Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
20 [30.30%]
46 [69.70%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2011 at 20:27
Tales is a masterpiece, so technically shouldn't be here, but I couldn't help to vote for it anyway just to get my point across. Tongue
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2011 at 23:53
Tales for sure.

Focus 3 aint bad though.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2011 at 03:06
Originally posted by Hans il mercante Hans il mercante wrote:

Even tough if I have to pick a 1973 album, my vote will be for Selling England by the pound, I know it's not on one of the two, but for me us a better album in so many ways.

In that case, I vote for donuts. They are much tastier.
antonyus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2011 at 08:15
yesssss
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2011 at 13:14
I need to hear more Focus it seems.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2011 at 14:20
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

It is 1973. Two major representants of the Symphonic Prog subgenre have released double albums that cannot really compete with their predecessors or their successors, as is reflected in their weighted PA ratings....

I don't give average ratings much weight.  For my tastes, Focus 3 is Focus best album (not that I'm much into Focus anymore).  The ratings are just a  popularity guide -- often tell one which is the most readily accessible for most.  I didn't immediately appreciate Focus 3 as much as Moving Waves or Hamburger Concerto, but I grew to like it more than the others.

A non-symph example, since I'm not that into symph anymore, of a 1973 album that rates considerably lower than the preceding and subsequent album by the band that I think much better than the average ratings would lead me to believe, if I put faith in them, is Neu! 2. I like it much more than Neu! subsequent album -- not that I hear people calling Neu! '75 a masterpiece, so not a greatly relevant example for the topic so excuse the digression.

Anyway, I will vote for Focus 3.  Even when I was pretty big on Yes (at least some Yes) I wasn't big on Tales.  Actually, I never much cared for Close to the Edge either.  Guess the only Yes album I ever really loved was Fragile; whereas I used to like pretty much all of Focus' albums.

Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2011 at 15:23
Yes dominates Focus, but they obviously aren't bad.
claugroi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2011 at 17:45
Symphonic Prog Master
The-time-is-now View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 02:39
Tales. Incredible music.

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 02:52
Two great albums, but I like the one from Yes a bit more.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 14:40
I give my own vote to Focus: TfTO has some good moments like a few tiny diamonds hidden in a large lump of clay, but in an overall impression Focus 3 is imho the best of these two (it's 3- against 2.5 stars).
knecht56 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 18:20
Tales from Topographic Oceans.  It's a flawed masterpiece--not as great as its predecessor, Close to the Edge, but then Close to the Edge is one of the greatest albums of all time, IMHO.  Tales is still great.

Focus 3 is also great, and is, all things considered, superior to Moving Waves, also IMHO.  But Focus, great as they were, can't compare to Yes at their greatest--and their greatest extended from the Yes Album all the way through Drama. 

Ying Yang
patday34 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2011 at 21:09
Tales
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 14:56
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

FOCUS for me. I listened(or started to listen) to Tales the other day.I couldn't get passed the first song.Now i have listened to that double album many times just so you know and i thought maybe a fresh listen after so many years would cause me to suddenly get that album, but if The Revealing Science Of God is supposed to be one of the best tracks of the four well i give up then.LOL "To each his own" as they say.I quite like the FOCUS album though.

well said my friend!

I still listen to Tales every once in a while....but don't really enjoy it when I do

The Focus album is pretty awesome
Prog On!
LusoProgger View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2011 at 15:33
Tales have some flaws so... my vote goes to Focus!!!Smile beside these 2 albums i would pick Selling England By The Pound or Darkside Of The Moon.
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2011 at 23:16
Originally posted by Barah86 Barah86 wrote:

Dark Side of the Moon is all i have to say...
I was going to say ELP, Brain Salad Surgery...
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2011 at 23:17
...But neither DSOTM nor BSS is symphonic prog (oh well...)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2011 at 09:30
^ More importantly, to my thinking, Dark Side of the Moon is rated higher at PA than the preceding album (Obscured by Clouds) andDSotM has a masterpiece rating at this site. In the original post it was pointed out that not only are both poll choices symphonic, but both albums can't really compete with their predecessor and successor in terms of the weighted ratings.  And if one wanted to mention another similar case that is more relevant, it's also noted that both of the choices are double albums as well, so...

Brain Salad Surgery would be an odd choice.  It already has  a very high rating at PA, is considered by many to be ELP's masterpiece, but how many would consider Works Vol I to be a masterpiece? (let alone better than BSS).  The ratings at PA are much better for BSS than  Works..... Don't know if you were being sarcastic, or not in response to Barah.

Edited by Logan - September 23 2011 at 09:33
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2011 at 09:34
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ More importantly, to my thinking, Dark Side of the Moon is rated higher at PA than the subsequent album and has a masterpiece rating at this site. In the original post it was pointed out that not only are both poll choices symphonic, but both albums can't really compete with their predecessor and successor in terms of the weighted ratings.  And if one wanted to mention another similar case that is more relevant, it's also noted that both of the choices are double albums as well, so...

Brain Salad Surgery would be an odd choice.  It already has  a very high rating at PA, is considered by many to be ELP's masterpiece, but how many would consider Works Vol I to be a masterpiece? (let alone better than BSS).  The ratings at PA are much better for BSS than  Works..... Don't know if you were being sarcastic, or not in response to Barah.

I don't think I'll never write a review of it, but I really LOVE Works Vol.1, or better sides A and D. My fav ELP albums are the debut and Trilogy. BSS has some weak moments that those two don't have at all, IMO.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2011 at 09:58
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ More importantly, to my thinking, Dark Side of the Moon is rated higher at PA than the preceding album (Obscured by Clouds) andDSotM has a masterpiece rating at this site. In the original post it was pointed out that not only are both poll choices symphonic, but both albums can't really compete with their predecessor and successor in terms of the weighted ratings.  And if one wanted to mention another similar case that is more relevant, it's also noted that both of the choices are double albums as well, so...

I don't think I'll never write a review of it, but I really LOVE Works Vol.1, or better sides A and D. My fav ELP albums are the debut and Trilogy. BSS has some weak moments that those two don't have at all, IMO.

Note: You caught an initial error of mine, which I corrected just before you posted, so I fixed my quote to the updated version.

I used to really like ELP,  and my faves were the debut and Trilogy too.  I didn't like BSS, or Tarkus for that matter, that much.  I've only heard bits and pieces of Works Vol. I, but did like what I heard.

Just to mention Pink Floyd's pre- DSoTM album which is rated considerably lower than Dark Side, I prefer Obscured to Clouds to Dark Side of the Moon.  I commonly find the average/ weighted ratings at PA to not reflect my tastes very well. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>