Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFavorite Rush Era

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2012 at 16:14
Caress of Steel to Presto.

Fav Hemispheres to Moving Pictures.  

I'm not helping am I??
ProgKev View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2012 at 17:48
Well my favourite era is from Hemispheres up to Grace. Than I absolutely Adore last two albums with slightly more metal approach.Synth period has also few great obscure gems. Presto, RtB , T4E and Counterparts they all kick ass with their rock attitude. , I start to realize the fact that each period is unique. They are really progressive because they were changing their style constantly. Well, not by chance they are my favourite band..
ProgressiveMike View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2012 at 10:33
True story man, Vapor Trails is my least favorite Rush album. Having said that, Rush is my favorite band, and Vapor Trails is still much better than say, the best Mastadon album. Lol, I'm glad though to see so many Rush fans appreciating different aspects of their career. Presto is my favorite album as I write this, and Power Windows/Vapor Trails are tied at the moment for my least favorite Rush albums (this changes about 3 times a month). My favorite Rush is Different Stages (I know it probably doesn't really count) but it's the best in my opinion because it covers amterial from the "Classic" period of Rush (from Fly By Night to Test for Echo( Rush being the sole album from their "early" period and Vapor Trails to Clockwork Angels being their "Post Hiaus" period)). I also disagree with the way the thread starter divided the Rush eras, but If I had to choose on of his I would certainly pick the one that spans 2112 to Hemispheres. Too easy. Farewell to Kings is my favorite of that era, and most often my favorite Rush album of all time lol.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2012 at 10:40

Also I feel it is obligatory to mention that Power Windows and Vapopr Trails currently get the least time in my CD player and that I am tto pleased that Rush has decided with Clockwork Angels and to a lesser extent Snakes and Arrows to really go back to their conceptual prog. I've missed it dearly, not to say that the poppier synth driven and hard rock cuts are bad (because Rush is incapable of writing bad material, as evidenced by their complete lack of non album b-sides or studio outtakesWink.)

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2012 at 11:07
Early 80's for me. Every aspect was at a peak and was applied with flawless consistency. No doubt in My mind!
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
ProgKev View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2012 at 07:34
Progressive Mike - Yeah , funny but for me Different Stages is also my favourite live album. Contains so many overlooked songs, like T4E, Resist , Nobody's Hero ,Show Don't Tell , performance of 2112 in it's entirety, a bunch of classics. And undeniably best vocal shape of Geddy in Rush history. Eargasm !

And Vapor Trails is truly wonderful album, with so many emotional lyrics written by Peart.. He dealt with his tragedy in a wonderful way. But what ruined that longplay in the eyes of the fans is production. Propably worst ever. Apart from Norwegian Black Metal from 90`s such as Darkthrone, I've never heard album that sounds worse.  Anyway, " Ghost Rider " and " Earthshine " are propably two most emotional songs ever written by that band. For those who want to give a try to that album I strongly recomend " Bubba Skarda Remix - Vapor trails less Vapor " , it improves the sound a lot !
My Last.FM, Feel free to invite me !    : www.last.fm/user/darkfuneral18
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2012 at 10:54
Ya lol I really have to give Vapor Trails a few more spins before I can truly judge it. I always find that my favorite Rush album is the one that gets the most time in my cd player. I'm thinking I'll have a Power Windows/Vapor Trails-athon this week. Probobably watch A Show Of Hands and Rush In Rio to really give those albums the edge. I didn't appreciate Hold Your Fire, for instance, until the first time I heard A Show Of Hands. When you hear, or better yet see the tracks live, it goes a long way.
ProgKev View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2012 at 11:34
Hah Mike , Hold Your Fire contains my favourite Live Rush song ever, and it is " Force Ten " . Badass bass by Geddy..  Actually that longplay is too soft and poppy, but it has some outstanding lyrics ( " We pay a great price for our vision of paradise.. ) and moments . ( Lock And Key - One of the most overlooked songs ever ) . And well, Power Windows is indeed a great album but has some lower points such as "Emotion Detector" and " Middletown Dreams", they are not bad, but they could have been better . But I think it's a matter of time to get use to SynthSound that Rush presented on that era. Sometimes it sounds like New Romantic songs, but well, it was Geddy main inspiration I assume haha :)

I had a great time with Rush In Rio week ago, what a show it was ! Check the behaviour of the Brazilian fans during 2112. They are maniacal fanatics ! One of their best sets ever.  Gorgeous performance of " The Pass " , " Natural Science " " Red Sector A "  ...
elbownut View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2012 at 15:05
Rush are one of my favourite bands, ever since I first saw them live way back in 1977 at the Hammersmith Odeon in London.

Kinda grown up with them through their different stages Wink

I guess the period from around '76 thru to '87 stands out with some of my fave Rush albums including 2112, AFTK, PeW and MP.

In terms of actual song writing, I do like the 80s from MP to HYF. I know this was the synth era, but their were some really good catchy songs during this period IMO.

However, there are always enough good songs on each release , none more so than the latest one CA

"Music was my first love and it will be my last" - John Miles "Music"
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2012 at 09:34
I agree Clockwork Angels is amazing and has extraordinary playability. I usually listen to music.by.inserting a cd and pressing play, but certain albums stand out as excellent rides. For instance Selling England By The Pound
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2012 at 12:43
the recent rush tour must have been a god-send for you 80s fans.  i enjoyed hearing all the power windows stuff.  playing most of clockwork angels with the strings was a real buzz kill for me though.  time machine tour was just amazing.

alas, my favorite era is Farewell to Kings through Moving Pictures.  that being said, i like every album because geddy lee, neil, and alex are on them!!
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
ProgKev View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2012 at 12:53
Well, of course that I like 80`s era, but as a person that live in Europe, I've never had a chance to catch Rush live because they are not touring that part of the world too often. And since I am going to see Rush in July 2013 I had hoped  that they would play more 'evergreens ' . Because you know, it's great to hear rare gems such as " Middletown Dreams " , " Territories " , " Body Electric " , " Where's My Thing ' , " The Analog Kid "  Grand Designs " , " Bravado " or " Manhattan Project " for people who already have seen Rush for quite few times.  But to be honest, I would prefer to hear more classics like  " Xanadu " , " Limelight " , "Red Barchetta " , " A Passage To Bangkok " " Closer To The Heart " "Freewill " , " Natural Science " " Circumstances " etc for my first show. But anyway, I hope that my first meeting with boys will be great. And I cross my fingers for R40 Tour including brilliant setlist !
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2012 at 13:52
Hmm, I always considered 2112 to Moving Pictures to be one era - like it was their proggy era.  And that's always been my favorite section of their catalog.
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2012 at 14:52
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

Hmm, I always considered 2112 to Moving Pictures to be one era - like it was their proggy era.  And that's always been my favorite section of their catalog.

You could include Caress of Steel in the "proggy" era as well, since it was their first full-blown progressive rock album.

Just for fun, here's how I would divide them if I was going to be really picky:

Rush - FBN:  Hard rock era/"Finding their way"
Caress - 2112:  Hard rock/metal + prog
AFTK - Hemispheres:  Full-blown progressive rock
PW - MP:  More song-based, accessible prog; a refinement of the previous era
Signals - p/g:  semi-progressive rock, less aggressive and more textured
PW - HYF:  More keyboard driven, thoughtful prog related arena rock
Presto - RYB:  Pop rock with mature songwriting, rhythm and groove
Counterparts - T4E:  Alternative rock
VT - Snakes:  Complex, layered song-based progressive hard rock
CA:  Straight-ahead hard rock with progressive touches
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2012 at 15:29
Vapor Trails is lacking progressiveness just as much as any album after it. 
Rush, since 2002, have been in the same vein as bands like Muse.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2012 at 18:37

Ambient- I love your shorthand for Grace Under Pressure lol p/g is awesome

zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2012 at 17:20
Originally posted by ProgKev ProgKev wrote:

Well, of course that I like 80`s era, but as a person that live in Europe, I've never had a chance to catch Rush live because they are not touring that part of the world too often. And since I am going to see Rush in July 2013 I had hoped  that they would play more 'evergreens ' . Because you know, it's great to hear rare gems such as " Middletown Dreams " , " Territories " , " Body Electric " , " Where's My Thing ' , " The Analog Kid "  Grand Designs " , " Bravado " or " Manhattan Project " for people who already have seen Rush for quite few times.  But to be honest, I would prefer to hear more classics like  " Xanadu " , " Limelight " , "Red Barchetta " , " A Passage To Bangkok " " Closer To The Heart " "Freewill " , " Natural Science " " Circumstances " etc for my first show. But anyway, I hope that my first meeting with boys will be great. And I cross my fingers for R40 Tour including brilliant setlist !

no argument there.  i'd love to hear those tunes as well.  add in entre nous and it'd be utterly amazing.  i did enjoy seeing where's my thing.  love that instrumental next to yyz.  r40 would be fun.  maybe some medley of old tunes like last time. 
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2012 at 17:22
Follow up post to when I talked poorly of Vapor Trails. I spun it today in the store and really enjoyed it. Now, I spun it after having to listen to Astronautilis and Tool, and next to that I might even think that Carly Rae Jepsen's Kiss was a masterpiece. But I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to never having Vapor Trails listed as my least favorite Rush album again. Rush is somewhat infaliable to me though lol.
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2012 at 20:59
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Vapor Trails is lacking progressiveness just as much as any album after it. 
Rush, since 2002, have been in the same vein as bands like Muse.

I've always thought of VT as a full-blown prog album;  sure, it's not "progressive" on a grand epic scale like Hemispheres, but it's easily Rush's most complex album ever, complete with layers upon layers of instruments and vocals and tricky time changes you don't even know are there until you actually try to count them.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2012 at 21:04
Favorite Rush album?  Hemispheres.

Second favorite Rush album?  Vapor Trails.

Take that for what you will.  Stern Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>