Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg = Literature

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 09:11
Daslaf and Terryl, you are absolutely right. I always knew i had a good musical education, but i guess i didn't realise how many people don't. You do need to know how to read to read books, but you never learn how to listen.
Godspeed, You Bolero Enthusiasts
'Prog is all about leaving home...' - Moshkito
daslaf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 09:29
I'm glad I made my point =)
But now my branches suffer
And my leaves don't bear the glow
They did so long ago
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 11:55
Hey MaxerJ, btw welcome on the forum!

I think your connection betweet the progressive reportoire and litature is great! I don't understand all the problems people find in this statement. Both are recognisable, yet they aren't easy to difine. You really should have gotten more respect for this observation!
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 17:29
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

I'm afraid your argument is too wooly to convince the hardcore subjectivists (how do you define great literature?), even if I can't bring myself to agree with them, but I would like them to comment on a proof I thought of (I was going to make a thread for it but I might as well just put it here).

Some people are smarter than other people.
Some people are more mature than other people.
These people do things in life that are smarter and more mature than stupid, juvenile people because that is who they are.
Creating art is something people do, and since it is a product of the person, it can be influenced by the degree to which they are stupid and juvenile.
Therefore, a stupid, juvenile person can create stupid, juvenile art that can and should be recognized as stupid and juvenile, just as we recognize when a person is acting stupid and juvenile, so that they may correct their behavior in the future.
 QED
You are absolutely right.
But a stupid, juvenile person can create stupid Prog, where a smart artistic person, would create smart
creative prog.

Put in any other genre, and it will still be true.  
I was not in any way intending to imply that only smart people create prog.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
MaxerJ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 22:40
^Thanks kingfriso!
I was hoping that this connection would make sense - i think it would be easier and better to view music in this sense than to split it up into *shudder* genres *shudder* Really, even progressive music has become a signifier for a particular type of music. I'm not just talking about the ten minute space-rock mellotron solo, progressive now means music specifically designed to be more 'elite' than other forms of music. Even this website acknowledges this. I don't even want to call it progressive now, can we find a new term? Mr Prog Freak talked about Art Rock but he's right that does have too many connotations by now.
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2009 at 23:41
I didn't actually know Harry Potter wouldn't be considered literature, whereas LotR would.

Well, whatever, how about this for the whole discussion: You can try to explain to someone that Beethoven is better than the Spice Girls, and why this is the case... and if they don't get it, either they're not into music and so they'll just go on the image of the SG (or whatever bad pop group), and claim the band is better based on that... or they're just not too bright and you can leave it... I'm sorry but this is way it is, Beethoven is better than the Spice Girls, but there's no way to prove it... you can just try to play it for someone and explain why it's better... but there's no formula for this.
MaxerJ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2009 at 00:16
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

I didn't actually know Harry Potter wouldn't be considered literature, whereas LotR would.

Well, whatever, how about this for the whole discussion: You can try to explain to someone that Beethoven is better than the Spice Girls, and why this is the case... and if they don't get it, either they're not into music and so they'll just go on the image of the SG (or whatever bad pop group), and claim the band is better based on that... or they're just not too bright and you can leave it... I'm sorry but this is way it is, Beethoven is better than the Spice Girls, but there's no way to prove it... you can just try to play it for someone and explain why it's better... but there's no formula for this.

Exactly. There is no formula for literature - people just seem to know. But we are brought up to believe that we should treat all forms of music as equal... when we should treat it like books.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2009 at 02:21
Originally posted by MaxerJ MaxerJ wrote:

Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

Exactly. There is no formula for literature - people just seem to know. But we are brought up to believe that we should treat all forms of music as equal... when we should treat it like books.

I've enjoyed the exchanges on this topic so far (very unusual)

However, it stands to reason that the sort of indefensible elitist arguments we have amongst each other about the music we profess to love, would be mirrored EXACTLY on a comparable website like the imaginary erm...

Beret Archives - Your Ultimate Literary Writing Resource

I am sure that they would have their Flaubert fanboys and endless flaming wars about 'controversial' additions to the database like Thomas the Tank Engine (Beret Archives equivalent to Dream Theater) Wink

Although I understand what you mean here, democracy has never, does not and should never have any place in the arts. (books or music) I have long suspected that the staunchest defenders of democracy have tried to shoehorn the arts into their neat little voters box with disastrous 'let the marketplace decide' results. Unfortunately, despite the clear practical advantages of this model in other spheres of life, the music that results is a muddy landslide victory for mediocrity over excellence.

back to my knitting....

terryl View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2009 at 02:25

Glad i can make my case clearly. Tongue 

Originally posted by daslaf daslaf wrote:

I guess I kinda made my point, people who doesn't have a musical training, or at least the will to understand music beyond the "sound of distortion", as someone else said, use to stay just in mainstream music, which for me ain't bad at all... 

That's true. It's not anyone's fault to stay safe by just listening to mainstream stuff. Some of the pop stuff can be very very beautiful too. For those who take the plunge into whichever genre, it is usually more rewarding. 

A Harry Potter example here. It's not too bad as a piece of literature. Some people call it junk but it has opened doors to many children, even in my country, to wander into the 'richer' literary world. For my case, glam rock acts like Bon Jovi or Skid Row opened my ears, and eventually i end up here.

And who are we to justify the right in all we do
Until we seek, until we find Ammonia Avenue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrmJ39j58W0
Alberto Muņoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2009 at 03:11
Maxer J i like your thinking, but you have to read a book that is easy to find

Terry Eagleton "an Introduction to the literature"

and read:

Rocking the Classics Edward Macan.

Also read T.S. Eliot the Waste land poem

And you will make sense of some Genesis music

MaxerJ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2009 at 03:48
Originally posted by Alberto Muņoz Alberto Muņoz wrote:

Maxer J i like your thinking, but you have to read a book that is easy to find

Terry Eagleton "an Introduction to the literature"

and read:

Rocking the Classics Edward Macan.

Also read T.S. Eliot the Waste land poem

And you will make sense of some Genesis music

I thought i already quoted Eagleton... no? Well, i have read his work thoroughly for the Lit Studies course i am currently doing... in fact i have the first chapter sitting in front of me.

But i will try to find the others... This is fun because my three favourite things are music, games and literary theory, I've got this thread and I'm doing an assignment about games as a literary text form. Wink They're all merging together!

There's a link between T.S. Eliot and Genesis! Sign me up for classes! Same for Beret Archives!

And I wasn't trying to bag Harry Potter. It is actually fantastic at getting young kids to read!

Edited by MaxerJ - October 03 2009 at 03:52
Nuke View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2009 at 11:38
Hmm, I don't know. Quality of art is subjective because there is no criteria to define quality, and if there was, then the word would have a different meaning. I mean, you can try to make it objective by defining quality as a sort of summation of the originality of ideas, the work put into the art, and so on, but when you do that you'll find yourself in disagreement with someone else because they have a different definition of quality. The reason most people understand some books to be entertainment and some books to be literature is because all the smart people say so and they can't understand the stuff called literature that well anyways. I really think the idea that some work is "better" than other work ought to be thrown out completely unless it is understood in a subjective context. You can objectively talk about who is more original, who puts more work into their art, who is not selling out, who provokes greater emotional resonance, etcetera, but you can't really talk about "quality." It's just too elusive a term.
omri View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2009 at 07:56
A very old question with no good answer.
First, I don't think that Lord of the rings is such great literature. If you realy into literature I will gladly recommend you many better books.
However, if you raised literature, there's a book dealing with this exact question. It is called "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintainance" written by Robert M. Pirsig. He explains there that quality is something we can not define but we do recognize which is exactly what you are trying to say. Now, quality (as someone allready mentioned) is what we judge with all arts - music, literature, movies, paintings, sculpture etc.
One last thing, the theory, that you have to learn music to appreciate it like you learn to read and write, sounds very logical but infact me and some others here have no musical background but still love the music here (which we don't understand). There goes a nice theory !
omri
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2009 at 09:03
I love this idear to compare the diffrent art's with music, something i often do for fun.
Like : In music and Painting, could you say that vocals in music (lets say prog) would be in it self figurative, seen not from the point of the artist, but from the point of the viewer/listner ?

Back to your question : Is it more clearly "defined" what is good litrature, than what is good music ?
No infact i dont think so, i think even people who hate Bethoven, would know that its more valid art than Spice girls, just the same way as they would know a classical book is more valid than some love story in a magasine. But they would often read the bad book and listen to Spice girls , anyway.

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
daslaf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2009 at 11:10
Originally posted by omri omri wrote:

One last thing, the theory, that you have to learn music to appreciate it like you learn to read and write, sounds very logical but infact me and some others here have no musical background but still love the music here (which we don't understand). There goes a nice theory !

Well at least from my point of view, you don't have to know what a time signature is in order to love prog music, or any other not-mainstream genre... You have to go further than just what you hear and feel music, what the artist is trying to express with his/her music, that's my point =P
But now my branches suffer
And my leaves don't bear the glow
They did so long ago
MaxerJ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2009 at 01:27
Omri - Lord of the Rings isn't the greatest book i have ever read. What i meant by referring to it was to draw light to how the public sees it compared to Harry Potter or Twilight. That is partly a historical/age difference, but it deals with more structuralist ideals that just that.
And i agree with the quality thing. It's just different words for the same thing - in Lit Studies we refer to a exceptional text (book, music, film, art) as literary. So calling them art is just a different thing.

Tamijo - I don't have anything against people listening to the Spice Girls. It's just when they don't acknowledge better forms of musicality. That's what i say to the 'all music is equal' people anyway...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2009 at 13:57
Quote ... We need to treat music like we treat books.
Find a literary theorist. Ask them to define literature. They'll tell you it's undefinable.
Find a Twilight lover. Ask them to define literature. Same thing. But I bet you if you ask them if Twilight is literature, most of them - if not all - will say no. Why? ...

I have said this all along ... in different words, and you can see this on my posts.

Only one problem ... the 20th century has been about breaking all rules possible to define any kind of art form, and music is no different ... and then, on top of it, the glorified overly magnefied upper class definition of music is over ... and in 50 years music history will have to be re-written for the last 100 years ... in general, it is not an elitist club that defined what the masses should see (you figure the tv networks would learn that from cable!) .... it is now controlled and sold by .. th emighty ones, those who sell and control the money ... and that is probably going to be an issue ... a Beethoven born today would be laughed at and insulted on this board as worse than anything you ever heard ... not to mention pretentious ... and every time there is a musical discussion, and "history" is mentioned ... a lot of the folks here ... run away and joke like it never existed or had any value ... a handful, though, are very good at discussing it.

I've said all along that a lot of the works that we consider "prog" are in essence, the symphonies of today, the concertos of today ... and should be treated as such .. but what you gonna do when the next thread is discussing the length of the songs? .... I guess Beethoven and all them idiots composed songs too ... 

Unffortunately this has to start at the top ... I think the admins here are fairly good and knowledgeable, but even them, it's hard to get them to discuss past a single album and ideas ... I have yet to be able to hear/see a single discussion mention the day and time, and that Epitath was directed face on and full blast at all the BS in VietNam and IRA ... and all the excuses ... but no ... all you hear is that it is "prog" ... and the justification is some loose end musical idea ... not even the very lyrics and poetry ...

I just think that we have to have the respect for the work, even if it is not our favorite ... and then appreciate it for what it is ... I do believe that a lot of people confuse personal preference for an art ... and a lot of this has to do with one's education ... and how their schools failed them or not ... hey, a class I taught at UCSB started with half the kids thinking that the world started when Jesus was born! .... so music didn't exist before then either! There ... some history!

It's a reflection of the social milieu ... and your ability to see/hear/know/learn ... that there is a world out there and that people are different ... and if you have the courage to actually go and visit some of those places ... many people, never leave home. ... in a way ... "prog" is all about leaving home ... and then some! Art takes a different meaning once you see Paris and London and New York ... or Tokyo.

Edited by moshkito - October 08 2009 at 14:20
Luke. J View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2009 at 23:29

Omri - Lord of the Rings isn't the greatest book i have ever read. What i meant by referring to it was to draw light to how the public sees it compared to Harry Potter or Twilight. That is partly a historical/age difference, but it deals with more structuralist ideals that just that.
And i agree with the quality thing. It's just different words for the same thing - in Lit Studies we refer to a exceptional text (book, music, film, art) as literary. So calling them art is just a different thing.
There is something more, at least to me, then the quality of content to make a book literature. It is enough if it is treated like literature, because due to it treated as literature, it has to fulfill the conditions to be called literature. And the fact that something is called literature makes us immediately think it has to be literature, therefore, of high or even, as you said, exceptional quality. This judgement really can change ones opinion about a book, the reason being that it is seen from a different angle.
This however does of course not imply that literature itself is not what it is treated like..Wink

Tamijo - I don't have anything against people listening to the Spice Girls. It's just when they don't acknowledge better forms of musicality. That's what i say to the 'all music is equal' people anyway...
Ask people whether Spice Girls of Beethoven were more musical. You may also ask whether King Crimson or Coldplay are the technically better players. But complexity and technique don't make music automatically better. Most people listen to music for their enjoyment, and if they enjoy Spice Girls (why are they always THE "example" for pop music around here?) more than Beethoven they'll say they are better. It is not that people don't recognise 'better musicality'. It is just that they don't care. Some music is so complex, or maybe old-fashioned (face it, proggers, progressive rock's classics aren't modern anymore Wink) that the broad mass does not like it automatically. But if someone appears and ranks music by the playing technique, I'm sure the list would not look like Billboard's..

You can indeed compare literature and music. Relate the Vienna-classics to the Weimar-classics, for instance. Progressive Rock would be something with long and complex sentences, a highly metaphorical language and a minimum of 30 pages per chapter. Some people would like it, for others it is too difficult to read and they would call it "bad". By the way, I fear the equivalent in books of some of today's pop music would have the literary value of a road sign..
MaxerJ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 02:51
Moshkito - Is this what you have been saying? Awesome! I guess i haven't been lurking for long enough...

It is true that post-structuralism and the breakdown of Platonic values has basically left us out in the cold for expressing how our music is better than others... How can we say something is good if we are controlled by the same cultural powers as the person who says it is bad? We can only collapse into the endless spiral of analogies... so our idea of progressive music can only stand up in a post-structural world if we attend to it with the same focus as literature.

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

"prog" is all about leaving home...

My new sig ClapBig smile

Luke. J -
Originally posted by Luke. J Luke. J wrote:

Ask people whether Spice Girls of Beethoven were more musical. You may also ask whether King Crimson or Coldplay are the technically better players. But complexity and technique don't make music automatically better. Most people listen to music for their enjoyment, and if they enjoy Spice Girls (why are they always THE "example" for pop music around here?) more than Beethoven they'll say they are better. It is not that people don't recognise 'better musicality'. It is just that they don't care.

This is why i'm careful treading on eggshells by using 'musicality' instead of 'complexity' or 'technique'. It's a pretty wishy-washy word, but i only use it in the absence of anything better to explain prog.

As for the public appeal, i don't believe there is a certain type of music that appeals to the masses... this is just too structual. Instead, if you see that everything is controlled by social and cultural constructs, it breaks down what people see as music for 'enjoyment'. I would much rather go listen to Karn Evil 9 than My Poker Face - Karn Evil 9 is much more entertaining and enjoyable for me. Long story short, the broad mass not caring about musicality is not a product of natural music selection - I'd like to think we aren't freaks of nature! Instead, it is a product of cultural constructions, which make people listen to music that is hardly better than nursery rhymes.

We can't throw our hands up in the air and say, 'Well, they're never gonna change now!' The mass appeal is always changing - it's not set in stone. Music is only entertaining if you will it to be.

(face it, proggers, progressive rock's classics aren't modern anymore Wink)

This website is probably starting to be a bit biased... people leaning more towards 70's/80's prog over modern acheivements... Personally i think Pain of Salvation and Porcupine Tree are doing a fantastic job at making prog classics that we will be reminiscing about on a forum in 20 years time...

It's really cool to see some of the comments on this thread. Thanks to everyone for putting the effort in to comment.

WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 03:10

(face it, proggers, progressive rock's classics aren't modern anymore Wink)

This website is probably starting to be a bit biased... people leaning more towards 70's/80's prog over modern acheivements.

So?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>