Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDream Theater fans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 07:46
I kinda like the live version on 'Live scenes...' the most..it works so much better on that CD set..
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 07:50
Originally posted by Man Overboard Man Overboard wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

It's an EP.  A Change Of Seasons was intended for Images And Words, but never got recorded until post-Awake.  To pad the release out, they threw on some live cover tracks.  Hence, an EP.

I know the history of the album already, but its not an EP. Live tracks mixed with studio tracks do not an EP make! Hence a LP!

DT refers to it as an EP.  If it wasn't, Octavarium would've been their 9th album, killing all the symbolism. 

Put it like that, your right! I never bothered to count 'em before! Defies all logic to me though. Seems they've streched the maeaning of EP out of all shape!

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 07:54
Hey what do you know. I've just been to DT's website and they describe Live at The Marquee as an EP too! I guess they don't know what they're talking about. Sounds like an album becomes an EP on just say so!
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 09:27

Have a look:

http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/Ep

It all boils down to an arbitrary decision that the artists or the record company makes. A Change Of Season contains one Studio track, Live at The Marquee none at all. The live tracks are basically official bootlegs. I can understand why Dream Theater wouldn't call these two records full albums.

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 10:20

Originally posted by Entropia Entropia wrote:

How many of you have heard the original version of a change of seasons??

Hi Entropia,

Getting back to your original question, I have not heard the original, although I'm led to believe that it was never really got finally completed until the EP (now lets not start..) it lay around in bits and they had several goes at revising it between SFAM and Awake.

I'm guessing that 'the original' as such was never in sufficiently coherent shape to perform, as they would have shoved it onto 'Cleaning Out The Closet' (Xmas 1999) or another Fan Club disk before now.  Let me know what you think.

Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Gentle Ronnie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 10:46

...suck. There, I finished the sentence.

Kidding.

Nobuo22 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 11:07
I was so dissapointed by Octavarium. All the dream theater albums so far has been great. A mix of melodic/epic songs. But now all the songs are pure metal with no feeling. It sucks. Why did they have too make their last album for a while so bad. Im so dissapointed. But one bad album out of so many doesnt ruin my interest for Dream theater.
add me to your msn list if you want to talk about dream theater,final fantasy,porcupine tree,lifehouse or goo goo dolls.
Geee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 11:10

Originally posted by Valarius Valarius wrote:

So ignore them.

That's what I was going to say!  You read my mind!

Cheers

"Just as a bell that has been rung cannot be "unrung", the annoying problem with the Truth is that, once you learn it, you can not "unlearn" it."

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 12:43

It's an EP.  A Change Of Seasons was intended for Images And Words, but never got recorded until post-Awake.  To pad the release out, they threw on some live cover tracks.  Hence, an EP.

I had never heard that before.....What an amazing release that would have made if Change of Seasons was included on the already awsome Images and Words!.....though perhaps a pre-mature release of the song would not have been as good as what turned out to be the final recording......I haven't heard any other versions...how do they compare?

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 12:50
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Have a look:

http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/Ep

It all boils down to an arbitrary decision that the artists or the record company makes. A Change Of Season contains one Studio track, Live at The Marquee none at all. The live tracks are basically official bootlegs. I can understand why Dream Theater wouldn't call these two records full albums.

I don't, I've always considered them full albums anyway But If DT decide they're not its up to them I guess! Seems strange to me to have an Ep of nearkly an hour though!
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 12:56

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I don't, I've always considered them full albums anyway But If DT decide they're not its up to them I guess! Seems strange to me to have an Ep of nearkly an hour though!

I think I'll go record one hour of noise and sell it to you as an LP

Entropia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 22:11
Originally posted by fandango fandango wrote:

Originally posted by Entropia Entropia wrote:

How many of you have heard the original version of a change of seasons??

Hi Entropia,

Getting back to your original question, I have not heard the original, although I'm led to believe that it was never really got finally completed until the EP (now lets not start..) it lay around in bits and they had several goes at revising it between SFAM and Awake.

I'm guessing that 'the original' as such was never in sufficiently coherent shape to perform, as they would have shoved it onto 'Cleaning Out The Closet' (Xmas 1999) or another Fan Club disk before now.  Let me know what you think.

I actually found a video of it being played live in 93....it's pretty good but i'm glad they changed it for the EP.

46and2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 22:52
if you think about it it is an ep, because octavarium is their "8th" studio album.  if COS was an "lp" it would be their 9th.
frenchie View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2005 at 18:35
A Change of Seasons is definetly an EP for it is only officially 25 minutes long, the other tracks are bonuses.

EG... the mars volta's debut is about 60 mins long but with the bonus track it is 67 mins long i think, but officially it will remain as 60 mins as bonus tracks dont count towards the actual content.

ACOS = EP

it is NOT an LP or studio album and DT make this very evident.
The Worthless Recluse
Valarius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2005 at 03:28

I still say "Have you heard the ALBUM A Change of Seasons?".

I don't really care, what REALLY matters is that it is an amazing piece of music.

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2005 at 04:21

Originally posted by frenchie frenchie wrote:

A Change of Seasons is definetly an EP for it is only officially 25 minutes long, the other tracks are bonuses.

EG... the mars volta's debut is about 60 mins long but with the bonus track it is 67 mins long i think, but officially it will remain as 60 mins as bonus tracks dont count towards the actual content.

ACOS = EP

it is NOT an LP or studio album and DT make this very evident.

Only officially 25 mins long! Well we disagree on that one.
All I'm gonna say is that by any sensible definition its not an EP. It just is on DT's/the record company's say so! Well I ain't buying it! (Although I bought it years ago)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12