Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKatatonia - which Prog Archives sub-genre?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Poll Question: If Katatonia were on Prog Archives, which sub-genre would you suggest?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
59 [36.88%]
7 [4.38%]
14 [8.75%]
27 [16.88%]
16 [10.00%]
37 [23.13%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 00:19
^Well, they do have a lot of sludge and doom in them which most of the post metal bands can identify with, at least a little bit. You just add to the case that they are indeed not really prog since they don't even fit with quite a few similar bands. They certainly don't sound closer to Dream Theater, though I suppose they do have a couple similarities to My Dying Bride, which are in Tech/Extreme here now. Still, I think they should be in Exp/Post too if anything.

Harry Hood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 00:29
Wait, are you telling me Katatonia aren't already on Progarchives? What sort of madness is this? They deserve their place here far more than half the metal stuff that goes through. With their excellent musicianship, incredible use of dynamics and complex harmonic structure, there is no reason why they shouldn't be on here already.

They even have a DVD through Metal Mind! They've played prog festivals in Poland with the likes of Arena, Pendragon, and RPWL.

Progarchives just shot itself in the foot. Honor and shame.
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 00:53
At least the last 2 Katatonia albums which are the ones I still listen to regularly (haven't heard the others for ages and ages) have that David Castillo/Jens Bogren sound, which is anything BUT sludgy. It's top of the line, clean and precise metal production 
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 02:14
Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

They even have a DVD through Metal Mind!

Metal Mind was a strictly metal label at their beginnings.
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 03:17
Originally posted by Dim Dim wrote:

Okay, not trying to be too argumentative, but how would they fit in experimental post metal? Their use of pop song structures, clean vocals, and rather conventional use of guitar tone/use does not warrant them Experimental, and certainl not post metal. When you compare them to groups like Isis, Tool, or Kayo Dot, their are really very few simularities.

I think the Katatonia argument will keep going for a while longer. There's always new people coming to PA sharing the amazement that this band is not here.

I agree that they are very different from the bands you mention but they are close to many other bands in that sub. The problem with Katatonia is that they'll never entirely fit in any particular sub. They just make the music that they want to make and are not concerned with conforming to any particular style.
They sure are not just 'metal'. Way too dynamic and experimental for that.
And I do find the lead guitars very unconventional by the way. I can't think of any other guitar player that sounds like Blakkheim.

Camel666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 03:35
what the hell... yesterday when I logged in the option "progressive metal" had like 3-4 preferences, while "none of the above" was around 15. Now, not even ten hours later, "progressive metal" has skyrocketed to 22 and "none of the above" remained quite unchanged. What happened?!?
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 03:38
Originally posted by Camel666 Camel666 wrote:

what the hell... yesterday when I logged in the option "progressive metal" had like 3-4 preferences, while "none of the above" was around 15. Now, not even ten hours later, "progressive metal" has skyrocketed to 22 and "none of the above" remained quite unchanged. What happened?!?

Like people came to their senses? Big smile
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 03:47

Wait, are you telling me Katatonia aren't already on Progarchives? What sort of madness is this? They deserve their place here far more than half the metal stuff that goes through. With their excellent musicianship, incredible use of dynamics and complex harmonic structure, there is no reason why they shouldn't be on here already.

They even have a DVD through Metal Mind! They've played prog festivals in Poland with the likes of Arena, Pendragon, and RPWL.

They were included, but removed shortly after.  
Bigger on the inside.
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 05:32

Well... the many threads about Katatonia at least show that lots of people are interested in getting them on PA. Lots of peope also object to their inclusion though. I wonder if some of those who object have listened to every album in their discography or base their opinion solely on one or two albums theyīve heard ( not you H, I know)?

The problem with Katatonia ( like it was with My Dying Bride) is that they were once added to PA ( as I understand by a member who didnīt have the right to do so). There was some fuzz about that and they were then deleted. In the early days of the site everyone could add artists which is why ( at least this is my understanding) we have acts like Nightwish here too.

Iīm not sure but I think Katatonia have been evaluated since then and have been rejected ( at least thatīs what the votes indicate: http://progfreak.com/home/progarchives?path=pm/rejected&block=6). So to get Katatonia added to PA it requires the yes votes of all current members of the Progressive Metal Team, a very good reason and admin approval. I hope it happens someday, as I think Katatonia would be a great asset to this site and Iīm happy to see that Iīm not the only one with that opinion. However a strong case must be build for this to even have a small chance of happening. Iīll gladly help out but I wonīt be the one building the case ( I actually tried this once but gave it up). Too much work and way too little time on my hands to do it.

So if anyone feels they have sufficient evidence that Katatonia are a progressive/ experimental metal act. Please build a case and hand it over to the Progressive Metal Team and we will take a look ( thatīs step 1). There are no guarantees that things will change though, so be prepared for rejection. Step 2 is admin approval. Weīll talk about that if step 1 is succesful.

clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 05:33
Originally posted by Camel666 Camel666 wrote:

Very simple: multiple votes are allowed in this poll, so one come click 1000 times and alter the results.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 06:47

What about taking a chill pillConfused?
idiotPrayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 09:40
OK katatonia is one of my favourite metal bands the two latest albums are absolute masterpieces but under no circumstances prog. They are complex in the way that they use a lot of layers and textures (that's for me what sets them apart from the other metal bands) but if you look at the definitions of prog sub-genres here no-one will fit Katatonia. Not even prog-related
idiotPrayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 09:47
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

What about taking a chill pillConfused?

Techical w**kery does not equal prog (although it's often included no need to say any names) and where they've played has absolutely no difference. But I agree there is a lot of un-prog metal that should be removed from PA

Edited by Tony R - March 04 2010 at 09:57
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 09:58
can we at least pretend to be civil...Unhappy
Camel666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 12:02
Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

Very simple: multiple votes are allowed in this poll, so one come click 1000 times and alter the results.

now this makes sense.

I like Katatonia but I don't see them related to prog in any way. 
I don't get it, can't there be good non-prog bands out there or any good band becomes prog by definiton? 

UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 12:51
Yes but as you can see above there are several people who donītt agree with you that Katatonia isnīt progressive. This has got nothing to do with Katatoniaīs music being good or bad. The only thing in question here is if the music is progressive or not. Youīve stated your opinion that you donīt find it progressive which you have every right to do but donīt make it an issue about the music being good or bad. Itīs completely irrelevant.

Edited by UMUR - March 04 2010 at 12:53
angelmk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 13:26
Although i like Katatonia a lot , i cannot say it is progressive, maybe little hits of prog here and there but not sufficient enough to be added here. I get some feeling that everyone tries to push his favourite band in PA. i saw the progfreak charts UMUR displayed in the few posts above , and i saw Kreator suggested for PA, non sense, also Green Day for PA - hilarious,  also Lacuna Coil, Machine Head and countless other rejected,  for god sake people, lets add any band related to rock and metal here, so we gonna have rock/metal archives then, no need to waist our time seeking  for progressiveness, we will avoid just acts like Britney Spears and the likes,  unless someone says they are prog 
www.last.fm/user/angelmk
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 13:59
Come on angel that isnīt fair! Youīre doing the exact same thing as the Camel dude above my last post which is to imply that people here want to add Katatonia because they like Katatoniaīs music. And as I said above that is completely irrelevant. The people in this thread who would like to see Katatonia added to PA want to see Katatonia added because they feel they are progressive and have a place here.

Itīs up to those believers to create a strong enough case to convince the non-believers ( man I love those religious terms LOL). As I implied above it will likely fail, but who knows if they havenīt tried?
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 14:03

Not that I get to vote, but I have to say....big Katatonia fan, but not prog enough. Tiamat and Paradise Lost next? Type O? I love my goth metal but this is Prog Archives.

You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
angelmk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2010 at 14:52
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Come on angel that isnīt fair! Youīre doing the exact same thing as the Camel dude above my last post which is to imply that people here want to add Katatonia because they like Katatoniaīs music. And as I said above that is completely irrelevant. The people in this thread who would like to see Katatonia added to PA want to see Katatonia added because they feel they are progressive and have a place here.

Itīs up to those believers to create a strong enough case to convince the non-believers ( man I love those religious terms LOL). As I implied above it will likely fail, but who knows if they havenīt tried?
UMUR, i wasn't implying on Katatonia exactly, a was more infuriated by people who just suggest some obvious non-prog bands here,  and by accedent i unleashed my rage here on Katatonia thread. As far as i am concerned Katatonia has some prog moments for sure. i will support Negoba here, if we add Katatonia, then we also open the door for loads of bands similar to Katatonia, for example Sentenced, Autumnblaze, Nox Mortis, Swallow the Sun,Novembers Doom, Lifelover,  and that is some vicious circle , many non prog bands could enter the archives .. 
www.last.fm/user/angelmk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>