Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFor the prog fan that is not a prog fan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 02:52
It sounds like you enjoy really expertly rendered inprovisation.A lot of the new prog bands do lack that.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 03:33
The obvious problem seems to be that at some point you will run out of new stuff. Which raises the question: Can that really be the point about music ... the illusion of "new"?
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 04:36
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

The Mars Volta
The Flower Kings
Mr. Bungle
Dream Theater
Liquid Tension Experiment
Phish (yes they are prog!)
Umphrey's McGee
Ozric Tentacles

Spock's Beard or Transatlantic so do not suggest them. I would have like Transatlantic had Neil Morse not been there.

Hm, suggestions from me might be a little irrelevant to you, because I don't like the modern bands you list except Mr. Bungle (maybe you have been checking out the wrong bands), to some extent. But I can relate  to your opening post, and we share a lot of jazzfavorites.

My favorites among the newer bands are:

Non Credo: (a must hear!) Try Happy Wretched Family or Impropera
Guapo: any of their three latest
Kayo Dot: Blue Lambrency Downward. Surely album of the year! (you've probably heard them already)
Secret Chiefs 3
Elephant9 (brilliant, brand new jazzrockfusion)

Maybe not to your taste at all, but I love them. And I think they all have a unique sound.

I think many of Dave Kerman related bands are great. U Totem, Motor Totemist Guild, 5Uu's... Tried anything from the Japanese scene? Its not all hysterical.

Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 09:11

Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Hey Darkshade, You know I share your enthusiasm for Hancock and Miles, we both keep showing up in the same threads ha ha.
I was raised on classic early 70s prog rock. It's great stuff but there's only so many times I can listen to the same records. I keep looking for newer prog rock that I like, but there is a lot of weak material to wade through. Some post 70s bands I like include Ozric Tentacles, Birds and Buildings, Jaga Jazzist, Shining, Maserati and Kensos.
There is also a lot of great progressive music in the modern world of electronic music, not exactly prog-rock but similar.

P.S. I don't care for new prog bands that sound like old prog bands, it's time to move on, most of the bands I listed draw on the past but still sound fresh and new.
i have some Ozric Tentacles, and I like them a lot. They have a jazz-rock feel to them sometimes, but i enjoy their overall sound very much (even the newer stuff which i know some people dont agree with)the others i have no idea about. any good suggestions, or descriptions of those other bands?

In the time it might take me to describe these bands you could already hear their music on myspace, their own website or on PA. Click on my profile and then my homepage and you will find Birds and Buildings and Maserati in my 'friends' section, also a band called Bogdanovitch, ha ha ha.
Stughalf View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 18:25
Since your are an avowed fan of jazz-rock, and admire Soft Machine and Gong, I must ask whether you have explored the music of other bands in the Canterbury Scene.  If not, I'd heartily recommend Caravan, Hatfield And The North, and National Health.
mr70s View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 20:00
I find contemporary prog so dissappointing, and always return to prog's best days or jazz rock fusion Wink
Maybe sometimes combining the two - Refugee (even if Jacksons singing ? makes me cringe), or Moraz's masterpiece Story of I (with Ray Gomez, Alphonse Mouzon and Jeff Berlin).
Is this the kind of music for the prog fan that is not a prog fan ?
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 20:48
Originally posted by Stughalf Stughalf wrote:

Since your are an avowed fan of jazz-rock, and admire Soft Machine and Gong, I must ask whether you have explored the music of other bands in the Canterbury Scene.  If not, I'd heartily recommend Caravan, Hatfield And The North, and National Health.

now that you mentioned it, I havent. I feel like i checked out Caravan a long time ago, but i dont remember. I'll give these bands a listen on the stream.

BTW, i checked out IF and they are awesome! I am getting their first 3 albums asap!
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 20:50
Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

The Mars Volta
The Flower Kings
Mr. Bungle
Dream Theater
Liquid Tension Experiment
Phish (yes they are prog!)
Umphrey's McGee
Ozric Tentacles

Spock's Beard or Transatlantic so do not suggest them. I would have like Transatlantic had Neil Morse not been there.

Hm, suggestions from me might be a little irrelevant to you, because I don't like the modern bands you list except Mr. Bungle (maybe you have been checking out the wrong bands), to some extent. But I can relate  to your opening post, and we share a lot of jazzfavorites.

My favorites among the newer bands are:

Non Credo: (a must hear!) Try Happy Wretched Family or Impropera
Guapo: any of their three latest
Kayo Dot: Blue Lambrency Downward. Surely album of the year! (you've probably heard them already)
Secret Chiefs 3
Elephant9 (brilliant, brand new jazzrockfusion)

Maybe not to your taste at all, but I love them. And I think they all have a unique sound.

I think many of Dave Kerman related bands are great. U Totem, Motor Totemist Guild, 5Uu's... Tried anything from the Japanese scene? Its not all hysterical.

my tastes are weird. Even by describing the music I listen to, I could still get into a band you wouldnt think I would. it's weird.

But i will check out these bands. thanks for the suggestions. Ive seen Kayo Dot mentioned a lot on this forum. Maybe I'll check them out first.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 20:53
Originally posted by tillerman tillerman wrote:

It sounds like you enjoy really expertly rendered improvisation.A lot of the new prog bands do lack that.

i mean it's true i enjoy bands that improvise. I dont necessarily look for that, at least when looking for new prog, since most of my favorite prog bands dont improvise anyway, at least on studio albums. it's hard to explain why I cant get into a lot of prog bands the way some member here do. But then, im sure there's people here who cant get into jazz related music as easily as I or others here can.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 16:53

In the time it might take me to describe these bands you could already hear their music on myspace, their own website or on PA. Click on my profile and then my homepage and you will find Birds and Buildings and Maserati in my 'friends' section, also a band called Bogdanovich, ha ha ha.

haha you do know that was my band right?
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 19:35

In the time it might take me to describe these bands you could already hear their music on myspace, their own website or on PA. Click on my profile and then my homepage and you will find Birds and Buildings and Maserati in my 'friends' section, also a band called Bogdanovich, ha ha ha.

Mos def, you and I were the only site members to submit fusion bands to the unsigned band thread.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 20:46

Mos def, you and I were the only site members to submit fusion bands to the unsigned band thread.

heh, i think you're right. everyone else's bands are either metal bands or wanna-be prog bands. Your band and mine are the only (from what I know) that are actually serious and could see being listened to by a lot of people on this site.

it sucks, though, cause we broke up. But i'll have a new band in no time.
tillerman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2008 at 05:17
Well remember the best improv sounds arranged.Most of Starless & Bible Black for example....
Draith View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2008 at 01:45
Yes, I love Thrust! Smile

I see exactly what you mean. I've been through a remarkably similar musical journey myself (in fact it's eerie, I love exactly all of the same bands, in all the genres), though mine happened more all at once in a few months than a kind of succession. The only difference is I don't have nearly enough money to pay for most of it. Cry

It gets to the point where the whole complexity and intellectualism of prog gets a bit tiresome and I feel like "progressing" my tastes to something different. For me, jazz fusion and jazz was the answer, Return to Forever, Mahavishnu, Herbie Hancock, Miles Davis, and especially John Coltrane, and anything similar. I've even expanded to the more progressive Death metal bands, something I would never have expected, and I even enjoy opera now as well.

The thing is I DO go out and hunt for great new progressive bands, some I find are amazing, many I simply can't stand at all. So I think I could probably call myself a prog fan. I guess my main point is prog rock shouldn't be the only thing you listen to, or at least not for me. Just because prog rock isn't all you listen to, doesn't mean you don't like it as a genre. One should have an open mind!

Great blog, it's one's such as this that make this site really worthwhile! Clap

Edited by Draith - August 29 2008 at 01:53
Scarlet View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2008 at 04:35
Quote The thing is I DO go out and hunt for great new progressive bands, some I find are amazing, many I simply can't stand at all.

At the moment I have 2 suggestions. Big Big Train and Hammers Of Misfortune. BBT has been around since 1989 and HOM came to birth in the late 90s. These bands are not really new, but they could be to anyone who hasn't heard them.

I will repost an exerpt from a review that Bill Gillham wrote:
(With 99% of my cds I always think something could be better. Sometimes a cd will have too much of this, or not enough of that, or the vocals are weak, or whatever. With Big Big Trains album The Difference Machine, I cant imagine how it could be better.)

While BBT is proggy and also have a hint of Jazz, Hammers Of Misfortune instead are more straightforward with elements of metal. I find myself keep playing Trot Out The Dead over and over again.
Ancient View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2008 at 08:07
Have you tried following Bill Bruford's carrer. His first solo albums are absolutely marvellous. So is his jazz band Earthworks. Saw them live last year and they are such talented musicians.
... and the flowering creativity of life wove it's www
MercyfulFatesWarning View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2008 at 11:10
I didn't see Van der Graaf Generator your list?  I know they're old, but I'd think they would be right up your alley..
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2008 at 14:19
How about the Roine Stolt interview and his comment re : the "retro-prog" tag that the Flower Kings has ?
I never thought of it, but if he's been playing prog since the mid 70s (Kaipa onwards), why would we say that he's just imitating those 70s icons ?
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2008 at 23:02
Originally posted by Ancient Ancient wrote:

Have you tried following Bill Bruford's carrer. His first solo albums are absolutely marvellous. So is his jazz band Earthworks. Saw them live last year and they are such talented musicians.

oh yea of course. i have Feels Good to Me, Gradually Going Tornado, and One Of A Kind

of his Earthworks albums i have A Part, And Yet Apart, Random Acts Of Happiness, The Sound Of Surprise, and Stamping Ground

all of these albums are excellent jazz-rock, jazz, and prog efforts. im especially keen to his 70s solo albums, but ive recently been enjoying his Earthworks stuff again

Originally posted by MercyfulFatesWarning MercyfulFatesWarning wrote:

I didn't see Van der Graaf Generator your list?  I know they're old, but I'd think they would be right up your alley..

ive given this band more than 3 tries, they just dont click with me. they're almost, dare i say, booooring. i actually fell asleep to one of their albums (and it was 3 in the afternoon and i wasnt tired prior) so yea, no. thanks for the suggestion though Smile

Edited by darkshade - September 17 2008 at 23:04
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2008 at 03:30

Originally posted by MercyfulFatesWarning MercyfulFatesWarning wrote:

ive given this band more than 3 tries, they just dont click with me. they're almost, dare i say, booooring. i actually fell asleep to one of their albums (and it was 3 in the afternoon and i wasnt tired prior) so yea, no. thanks for the suggestion though Smile

Either you haven't tried hard enough, or the wrong album. If not, just forget all about all my suggestions.
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>