Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow do you picture the PA charts changing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2012 at 18:40
Originally posted by Gallifrey Gallifrey wrote:

But in terms of a longer period (40-50 years), you'd see the 70's albums dropping. Because no one was around then, and it wouldn't have such a strong impact. I personally would take any modern album over any 70's album, and I honestly think it's just because I wasn't there. The top 100 will become less biased toward older music and more of a well-rounded look at the genre.

I think that overall this is probably correct, but I don't think that most of the top, say, 10-20 will change very much even in 50  to 100 years because those albums will remain largely considered as timeless classics that are the very best of their respective genres. I don't expect Selling England By The Pound and Close to the Edge to fall out of the top 10 anytime soon.

There are a couple exceptions, of course, and it would only make sense that as time goes by new progheads who grow up listening to newer forms of music and find different gateways into progdom will rate those albums that really grabbed them first as 5-star classics.

Although, that said, I grew up in the 80's and 90's and I got into prog through classic rock radio and working backwards from the 80's and 90's output of classic 70's prog bands, so maybe I'm completely off and those classic prog albums will always appeal to those willing to listen? LOL

Edited by FunkyM - December 13 2012 at 18:42
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2012 at 18:45
Originally posted by Sumdeus Sumdeus wrote:

my hope is less neo-prog and 'prog metal' and more classics.
I think it's gonna turn out the other way around (whether I like it or not).
Sumdeus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2012 at 18:48
Ultimately i think so too, but a man can hope, yes? I also wouldn't mind if people started putting out better neo-prog or if there was more prog metal that was truly good metal that's progressive and less of the silly cliche sh*t.
Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys
altaeria View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2012 at 08:17

Originally posted by altaeria altaeria wrote:

Based on the fact that younger generations are shifting away from listening to albums in general,
I can only assume that this will hinder the potential for a substantial influx of new ratings/reviews...
especially an influx that would be significant enough to knock out a majority of the existing top rankings.

Will there simply be enough dedicated "Prog" fans attentively listening to entire albums in the year 2025 ? 

Will the basic concept of a long-form "album" be antiquated to a completely post-iTune, post-Streaming generation?  

I'm saddened by how little hope you have for the youth! There's still a lot of us who can value real art. Not everyone has been brainwashed into thinking that whatever instant-gratification product that's being handed to us on a shiny platter is all there is.

This is not a question of youth appreciating art.

This is a question of whether or not tangible "albums" will be produced after this decade.

If all computers begin to install their operating systems and all their software via network,
then physical discs will quickly become obsolete.

When physical discs become obsolete,
then future musicians will most likely think of recorded music as individual files to stream/download only.

In that case, there will be no "albums" to review here-- just individual pieces of music.

So maybe ProgArchives could eventually shift to a song-based review system.

Actually, it would've been interesting if it was always designed that way.
Then, album ratings could've been calculated by some formula based on song ratings and time lapse.

for example:

EMERSON LAKE & PALMER - TARKUS

Tarkus (20:40) ****
Jeremy Bender (1:41) *
Bitches Crystal (3:54) ****
The Only Way (3:50) ***
Infinite Space (3:18) **
A Time and a Place (3:00) **
Are You Ready Eddy (2:09) *

ALBUM SCORE : approximately three-and-a-half stars

Geek

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2012 at 09:34

This is not a question of youth appreciating art. This is a question of whether or not tangible "albums" will be produced after this decade.
No idea where you got that conclusion. According to the topic of the thread, it sounds like a question of both ... and maybe more.

When physical discs become obsolete, then future musicians will most likely think of recorded music as individual files to stream/download only. In that case, there will be no "albums" to review here-- just individual pieces of music. So maybe ProgArchives could eventually shift to a song-based review system.
How can you tell? Geek

Actually, it would've been interesting if it was always designed that way. Then, album ratings could've been calculated by some formula based on song ratings and time lapse. For example: 

EMERSON LAKE & PALMER - TARKUS 

Tarkus (20:40) **** 
Jeremy Bender (1:41) *
Bitches Crystal (3:54) ****
The Only Way (3:50) *** 
Infinite Space (3:18) **
A Time and a Place (3:00) **
Are You Ready Eddy (2:09) * 

ALBUM SCORE : approximately three-and-a-half stars.
That may be very much possible. After all, history is pop-culture. The pop-culture will come up with some dubious method of measuring quality (or whatever it is that the software is designed to calculate based on the users' ratings or whatever).

Edited by Dayvenkirq - December 14 2012 at 09:36
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2012 at 10:01

This is not a question of youth appreciating art.

This is a question of whether or not tangible "albums" will be produced after this decade.

If all computers begin to install their operating systems and all their software via network,
then physical discs will quickly become obsolete.

When physical discs become obsolete,
then future musicians will most likely think of recorded music as individual files to stream/download only.

In that case, there will be no "albums" to review here-- just individual pieces of music.
You have made a valid point for music in general, I would say that much current mainstream music already works in this way.
However in case of prog it's different because somehow the whole is frequently expected to be more than the sum of its parts. This is obvious for concept albums but even for non-concepts the way the music flows through the album, the transitions between the individual songs, the change in moods and dynamics etc is very important. Prog albums change their character if you change the order of the songs and I doubt that we proggers use much the "random play" function in our CD players.

The question also depends on whether CD will stay for long as the standard music release medium. LP and CD lenght capacity have partly determined the current standard of album lenght. If a new storage medium say SD cards would take over that could change things.

However I have the gut feeling that there is something natural about the (more or less) standard for album lenght, from classical music concerts to live pop-rock concerts they share more or less similar lenghts, something below 30 minutes feels short (except for individual songs of course) and something longer than 2 hours feels long. I guess that the sweet spot in between will remain.  
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2012 at 11:00
I've been on a type of musicological journey lately, a type of foray into the world of recorded music before 1960. All the way back to the old dusty 1920's recordings of Blind Willie Johnson and the Anthology of American Folk Music collections (Who's that writin'? John the Revelatah!). 

I think that technology has allowed music to come full circle. Recorded music began as a crinkly 'singles' affair. You'd have some guys with a can and studio equipment bring in Charley Patton or Blind Willie Johnson or who knows how the Carter Family came about to recording all those hundreds of classic country and gospel (as much as I love it). For nearly half a century music was almost entirely a 'singles' type affair. A song like Tom Joad by Woody Guthrie (recorded as early as the 1930's I believe), which would have clocked in at just over six minutes, took up both sides of a single record. In 1940 they compiled this and other depressing folk tunes in 'Dust Bowl Ballads'. 

Now I don't know much about how the future of music will become. I think it has become too easy to make music and too easy to electronically manipulate it. People seem to be too busy being 'just good enough' and releasing it hoping their Facebook buddies will 'like' it and give them some vacuous, plastic sense of accomplishment. I think Dean has written a good deal of eloquent, informative material on that subject and I mostly agree.

But I do think modern technology propels the opportunity for musical creativity into overwhelming degrees. We are seemingly regressing into a state of 'singles' again. But now there is decision - Bands and artists are no longer limited by technology in how long their songs can be. Flaming Lips can record a 24 hour song if they wish it an easily release it for mass consumption. 

Will a 13 hour composition be as popular as a 5 minute composition (which seems to be today's standard for average song length)? Never. When in the past 100 years would a 13 hour composition ever have sold better than a 5 minute composition in near any regard? When the double album came out it was an attack against the recording format. One 40 minute LP just ain't enough room! I gotta have double! And then triple albums came out. That was the reasonable means of conquering the limitation. Now when CDs came out soon after they even had 2 hour long (or longer) double CDs which would've roughly equated to quadruple albums back in 1968.

We're in a time where a recorded musical composition can be in excess of years. I could take all my song mp3s and, using a program such as Audacity, connect them together into one massive 3 year long song file. So where do I think the PA charts will go and, by extension, where recording habits will go? I can't say. It'd be pure bullsh*t pontificating and hypothesizing. It depends on if music will become less utilitarian and more of a background mush. Almost everyone I talk to speaks of music as 'something to listen to while I'm washing dishes'. There's nothing inherently wrong with that.

As for whoever spoke about 'taking any modern album over a 1970s album because I wasn't there'. Well, everyone's different. My mom listens to modern rap and hip hop (she really digs Trey Songz). She was 'there' in the 1970s. My dad listens to Kid Rock and Metallica. He was 'there'. He grew up in the 1960s and 1970s. Me, on the other hand. I'm 22 at the time of this nonsense writing. I'm currently addicted to Woody Guthrie's Dust Bowl Ballads (1940 - folk), Ella Fitzgerald's Cole Porter Songbook (1956 - vocal jazz/pop), John Coltrane's Giant Steps (1960 - Jazz) Waylon Jennings' Honky Tonk Heroes (1973 - country), Elvis Costello's Imperial Bedroom (1982 - baroque rock), Ween's GodWeenSatan: The Oneness (1990 - experimental rock), and Antony and the Johnson's I Am a Bird Now (2005 - baroque pop). I like recorded music all the way from 1927 to 2011. That doesn't take my (relatively new) fondness for select classical compositions into consideration. 

I don't completely agree with the idea that time will weed out the inferior music and leave the best. Time will weed out the least popular music and leave the most universally popular. The music that keeps the strongest staying power with the most people over the longest period of time will remain, I guess - unless practically all music will be saved digitally. Best is a vague concept in the first place.

Hey! Where will the PA charts go? I got no clue! I'm no expert on any thing on this planet and my existence is pretty damn meaningless. Nothing I've got to say has classy weight to it. I think the PA charts will be skewed more toward modern music as things go by. Chilton embodied the idea of it - Tell your old man get off my back. Tell him what we said 'bout Paint it Black. And Paint it Black was released only about six years before that! 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2012 at 12:32
Originally posted by paganinio paganinio wrote:

How do you think the PA charts will change in the future? Two years? Five years?

I think as more people join the site and rate more albums, Wish You Were Here would enter the top 3, and sadly Thick as a Brick would drop. In general, pastoral music will become lower in rankings. Dark/heavy music will rise. Images and Words will no longer be top 2 of progressive metal, since it's not dark or heavy enough. Opeth's Ghost Reveries and Dream Theater's post-2000 works are the rising stars.

I would like to see the charts only mention a band ONCE ... so that it is more representative of their work ... not just one album, or one song!

It would still have "favorites" but it would help list 100 artists, not 100 albums, by 40 artists, and it would make it wayyyyyy more representative of what "progressive music" really is all about!

We have to take the fame, and fan favoritism out just a bit ... so that the number of bands and quality of the music is better remembered.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2012 at 12:49
^ Agreed, Pedro. Thumbs Up

Edited by Dayvenkirq - December 14 2012 at 12:49
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2012 at 13:19
Some time ago I suggested to have for each band the average rating of their total output, with this you could easily have your "Top 100 bands".
With many bands having gone through severe ups and downs I think that the album rating is very helpful but having on top an additional overall band rating would indeed be nice and could help in discussions such as "the greatest prog bands ever", "most influential bands" etc.
As usual with any suggestions that require software modification it didn't get far Unhappy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2012 at 13:27
^ Shouldn't we at this point be a little more careful with the ideas of "rating", now that we had an extensive discussion of this a couple of weeks ago (even if it was rating just the albums)?
The Neck Romancer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2012 at 13:35

my hope is less neo-prog and 'prog metal' and more classics.

I kinda agree with you on hoping there's less derivative neo-prog and prog metal albums that sound too much like Dream Theater, but wait: you want more "classics"? Confused 

I am 18 and worship the music of the 60's and 70's. I can't think of anything that past 1980 that can compare to the classics for me.

I sure can. Chance is you're listening to albums expecting another Close to the Edge or another ITCOTCK.

Bad news: that ain't happening.

Worst case scenario is that new albums do nothing for you. 

That'd be too bad. Being stuck to the past, listening to the same records over and over until the only pleasure you obtain from doing so is the nostalgia factor sounds depressing.

on the other hand, i hope with my generation the ideas and ideals of the 60's/70's could have a renaissance of sorts and that we have more genuine and innovative music. i find that modern stuff tends to be missing a lot of spirit and passion and I would love to see that return

How exactly would a 60's/70's comeback result in "innovative" music?
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2012 at 13:36
GREAT MUSIC WILL STAND THE TEST OF TIME!!!

As long as I am alive on this planet A classic prog album like SELLING ENGLAND BY THE POUND will always be circulating in the progressive music world and will always be revered.

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2012 at 13:41
I also think that in the next 15 to 20 years that DREAM THEATER's albums IMAGES AND WORDS and SCENES OF A MEMORY will crack the top 10 on this site. A bold claim? I don't think so. The albums are gonna climb the polls.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2012 at 13:47
^ A bold claim.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2012 at 12:21
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Some time ago I suggested to have for each band the average rating of their total output, with this you could easily have your "Top 100 bands".
With many bands having gone through severe ups and downs I think that the album rating is very helpful but having on top an additional overall band rating would indeed be nice and could help in discussions such as "the greatest prog bands ever", "most influential bands" etc.

I al;ways thought that showing 100 bands in the top list, would already be a very good indication of the topic itself, and way more interesting in its vastness, than simply having 40 bands and various of their albums ... I have no issues with us creating a value system for the albums so when the band is listed, it is an average of their output ... in order to help locate the band.

Since we all like this album and dislike the other, in many bands, this will even out rather well in the end.

The only concern I see is a system where a band like Genesis lists 15 albums in "progressive" and another band lists 2 albums ... and the average in Genesis is lower because of some albums that we do not care about ... but in the end, that would be a FAIR rating for the total output for that band, and a new band, would have a chance to be ranked better.

All in all, the top of the pop thing needs to die ... it's now 50 years old, and everyone knows and does not believe in it, but they still go to see the top ten movie and buy the bruhahawitch album! And in the closet, they listen to Gentle Giant because the wife hates it! (hehehe!)

But it would give some leverage to the really odd, and far out bands, that many metal'ists and "hate-prog" listeners will not listen to at all! But it would also help bring up a bit, bands like Queensryche and others that have done decent work, and deserve some credit, though they are not "major bands", but still very good and well deserving of being mentioned for the effort, and other bands that do the same thing.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2012 at 12:32
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

I also think that in the next 15 to 20 years that DREAM THEATER's albums IMAGES AND WORDS and SCENES OF A MEMORY will crack the top 10 on this site. A bold claim? I don't think so. The albums are gonna climb the polls.

I think that DT has had their good days, and they are now done. It's sad, because they deserve a lot better than what they are getting and the dedication to making good music has always been there, even if not to everyone's tastes, but then ... that is the same for all of us, isn't it?

I actually think that the album with an orchestra is far better than some of this earlier stuff ... because, yo unot only have to be talented, you have to be musically aware, and on top of it the whole time, and that is something that more than half the musicians that we list in our board, are not capable of doing ... and the main reason why they do "songs", or 4 minute cuts that we call ... "prog" or something else.

If that guitarist was playing a violin, we would freak and say he is insane ... instead some of us don't like it, because it is all metal ... but if you get off that idea, and look at the whole thing from an orchestral perspective, all of a sudden you have ... something rather strong and talented ... that would make a few violin crazies over the century look cheap and poor.

You know what? ... I would like to turn this guitarist loose with Klaus Schulze ... and instead of calling it "In Blue" (done with Manuel Gottsching) I would call it ... "In Purple"! ... so you can see a guitar player get loose and then some! I, personally, feel, that what he is doing with DT is at an end, and they do not have the ability to improve their composing ability. The keyboard player is lazy, and more interested in goof'ing off, you have an excellent note player with the bass, but he can't compose, you have a singer that goes out and does 2 minute Stooges and Ramone like songs, you had a drummer that was all show and very little go that needed to have a snare drum broken over his head until he grew up, ..... in other words ... they needed to get out of the school area ... and go try different things ... unffortunately, I think the band will be over after that ... since these folks are not interested in working together ... because if they did, we would have a whole LOT more than the same thing -- in the past couple of albums!
www.pedrosena.com
Sumdeus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2012 at 15:18
Originally posted by Polo Polo wrote:

I sure can. Chance is you're listening to albums expecting another Close to the Edge or another ITCOTCK.

Bad news: that ain't happening.

Worst case scenario is that new albums do nothing for you. 

That'd be too bad. Being stuck to the past, listening to the same records over and over until the only pleasure you obtain from doing so is the nostalgia factor sounds depressing.

How exactly would a 60's/70's comeback result in "innovative" music?

I'm not an idiot, I don't listen to every album expecting it to be a replica of my favorite albums. But I know what kind of an impact my favorite albums have made on me and I look for music that can have the same effect on me. most modern stuff does not have that effect.  Maybe that's too bad for you? I care not for when a record came out. I will be listening to records I consider the best all my life, regardless of if they are 50 years old or 5. For the record, there IS modern music that I consider really great, it's just not prog.

I obviously don't mean regurgitating their ideas as if it would be different but what i mean is music from that time period was a lot more genuine and creative and i would love to see those vibes come back

Edited by Sumdeus - December 15 2012 at 15:19
Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2012 at 15:39
If we did have a 'top bands' instead of top albums, I think it reasonable to, instead of averaging the albums, we ONLY rate a band by their single highest rated album. 

I mean, say a band releases a masterpiece to end all prog masterpieces then proceeds to (maybe from death/personnel changes or sick sadism streaks) release fifty of the worst prog albums in existence. Is it reasonable to punish that first masterpiece album and condemn it to relative obscurity because of what followed? Surely if somebody chose to investigate this hypothetical band further than that one record they'd see all the blistering negative reviews associated with the rest of their work. 

For example: Yes' highest album typically hovers around 4.63 or so. Yes as a group would be rated as 4.63 or so. This guarantees that there would be 100 bands in the top list as well as not punishing a good album for the sake of a poor one. It would still point newcomers to the most famous albums on the site but offer them even more at first glance.
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2012 at 16:03
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

I think that DT has had their good days, and they are now done. It's sad, because they deserve a lot better than what they are getting and the dedication to making good music has always been there, even if not to everyone's tastes, but then ... that is the same for all of us, isn't it?

I actually think that the album with an orchestra is far better than some of this earlier stuff ... because, yo unot only have to be talented, you have to be musically aware, and on top of it the whole time, and that is something that more than half the musicians that we list in our board, are not capable of doing ... and the main reason why they do "songs", or 4 minute cuts that we call ... "prog" or something else.

If that guitarist was playing a violin, we would freak and say he is insane ... instead some of us don't like it, because it is all metal ... but if you get off that idea, and look at the whole thing from an orchestral perspective, all of a sudden you have ... something rather strong and talented ... that would make a few violin crazies over the century look cheap and poor.

You know what? ... I would like to turn this guitarist loose with Klaus Schulze ... and instead of calling it "In Blue" (done with Manuel Gottsching) I would call it ... "In Purple"! ... so you can see a guitar player get loose and then some! I, personally, feel, that what he is doing with DT is at an end, and they do not have the ability to improve their composing ability. The keyboard player is lazy, and more interested in goof'ing off, you have an excellent note player with the bass, but he can't compose, you have a singer that goes out and does 2 minute Stooges and Ramone like songs, you had a drummer that was all show and very little go that needed to have a snare drum broken over his head until he grew up, ..... in other words ... they needed to get out of the school area ... and go try different things ... unffortunately, I think the band will be over after that ... since these folks are not interested in working together ... because if they did, we would have a whole LOT more than the same thing -- in the past couple of albums!

Have you heard their most recent album?  It doesn't have any of the problems that you mentioned, and it's more like their classic stuff. 
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>