of doom and my shredding of the face off technique.

Edited by SpaceMonkey - March 01 2008 at 22:12
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 22:20
As it is, last night was the last party I'm going to for a while (I went because I organised to go before the shred challenge had even seen light anyway). I had 4 hours sleep since then and well, I had a fair amount to drink as well, but again, last night was the last time I drink for a while, as I've decided I'm not drinking for the rest of the month. But enough rant.....
Today, well I've lost time again from sleeping from 9am till 12:30, and then just going on all the usual forums I go on until now.
Today, I gotta get my 16th note triplet alternate picking happening again, plus work on sweep arpeggios patterns with an added right hand tap.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 22:24
Oh and this looks really scary, but I really want to learn this lick http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q_r8DD1GCE. I've been a Shawn Lane fan for a little while now, and his inspired me a fair bit.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 22:29

I finally looked into Shawn Lane maybe about a week ago after seeing his name pop up a lot lately. I thought Rusty Cooley was the top guy whenit came to speed, but Shawn is just so much more innovative with it all. Truely amazing. I'm still trying track down as much info as I can from Mr. Lane. I plan on buying his cd's soon also.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 22:39
It's awesome your a Land and Cooley fan as wellSmile.
I've got a lot of homework for school over the next 4 days (I'm repeating the final year after failing last year from playing guitar too much and partying too hard and a whole range of other reasons), so I'll only be playing 3 hours a day until next friday, where I'll have the chance to play 6 or even more hours.
I've gotta head off now, to see if my friend with his Roland Cube 30 recording amp is available for me to record to some stuff today. Oh and btw, it's 2:39 here, just wondering what time it is where you are, to get a better idea of when you will be practicing when I'm at school or asleep etc.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 23:08

The time isn't off by too much. You're down in Aust and I'm up here in Okinawa. So the time stamp for your last post is 12:40 PM, sweet, only a two hour difference between us. I'll only be here for another 4 months until I get stationed in San Diego, California.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 08:42
Feelings from Finland after the first day: I did do quite a few hours, though not sure how many because I was very drunk. Yeah, I think I might need to do it all again some other day. Saturday was pretty wild, and now I'm feeling like the day after at its best :P
Statutory-Mike View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 13:21
Yesterday's 6 hours went fine..but 3 of them were at a band practice...I started working on "Satch Boogie"...pretty fun song, we'll see how the rest of the month goes Wink
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2008 at 18:24
Last night, I went to my friend's house, Billy (whom I've been trying to convince to join the forum tooTongue) who's a bass player. I played guitar from 8:15 until 11:30. During that time, I was recording a song we were going to do for music class for school, and then over the main chord progression which I wrote specifically for improvising a solo over, so Billy set to work on bass guitar sweep picked arpeggio chops, which looks pretty cool to watch mind you. The song is in Bb minor, which is a fairly tricky key signature to work with on a standard tuned guitar (the only drop tunings I use is drop D), so I was also learning my way around Bb Aeolian at the same time as practicing my string skipping and sweep picking.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>