Topic ClosedElectronic Music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2010 at 15:08
Originally posted by kardios kardios wrote:

any noise fans ?
Wait, there's someone else who would take about noise with me if I made a thread? This changes everything!
if you own a sodastream i hate you
GY!BE View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2010 at 16:51
In the hip-hop scene I only know Immortal Technique and some other "consciouss rap" artist (as they call themselves.)
Deleuze View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2010 at 18:02
Originally posted by GY!BE GY!BE wrote:

In the hip-hop scene I only know Immortal Technique and some other "consciouss rap" artist (as they call themselves.)

2pac is also good as hell

Edited by Deleuze - October 01 2010 at 18:02
Xanatos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2010 at 21:06
Zappa Synclavier stuff count as Electronic? 
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2010 at 23:39
I am part of the electronic underground scene here in Copenhagen, and it is truly flourishing now. Last weekend I was at a undercover festival with all kinds of electronic music. There was a guy who played upright bass with a bow - cleverly using some sort of loop trough a pedal - always changing the pace and the melody. I have never seen anything like this - he was absolutely out of this world! I think it is safe to say that the scene is undergoing the same sorts of changes as the rock scene was back in the late sixties early seventies. But then again why shouldnŽt it?
If you are into electronic and prog - you should check out Sphongle and Infected Mushroom who incorporates real musical instruments in their music. Heavyweight by Infected is as close to prog as youŽll ever get whilst still danceable.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2010 at 23:43
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

If you are into electronic and prog - you should check out Sphongle and Infected Mushroom who incorporates real musical instruments in their music. Heavyweight by Infected is as close to prog as youŽll ever get whilst still danceable.

I have and enjoy Vicious Delicious. Thumbs Up
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2010 at 23:58
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I have and enjoy Vicious Delicious. Thumbs Up

That album is awesome. Some of the parts actually feel like a "prog" record. Shifts and turns - infused with real solos. I love the analogue synths theyŽve got going.
spookytooth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2010 at 00:01

Big electronic music fan here. I'm into a lot. I love Autechre, Amon Tobin, Venetian Snares, Flying Lotus, Boards of Canada and many many others. I also like a lot of old electronic music. Many artists from the Krautrock scene are of great interest to me (Kraftwerk, Klaus Schulze and Tangerine Dream to name a few).

Lately I've been getting into glitch music. Wikipedia has a good definition of it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glitch_(music). One glitch musician has really captivated me recently: Murcof. Check him out, just look him up on youtube and you'll find some of his music (I would recommend listening to Maiz first). It's really a great listen for anyone into ambient, IDM, or drum n bass. People who have an interest in Frank Zappa's more avant-garde, musique-concrete compositions would also love Murcof and glitch music in general.

Would you like some Bailey's?
Synchestra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2010 at 04:29
RATATAT were recently announced as one of the artists of next year Big Day Out (a big music festival in Australia and New Zealand) and I'm more then likely going (Tool and Deftones will be there, so It'll be hard to find a reason not to go!) so I picked a great time to start looking into electronic. It'll be interesting to see what its like live.
'Yeah, thats.. Whatever you're talking about for ya' - Zapp brannigan
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2010 at 05:26
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I, just recently, went through a large collection of KEYBOARD magazines, and I enjoyed reading Bryan Eno's  couple of interviews. But one bit caught my eyes. Bob Moog had an article about ... "where's the knobs?" ... and that one had me. He mentions that the desire to search and play with the sound was falling off ... that everyone was going for samples and were not exploring the sounds anymore ... and this is so very true, and one of the reasons why so much music in myu ear, these days, sounds "pre-fabricated" and not very original ... it has become like the bar stuff mentioned above ... nothing new ... and it all sounds the same on top of it, except that we're going to find another sub-genre for something else tomorrow or next year.

This was very much the case by the end of the late 80s and for much of the 90s, but to a degree I think it's come full circle. Even Rick Wakeman dusted off his inventory of analog 'boards to record the two Retro albums. Guys like Ian Boddy and Mark Shreeve (together known as Arc) are still interested in pushing the envelope. Erik Norlander's modular gear gets plenty of attention, too.
E-Prog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 14:34
Any reason there shouldn't be listings here for the Progressive Electronic British School artists such as Mark Shreeve, Ian Boddy and Andy Pickford?
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 14:39
Originally posted by E-Prog E-Prog wrote:

Any reason there shouldn't be listings here for the Progressive Electronic British School artists such as Mark Shreeve, Ian Boddy and Andy Pickford?

Maybe they weren't suggested so far.
E-Prog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 15:15
Sorry but I am new here... where can I make a suggestion for new listings? Embarrassed
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 15:19
First, you can search the forum for previous suggestion of those artists. When yo do that, make sure to change from "Last Six Months" to "Any Time" in the search timeline.

If you can't find any previous threads, then you need to open new threads in the "Suggest New Bands"area.

Just a suggestion, if the artists you named are modern techno/electro artists, then their chances to get in are quite small.

Welcome to the forum!
E-Prog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 15:46
Thanks, I'll look into the "Suggest New Bands" area.  Actually, your feedback was what I was looking for.  I realize that this site does not include the strictly electronic music of ambient or techno style artists.  The guys I am suggesting, although they are generally solo electronic/keyboard musicians, produce music which is typically very melodic and often bombastic.  The main difference from symphonic prog is that they do not use drums and guitars, rather they generate electronic rhythm sounds to compliment their keyboard and synthesizer themes.  Their music is equivalent to some of the more progressive releases of Tangerine Dream, Jean-Michele Jarre, Kraftwerk and Synergy, which are all included here.  I'll give it a shot.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 16:16
Didn't know Shreeve had non-Redshift stuff. Gotta check that out.
E-Prog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 17:21
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Didn't know Shreeve had non-Redshift stuff. Gotta check that out.

IMO, Shreeve's best solo releases are Crash Head (1988) and Assassin (1984), plus the live release, Collide (1994).
catfood03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 20:13
Recently discovered Nosaj Thing. I think his work is a good balance of glitch and mellow beats...

Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 20:27
Squarepusher is already on PA in JR/F. I love electronic music from trip-hop to serial composers and exotica records. The big DJ/electronic music scene of the early 90s was one of the most creative periods in music I've ever witnessed. It was nice that one of the best DJ shops in the country was a block from my house during this time.
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 20:50
I love Orb, Future Sound Of London, Aphex Twin, Squarpusher, Air...in fact many things from 50's contemporary classical to this day. I'm also involved in a few of projects (and some will be released soon)...the electronic scene is quite fruitful in my town, from retro-electro to slow spectral shifts...

However, if you're looking for a most bizarre combination of prog rock and electronica, please check Superluminal Pachyderm. Incredible. (it's here on PA)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>