Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDoes anyone like the Beatles Revolution #9?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2008 at 14:46
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

We don't have to agree on rules - but they are there, nonetheless.

As Budgie said: "If I were Britannia I'd waive the rules..."

But you're not Britannia, and the rules kind of enforce themselves, if you think about it.

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Moonchild gets beat up on a lot by reviewers, unfairly so.  Cry

Indeed - I gave quite a detailled analysis in my review - but if people only want instant gratification, what can ya do?
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2008 at 17:59

Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

If you listen to it often enough, a manic kind of logic shows through - but I rather think that's accidental, hence it's not Prog, because it's not composed

Is that some kind of rule we all have to agree on (I'm not thinking about Revolution #9)? 

We don't have to agree on rules - but they are there, nonetheless.

As everybody knows, Prog does not have a clearly defined set of rules

Fine. It sounded like you meant it did.

I get the differences. But I do think, within a rock context, Revolution #9 has a progressive attitude. 
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2008 at 19:17

Yep - I love Rev#9 - at the time I disliked quite a lot of the other tracks (Ob-La-Di-hell, most of Side 2, Mother Nature's Son, Good Night) - but #9 was one of my favourite tracks.

I remember sitting listening to it with my friends arguing about the infamous 'Paul is dead' rumour/conspiracy about it.
What?
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2008 at 19:54
I enjoy listening to it once every 10 years or so.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2008 at 21:57
Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

I enjoy listening to it once every 10 years or so.

Shouldn't you be listenenening to it once every nine years?
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2008 at 22:27
I always liked the track and don't see any reason to skip it at all. I always listen very closely to it, trying to figure out what is happening. Anyway, the skip would only carry me to "Good Night".

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2008 at 01:51
Certif1ed quoted:

The famous section of MoonChild on the other hand is a fantastic work of near avant-garde wierdness - it's a common mistake to write it off as meandering. It isn't - it has a definite purpose and internal logic. 

It's not quite avant-garde, because it contains a beautiful central logic that is essential to the expression of the song - it's not at all random, and patience is rewarded by music of unearthly beauty. It most definitely is not a waste of time, and it is great music.

Prog is not about being instantly satisfied, it's about lasting art."

unquote

I agree on some of those terms. I didnt really consider Revolution#9 music - it is more a sound collage of Yoko's artistry. She was into modern art as we know and wanted it on the album. I heard that Paul hated it and wanted it off, but when ever any one attacks is he says "Its the bloddy white album... sod off."

i guess you cant attack this type of genius without getting flamed. However I still do not like the track at all.

Moonchild by King Crimson is a difficult piece to absorb. I love the rest of the album, but Moonchild as I said in my review (which was attacked for this very reason) is still one to ponder on and is not popular by many prog fans here I noticed.

'Moonchild' is the longest track and annoyingly tends to just go on and on, almost as a complete improvisation in the studio recorded without forethought at times. I know this is one of the most annoying things about this band that I love, but it is also the reason that they are outstanding; they do improvise in concert substantially, and it has garnered their reputation for jazz fusion. So it's a catch 22 – if you are into a band as experimental as King Crimson there are going to be moments in their repertoire that will infuriate you. Michael Giles drum patterns are interesting enough but unfortunately, as far as I am concerned, 'Moonchild' is just about the worst they have recorded. It should have been cut by about 6 minutes and there is too little going on for my tastes to even make this memorable. It is more or less a jazz improvisation and doesn't really go anywhere. Maybe this is why some fans adore it.

I absolutely cherish King Crimson but cannot get past Moonchild for some reason. But if you care about the birth of progressive rock, if you like your prog jazzed up with a fusion of heavy mellotron, if you love saxophone interlaced with jagged guitar rhythms, look no further. "In the Court of the Crimson King" is an  album that encompasses all that makes prog rock so enticing, and in a sense it captures all that made King Crimson one of the leading progressive masters, brilliant but flawed geniuses. 

Now... flame on!

er.. how do we get onto this - I thought we were discussing Revolution#9 numberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumberninenumbernine

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - October 22 2008 at 01:54
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2008 at 08:32
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Yep - I love Rev#9 - at the time I disliked quite a lot of the other tracks (Ob-La-Di-hell, most of Side 2, Mother Nature's Son, Good Night) - but #9 was one of my favourite tracks.

I remember sitting listening to it with my friends arguing about the infamous 'Paul is dead' rumour/conspiracy about it.
Dean, you'll be pleased to hear that Paul is not dead. At least he wasn't the last time I saw him.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2008 at 12:29
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Dean, you'll be pleased to hear that Paul is not dead. At least he wasn't the last time I saw him.

After dealing with Heather Mills, maybe he wishes those 60s rumors were actually true.  Wink
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2008 at 13:05
It got me to listen to some Stockhausen - Hymnen. I still don't see why random noises, no matter their origin or manner of generation are "interesting". And as far as Number 9, is that under B or I in Bingo ? 
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2008 at 13:46
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

It got me to listen to some Stockhausen - Hymnen. I still don't see why random noises, no matter their origin or manner of generation are "interesting".

ClapClap

Remember, noise and dissonances are "avant-garde".. we tonalists and lovers of melody are musical-neanderthals...Tongue
Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2008 at 15:13
One of, if not THE weirdest "song" i've ever heard! Wacko
Some parts of it are quite listenable. But overall.... Wacko
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2008 at 19:55
There is an actual website that has translated every sound and noise and spoken word from Revolution#9 - some people have way too much time on their hands...

debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2008 at 20:03
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

It got me to listen to some Stockhausen - Hymnen. I still don't see why random noises, no matter their origin or manner of generation are "interesting".

ClapClap

Remember, noise and dissonances are "avant-garde".. we tonalists and lovers of melody are musical-neanderthals...Tongue

Last night, I switched my radio to the AM dial and composed a symphony. Today the dial don't work no more. So I titled the "oeuvre" dialdied.
Oh, and hooray for CD remote controls, eh.
And 9 is under I in Bingo, isn't it.
If you're tone-deaf, would you be able to determine if something is atonal ? If I have six pack Abs and am well toned, am I physically able to judge good music from bad ? If I have atoned for my sins in listening to AC/DC, can I offer an opinion on other music ?
Wasn't Atonio the name of Osannah fifth guitarist ?
Is there such a music as "En Garde" ?
Oh Canada, we play Avant-Garde for thee
True patriot love abound for Rush the Band .
Ton histoire est une epopee, ecrit par Harmonium.
And brilliante was the guitar that Serge strum
And glorious stuff wrote he.
God bless our land
Zeuhless with trees.
Oh Canada we play avant-garde for thee,
oh Canada we also play hockey ...

(apologies for the missing words and two front teefs)
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2008 at 20:14

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

ClapClap

Last night, I switched my radio to the AM dial and composed a symphony. Today the dial don't work no more. So I titled the "oeuvre" dialdied.
Oh, and hooray for CD remote controls, eh.
And 9 is under I in Bingo, isn't it.
If you're tone-deaf, would you be able to determine if something is atonal ? If I have six pack Abs and am well toned, am I physically able to judge good music from bad ? If I have atoned for my sins in listening to AC/DC, can I offer an opinion on other music ?
Oh Canada, we play Avant-Garde for thee
True patriot love abound for Rush the Band .
Ton histoire est une epopee, ecrit par Harmonium.
And brilliante was the guitar that Serge strum
And glorious stuff wrote he.
God bless our land
Zeuhless with trees.
Oh Canada we play avant-garde for thee,
oh Canada we also play hockey ...

(apologies for the missing words and two front teefs)

That was very intriguing! Where does that come from? Or was it made up in the spot.... Love this bit "AC/DC, can I offer an opinion on other music ?

Classic stuff
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2008 at 02:53
If I listen to the album again, I think I very much want to use the skip button.

I do like the Beatles for most of their experiments, but not for all of their experiments. It was nice that they broke a lot of musical rules, but the fact is that I don't like this track at all.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2008 at 15:48
Have you tried listening to it backwards while hanging upside down? Tongue

Edited by Slartibartfast - October 23 2008 at 15:48
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2008 at 18:09
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Have you tried listening to it backwards while hanging upside down? Tongue

LOLLOLLOLLOL

Actually there are apparently backwards messages on the track.

when you spin the vinyl album backwards with your finger, the message comes out as clear as a bell 
"Congratulations.. you have just ruined your turntable and stylus!" Star

Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2008 at 18:21

I listen to it (very) occasionally. An interesting experiment which the rest of the Fabs hated.

Paul didn't so much hate it as feel a bit miffed that he wasn't involved in it - he'd been investigating avant garde music and tape loops before John Lennon got into it, although it was never a particularly obvious influence on his music.

Anyway, I have always loved the White Album to bits and I'm no more likely to skip Revolution #9 than any other track.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2008 at 18:34

Oh, I have thought about the other rumour. The one that a very similar guy to Paul replaced him, but the real Paul Mccartney died in one of the first albums, and that the album covers had like kind-of subliminal messages telling that Paul was really dead, anyways it must have been coincidence.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>