Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSome artists that should be in prog related

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2010 at 13:14
I'm noit sating that Funkadelic SHOULD be here, but I think it has real merit for Prog Related:

Hot Topic
Topic: Funkadelic for space rock/ heavy prog?
Forum: Suggest New Bands and Artists

They cite progressive rock as an influence, and they've influenced funky prog bands.
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2010 at 13:18
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

Probably number one for me here is Tori Amos. As has been endlessly said, she more or less IS Kate Bush, except perhaps a little more progressive. Bush gets a pass because of her relationship with David Gilmour and Peter Gabriel I think.

Tori is not more or less Kate Bush though her early stuff shows influence.  I know those two quite well.  I just got a Happy Rhodes CD the other day and there you can make the case.

By the way, Iván has put in a fairly restrictive definition of prog related so that many of the artists already there would be tossed out.  I don't happen to agree with it but here it is for what's it's worth:
"- Without being 100% Prog, received clear MUSICAL influence of this genre, AND

- Are widely accepted as MUSICALLY influential to the development of Progressive Rock by the community, AND

- Blend characteristics of Progressive Rock with mainstream elements creating a final product that despite not being part of the genre is evident that are close to Prog."

Item two is the one I have the biggest problem with.  Take that one away and I basically like the definition provided.  But hey, as soon as we all start agreeing on things we're probably in trouble. LOL

Just in case, I placed or in each case and the Adms decided it was too wide, something with what I agree 100%,

This week we added (thanks to Scott's effort) OTA PETRINA from Czekoslovaquia.........30 years too late!

Shouldn't we be focussing in this artists who deserve to be here by own right rather than in somehow related to related artiststs or because they have a couple of atmospheric sounds?

Please, our priorities are wrong, Prog Related artists are THE EXCEPTION to the rule of having a Progressive Rock database, not the main interest of the site.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 27 2010 at 13:21

WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2010 at 13:23
Originally posted by Klogg Klogg wrote:

Maybe the word atmospheric is mistaken, because it is too personal. I'm not the only person that think that Joy Division creates a atmosphere, but the most people I know that likes Joy don't think that.

They used reverb. That's all there is too it.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 04:37
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Joy Division were many things, but prog (even prog related) they most certainly were not. Post punk, indie, punk related, but NOT progConfused

Agreed JD has nothing prog and furthermore it would be opening the floodgates to loads of post-punk and new wave bands

Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

Probably number one for me here is Tori Amos. As has been endlessly said, she more or less IS Kate Bush, except perhaps a little more progressive. Bush gets a pass because of her relationship with David Gilmour and Peter Gabriel I think.

How on earth can Tori be more progressive than somone she practically is (your words), who created her art a decade or more before her? 

Kate Bush is here for better reasons than Peter Gabriel and David Gilmour (solo) + all neoprog and progmetal.

I like Tori Amos, but ultimately almost every song is similar-sounding of one sole  facet of Kate Bush...

And Kate has many musical facets, sometimes even groundbreaking for her times...

in terms of progyness Tori doesn't come to Kate's heels, IMHO
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 05:01
Tori is not prog really - she would never even admit that.
the next thing we will have Bjork here - please no!
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 05:11
I like Nine Inch Nails but I don't know what they're doing here.

And no Scott Walker?
Desoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 06:28
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Shouldn't we be focussing in this artists who deserve to be here by own right rather than in somehow related to related artiststs or because they have a couple of atmospheric sounds?

Please, our priorities are wrong, Prog Related artists are THE EXCEPTION to the rule of having a Progressive Rock database, not the main interest of the site.

What I cannot comprehend is why some people are obsessed with having everybody contributing in accordance with their own priorities.

I do, to the best of my ability, contribute by suggesting bands and artists that in my opinion are progressive rock, but my ability is mostly limited to the national scene of my native country. And I understand fully if members of this forum do not feel capable of contributing even this way, because it demands a lot of time and devotion to dive into the more obscure corners of any music scene.

But additionally, I see it as a value-add that this database conveys a broad spectre of progressive and progressive-related music. And if some people feel that they have their comparative advantage here, and therefore want to spend their time on discussing this, then I cannot to the heart of my soul understand why it is a problem.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2010 at 00:28
Originally posted by Desoc Desoc wrote:

What I cannot comprehend is why some people are obsessed with having everybody contributing in accordance with their own priorities.

I do, to the best of my ability, contribute by suggesting bands and artists that in my opinion are progressive rock, but my ability is mostly limited to the national scene of my native country. And I understand fully if members of this forum do not feel capable of contributing even this way, because it demands a lot of time and devotion to dive into the more obscure corners of any music scene.

But additionally, I see it as a value-add that this database conveys a broad spectre of progressive and progressive-related music. And if some people feel that they have their comparative advantage here, and therefore want to spend their time on discussing this, then I cannot to the heart of my soul understand why it is a problem.

As far as I know, this site is called Prog Archives, not almost Prog or Prog Related Archives, and the priority should be PROGRESSIVE ROCK.

It's frustrating to see 10 pages for each Prog Related suggestion and 10 posts (if too much) for Progressive Rock bands.

Iván

ko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2010 at 01:02
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I'm noit sating that Funkadelic SHOULD be here, but I think it has real merit for Prog Related:

Hot Topic
Topic: Funkadelic for space rock/ heavy prog?

They cite progressive rock as an influence, and they've influenced funky prog bands.
Agreed
Desoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2010 at 04:20

As far as I know, this site is called Prog Archives, not almost Prog or Prog Related Archives, and the priority should be PROGRESSIVE ROCK.

It's frustrating to see 10 pages for each Prog Related suggestion and 10 posts (if too much) for Progressive Rock bands.

Well, what I find most frustrating is the continous ranting against people who are engaged in discussions. It's not very constructive. They are not likely to alternatively use their energy on researching obscure 1968 Tanzanian prog acts no matter how annoyed some people may get Tongue

From one thing to another: You mentioned Titanic, a band from Norway who were included after having "waited 40 years". This is an add I assume you endorse since it has your name on it. However, as they are included in Prog Related, as they are from Norway, and as I have never heard of them although I count myself as quite enlightened on the topic of Norwegian prog, I'd like to hear your thoughts on how on earth they fulfill your criteria for inclusion in PR, particularly the second paragraph:

- Are widely accepted as MUSICALLY influential to the development of Progressive Rock by the community, AND

- Blend characteristics of Progressive Rock with mainstream elements creating a final product that despite not being part of the genre is evident that are close to Prog."

Edited by Desoc - May 29 2010 at 05:30
ko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2010 at 04:44

Terry Riley

Hot Topic
Topic: Terry Riley?

Agreed.
EDIT: Influences ...

>>>>>>>>>

Edited by ko - May 29 2010 at 12:58
ko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2010 at 05:27

- Are widely accepted as MUSICALLY influential to the development of Progressive Rock by the community, ."
Call me a stupid guy , no problem, but i have a serious problem to understand the meaning of this paragraph. How some Prog Related band/solo artist, who recieved a clear influence from the genre, but still to be *not really Prog*, then ought to be influential to the development of Progressive Rock, but somehow same act have to stay Prog Related, I mean without 100% being Prog, although that band/solo artist is to spread clear Prog influences all around ? Confused
EDIT:  I'v been thinking that Prog Related and Proto Prog are two different things. Proto Prog ought to be influential, no question. Prog Related is an act who recieved Prog influences by 100% Prog acts,( why not  from Proto Prog acts too) and mixed that with a mainstream or something, but to be "influential to Prog develepment" is too much for "poor" *not really prog* act, in my opinion.

Edited by ko - May 29 2010 at 06:04
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2010 at 13:03

Well, what I find most frustrating is the continous ranting against people who are engaged in discussions. It's not very constructive. They are not likely to alternatively use their energy on researching obscure 1968 Tanzanian prog acts no matter how annoyed some people may get Tongue

I0'm not talking about Tanzanian bands (even when I wish there was one), I'm talking about hundreds of bands in every country, but this constant suggestion - rejection - re-suggestion - re-rejection - re re suggestion of bands every time a ne guy comes, is tiresome.

From one thing to another: You mentioned Titanic, a band from Norway who were included after having "waited 40 years". This is an add I assume you endorse since it has your name on it. However, as they are included in Prog Related, as they are from Norway, and as I have never heard of them although I count myself as quite enlightened on the topic of Norwegian prog, I'd like to hear your thoughts on how on earth they fulfill your criteria for inclusion in PR, particularly the second paragraph:

I retired Titanic of my post, because I suggested them to HEAVY PROG, but only was accepted in Prog Related, that's the way I believe Prog Related shouid work, if a band is rejected from a full genre, the Admms may consider the inclusion of them into Prog Related.

But the coinstant suggestion ofv the same AOR bands hundreds of times is tiresome.

If you want to know  how I believe Titanic meets the riteris, read my revciew of Eagle Rock, but I can giveyou a hint:

1.- Was influenced by Heavy Prog bands:

Quote Their sound is a mixture of late 60's Psyche, based in frenetic but brilliant Hammond performance, Hard Rock with outstanding guitar solos and Progressive Rock with chorus a la URIAH HEEP, a structure close to DEEP PURPLE and very elaborate arrangements.

2.- It's one of the first expressions of Prrogressive Rock in Norway, so it's obvious they influenced some bands, plus it's sound is clearly a mixture of OPsyche and Heavy Prog that was used by later bbands

3.- Blends characteristoics of Prog with other elements: It may be obvious if youlisten Eagle Rock, but in case:

Quote "Eagle Rock" is opened by "One Night in Eagle Rock", the soft introduction doesn't prepare us for the superb expression of power that is coming, "Roy Robinson" with his correct vocals leads easily towards a Hammond section that introduces us in Psyche/Prog territory, while the rest of the band goes on with the strong Hard Rock so emblematic in the early 70's.

I believe this phrase sumarizes my position.

Iván

boo boo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2010 at 13:16
I love Joy Division, but while they had some elements that were similar to prog so did every post punk band and all the elements of prog are pretty vague on their own.

Post punk really did have the same philosophy as progressive rock just with a punk rock approach, I guess someone could argue that it's just as much a sub-genre of prog as it is of punk but that really would be a stretch. And if you add Joy Division you'd have to add Public Image Ltd, Pere Ubu, Wire, Gang of Four, The Pop Group, The Cure, The Fall, Killing Joke, Echoe and the Bunnymen, Devo, the whole shebang.

One post punk group that definitely could be added though is Talking Heads. Their use of odd time and unconventional rhythms, their diverse influences which includes prog and their very dynamic (if not virtuouso) instrumentation. Taking their collaborations with Robert Fripp and Adrian Belew into account and their tremendous influence on 80s King Crimson, they're definitely a shoe in for prog related.

Edited by boo boo - May 29 2010 at 13:47
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2010 at 13:20
^ And David Byrne is included in the Crossover Prog category.
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2010 at 13:40
Originally posted by ko ko wrote:

Call me a stupid guy , no problem, but i have a serious problem to understand the meaning of this paragraph. How some Prog Related band/solo artist, who recieved a clear influence from the genre, but still to be *not really Prog*, then ought to be influential to the development of Progressive Rock, but somehow same act have to stay Prog Related, I mean without 100% being Prog, although that band/solo artist is to spread clear Prog influences all around ? Confused

Not stupid at all, Prog Related was added long after the site was created, and it costed so many problems, that the Administrators took the responsability of exclusively decoiding which bands should be added or not.

In certain moment people believed almost any band from the 70's was Prog Related, then when I first wrote the definition, only one of the three cgharacteristics was required, now it's more restrictive, because the issue got out of control.

Now to your case, maybe some examples will help:

The Who: Obviously a classic Rock band placed in Proto Prog by mistake (IMHO) because their most Progressive release "Quadrophenia" was released in 1973, so should be in Prog Related.:

Influenced Prog: Pete Townsend was one of the first musicians to defy the 2.30 minutes limit to a Rock a song, the release of TOMMY is a huge influence to Rock Operas and Conceptual albums, formats used widely by Prog bands.

Influential on  Prog: It's clear that QUADROPHENIA was released in the context of Progressive Rock initial boom, the influence of the genre are more than evident

Soi as a consequence is accepted by the Prog community that without TOMMY, Prog would probably wouldn't had evolved as it did, but whoever says that The Who is a full Prog band, is wrong IMO.

STYX: An AOR/Proggy/Pop band.

Influenced: t's clear that they were influenced by Prog, it's enough to listen their first albums and even songs like Fooling Yourself or Lights.

Influential: Their sound,mthe massive use of chorus and some complex arrangements, influenced the USA Prog  development, and you will find curious to notice that they released in 1972 "Movement for a Common Man" and 5 years later ELP released "Fanfare for a Common Man".

So they were both,  ibnfluenced and influential, but mainly an AOR (as people understand AOR) band.

EDIT:  I'v been thinking that Prog Related and Proto Prog are two different things. Proto Prog ought to be influential, no question. Prog Related is an act who recieved Prog influences by 100% Prog acts,( why not  from Proto Prog acts too) and mixed that with a mainstream or something, but to be "influential to Prog develepment" is too much for "poor" *not really prog* act, in my opinion.

I agree with this, I asked some weeks ago that Proto Prog passed to be a 100% Prog category, but the majority disagrees, still I believe that the role of Proto Prog is transcendental in the evolution of the genre, but Prog Related relation is mostly casual.

As I believe, without Proto Prog, there would not exist Prog as we know it...Without PR bands nothing significant would happen.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 29 2010 at 13:42

boo boo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2010 at 13:48

^ And David Byrne is included in the Crossover Prog category.

So why not Talking Heads?

Yeah, if he gets in, so should his band.
ko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2010 at 00:12

Not stupid at all, Prog Related was added long after the site was created, and it costed so many problems, that the Administrators took the responsability of exclusively decoiding which bands should be added or not.

In certain moment people believed almost any band from the 70's was Prog Related, then when I first wrote the definition, only one of the three cgharacteristics was required, now it's more restrictive, because the issue got out of control.

Now to your case, maybe some examples will help:

The Who: Obviously a classic Rock band placed in Proto Prog by mistake (IMHO) because their most Progressive release "Quadrophenia" was released in 1973, so should be in Prog Related.:

Influenced Prog: Pete Townsend was one of the first musicians to defy the 2.30 minutes limit to a Rock a song, the release of TOMMY is a huge influence to Rock Operas and Conceptual albums, formats used widely by Prog bands.

Influential on  Prog: It's clear that QUADROPHENIA was released in the context of Progressive Rock initial boom, the influence of the genre are more than evident

Soi as a consequence is accepted by the Prog community that without TOMMY, Prog would probably wouldn't had evolved as it did, but whoever says that The Who is a full Prog band, is wrong IMO.

STYX: An AOR/Proggy/Pop band.

Influenced: t's clear that they were influenced by Prog, it's enough to listen their first albums and even songs like Fooling Yourself or Lights.

Influential: Their sound,mthe massive use of chorus and some complex arrangements, influenced the USA Prog  development, and you will find curious to notice that they released in 1972 "Movement for a Common Man" and 5 years later ELP released "Fanfare for a Common Man".

So they were both,  ibnfluenced and influential, but mainly an AOR (as people understand AOR) band.

I agree with this, I asked some weeks ago that Proto Prog passed to be a 100% Prog category, but the majority disagrees, still I believe that the role of Proto Prog is transcendental in the evolution of the genre, but Prog Related relation is mostly casual.

As I believe, without Proto Prog, there would not exist Prog as we know it...Without PR bands nothing significant would happen.

Iván
Ivan, thanks for your answer. IMO, when you were decided to be more restrictive with Prog Related, it cannot fix the problem completely because you  (admin team, special collaborators) restricted adds, but the rules is still the same so the same problems also. You have to have Proto and  Prog Related categories but  for the albums ONLY. For example: Who's Next, Quadrophenia, Tommy Soundtrack, and Who Are You are prog related albums and that is that.... Although my fav album by The Who is By Numbers, that's not a proggy album at all, its far away from Prog as same as Live at Leeds as well. Tommy original album fit Proto Prog category, and maybe A Quick One and Who Sell Out because of few important tracks. Another example:
The Dead albums as From The Mars Hotel, Blues For Allah, Terrapin Station should be listed as Prog Related; '60s masterpieces as Athem Of The Sun, Aoxomoxoa fit Proto Prog.

In that case, you have a clear situation. Some bands could have just one album in those categories, for example The Stones' Their Satanic Majesty Request or Beach Boys' Smile fit Proto Prog; Good Rats' Ratcity In Blue and ABBA's Arrival fit Prog Related category,  etc..
There are so many examples for my "theory" that the only way to get out from a number of infinity discussions - you have to have those categories open for the albums only.

Best Regards!  

Edited by ko - May 30 2010 at 00:49
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2010 at 01:05
KO, I decided nothing,

Collaborators only make suggestions in the site's structure and rules, pretty much as any member..

Cheers.

Iván

BTW: Did I heard ABBA Prog Related? Wink

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 30 2010 at 01:08

ko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2010 at 01:41

KO, I decided nothing,

Collaborators only make suggestions in the site's structure and rules, pretty much as any member..

Cheers.

Iván

BTW: Did I heard ABBA Prog Related? Wink
I'm not crazy for ABBA, even not a casual fan,  but if some band get Prog influences (Sympho in Benny Andersson case, imo)  and then we call it Prog Related, that means, imo, a band could came from any genre, even from pop as ABBA, or from new wave, i mean, not only from classic and/or hard rock as usual; for example, London Calling  have some prog elements and that album was, for later bands, sometning like Sgt Pepers for that original, British Progressive Rock movement, wasn't?

Yes, I think that  Arrival, and The Album are Prog Related albums.
BTW, I agree with you that Proto Prog would be 100% Prog category.

>>>>

>>>>

>>>>

Edited by ko - May 30 2010 at 03:38
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>