Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe anti-fanboys

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2009 at 15:48
When it's liking it to the irrational exclusion of everything else then it is. Approve
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2009 at 16:35
Originally posted by kingfriso kingfriso wrote:

Sometimes when I'm busy reading reviews of album-pages or specific users my attention gets drawn to one and two star series. Some people hate everything Peter Hammelish and they are willing to listen to the whole VdGG discography and rate in one or two stars because of the 'awful vocals'.

Some people just don't like some bands, but is it justified to rate a record low because it isn't your style or your kind of music or you don't know what to do with it?

Opinions?

hahha.. since when has justification ever been more than a passing thought to anyone awarding 1 star to DT.. or 5 stars to PT.  That is why ratings are a joke.. always have been.. always will be.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2009 at 16:51
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Sometimes when I'm busy reading reviews of album-pages or specific users my attention gets drawn to one and two star series. Some people hate everything Peter Hammelish and they are willing to listen to the whole VdGG discography and rate in one or two stars because of the 'awful vocals'.

Some people just don't like some bands, but is it justified to rate a record low because it isn't your style or your kind of music or you don't know what to do with it?

Opinions?

hahha.. since when has justification ever been more than a passing thought to anyone awarding 1 star to DT.. or 5 stars to PT.  That is why ratings are a joke.. always have been.. always will be.

Micky, hate to say this and toot my own horn, but erm, nope. That is a very long passing thought...
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2009 at 21:14
the only true criteria for being allowed to post a review is that you have listened to the album. If you think someone would intentionally inflict music that they hate on themselves, then sit back & enjoy the glorious pain that they've put up with ... 
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2009 at 21:31
Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

It could also be that they used to like the album but now have changed mind, or borrowed it from a friend/heard it at the friend's house, grew up with their parents listening to it et cetera. You know, there's other reasons for disliking a classic album than having an axe to grind or just being a big blue meanie who thinks everything sucks. Okay, that's sometimes the case I'll admit that much, but hey, this is rock'n'roll, man... it's supposed to be all about not holding anything sacred and thinking outside the box, emphasis on the last thing when we're dealing with the progressive kind. I think this essay by music reviewer Jim Derogatis says it better than I can. Cool

"He’s in his early twenties, and his life is already over. In fact, it never even began, at least not in terms of experiencing great art made in the moment—his moment, instead of his parents"

That's so true ... Clap

Nope. "His moment" is replete with utter smut. He did himself a favour by foregoing the garbage and going for the real deal.
akin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2009 at 00:03
The main thing about all this is that, no matter how we try to deal with that, music is art and art should be judged by taste. Critics are always criticized because they try to judge art by other values, and the common man is only concerned with his level of enjoyment.

For a common man, it doesn´t matter which techniques Picasso, Van Gogh or his neighboor used when painting. For a common man, it doesn´t matter if the song is a simple 4/4 intro/verse/chorus/verse/chorus affair or if it is a symphony with 3 distinct movements using different time signatures, key changes, unusual chord progressions, Dorian or Phrygian modes, etc. For a common man, it doesn´t matter if the film maker used revolutionary photography and edition methods or if the movie is an ordinary romantic comedy, with the same actors and the same base arguments.

When we review, we must be true to our tastes and reasonable, only that. If a person hates a band, he has the right to review everything with one star and he has the right to complain about the vocals, for example, in every album. When you are reading a review, you have the understanding that the reviewer dislikes the vocals and that is all. I think it is better to say that you hate high speed guitar solos than to say that the production is amateurish or the drummer is not very skilled, because the last explain less about the reviewer´s taste than the first. Which excerpt is more clear to describe a death metal band to a person interested:

"I dislike this album because I hate growling, ultradistorted guitars that sound like a drone and fast and repetitive drumming. It is not suited for my taste and only good to people who likes this kind of music."

or

"The vocals are not much varied, the musicianship is technical, but it doesn´t have a lot of feeling. Most of the chord progressions are not elaborated (I-IV-V or alikes). All the songs use common time signatures, so I don´t think it is very progressive and I don´t recommend this album to a prog fan."

I really prefer the first, because I know exactly which what kind of sound I will be dealing with.
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2009 at 01:08
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I have reviewed 188 albums for this site, and I have given 1 star to two albums only - both by Deep Purple, one of my favourite bands ever. One of the reasons I did so was to prove I could steer clear of any suspicion of fanboyism. I would give the same rating to any album by a favourite band or artist of mine which I found poor or disappointing.

That said, in the three months I have been reviewing for another site I have learned a lot about being as objective as possible when rating an album. First of all, though we rate albums on that site as well, the main focus is the actual review, which is always rather detailed, and somewhat longer than what most people would post here. Then since we review albums the bands or artists send to us, we are exposed to a very varied range of stuff, some of which we would never buy on our own accord - so far it is from our personal tastes. However, this is where objectivity comes into play - we listen to an album with an open mind, and try to look for its strong points, not just for its weaknesses. I have given relatively high ratings to CDs that are not precisely my cup of tea, just because I have learned to recognise those strengths.

Very true ... it depends a lot on the review and on how you put it. I don't mind someone giving low ratings to albums I love, what annoys me is when people start to disrespect the musicians involved.

Example for a - IMHO - bad, condescending review:

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=61487

Example for a - IMHO - good review with which I don't agree, but which I can respect:

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=132342

Smile

friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2009 at 01:40
Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I have reviewed 188 albums for this site, and I have given 1 star to two albums only - both by Deep Purple, one of my favourite bands ever. One of the reasons I did so was to prove I could steer clear of any suspicion of fanboyism. I would give the same rating to any album by a favourite band or artist of mine which I found poor or disappointing.That said, in the three months I have been reviewing for another site I have learned a lot about being as objective as possible when rating an album. First of all, though we rate albums on that site as well, the main focus is the actual review, which is always rather detailed, and somewhat longer than what most people would post here. Then since we review albums the bands or artists send to us, we are exposed to a very varied range of stuff, some of which we would never buy on our own accord - so far it is from our personal tastes. However, this is where objectivity comes into play - we listen to an album with an open mind, and try to look for its strong points, not just for its weaknesses. I have given relatively high ratings to CDs that are not precisely my cup of tea, just because I have learned to recognise those strengths.
Very true ... it depends a lot on the review and on how you put it. I don't mind someone giving low ratings to albums I love, what annoys me is when people start to disrespect the musicians involved.Example for a - IMHO - bad, condescending review:http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=61487Example for a - IMHO - good review with which I don't agree, but which I can respect:http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=132342Smile

Yes I recognisize this! Not only bashing the music but even the people who might listen to it whaha! You must truly dislike it to do such a strange, puzzling think .
fusionfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2009 at 04:03
"I'm for what is against and against what is for"(Pierre Dac)
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2009 at 06:25
Originally posted by akin akin wrote:

The main thing about all this is that, no matter how we try to deal with that, music is art and art should be judged by taste. Critics are always criticized because they try to judge art by other values, and the common man is only concerned with his level of enjoyment.

For a common man, it doesn´t matter which techniques Picasso, Van Gogh or his neighboor used when painting. For a common man, it doesn´t matter if the song is a simple 4/4 intro/verse/chorus/verse/chorus affair or if it is a symphony with 3 distinct movements using different time signatures, key changes, unusual chord progressions, Dorian or Phrygian modes, etc. For a common man, it doesn´t matter if the film maker used revolutionary photography and edition methods or if the movie is an ordinary romantic comedy, with the same actors and the same base arguments.

When we review, we must be true to our tastes and reasonable, only that. If a person hates a band, he has the right to review everything with one star and he has the right to complain about the vocals, for example, in every album. When you are reading a review, you have the understanding that the reviewer dislikes the vocals and that is all. I think it is better to say that you hate high speed guitar solos than to say that the production is amateurish or the drummer is not very skilled, because the last explain less about the reviewer´s taste than the first. Which excerpt is more clear to describe a death metal band to a person interested:

"I dislike this album because I hate growling, ultradistorted guitars that sound like a drone and fast and repetitive drumming. It is not suited for my taste and only good to people who likes this kind of music."

or

"The vocals are not much varied, the musicianship is technical, but it doesn´t have a lot of feeling. Most of the chord progressions are not elaborated (I-IV-V or alikes). All the songs use common time signatures, so I don´t think it is very progressive and I don´t recommend this album to a prog fan."

I really prefer the first, because I know exactly which what kind of sound I will be dealing with.

Going by paragraph: 'music is art and art should be judged by taste. Critics are always criticized because they try to judge art by other values, and the common man is only concerned with his level of enjoyment.'...

1. Art should be critiqued by whether it achieves what you think it means to achieve, what you think it should achieve and its context. If you can't justify or explain your opinions beyond 'I like/don't like this', I don't think that the resulting reviews would be any use to anyone who didn't share your tastes to the letter.

@Paragraph 2. The common man might not consciously look for those techniques, but nonetheless the way in which something is painted, filmed or written affects the emotive quality of the end product vastly... this is why people actually practice at arts rather than just picking up a pen and paper once and submitting the result to galleries. The difference between the 'common man' and the critic, in my opinion, is only that the critic articulates their views a bit better and possibly has the technical know-how to do so, not that the 'common man' doesn't care about techniques.

@Paragraph 3... I'd disagree, I think we need to explain our tastes... truly why we dislike an album. To be honest, it tells me nothing if someone doesn't like James Labrie's voice or thinks it's 'bad' unless they can tell me what they don't like about it. The only times I really take issue with reviews is when it's clear a reviewer plainly doesn't like an album and they fail to move beyond very general and abstract reasons for not liking something...

Now, at the two examples,
1. only tells me about the perceived sound (honestly, I feel with death metal, people tend to see one element and assume all the others are automatically there as well... the same with AOR and so forth) and whether the reviewer likes that sound in general... if I actually like that sort of sound, it tells me nothing about whether or not I should get that album... it tells me nothing about the content of that album... 2. is at least tailored to the album in question.
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2009 at 06:26

If someone dislikes the output of an artist then the reviews should reflect that, as long as the arguments against are substantial, even if it does mean that all VdGG reviews get a low star rating. In the end it's all a matter of taste.

In fact, I find these reviews very important, because if reviewers only rated those albums that they rated highly, we would be stuck with a site on which all albums had four or five star ratings, and that would not be a fair or accurate representation.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2009 at 06:31
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

It could also be that they used to like the album but now have changed mind, or borrowed it from a friend/heard it at the friend's house, grew up with their parents listening to it et cetera. You know, there's other reasons for disliking a classic album than having an axe to grind or just being a big blue meanie who thinks everything sucks. Okay, that's sometimes the case I'll admit that much, but hey, this is rock'n'roll, man... it's supposed to be all about not holding anything sacred and thinking outside the box, emphasis on the last thing when we're dealing with the progressive kind. I think this essay by music reviewer Jim Derogatis says it better than I can. Cool

Hit the link - move to the bottom - hit back !!

Read the super negative review of Sct Peppers Lonely Hart......
Freakin funny

Here is a little bit :
"Now it's McCartney's turn for a more-or-less solo bow. Mr. Optimism declares that he's perfectly content with his life -- he must have been the only person in the '60s who was -- and while he used to be mad at his school (wotta rebel!), it's "Getting Better" all the time because, oh, boy, he's in l-u-v. Hold on, though, there's something creepy going on just below the placid facade of romantic middle-class contentment.

Lennon's backing vocals are singing, "It can't get no worse," and now McCartney is telling us he used to be mean to his woman, he beat her and kept her apart from the things that she loved. This guy's a freaking misogynist, and I don't buy for a minute that he's "changing his scene." Like Travis Bickle, he's just waiting for an excuse to explode. That insistent piano is like a nervous facial tick, the waltz-like tempo is barely keeping him restrained, and it's time to run and lock the door when the tune dissolves into a psychedelic breakdown with droning sitar and echoed tabla. Hey, the Hell's Angels took LSD, but they didn't automatically start loving everyone. Remember Altamont?

Scary stuff, and perhaps I'd best stop free-associating. What a coincidence: Paul suggests the same thing on the very next tune. "I'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in / And stops my mind from wandering / Where it will go." Wait a minute: I thought free-ranging intellectual exploration was the psychedelic ideal? Why is Macca trying to plug the leak and shut it down? The tune -- another lame, mid-tempo ballad with heavy overtones of vaudeville and the music hall -- gives us the answer: "It really doesn't matter / If I'm wrong I'm right / Where I belong I'm right." "

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2009 at 06:40
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

If someone dislikes the output of an artist then the reviews should reflect that, as long as the arguments against are substantial, even if it does mean that all VdGG reviews get a low star rating. In the end it's all a matter of taste.

In fact, I find these reviews very important, because if reviewers only rated those albums that they rated highly, we would be stuck with a site on which all albums had four or five star ratings, and that would not be a fair or accurate representation.

Nope, we'd be Amazon Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2009 at 12:42

Well, if it's all a matter of taste - which is also my opinion - then you don't need to substantiate anything in a review ... sometimes we just intuitively like or dislike something. I won't mind a 1 star review of an album which I would give 5 stars to which just says "I hate this album - I can't explain why". It's honest, and the reader can decide what to make of it. Of course more details are helpful ... for example, the reviewer could elaborate what he/she hates the most about the album. Then the reader has some points of reference to decide whether the review can be helpful.

We can't deduce though from the fact that an album has only high ratings that it has only been rated by fans ... or from an even distribution of low and high ratings that the album has been rated by fans and "haters". That's what makes the problem so difficult ... and ultimately impossible to solve.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2009 at 12:50

Isn't that the ultimate goal of a review?

If you bought an album and you hate it, would be dishonest to rate it as a masterpiece.

This is not a fan club of a determined band, if you like an album and consider it great, rate it high, if you have an album, you hate it and have valid arguments...Say your truth, that's what Prog Archives expects of you IMO.

At the end, the real rating is in the review, if there are good arguments and and coherent reasons to rate an album low...Go on.

That's why I only worry about ratings with reviews that tell me why the person gave that rating and ignore ratings without reviews.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - September 10 2009 at 13:02

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2009 at 13:48
^ I think that the ultimate goal (or purpose) of a review or rating is to help others who don't know the album decide whether they should check it out or not. The most important factor to achieve that goal is - in my humble opinion:

Honesty

As long as a review is - or at least appears to be - honest, I don't have any problem with it at all.Smile
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2009 at 14:10
Disclaimer: I don't write music reviews, and those I have done have not been well-written,  If one is not familiar with the musical idiom/ musical modalities, then it's unlikely that one will write a good review (an intelligent and knowledgeable one).  I look to reviews for information and insight that goes beyond preference, and commonly am not particularly interested in whether someone likes something or not (if that's all I want to get, I just look to the rating and ignore the review).  With some I look to the humour in the reviews.

I also appreciate honesty.  If someone is unfamiliar with the kind of music, or it's not a preferred style, then I like it if they right out and say it.  I'd rather read a review by someone who I feel really understands the music and is familiar with that musical scene.  The best reviews are illuminating and educational; have great insight and show a musically well-informed individual.

Edited by Logan - September 10 2009 at 14:12
My 1960 to 2024 youtube playlist, one track per act and one track per year.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4Jq6bFhyET
akin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2009 at 21:22
Originally posted by TGM: Orb TGM: Orb wrote:

Originally posted by akin akin wrote:

or

Going by paragraph: 'music is art and art should be judged by taste. Critics are always criticized because they try to judge art by other values, and the common man is only concerned with his level of enjoyment.'...

1. Art should be critiqued by whether it achieves what you think it means to achieve, what you think it should achieve and its context. If you can't justify or explain your opinions beyond 'I like/don't like this', I don't think that the resulting reviews would be any use to anyone who didn't share your tastes to the letter.

@Paragraph 2. The common man might not consciously look for those techniques, but nonetheless the way in which something is painted, filmed or written affects the emotive quality of the end product vastly... this is why people actually practice at arts rather than just picking up a pen and paper once and submitting the result to galleries. The difference between the 'common man' and the critic, in my opinion, is only that the critic articulates their views a bit better and possibly has the technical know-how to do so, not that the 'common man' doesn't care about techniques.

@Paragraph 3... I'd disagree, I think we need to explain our tastes... truly why we dislike an album. To be honest, it tells me nothing if someone doesn't like James Labrie's voice or thinks it's 'bad' unless they can tell me what they don't like about it. The only times I really take issue with reviews is when it's clear a reviewer plainly doesn't like an album and they fail to move beyond very general and abstract reasons for not liking something...

Now, at the two examples,
1. only tells me about the perceived sound (honestly, I feel with death metal, people tend to see one element and assume all the others are automatically there as well... the same with AOR and so forth) and whether the reviewer likes that sound in general... if I actually like that sort of sound, it tells me nothing about whether or not I should get that album... it tells me nothing about the content of that album... 2. is at least tailored to the album in question.

I don´t agree with your observations, but that´s ok.
mcxwell View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2009 at 22:21
For me, review should be OBJECTIVE,,

while taste is the number 1 considerstion that will decide whether you will like or dislike some music
There is no Best, just DIfferent..
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 02:53
Basicly the important thing is that the reviewer make it clear, when are we talking about the music on an objective level, comparing it with similar albums ect ect
And when are we talking about the Reviewers taste in the kind of music you find on the album.

If a review slams the artist in general, its fine. Its then clear that he just dont like the band.
Its a lot worse if he slams the album, without making it clear that he hates the band, or maby even the genre in general.
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>