Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGreg Lake underrated as a bass player!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 03:01
I've never really noticed Greg Lake's bass playing. It's probably the least notable part of ELP. Not saying it's bad, just not sure what's good about it since, well, I can barely hear it. 
Heaven's made a cesspool of us all.
parapet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 03:34
Originally posted by Mushroom Sword Mushroom Sword wrote:

Originally posted by parapet parapet wrote:

As a professor of modern bass guitar at music high school I have a big problem of paying attention to bass guitar in music, and progressive rock is full of great players of this instrument including glorious geddy lee, virtuous john paul jones,  paul mccartney, pastorius, squier, as well as the contemporary players like john myung, colin edwin, tony levin, trey gunn etc...

But one of the most underrated bass players by my opinion is Greg Lake, who beside his great vocal and composing skills and originality plays bass incredibly awesome. Greg's bass playing is not technically complicated, nor is it fast as it is popular nowdays, but the parts he plays are considerably complex harmonically, his tone is perfect as well, and his tempo and style deserve respect. If we then assume that he sings over those lines he plays then it's worth mentioning here. In addition, Greg is difficult to find even at bass guitar forums as well.

I'd like your opinion especially by the bass players here, or at least those who understand bass playing enough.

?Confused?

playing chapman stick is quiet contemporary staff isn't it?
SMART preachers of our doom
Telling us there is no room.
Not enough for all mankind
And the seas of time are running dry.
parapet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 03:37
Originally posted by 40footwolf 40footwolf wrote:

I've never really noticed Greg Lake's bass playing. It's probably the least notable part of ELP. Not saying it's bad, just not sure what's good about it since, well, I can barely hear it. 

and that is why i asked people who know about bass playing, and who CAN notice bass playing, to post. Lakes notes are easily heard by those who pay attention to it enough.
parapet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 03:52
MOSHKITO

When i say great bass player i don't mean only technically; aural skills and creativity as well as musicality etc. are all equally important skills for a musicians, and when i teach children to play bass guitar i teach them to try to be as innovative and creative as they can be apart of scales and intervals and techniques that are also important.

Greg Lake is not a perfect slapper or solo bass virtuoso but he has other skills as a bass players as musicality, great harmony knowledge (either came from learning or from good hearing), great timing and very strong tone, what is actually more important in music than being able to tap, slap, pop or play 1000 notes in 5 sec.

Having this in mind we can now proceed to discuss...
40footwolf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 04:03

and that is why i asked people who know about bass playing, and who CAN notice bass playing, to post. Lakes notes are easily heard by those who pay attention to it enough.

I do play bass. I do notice bass playing. Greg Lake just strikes me as unremarkable when compared to the Squires, Wettons and Butlers of the rock sphere. 
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 04:22

I do play bass. I do notice bass playing. Greg Lake just strikes me as unremarkable when compared to the Squires, Wettons and Butlers of the rock sphere. 

Clearly a contradiction.
40footwolf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 04:23
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Clearly a contradiction.

*ba-dump-bum PSHH*
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2010 at 15:19
Hi,

(Removed, as there is more below)

Edited by moshkito - December 17 2010 at 15:47
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
The Neck Romancer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2010 at 15:34
Moshkito, everyone here is discussing Lake's abilities as a bass player, not as a musician. The thread title is "Greg Lake underrated as a bass player", not "Greg Lake underrated as a musician".
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2010 at 15:41

MOSHKITO

Greg Lake is not a perfect slapper or solo bass virtuoso but he has other skills as a bass players as musicality, great harmony knowledge (either came from learning or from good hearing), great timing and very strong tone, what is actually more important in music than being able to tap, slap, pop or play 1000 notes in 5 sec.

Having this in mind we can now proceed to discuss...

I still think, that we're comparing apples to oranges ... well, to be fair, it's good juice, specially for an old foggie like me!

In general, a Levin, or Myung, for example, are much more real bass players, than otherwise ... although I would think that Levin is much more of an experimenting person, than Myung has been, who has been slightly stuck with the same music for a while, and is not really showing a development beyond the knowledge that you mention, like great listening, or music knowledge.

For me, and this is important for those days in "progressive" music, it is important to remember that many of those folks were a part of the art scene in those days that was trying to change the process and how things were done ... there was "anti-film", "anti-art", "anti-theater", anti-music" ... and when you see someone concentrate on creating something different, and illustrating some very fine writing and lyricism ... in my book, it is not about the bass playing, or guitar playing at that moment ... it's about the work itself.

Too much of the music that became "progressive" is not as illustrious, and well defined as the stuff that we generally compare it to. Most of it is highly formulaic and is missing the freedom to be creative, other than extending a solo here or there, or the singer do something exceptional. A lot of that stuff is very enjoyable ... but little will stand the test of time, as the music that "changed the world" and how we thought about it ... and that is the reason why we love it ... it was different.

Do check out that other thread on VdGG where the author of the book chips in. It talks about the use of the "chorus" ... and guess what was one of the first things that some of those folks did not use a lot of ... yeah! ... and that means a bass player, or musician, has to concentrate a lot better and harder and the compositional side of the music is not as easy ... Mike Howlett, is an interesting case with Gong ... you do know that he runs a music school in Australia, right? ... but he was knowledgeable enough that people around him could go anywhere and he always knew when to get them back ... and I think this is what makes the Gong "You" long cuts so massive ... check out Pierre Moerlin gone all over the place, but no one ever lost their place ... I'm not sure that it is just musical knowledge at that time ... it would defeat the teachings of the Karmic Zero Aellien, who does so much experimenting all around and he does go all over the place ... he just does it with different people all the time.

You're right though ... great listening or very good music knowledge ... and I think that is probably what Greg was about more than anything else.

Edited by moshkito - December 17 2010 at 15:46
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2010 at 15:43
@Starhammer: Moshkito makes a very good point for this discussion. 

Edited by harmonium.ro - December 17 2010 at 15:46
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2010 at 15:43
Oh God.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2010 at 15:56
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Not really. 

Everyone knows Lake is a quite accomplished musician; he plays guitar and bass and can sing quite well.

The point is that some people (me included) tend to think he's a standard/mediocre bassist; I don't think his technicque and skill is up there with those of other bass players from the 70's so called "classic prog" bands like John Wetton, Squire, Geddy and Rutherford. Moshkito went a bit off-topic with his comment when he stopped discussing Lake's proficiency in bass guitar and started talking about his ability as a complete musician.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2010 at 15:57

Thank you Harmonium.

I'm ok with it. It's hard for people to take a look at quotidian studies and what they mean. It's much easier (and common) to compare to ideas in one's head, than the time and place that the creator and artist came from. Sometimes it yields interesting information, but it tend to remove the work from its "soul", as I like to say.

The hard part of it all, is, instead, to superimpose this on to today ... if you and I put together a band and we created "The Endless Enigma" today, most folks here would trash it ... because there is metal and there is this and there is that ... and folks are not really "listening" to music per se ... they are listening to ideals about music ... which "progressive" would be one of.

But saying that Greg is a bass player ... is strange ... in his first two solo albums, he barely touches a bass, if I remember correctly. And even does a Bob Dylan song ... the kind of thing that we love to trash people for and say ... they ain't progressive! .... that's another story for a rainy day, though!
www.pedrosena.com
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2010 at 16:00
Totally agree with Starhammer. harmonium, stop incouraging it.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2010 at 16:05
Originally posted by Starhammer Starhammer wrote:

Not really. 

Everyone knows Lake is a quite accomplished musician; he plays guitar and bass and can sing quite well.

The point is that some people (me included) tend to think he's a standard/mediocre bassist; I don't think his technicque and skill is up there with those of other bass players from the 70's so called "classic prog" bands like John Wetton, Squire, Geddy and Rutherford. Moshkito went a bit off-topic with his comment when he stopped discussing Lake's proficiency in bass guitar and started talking about his ability as a complete musician.

No, he's providing you with an explanation. Long story told short is that extreme proficiency in bass playing was not Lake's goal and that must be kept in mind when compared to other bassists. I think that's a good point, but I don't know if he's right (I have no idea).
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2010 at 16:09

No, he's providing you with an explanation. Long story told short is that extreme proficiency in bass playing was not Lake's goal and that must be kept in mind when compared to other bassists. I think that's a good point, but I don't know if he's right (I have no idea).

Long story short Harmonium, and Snow Dog is supporting it ... ELP IS NOT PROGRESSIVE ... because the BASS player sux!

We might as well announce it so we can have all the admins in this board remove ELP from the grouping, as they are an embarassment with such horrible bass playing ... !!! Cry LOL Wink

As I mentioned before ... it's not about the music anymore ... it's about how good the bass player is!

Music is dead ... Shocked  ... well, besides the point that Snow Dog is disagreeing on principle, not because he believes it! And he's not big enough to discuss it in person and get over the senseless disagreements!

Edited by moshkito - December 17 2010 at 16:15
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2010 at 16:16
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Long story short Harmonium, and Snow Dog is supporting it ... ELP IS NOT PROGRESSIVE ... because the BASS player sux!

We might as well announce it so we can have all the admins in this board remove ELP from the grouping, as they are an embarassment with such horrible bass playing ... !!! Cry LOL Wink

As I mentioned before ... it's not about the music anymore ... it's about how good the bass player is!

Music is dead ... Shocked  ... well, besides the point that Snow Dog is disagreeing on principle, not because he believes it!

I did not say ELP is not prog, and I did not say Greg Lake is a sucky bassist. Stop with those hyperboles.

And damnit, this thread was made for discussing Lake's bass playing skill, nothing else!
The Wrinkler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2010 at 18:52
Even if it is a keyboard dominated track, Karn Evil 9 (part 2) is one of my favorite pieces to listen to Bass guitar wise! I think Greg is a great bass guitarist and I like trying to pick out his parts in ELP music.
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2010 at 19:03

This.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>