Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHave You Seen Triumvirat Live?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2010 at 18:20
On the net, i found an episode guide for ABC's original In Concert series, and found the following-

1975-01-17  #49

Bobby Vinton
Kool and the Gang
Earth Wind and Fire
Triumvirat

so there it is, or was, with the right date

Dick Clark had taken over the show in 1973, as Don Kirshner had a falling out with the Network, and thus Don  Kirshner's Rock Concert

there was Kirshner's bankrupty in the 1990's that complicates rights issues, but there still is still hope
moodyxadi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2010 at 12:27
For the mention about the Trimvirat-Uncommon cd I think you're talking about a bootleg from the Illusions and Spartacus era. Most tracks are with B- sound but it's worth listening to it. If you want it I know where you can obtain it for free. Just e-mail me.
Bach, Ma, Bros, Déia, Dante.
Lozlan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 10:36
I'd just like to state that, due to this post, I hunted down and started listening to Triumvirat.  Great stuff - I'm a whore for excellent keyboard work.  Thanks.
Certified Obscure Prog Fart.

The Loose Palace of Exile - My first novel, The Mask of Tamrel, now available on Amazon and Kindle
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 10:46
Originally posted by Lozlan Lozlan wrote:

I'd just like to state that, due to this post, I hunted down and started listening to Triumvirat.  Great stuff - I'm a whore for excellent keyboard work.  Thanks.
Great news-enjoy!
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2010 at 17:35
 I have some bad news regarding the 1975 Triumvirat "In Concert" video

I contacted the host of the series at that time, Don E. Branker, and he told me that ABC threw out all the In Concert videos, and that there will be no dvds of them in the future

painfull news, but at least we know now from a proper source
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2010 at 16:59
Okay, so the ABC In Concert Triumvirat video is not possible
           but what about backing things up a bit?
     Did anybody see the band on television in Europe before their involvement in America? Possibly The Beat Club in Germany, or something similar?
            i know about the two songs on youtube currently, the Hymn from Germany with Barry Palmer on vocals, and Waterfall with Jurgen Fritz singing from Switzerland, both from 1978 i believe, but what about earlier than the In Concert video from 1975?
              Ring any bells, anybody?
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 11:39
I found out from someone in Germany that around 75/76 in Germany there was a television program featuring Triumvirat known as Bios Bahnhof Music that featured music and interviews regarding Old Loves Die Hard.
        Bad news is that he does not believe that it was ever re-broadcast.
         Wouldn't that be something to see, though!
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2011 at 21:31
Well, well, well!
         For the first time in my life, on the net tonight, i saw a direct reference to a concert with Triumvirat in Canada.
 (I started a thread on Triumvirat in Canada, but it has been closed)
           The reference mentions Supertramp and Triumvirat -Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium, Calgary, Alberta, Canada for Tues. Aug. 5th, 1975.
              It does not mention who led in for who, and whether this concert actually did take place for certain.
        Anybody out there actually see the show?

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2011 at 20:11
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Well, well, well!
         For the first time in my life, on the net tonight, i saw a direct reference to a concert with Triumvirat in Canada.
           The reference mentions Supertramp and Triumvirat -Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium, Calgary, Alberta, Canada for Tues. Aug. 5th, 1975.
              It does not mention who led in for who, and whether this concert actually did take place for certain.

Have you tried contacting the musicians themselves?  I'm friends with many proggers like John Goodsall, we chat all the time.   

Of course, you'd have to contact Helmut's next of kin....such a sad and stupid ending to a brilliant career!  
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2011 at 11:06
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Well, well, well!

Have you tried contacting the musicians themselves?  I'm friends with many proggers like John Goodsall, we chat all the time.   

Of course, you'd have to contact Helmut's next of kin....such a sad and stupid ending to a brilliant career!  
Thanks for your suggestion, cstack3. Definitely worth attempting. I believe i know how to reach Jurgen Fritz on the net, Hans Bathelt i am not sure, and possibly Helmut Koellen's sister, Elke Schlimbach (who remarried evidently for a second time, so the last name may now be different)
          Being Canadian, i have always  been curious about possible Triumvirat activities here in the seventies
         Sometimes i feel like hell when i think of Helmut Koellen being gone all these years, i know what you mean, what a senseless waste

Edited by presdoug - June 13 2011 at 11:08
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2011 at 11:21

Well, well, well!

Thanks for your suggestion, cstack3. Definitely worth attempting. I believe i know how to reach Jurgen Fritz on the net, Hans Bathelt i am not sure, and possibly Helmut Koellen's sister, Elke Schlimbach (who remarried evidently for a second time, so the last name may now be different)
          Being Canadian, i have always  been curious about possible Triumvirat activities here in the seventies
         Sometimes i feel like hell when i think of Helmut Koellen being gone all these years, i know what you mean, what a senseless waste

I'm lucky that I saw them!  I liked Helmut's work on both guitar AND bass (like him, I am a player of both), and also his vocals!!  As I recall, he spoke no English and had to learn the lyrics phonetically.  

Good luck with your quest, you may find some cool stuff if you can engage the band members.  They'll be glad to know people still care. 

Edited by cstack3 - June 13 2011 at 11:21
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2011 at 16:57

Well, well, well!

If it's not too out of line....can you please ask John Goodsall one day if the original back catalog of Brand X might be remastered and released in the near future? Could you imagine how fantastic it would be if Esoteric were to re-do those titles?

Unorthodox Behaviour
Morocon Roll
Live Stock
Masques
Product
Do They Hurt?

TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2011 at 17:02

If the original master tapes of the Triumvirat live show from Kirshner were released officially on cd,.....I would probably buy it. I think that would be a unique listening experience. Forget the visual for dvd......I would just love to hear the performances. Or any early show of theirs would do nicely.

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2011 at 17:05

Well, well, well!

I'm lucky that I saw them!  I liked Helmut's work on both guitar AND bass (like him, I am a player of both), and also his vocals!!  As I recall, he spoke no English and had to learn the lyrics phonetically.  

Good luck with your quest, you may find some cool stuff if you can engage the band members.  They'll be glad to know people still care. 
  I managed to e-mail Jurgen Fritz, so we'll see what happens-it would be a thrill to get a direct reply, considering how big a fan i am of his! I am also going to try to contact Bathelt and Helmut's sister Elke-never know until you try
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2011 at 17:45
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Well, well, well!

If it's not too out of line....can you please ask John Goodsall one day if the original back catalog of Brand X might be remastered and released in the near future? Could you imagine how fantastic it would be if Esoteric were to re-do those titles?

Unorthodox Behaviour
Morocon Roll
Live Stock
Masques
Product
Do They Hurt?

I'll give you the simple answer:  "no."  Both John and Percy Jones were hosed big-time out of their royalties (I know 'em both).  
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2011 at 18:57

I found out from someone in Germany that around 75/76 in Germany there was a television program featuring Triumvirat known as Bios Bahnhof Music that featured music and interviews regarding Old Loves Die Hard.

This reminds me of a similar case.

In 1992 Rick Wakeman played on Lima, the concert was amazing because Ricks instruments were sent to Paraguay (IATA CODE Pa) instead of Perú (IATA code Pe).

So the concert started at 1:00 am and Rick was so touched because still the hall was full (On a working day) that he played until 4 am one of his best shows, also because it was the last show with my best friend who died months later on a car accident.

When I was leaving saw 8 cameras with the logo of a Peruvian station, so prepared my VCR to tape it, but never was broadcasted.

Years later I was hired for a case on that TV station and asked the General Manager for a copy, so he gave me a pass for the basement (The archive) and started to search, after hours found the magic tape "RICK WAKEMAN 1992 SHOW, WITH INTERVIEWS"....God it was like finding the holy Grail, the administrator prepared 3 tapes and the machine to make me a professional recording, but when the copy started...IT WAS A MENUDO SHOW TAPED OVER WAKEMAN'S CONCERT. Angry

So don't expect to find a copy, TV cameramen take old tapes to record more popular shows.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - June 14 2011 at 00:43

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2011 at 20:09
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

This reminds me of a similar case.

In 1992 Rick Wakeman played on Lima, the concert was amazing because Ricks instruments were sent to Paraguay (IATA CODE Pa) instead of Perú (IATA code Pe).

So the concert started at 1:00 am and Rick was so touched because still the hall was full (On a working day) that he played until 4 am one of his best shows, also because it was the last show with my best friend who died months later on a car accident.

When I was leaving saw 8 cameras with the logo of a Peruvian station, so prepared my VCR to tape it, but never was broadcasted.

Years later I was hired for a case on that TV station and asked the General Manager for a copy, so he gave me a pass or the basement (The archive) and started to search, after hours found the magic tape "RICK WAKEMAN 1992 SHOW, WITH INTERVIEWS"....God it was like finding the holy Grail, the administrator prepared 3 tapes and the machine to make me a professional recording, but when the copy started...IT WAS A MENUDO SHOW TAPED OVER WAKEMAN'S CONCERT. Angry

So don't expect to find a copy, TV cameramen take old tapes to record more popular shows.

Iván

What a story! Man, Ivan, i feel your pain. (and some pain of my own) Probably one the biggest "If Onlies" of your life. As you can see with Triumvirat live, i have some of my own painful if onlies, too. Unfortunately, such is life
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2011 at 20:23

If the original master tapes of the Triumvirat live show from Kirshner were released officially on cd,.....I would probably buy it. I think that would be a unique listening experience. Forget the visual for dvd......I would just love to hear the performances. Or any early show of theirs would do nicely.

i know what you mean, even audio only, wouldn't it be something! Maybe something legit, live and purely audio from the early Triumvirat days will surface, let's hope so

Edited by presdoug - June 13 2011 at 20:27
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2011 at 21:25

Well, well, well!

Unorthodox Behaviour
Morocon Roll
Live Stock
Masques
Product
Do They Hurt?

I'll give you the simple answer:  "no."  Both John and Percy Jones were hosed big-time out of their royalties (I know 'em both).  
This I don't have a difficult time believing. Yet I am shocked when I think of the importance the both of them had to myself and many musicians around me during the 70's. Both of these guys had a huge impact on musicians who were younger and worked feverishly to learn Brand X pieces. They deserve their royalties just for entering the music world and giving us inspiration to move foward.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2011 at 23:08
John posted this to his Facebook page last Friday:

"John Goodsall and Percy Jones, who wrote all but a few tunes by Brand X, have never been paid royalties for over 35 years of worldwide sales for the 1st 6 legally released Brand X albums or the subsequent 10 or more Brand X compilations. Only one company, Buckyball Records, an indie label has ever paid the 2 composers royalties."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>