Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPorcupine Tree for Eclectic?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2009 at 08:08
Another thing to consider is that many prog websites adapted to at least multiple genres per artist years ago ... maybe PT are simply both Space Rock, Eclectic and Heavy, and the database is simply too limited to express that.

Incidentally: Progfreak may be the most genre-centric prog website of all, but there are also no genre discussions there ... even among those who contribute regularly :-)
LiquidEternity View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2009 at 08:16
I really don't find PT that eclectic at all. Just as eclectic as any prog band that's been around that long ends up sounding like. But I wouldn't be uncomfortable, in light of their last few albums, to find them in Experimental/Post Metal.
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2009 at 08:20
They should never have left their original allocation - the change to heavy prog made as much sense as moving Genesis to Prog-Related.
Bigger on the inside.
Conor Fynes View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2009 at 21:36
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

They should never have left their original allocation - the change to heavy prog made as much sense as moving Genesis to Prog-Related.

What WAS their original allocation??
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2009 at 22:23
^ they were in Psych, which doesn't suit them any better than Heavy, actually I lean toward LiquidEternity's suggestion of Exp/Post Metal.. to be honest I don't really care what category they're in and would be fine with them in Eclectic, if EcTeam wants 'em we'll talk, till then they're fine where they are

Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2009 at 23:37
LOL @ this thread.
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 00:42
Originally posted by King By-Tor King By-Tor wrote:

LOL @ this thread.

I believe this is correct.
Unfortunately I forgot to predict that Mikebytor would come in this thread and lol at it.

Edited by Petrovsk Mizinski - September 24 2009 at 00:42
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 05:28
It would be more funny if people all over the Internet weren't laughing at us.... A few years ago I got into a fight with the people on an Italian prog website exactly for the same reason. And things have not changed a bit, on the contrary. But hey, if you think that fighting over subgenres is more important than talking about bands or artists that rely on us for exposure, who am I to say anything?
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 06:00
^ why all that sarcasm and criticism? Would this become a better place if people were forbidden from discussion genres?

This thread was started by a member who joined this website about 6 months ago ... he didn't participate in all the genre discussions of the last couple of years. Still he found it important to discuss why PT are in Heavy Prog.

The fact that you are, in a way, "burnt out" on those topics doesn't change their relevance. If new members ask those questions, IMO they should be taken seriously. And I still maintain what I said above: Other websites reacted by making their database structure less rigid - if people are laughing about PA it might be for a number of reasons. The antiquated database structure is just as likely a reason as are the genre discussions resulting from that structure.

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 06:34
Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

^ why all that sarcasm and criticism? Would this become a better place if people were forbidden from discussion genres?

This thread was started by a member who joined this website about 6 months ago ... he didn't participate in all the genre discussions of the last couple of years. Still he found it important to discuss why PT are in Heavy Prog.

The fact that you are, in a way, "burnt out" on those topics doesn't change their relevance. If new members ask those questions, IMO they should be taken seriously. And I still maintain what I said above: Other websites reacted by making their database structure less rigid - if people are laughing about PA it might be for a number of reasons. The antiquated database structure is just as likely a reason as are the genre discussions resulting from that structure.

Mike, you can believe what you want, but the people were not laughing at the database structure. The fact that you like categorizing music does not mean everyone else agrees with you. I have always supported the division in genres, but when I see that it takes precedence over more important things, then I get a bit shirty. Anyway, I don't see any point in pursuing the discussion, or repeating things I have already said. I just wish that, for once, you had some faith in my ability to read and understand what people say on other forums.

Edit: quote from a post taken from the thread "It Ain't Prog If It Ain't Got...":

Originally posted by Madprophet Madprophet wrote:

I blame in part the Progressive Rock Archives website - a great resource, but a silly categorizing of bands into sub-sub-sub categories. Perhaps it is human to want to categorize, but here it does music that yearns to be free to have it's own identity a disservice, and overated and obnoxious metal bands like Mastodon do early Progressive Rock a disservice by attempting to pass itself off as part of the evolving "progress" of music or even it's end product.

This was Madprophet's first post, and, while I don't agree at all with his comments on Metal bands, I would like to point out that he is someone who believes we are going a bit too far with the categorization.

Edited by Raff - September 24 2009 at 06:43
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 06:45
Who is laughing at us? Where? Why?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 07:04
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Mike, you can believe what you want, but the people were not laughing at the database structure. The fact that you like categorizing music does not mean everyone else agrees with you. I have always supported the division in genres, but when I see that it takes precedence over more important things, then I get a bit shirty. Anyway, I don't see any point in pursuing the discussion, or repeating things I have already said. I just wish that, for once, you had some faith in my ability to read and understand what people say on other forums.

Edit: quote from a post taken from the thread "It Ain't Prog If It Ain't Got...":

Originally posted by Madprophet Madprophet wrote:

I blame in part the Progressive Rock Archives website - a great resource, but a silly categorizing of bands into sub-sub-sub categories. Perhaps it is human to want to categorize, but here it does music that yearns to be free to have it's own identity a disservice, and overated and obnoxious metal bands like Mastodon do early Progressive Rock a disservice by attempting to pass itself off as part of the evolving "progress" of music or even it's end product.

This was Madprophet's first post, and, while I don't agree at all with his comments on Metal bands, I would like to point out that he is someone who believes we are going a bit too far with the categorization.

Why do you take such posts seriously at all? Most people have many complaints, but very little constructive input to offer ... I see no point in trying to please everyone.

BTW: Of course I trust you to be able to read and understand posts properly. But please consider this: Many of the genre discussions at PA arise from the problem that an artist can only be in one genre, due to the limitations of the database. Porcupine Tree fit in Psych/Space, Eclectic and Heavy. If it was possible to assign those three genres to PT I'm pretty sure that we would not be having this discussion right now. So even though people might not complain about the database structure directly, many of the complaints concerning genre discussions are indirectly caused by it.
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 07:43
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Who is laughing at us? Where? Why?

http://www.progressiveears.com/default.asp?bhjs=0

If the thread still exists, it was something like "Progarchives vs Progressive Ears".
Even I thought it was a good laugh, because not everything said by PE regulars were a misrepresentation of PA..
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 08:14
I seriously don't understand the need to turn this into a discussion about categorizations. The one thing that looks already exaggerated is perhaps that everytime PT release something new, a "PT for Eclectic" thread is born. But the OP's post was fairly honest, he didn't say "The Incident now puts PT in a whole different light, we must now put them in Eclectic", he pointed towards the band's walkthrough, a view from which the suggestion makes sense.

If one wishes to criticize the act of suggesting/discussing changes instead of the suggestion/call for a discussion itself, or read about others criticizing it (here or on other sites), that's fine to do, but I hardly see the result of it. Furthermore, there's a line between refining or correcting, and trying to squeeze everything into perfect fits. We all know the genres aren't perfect & not every band in them fits or is even certified as a "best possible/plausible fit". I barely see where the rush for a "perfect fit" philosophy was even suggested.

To add, many suggestions of moving a band were made so far, by all sorts of people, of all ranks, without even a third of them getting these "oh, such silly categorizations" reactions, but rather being dealt with in orderly fashion. Does it count that, this time, it's about the assumably more controversial Porcupine Tree? Therefore, since it only happens with the big cases (like Jethro, Zappa, now PT), I think the generalized criticism and express of discontent towards "suggestions/discussions related to genre placement" reveal its flaws.

Now, putting my team member hat on, I must honestly say that I have a duty to take this suggestion into consideration and offer a reply. And so do my colleagues.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 09:13
Every PT studio album, except maybe for Sky Moves Sideways, Voyage 34 and Metanoia (if you even count that one as a studio album), is inherently eclectic. From song to song there are varying levels of Space/Psych, Heavy/Metal, Alternative/Rock and even Jazz/Fusion (Idiot Prayer, Tinto Brass ...).

EDIT: In my opinon, of course ... which has no binding effect on anyone. Smile

Edited by Mr ProgFreak - September 24 2009 at 09:16
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 10:21
Yes.. we got it... You laugh at ridiculous threads. You're independent and intelligent. You're hip, modern. You're young.  

And you post here because....?

You still need attention after all.... Even you.

Anyway, I would favor a move of the band to Eclectic. Their music has influences and elements of many different subgenres, and as it just takes a click on a stupid mouse to do it, I guess as unnecessary as this discussion may be, it can be discussed, and eventually addressed.

I would say refer this to the team in charge.

Or discuss it in the other zone, where it can retain at least 10% of its civility.

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 11:18
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Yes.. we got it... You laugh at ridiculous threads. You're independent and intelligent. You're hip, modern. You're young.  

And you post here because....?

You still need attention after all.... Even you.

Anyway, I would favor a move of the band to Eclectic. Their music has influences and elements of many different subgenres, and as it just takes a click on a stupid mouse to do it, I guess as unnecessary as this discussion may be, it can be discussed, and eventually addressed.

I would say refer this to the team in charge.

Or discuss it in the other zone, where it can retain at least 10% of its civility.

You're referring to me as wellWinkLOL?

BTW, the thread on ProgEars was deleted, since they didn't want a proliferation of 'vs' threads.  As to the team in charge, I believe I was part of the HP thread when they were moved, so perhaps I've earned the right to have my say - but not because I am young (far from that) or hip (anything but), rather because I am seriously concerned about the site. Is that OK now?
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 11:24
^Certainly not at you Raff... It was not addressed at you. But for people who come here and only bash the thread, without adding at least one dime of an idea about the topic... How much time they have that they waste it so blatantly...
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 11:49
Well, I bashed the topic too, though I like to believe I did so with a reason. Anyway, if I can add something on topic at last, I'd like to say I am surprised that the suggestion of moving PT to Eclectic has come only now. Like equally hard to classify bands such as KC or VDGG, they would have fit Eclectic to a T (sorry for the punEmbarrassed) right from day one. However, precisely on account of their nature, no placement will ever please everybody, so I'm sure that, once they get moved to Eclectic, someone will start a thread asking for them to be moved back to Heavy, or Psych, or whatever. This is what prompted me to say, stop with this game of ping-pong. Unless we are talking about bands whose placement no one will ever dispute (like the Canterbury or Krautrock acts), this is bound to happen almost every time a high-profile act is in question.

Obviously, as Mike pointed out, having multi-genre tagging (as they have as ProgEars) would solve the problem, at least in part - though I am not sure some other kind of issue would come up after that.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 12:01
I would have thought Crossover for PT, but it doesn't really matter to me.
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>