Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRatings based on progressiveness?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2010 at 17:39

I don't come here to learn about non-progressive albums and artists.  There are plenty of sites where you can review any album.  But  a great album that is not progressive cannot be "a masterpiece of progressive music".  However, it can be "an excellent addition to any prog rock music collection".  The lower an overall rating of an album, the less I will subtract for lack of progness.

Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2010 at 20:25
Originally posted by Conor Fynes Conor Fynes wrote:

Unless something is insanely prog,

that statement made me roll my eyes
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2010 at 23:23
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

I don't come here to learn about non-progressive albums and artists.  There are plenty of sites where you can review any album.  But  a great album that is not progressive cannot be "a masterpiece of progressive music".  However, it can be "an excellent addition to any prog rock music collection".  The lower an overall rating of an album, the less I will subtract for lack of progness.

See I never take the ratings system too literally. That means if you're a fan of a band but they have an album you don't like so much, you technically cannot rate that album 2 stars.
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 00:13
Originally posted by tarkus1980 tarkus1980 wrote:

I've always treated this site not as "reviews of progressive albums," but "reviews of albums, progressive or not, by artists whom the powers that be have deemed sufficiently close to progressive to merit inclusion on this site."  Because of this, I don't give any consideration to how progressive an album is when I rate it.

Which is why I enjoy your reviews more than most. We folks don't give a sap's nutsack how progressive an album is! Huzzah!
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 12:00
Yeah, albums should be rated on their own merit, not whether or not they're prog.  Deciding if it's considered prog or not is the teams job, the reviewers are just rating the albums.
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 20:25
But because we have a complete discography policy, a band/artist deemed suitable may have many non-Prog albums.  Ideally that should be mentioned in the bio, but teams often don't have time, the financial resources, or the opportunity when it comes to obscure one to check out every album, or update the bio if a new non-Prog one comes along.  What is Prog is in the ear of the behearer, anyway, and not even team members always agree.

I'm fine with people rating albums that would never have got them in highly (for example, Miles Davis' Some Kind of Blue), but at the same time we are asked to rate progressive rockshness by the descriptors.  I have a big problem with that since there are acts here that fit their categories that are not progressive rock, or rock at all.  And I'm not about to rate an album, say in Progressive Electronic, lower because it isn't rock.  I'd rather rate based on my enjoyment.

Anyway, I think reviewers should mention if they think something is not Prog in many cases, but that doesn't have to specifically factor into the rating.
My 1960 to 2024 youtube playlist, one track per act and one track per year.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4Jq6bFhyET
Fieldofsorrow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2010 at 16:45
I'm amazed that so many people do not even consider the progressiveness as a factor when reviewing albums on this site! Of course, it's not the be all and end all of music, but this site is supposed to guide a listener towards progressive rock.

I'm all for pop, jazz, metal, whatever - but I don't understand the urge to disregard the progressive ethos of the site just because you think a particular album is great. Evolver said it perfectly - there are plenty of sites for reviewing music without such a criterion. But for the love of music, it's PROG Archives, not Great Music Archives.
Groovy teenage rock with mild prog tendencies: http://www.myspace.com/omniabsenceband
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 12:20
To be honest, I do not have a standard set of criteria. Other than quality and/or progressiveness of an album, there is also expectation and comparison with other/previous works of the same or other bands. I am happy to be left free to choose which criteria to apply to each review, them including progressiveness or not.

Yes this is a progressive site and progressiveness should count, but unless there is a dual ranking system (i.e. one for general quality and one for progressiveness) I am more than happy to read the comments in the review.

Something that is prog for someone, might not be prog for another, so subjectivity will dominate in the end...
LiquidEternity View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 13:10
I tend to view a band through their discography, so when I dock an album for not being very prog, that's in comparison with other, more creative or complex albums in their own discography. So would I dock Fear of a Blank Planet for not carrying too many hallmarks of prog? Nah, because that's one of their most progressive and deep releases (okay, to my ears, anyways). But when a band like Gentle Giant has given us half a dozen absolutely terrifyingly prog albums and then throws us a limp puppy like Giant for a Day, that sucker is gonna get blasted for failing to have any good prog to it.

But the fun part is that this is all subjective, so if you think I'm an idiot, you're stupider. Wink
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 13:18
The ratings are for "how good it is". For "how progressive it is" there's the review field for anyone to leave their impressions on the matter. 
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 13:27
I used to do this, but then I grew up. 

I'm sick of genres. Music is either good or it isn't. Anything beyond that is just petty. So yes, you will be able to go through my past reviews and run into a few lesser ratings simply because I didn't consider it 'prog'. But anything I will review in the future will be rated under different circumstances, as far as I am concerned. 
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 13:29
Originally posted by Fieldofsorrow Fieldofsorrow wrote:

I'm amazed that so many people do not even consider the progressiveness as a factor when reviewing albums on this site! Of course, it's not the be all and end all of music, but this site is supposed to guide a listener towards progressive rock.

I'm all for pop, jazz, metal, whatever - but I don't understand the urge to disregard the progressive ethos of the site just because you think a particular album is great. Evolver said it perfectly - there are plenty of sites for reviewing music without such a criterion. But for the love of music, it's PROG Archives, not Great Music Archives.

If you want to warn people of an album lacking your criteria for 'prog', say so in the review. The album's rating shouldn't suffer simply because you don't think it's in line with the mindset of visitors to this site. 

My opinion, that's all. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 13:31
^ and ^^ Clap
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 13:54
Originally posted by Conor Fynes Conor Fynes wrote:

As you may have noticed, there have been alot of reviews posted on this site slamming various, otherwise 'good' albums for not being progressive enough; some even admitting to giving an album one less star just because it's not necessarily prog.

Now, I understand that this is a Prog site, but it seems sort of unfair to write off otherwise good albums simply because it isn't 'prog.' While the label of prog generally means there is intelligence and complexity involved, alot of simpler music is just as (sometimes more) heartfelt and quality than the progressive material.

Thoughts and opinions?

Some thoughts:
  1. Prog is not a label of quality, it's simply a genre.
  2. Now, the guidelines are clear, 5 stars = Essential: a masterpiece of progressive rock music and 4 stas = Excellent addition to any prog rock music collection
  3. A non Prog album may be a masterpiece but never: :
    1. A masterpiece of Prog Music or
    2. An excellent addition to a Prog Rock Collection
  4. Not because it is bad, but because it's not Prog, a Symphonic Prog album can't be a masterpiece of Jazz Music, and nobiody would even believe this...simply because it's not Jazz

Now, in one case I was particularly harsh, but explained my reasons:

Album: Who's Next
Rating 3 stars
Reason;

Quote No matter how much I love "Who's Next" I'm not sure why am I rating it in a Prog site, I agree it's the quintessential Rock album, a perfect masterpiece and one of my favorite albums of all times, but has absolutely no relation with Prog, but, it's here and it's great so I will review even when I must say in advance that the rating will be unfair for the quality of the music but it's one of the injustice that can happen when a band is placed out of it's natural context.

In a Classic Rock or general music site I will give the maximum rating without hesitation, no matter if it's 5, 10 or 20, maybe even an extra one, but in a Prog site my hands are tied, if it had even the slightest Prog relation I would go with 4 stars but that's not the case, so I will go with 3 stars, not without feeling a traitor to one of my all time favorite bands.

Excuse me Pete, Roger and of course Keith and John (wherever you are), but I didn't placed you in this situation.

This is the reason why I fought against the inclusion of The Who, I'm a hardcore fan, but simply I believe they don't belong here.

So, if I want to follow the guidelines, I have do this.

But in no case being an album more Prog than another or having a higher degree of Progressiveness (whatever this means), is an excuse for me, to rate an album higher, all Prog releases s are in the same starting point, what I rate is the music.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - August 01 2010 at 13:57

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 14:20
Originally posted by JLocke JLocke wrote:

I used to do this, but then I grew up. 

I'm sick of genres. Music is either good or it isn't. Anything beyond that is just petty. So yes, you will be able to go through my past reviews and run into a few lesser ratings simply because I didn't consider it 'prog'. But anything I will review in the future will be rated under different circumstances, as far as I am concerned. 

ThisClap.

An album is either good or it isn't. I have my opinion on the practice of docking stars because something is 'not prog' (something which cannot be objectively measured anyway - there are people who don't consider Krautrock or Jazz/Rock to be prog), but will withhold them because it is not my habit to offend people. Unlike some members here who seem to be unable to post anything without putting someone or something downDead.
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 14:23
Yes, just rememberd the thread you made Raff in the CZ which has a lot to do with this, I'll quote stuff by Admin, Easy Livin' which I think it's important:

Originally posted by The Quiet One The Quiet One wrote:

Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

Personally, I read back my reviews a few days after writing them, and decide from the text on a straight 1-5. I never actually thnk "is this for corrctors/fans only?" I think "that album deserves 2 out of 5".

Hey Bob, is it too much to ask to add to the review guidelines something that says that the definitions of the stars don't need to be complied exactly as it is? They just give you an idea as how to classify the stars, but they are not necessary compulsory to comply.
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

Not too much to ask TQO, but is it really necessary? There's no way a rigid adherence to the definitions could ever be enforced anyway. We would only ever question a star rating if it was obvious a mistake had been made (Such as the guy who wrote a glowing review of an album and gave it one star, thinking one star was the top of the ratings).

Edited by The Quiet One - August 01 2010 at 14:25
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 15:31
Originally posted by JLocke JLocke wrote:

If you want to warn people of an album lacking your criteria for 'prog', say so in the review. The album's rating shouldn't suffer simply because you don't think it's in line with the mindset of visitors to this site. 

My opinion, that's all. 

I see your point - of course the review is the optimum place to outline an album's progressive (or non-progressive) qualities. But the ratings system does indicate where any given album sits in a progressive rock collection. How can one award a completely unrelated album to the genre the status of being essential to any prog fan? I appreciate that is an extreme case, but it's where that particular line of thinking takes you, and it does strike me as rather illogical.

All this talk about growing up - what do you mean? It's far easier to disregard progressiveness, because it's a quality that's so hard to define, but how is classification juvenile?

No disrespect here, I'm just stumped.
Groovy teenage rock with mild prog tendencies: http://www.myspace.com/omniabsenceband
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 15:39
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

The ratings are for "how good it is". For "how progressive it is" there's the review field for anyone to leave their impressions on the matter. 

But... the ratings ARE for an album's progressiveness. Combined with quality, of course. Ivan was quite right to make those guidelines so bold and large - no masterpiece of progressive rock can reach such a stature if it isn't prog, surely?! Nor for that matter can it be an excellent addition to a prog rock collection. Confused

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 16:08

Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

But... the ratings ARE for an album's progressiveness.

NO, look again. They are to help you say if it's "good", "excellent", "masterpiece", "be careful" or "save your money" LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 16:09
^

An excellent what? An excellent addition to a progressive rock collection, that's what...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>