Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Beatles place in Prog History

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2005 at 11:04
I would say that The Beatles were not the main influence directly on prog itself either. But I would say that they were a huge influence on the expansion and experimentation that lead to prog. Starting at Rubber Soul. Bringing in that sitar on Norwegian Wood was pretty bold for the time.
Arsillus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2005 at 22:34

I have been known to say I don't particularly care for the Beatles, but Revolver is one that I find myself playing somewhat often. Probably the ONLY Beatles album I find myself playing somewhat often.

But for some reason, I didn't particularly care for Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.  Oh well.

Odd24 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2005 at 15:50
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

I don't think so, they were one of the influences, prog' roots especially symphonic come from way behind (A couple of centuries) to precise since the late XVII - early XVIII Centuries and Johan Sebastian Bach, there's also a lot of Jazz influence (in the way they blend styles and genres), classic Rock & Roll and even other genres as folk. The Beatles are one more.

The Beatles combined classical music with pop. They were one of the first bands which did this. Prog is also pop with classical influences.

I wonder what was actually the very first pop hitrecord with classical influences. Was it "Anyone who had a heart" by Dionne Warwick? I think that song was a revelation for the music back in 1964.

I'm not very interested in the mainstream pop from 1960-1964. I usually make fun of it , but something changed in 1965...

Right down the line
marktheshark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2005 at 01:18
Originally posted by Odd24 Odd24 wrote:

Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

I don't think so, they were one of the influences, prog' roots especially symphonic come from way behind (A couple of centuries) to precise since the late XVII - early XVIII Centuries and Johan Sebastian Bach, there's also a lot of Jazz influence (in the way they blend styles and genres), classic Rock & Roll and even other genres as folk. The Beatles are one more.

The Beatles combined classical music with pop. They were one of the first bands which did this. Prog is also pop with classical influences.

I wonder what was actually the very first pop hitrecord with classical influences. Was it "Anyone who had a heart" by Dionne Warwick? I think that song was a revelation for the music back in 1964.

I'm not very interested in the mainstream pop from 1960-1964. I usually make fun of it , but something changed in 1965...

You're almost there Odd. But I wouldn't consider prog as "pop" with classical influences. Prog is a more non-mainstream experimental genre that was spun-off of what the Beatles started. Would you really call Yes, KC and early Genesis as pop? Some of them had some pop moments most notably ELP, but overall they were not pop. Pop with classical influences would be artists like French conductor Paul Mauriat (remember Love Is Blue in '67? Actually a beautiful song, I love it), the Sandpipers, Burt Bachrach and so forth.

Edited by marktheshark
Carakhallo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2005 at 11:32

And what about Abbey Road b-side suite? That's pretty close to symphonic prog, isn't it?. And "You know my name" may also be considered prog, really a weird tune...

I think they started good pop (actually, they made the best pop ever) and also were a very important influence for the first prog bands. But they were not prog. Almost... but not (sadly...). And maybe they were also first band to play hard rock. Remember "Everybody's got something to hide except me and my monkey" and "Helter Skelter" from The White Album?. It was back in 1968, just before Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath or Deep Purple existed....

boo boo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2005 at 07:59
sgt pepper was the first concept album, it also experiemented with deverse styles, themes and instruments in ways that was never done before, revolver introduced revolutionary studio techniques such as the double tape loop system and digitaly altered vocals...abbey road features early use of synths and a mini rock suite, and the white album was prog all the way, with longer instrumenals, more epics and so on...plus they experiemented with so many styles..raga, 20s style tin pan alley music, classic theater and opera, plus stuff that is completely out there...they progressed greatly after rubber soul, so id say yes, they made a big influence on prog.
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2005 at 10:10
I saw their cartoon "Yellow Submarine" as a kid, and it evoked my interest towards psychedelia. I don't listen to them though...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12