Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe longest song you know

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 17:13
For clarification, I tend to refer to pieces on any rock album as "songs", simply because that's the name I've had for them. Though I think that I usually refer to instrumentals as instrumentals. =P I'll add that to the OP if that helps.

Anyway, suites, pieces, symphonies, songs- I'd like to hear about all of it, because I do love my long songs. But I think it is necessary to define pieces that are divided into sections that can stand alone from those that are intended as continuous, unbroken pieces of music in all forms. To use Dream Theater as an example, Octavarium has movements within it, but that's an unbroken piece of music, whereas Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence is a suite, clearly defined into eight sections that can stand on their own, so I tend to feel slightly as though SDOIT was cheating. :P It does help when they get grouped as one track on an album, I suppose. Maybe that's just me.
All your hearts now seem so far from me,
It hardly seems to matter now.
questionsneverknown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 17:43
Perhaps not a song, but one of the longest compositions I'm aware of is Morton Feldman's String Quartet II, which takes around 6 hours to perform . . . and it actually does get performed.  For the musicians, it's an endurance test, like hiking the Grand Canyon, with similar experiences of beauty to compensate for the pain.
The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock
topographicbroadways View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 19:23
you can't really discount something for being a suite long compositions are written in sections any 15 minute+ piece you think of will have movements i struggle to think of any long pieces that aren't suites in movements unless you start thinking of late 60's psych songs that could last 15 minutes or 2 hours depending on how much acid was in the bands system
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 19:57
Isn't The Whirlwind a single song divided into sections? That's how I've always thought of it... The live one track version is 80 minutes.
Mushroom Sword View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 19:58
Lol it reminds me of this...

Edit:
From Here:
http://www.cracked.com/funny-2359-progressive-rock/

Which is where I got my name from.

Edited by Mushroom Sword - November 15 2010 at 19:58
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 19:59
Originally posted by Mushroom Sword Mushroom Sword wrote:

Lol it reminds me of this...

Edit:
From Here:
http://www.cracked.com/funny-2359-progressive-rock/

Which is where I got my name from.

Thumbs Up

That's actually the link  for my signature right now Shocked

clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 21:32
This. And it's one hell of a song.

A honourable mention goes to song/album Requiem Apocalyptique by Guillaume de la Pilliere. Very good, too.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 21:52
"Interlude/Theme From Jack Johnson" collected in Agharta of Miles Davis is 56 seconds for one hour.

The name of a song has adhered separately. However, it will be able to be interpreted as a set.

Edited by Kazuhiro - November 15 2010 at 22:00
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 22:11
I don't consider The Whirlwind a song because there are clear divisions in it. It doesn't trundle along continuously from beginning to end. You can feel one tune stopping and another one starting.
I mean by this token any album without gaps between tracks is song.
JasonL View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 05:28
If live jams count, then John Coltrane's version of "My Favorite Things" on Live in Japan is about 57 minutes.  And Phish once did a version of "Runaway Jim" that went 58 minutes.  It seems to me that this is a different kind of thing, though, than a planned composition.
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 06:12
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

I don't consider The Whirlwind a song because there are clear divisions in it. It doesn't trundle along continuously from beginning to end. You can feel one tune stopping and another one starting.

It's all about context. You have to read comments by the band as to whether they consider something like Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (for example) to be a single piece of music or seperate songs.
Mr. Maestro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 06:50
Originally posted by RoeDent RoeDent wrote:

Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

It's all about context. You have to read comments by the band as to whether they consider something like Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (for example) to be a single piece of music or seperate songs.

Personally, I think it all depends on whether or not the artists intended the piece to be taken as a single song or simply an extended, lengthy conceptual piece.  I always thought of The Whirlwind as a single song myself, just with track divisions to mark the transitions between movements.

Outside of that, though, the longest single-track song I've ever heard is Galleon's "The Ocean," which was discussed pretty heavily on the first page.  I agree with everything that was said - the lyrics are fairly lousy, but the instrumental work is fantastic.
"I am the one who crossed through space...or stayed where I was...or didn't exist in the first place...."
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 07:01
Are we talking length or stuff that just seems to take too long? LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Elderflower Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 12:49
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Are we talking length or stuff that just seems to take too long? LOL
Technically, I mean length, although definitely discuss the stuff that just takes too long. It'd be good for a laugh. Tongue
All your hearts now seem so far from me,
It hardly seems to matter now.
firstlensman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 12:50
Yes, The Whirlwind IS one song just as Requiem by Mozart (for example), which has 14 movements, is considered one work (K. 626). I have The Whirlwind in one MP3 file (300mps) on my I-Pod.
First Lensman
"Forever caught in desert lands, one has to learn to disbelieve the sea"
Ronnie Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 12:51
The Top 40 drivel I overheard and is now stuck in my head. I can't tell you the exact length of it, but it seems to go on forever.
dave-the-rave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 13:23
La Monte Young and the Forever Bad Blues Band - "Young's Dorian Blues in G" from Just Stompin': Live at the Kitchen  (I have this, and it's one live piece that needs 2 CD's to contain it. I thought it was an hour and 20 minutes or so, but the RS review says '2 hours.'  I'll check tonight when I get home.)

Young recorded Just Stompin': Live at the Kitchen with his band in 1993. Clearly influenced by the blues of John Lee Hooker and John Coltrane, the album also somewhat resembled the work of the Velvet Underground and modern rock experimentalists Sonic Youth. David Fricke gave the album four stars in his review in Rolling Stone. "Two hours, one song (never mind 'song,' one chord progression), no break—and zero boredom," noted Fricke. In his review of Just Stompin'in the Detroit Metro Times, Jurek said, "The band plays dynamically, from soft to hard and back, gradually building in both intensity and tension, laying back just enough—without letting the air out—to allowthe musicians (and listeners) to breathe and start again, until the music reaches an unbearable pitch [that] shatters all divisions between blues, Indian classical music, punk, heavy metal, grunge, modal jazz and noise, because it's all of them and none of them at once."

Some more about the piece here, if anyone is interested:  http://melafoundation.org/fbbpress.htm

Edited by dave-the-rave - November 16 2010 at 13:29
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 13:31
Pretty sure Robert Rich's Somnium counts. It's a 7-hour song in 3 parts.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 14:26
Didnt the Grateful Dead do songs that went on for days??WinkLOL

rod65 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 14:28
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Originally posted by rod65 rod65 wrote:

I'm inclined to stick with vocals as an integral component of a song. The word "song" means music that is sung as opposed to music that is exclusively instrumental. That said, the longest song I know is Galleon's "The Ocean," clocking in at 52:05. Though it is divided into parts in the notes, it is a single track on the CD. Not a huge fan of the lyrics, by the way--too heavy-handed for my taste--but instrumentally it is quite good.

Holy cow you are right. I had to look it up, but yep, its in the definition. I guess I have to start calling Canvas Solaris tracks "pieces" or "movements", neither of which are attractive terms.
You could try calling them compositions, or simply tracks. To be honest, when they get up to 20 minutes, "song" doesnt really seem to fit.

Anyway, Fantomas Delerium Cordia comes in at 1hr 14 minutes and 16 seconds.

I was going to suggest "compositions" or "tracks" as well. I like "compositions" because this refers to the artistry that goes into them rather than merely to space on a disk.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>