Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 08:29
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Proggers don't download songs, right? Geek

Confused Well, I'm not a "progger," but an avid MUSIC fan, and I download a LOT of songs.

Stern Smile It's called iTunes, it's perfectly legal, and the artists get royalties

I sample lots of artists & albums that way, buy individual tracks from albums I wouldn't otherwise buy, and ready access & affordability are also major plus factors. Thumbs Up

Back to my question, can anyone please be more helpful with other essential tracks on the album?
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 19:34
Peter, you have the two best tracks on the album.  Everything is sort of downhill from there.  Others to consider would be Citadel, The Lantern, or Gomper, all of which have their moments.  The second of the Sing This Song All Together tracks is a psychedelic hoot, possibly worth $0.99, but don't expect too much.  2000 Man, musically, points the way to Beggar's Banquet.  In Another Land is probably best avoided.  On With The Show sounds like an outtake from Between The Buttons. 

The album actually has pretty good production.  There's a lot going on in those grooves, or bits, or whatever they are now.  I hadn't listened to it start to finish in who knows how many years, and was in general pleasantly surprised.   

Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 20:21
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Originally posted by gr8dane gr8dane wrote:

Hehe.
I  have wanted to hear this whole album for ages.Had it with the original 3D cover waaaaaaay back but only remember She's a rainbow + 2000 lightyears from home,which is probably my favorite Stones song.
Now,just conveniently borrowed it but have not heard it yet.
Can't say I'm much of a Stones fan though.

LOL. I have the 3D cover still (Only keep the cover because the album was so scratched I couldn't listen it), but also bought the CD some years ago ina very expensive Japanese version.

Iván

I hope it was worth the price.
Shake & bake.
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2010 at 20:23
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Hehe.
I  have wanted to hear this whole album for ages.Had it with the original 3D cover waaaaaaay back but only remember She's a rainbow + 2000 lightyears from home,which is probably my favorite Stones song.

2000 lightyears from home is classic Clap. For as much being the aberration from the Stones as being a heavenly slice of  the peach pie of psycedelia.

here.. let's youtube that classic..

smoke 'em if you got 'em

Nice one.
No smoke,but I did have 2 glasses of Pino and a tequila,and that worked out very nicely.
Jaizuz.I really have to play Satanic now.
Shake & bake.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2010 at 09:44
Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

Peter, you have the two best tracks on the album.  Everything is sort of downhill from there.  Others to consider would be Citadel, The Lantern, or Gomper, all of which have their moments.  The second of the Sing This Song All Together tracks is a psychedelic hoot, possibly worth $0.99, but don't expect too much.  2000 Man, musically, points the way to Beggar's Banquet.  In Another Land is probably best avoided.  On With The Show sounds like an outtake from Between The Buttons. 

The album actually has pretty good production.  There's a lot going on in those grooves, or bits, or whatever they are now.  I hadn't listened to it start to finish in who knows how many years, and was in general pleasantly surprised.   

Thanks very much for the feedback and advice!  i will use it!  Smile
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
God Was A Mellotron View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2010 at 14:54
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Back to my question, can anyone please be more helpful with other essential tracks on the album?

I agree on that: you have the two best songs in your computer, but since I can barely find any mistakes on this album, I don't agree with jammun's comment (no offence meant at all hey: music is subjective! Smile). 
For me, Sing This All Together (See What Happens) is a real great far-out jam: diverse, catchy, psychedelic as hell and funny. (A cool legend reports that between the brass players are Nick Evans and Mark Charig, from the Canterbury Scene, but it could be a progger's fantasy!) In Another Land, moreso, is one of my favourites here, as it combines Barrett-like vocals with a delicious "old fair" atmosphere. 

Have a nice pick! Wink

God Was A Mellotron View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2010 at 15:38
Originally posted by spo1977 spo1977 wrote:

was this a concept album?

Well, as much as Sgt. Pepper's is, or In The Wake Of Poseidon... sort of a... er... "semi-concept album". Embarrassed
There's a theme that returns several times, an overall flow of unity to the album, but it (the concept) stays discreet and is not as clear or far-reaching as, say, Tales From Topographic Oceans. Smile
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2010 at 19:57
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Proggers don't download songs, right? Geek

Correct!

And they only listen to the same thing and the rest is not prog!

EmbarrassedClapTongueWinkStarShocked
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
shockedjazz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2010 at 08:48
 I think what is quite interesting in the "satanic majesties" is that beside the title is the disc were they care less about fitting with the bad boy propaganda behind the group. I think it was the time psychedelia really hitted the stones, so they get engulfed by the whole movement.
Is the time when Brian Jones became a hippy prince ( as seen in Monterrey) and they were tripping wildly.
Sometimes i feel that for a short time they believed in the artistical, political statementes of psychedelia.
They wanted to be a free artistic group.
The problem was in the time nobody liked it, mainly because they have another interesting acts to follow, and because for the whole scene the usual stones were a revered act. So like Dylan when picked the electric guitar they get a sound :"BUUUU" from the scene ( what i think is very unffair).
So basically they decided if they want the bad evil stones and loads of poropaganda thats whats your going to get. And they keep on with making a career of evil Evil Smile (B.O.C. of course)Tongue, and profits for greats blues plus image.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2010 at 10:07

Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Hehe.

LOL. I have the 3D cover still (Only keep the cover because the album was so scratched I couldn't listen it), but also bought the CD some years ago ina very expensive Japanese version.

Iván

I hope it was worth the price.

Honestly it was, I knew the album, had it on LP so I knew what I was buying.

I only bought Japanese copies of:
  1. Satanic Majesties Reqquest
  2. Criminal Record
  3. No Earthly Connection
  4. Dark Side of the Moon 24 K Gold CD (That was a stupid buy)

And German expensive xopies of Illusions on a Double Dimple and Spartacus, also great choices.

All this albums were not released on USA CD in the dark 90's, and I wanted them all, and being that a legal CD in Perú costed US$ 26.00 (Single), everything was expensive for me,  Jap copies were about 50 bucks and German ones at 40 dollars, the 24K CD was stupidly expensive.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - April 20 2010 at 10:15

TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2010 at 11:45
Their Satanic Majesties Request was a peak at their constant growth to sound darker. "19TH Nervous Breakdown" was maybe one of the first attempts at developing the sound. Aftermath was truly when they crossed into a new boundry. In comparision to what is defined as Progressive rock today, I can render that it was only Brian Jones that lead Richards and Jagger into anything that would be considered progressive. Keith Richards was writing beautiful acoustic folk ballads and Brian Jones would color them with an instrument. On various tracks Jones would choose a different instrument giving a diverse sound to their music. Brian Jones was not so much a writer but, an idea person and that is what brought the band into progressive areas.

As a multi-talented musician he was naturally able to master a melodic tone quality on all instruments he played. In the early days he played a nice clean slide guitar style. On harmonica he was quite impeccable. The difference between Jagger and Jones on harp is very obvious to the ear. Jones is plainly all over the place with fancy phrasing. The strange thing about Jones was the fact that even though he wanted the Rolling Stones to remain a blues band, he efforts to a style of music in which he may not have preferred was the most outstanding aspect to anything remaining to be progressive about the Stones.

If he had stayed clean and not fooled about with drugs and depression, I could see him blending all of those instruments he played on a solo effort......maybe like a Mike Oldfield approach. Since he was the only member of the Stones to be that diverse in reality. Because he fooled himself into believing that his personal life was a tragic set of events, his physical and mental state was destroyed. He destroyed himself and the rest of the band had reasons to boot him. Time to listen to "The Lantern" and "2000 Light Years From Home."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12