Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 05:31
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Best (vinyl) side-long album tracks

Originally posted by rematpac rematpac wrote:

StarKarn Evil 9,Journey to the Center of the Earth,Emerson Piano Concerto No.1,Malmsteen Concerto in e-flat minor,Days of Future Passed)

Fail!

And it was never called Karn Eval 9.
I've been wracking my brain trying to recall it ever being called "Karn Eval" and I don't think that it ever was. I don't have a vinyl copy of BSS, but on Welcome Back My Friends vinyl the live version is called Karn Evil plain enough.
What?
rematpac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 05:39

StarKarn Evil 9,Journey to the Center of the Earth,Emerson Piano Concerto No.1,Malmsteen Concerto in e-flat minor,Days of Future Passed)

Fail!

No sorry but you fail.I still have the original poster in my garage in an old box that I've saved things all my life in and it contains the original poster from the album when I bought it in 1974 with the lyrics included on it for the work Karn EVAL 9.Greg Lake has a youtube sight himself called the Official Greg Lake Site.You can send him a message and ask him yourself.Even though he's 63,I'm sure he'll remember,just like I do.You can also use reverse logic to figure it out for yourself.I just found out yesterday from one of your members that the name came from the word "Carnival".So how could I possibly come up with the spelling "Karneval" without this prior knowledge?I couldn't.Think about it.CARNIVAL ,CARN-IVAL ,KARN-IVAL ,KARN-EVAL..    They later switched it to KARN-EVIL,which is a fact.Your member and I believe the spelling was changed to be less confusing to the buyer.That is the most logical reason if it was purposefully changed.Another possibilitiy of course is that the record company accidently changed the spelling while Sinfield may have never wanted it changed giving the buyer more credit to be able to figure it out.The fact is though,I never even figured it out myself having even known what the original spelling was until now.The lyrics in the 1st movement talk as if you're being toured through a carnival in the distant future.The thing is carnivals have became very evil in the future,very carnally evil, Karnally Evil,Karn Eval(Carnival).Think of the lyrics and you'll figure it out.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 05:42
^Karn Evil it always was. I maintain that until absolutely proven otherwise.

And the fail comment was about your "side long" album track selections.

Edited by Snow Dog - March 30 2011 at 05:44
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 05:45

Fail!

No sorry but you fail.I still have the original poster in my garage in an old box that I've saved things all my life in and it contains the original poster from the album when I bought it in 1974 with the lyrics included on it for the work Karn EVAL 9.Greg Lake has a youtube sight himself called the Official Greg Lake Site.You can send him a message and ask him yourself.Even though he's 63,I'm sure he'll remember,just like I do.You can also use reverse logic to figure it out for yourself.I just found out yesterday from one of your members that the name came from the word "Carnival".So how could I possibly come up with the spelling "Karneval" without this prior knowledge?I couldn't.Think about it.CARNIVAL ,CARN-IVAL ,KARN-IVAL ,KARN-EVAL..    They later switched it to KARN-EVIL,which is a fact.Your member and I believe the spelling was changed to be less confusing to the buyer.That is the most logical reason if it was purposefully changed.Another possibilitiy of course is that the record company accidently changed the spelling while Sinfield may have never wanted it changed giving the buyer more credit to be able to figure it out.The fact is though,I never even figured it out myself having even known what the original spelling was until now.The lyrics in the 1st movement talk as if you're being toured through a carnival in the distant future.The thing is carnivals have became very evil in the future,very carnally evil, Karnally Evil,Karn Eval(Carnival).Think of the lyrics and you'll figure it out.

I don't have it anymore, but I recall the BSS liner notes stating that the working title was Carnival and Lake changed it to Karn Evil so it was more rock and roll. Your poster that you totally have in your garage does not count as evidence, sorry. 
if you own a sodastream i hate you
omri View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 05:46
There not many I know left to add. all I can think of is Focus - Hamburger concerto that was not listed here yet.
However, Supper's ready do not contain a whole vinyl side (Horisons was also on that side) and I think it's the same with "All the seats were occupied but if we remind these 2 we should also add Murglys III of VDGG.
It's great to see that Popol vuh's E&S and ELP's concerto were mentioned. These tracks do not get the respect they deserve IMO most of the time.
omri
rematpac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 05:47

^By George I think he's got it!
I guess I haven't got it yet Snow Dog.I sent you a message about the original spelling of Karn Eval 9 and it looks like you didn't get it.I'm just too computer stupid.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 05:54

^By George I think he's got it!
I guess I haven't got it yet Snow Dog.I sent you a message about the original spelling of Karn Eval 9 and it looks like you didn't get it.I'm just too computer stupid.

I read it and replied to it. But you didn't "send me a message". You posted it in a a forum. This forum. this thread. We can all read it.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 05:55
^ LOL give it up Ian, it's like herding cats.
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 05:55
Originally posted by omri omri wrote:

There not many I know left to add. all I can think of is Focus - Hamburger concerto that was not listed here yet.
However, Supper's ready do not contain a whole vinyl side (Horisons was also on that side) and I think it's the same with "All the seats were occupied but if we remind these 2 we should also add Murglys III of VDGG.
It's great to see that Popol vuh's E&S and ELP's concerto were mentioned. These tracks do not get the respect they deserve IMO most of the time.

I doubt the qualification of Emerson's concerto as a "side-long album track"...but I'll let it go.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 06:20
Some of these suggestion are mighty tenouous as "side-long tracks" IMO - a side long track should be exactly what it says - a continous single piece of music occupying one side of an vinyl album.

Many suggested here are just segued shorter tracks. Based on some of these Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here, Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds and From Genesis To Revelation would also qualify as there are no gaps between the tracks on those either.

However, my suggestion - Blint's Tune from Godley & Creme's Consequences.
What?
rematpac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 06:47
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Fail!

I've been wracking my brain trying to recall it ever being called "Karn Eval" and I don't think that it ever was. I don't have a vinyl copy of BSS, but on Welcome Back My Friends vinyl the live version is called Karn Evil plain enough.
When you see the words Karn Evil,does that make you think of the word 'carnival"?It doesn't me.But when you see how they originally spelled it "Karn Eval",it makes you wonder why they misspelled the word "evil".I finally figured out the reason after it had been right in my face all these decades.Actually I didn't figure it out by myself,one of your members told me yesterday that what Sinfield had meant was" Carnival 9".We can pretty much guess that the number 9 came from "Revolution 9" from The Beatle's White Album,and as for the words K-A-R-N-E-V-A-L,that came from the word C-A-R-N-I-V-A-L,and that's exactly what the lyrics in the 1st movement talk all about,"Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends...",a carnival in the distant future when people have become so decadent that the show is comprised of some very carnally evil spectacles.Just listen to the lyrics.I had both the record and cassette and the work was spelled "Karn Eval 9" on both and yes I could not figure out why they mispelled evil until I was informed the words came from"carnival".It has since officially been changed to "Karn Evil 9",I realize,but when it was 1st out it was DEFINITELY spelled "Karn Eval 9" and if you think about it ,it was a very logical thing to do.But probably like me,not many people understood the double message(which should have been obvious),so they changed it for good.If you don't believe me,put the question up for ALL your ELP fan's,I am plenty confident that someone else will remember or figure it out themselves.Or better yet,you can ask Greg Lake yourself by sending him a message to his youtube site.
rematpac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 06:54

If truth is not your thing than that's your business,but I think it unfair to call my 10 selections a 'fail',because there was 10 more that I wanted to put up as well but couldn't or didn't.But out of the 10 I did put up,which ones would you call  musical failures??
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 06:58

Fail!

When you see the words Karn Evil,does that make you think of the word 'carnival"?It doesn't me.But when you see how they originally spelled it "Karn Eval",it makes you wonder why they misspelled the word "evil".I finally figured out the reason after it had been right in my face all these decades.Actually I didn't figure it out by myself,one of your members told me yesterday that what Sinfield had meant was" Carnival 9".We can pretty much guess that the number 9 came from "Revolution 9" from The Beatle's White Album,and as for the words K-A-R-N-E-V-A-L,that came from the word C-A-R-N-I-V-A-L,and that's exactly what the lyrics in the 1st movement talk all about,"Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends...",a carnival in the distant future when people have become so decadent that the show is comprised of some very carnally evil spectacles.Just listen to the lyrics.I had both the record and cassette and the work was spelled "Karn Eval 9" on both and yes I could not figure out why they mispelled evil until I was informed the words came from"carnival".It has since officially been changed to "Karn Evil 9",I realize,but when it was 1st out it was DEFINITELY spelled "Karn Eval 9" and if you think about it ,it was a very logical thing to do.But probably like me,not many people understood the double message(which should have been obvious),so they changed it for good.If you don't believe me,put the question up for ALL your ELP fan's,I am plenty confident that someone else will remember or figure it out themselves.Or better yet,you can ask Greg Lake yourself by sending him a message to his youtube site.
You've said all this already and simply repeating it does not make any more valid. Just because it sounds logical in your head doesn't make it truth. It doesn't take much thought to work out the "pun" in Karn Evil - I managed to work that one out in 1973 along with everyone else (except you apparently). It was never released as "Karn Eval" so what it was called before release is anelephant - Echoes was called Looking Through the Knothole in Granny's Wooden Leg but it was released as Echoes so it is called Echoes and it is known as Echoes.
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 06:58

If truth is not your thing than that's your business,but I think it unfair to call my 10 selections a 'fail',because there was 10 more that I wanted to put up as well but couldn't or didn't.But out of the 10 I did put up,which ones would you call  musical failures??

Not musical failures. Failures as in "side-long tracks". Lets take Karn Evil 9 ( which incidently has always been spelled that way) it is not...I repeat..not...a side-long album track.
rematpac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 06:59
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Fail!

I don't have it anymore, but I recall the BSS liner notes stating that the working title was Carnival and Lake changed it to Karn Evil so it was more rock and roll. Your poster that you totally have in your garage does not count as evidence, sorry. 
Well it is real easy to send a youtube message so why don't you ask him why they originally titled it Karn Eval 9?!
rematpac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 07:09

Fail!

It was changed and that is a historical prog fact that you can easily verify if you want to simply by asking Lake why they first spelled it KARN EVAL 9.It's also obvious:CARNIVAL-KARNEVAL.
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 07:10

Well it is real easy to send a youtube message so why don't you ask him why they originally titled it Karn Eval 9?!

Greg Lake is not going to answer questions on his youtube page!

I'm going to kill myself. 
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 07:15
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Greg Lake is not going to answer questions on his youtube page!

I'm going to kill myself. 

LOL
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 07:17

Fail!

It was changed and that is a historical prog fact that you can easily verify if you want to simply by asking Lake why they first spelled it KARN EVAL 9.It's also obvious:CARNIVAL-KARNEVAL.

Carnival = Karn Evil is also obvious. Karn Eval however makes no sense.
Paravion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 07:20
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Ricochet part 2
Ricochet Part1
LOL

Supper's Ready isn't long enough

I assumed that Suppers Ready took up a whole side at 22 minutes?

One on my list that shouldn't be there is Aphrodites Child 'All The Seats Were Occupied' because there was another song called 'Break' on the same side. But someone earlier posted it on their list so I just went along with it!
Actually, 'horizons' opens side 2. So Supper's Ready doesn't belong in the prestigious category of "side-long epics" even though it's longer than most of them..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>