Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAbundance of one-man "bands" in modern prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 14:46
Isn't a one-man band kinda like musical masturbation?
The end result is similar, but the way you got there is alone...

Edited by Neelus - December 22 2012 at 14:50
docall27 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 14:46
I enjoy hearing what one person can do when they have a singular vision and carry it through to completion. Given the complexity of some prog, I would think it an advantage to work solo.  Most of the great composers in history composed their incredible music working alone.  I think great music can be realized both ways, solo and collaboratively.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 15:03
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

@ Dean, what you describe (sending files, scores or tracks to other musicians and let them add their input or modify them) is not what I was referring to which was the magical moments of inspirational feedback which can only happen when playing together.

Not sure that is true ... again, using the older music examples, what you are saying is that ... "you can't do that" ... if you don't have two or three people playing together, and that is not the case ... that composer STILL put it together and thought of it ... or heard it in his/her head.

There is, a certain amount of synchronicity, that can take place between two musicians and this is best found in rock music with brothers, or sister combinations, who ahve a knack for supporting each other through mistakes live like no one else, and of course be able to see/hear these quickly in the studio which often helps clean it up, and/or make it better.

IF ... big IFFFFF ... there is something in rock/jazz and free form music that is spectacular, it is that the potential to discover more and more things is much more evident than the composer's idea ... for the most part, mostly because it is two different people interpreting it for the composer ... but if you want to hear synchronicity and what it is about, you need to watch Tom Dowd's DVD ... there is always synchronicity and things that can happen at any time ... but do you, or the engineer, have the ear to find it ... and nod to the folks ... KEEP IT GOING ... and this is what is missing in a lot of rock music, in general, specially when that is a place where you can do this.

If I may suggest, you might want to study the traditions of "raga" and "sufi" designs for music ... where the idea is to keep playing until you overcome the limitations of the technical side of your playing ... in order for the music to enter a completely different realm ... in a "psychic" term, this moment would be ... YOU ... and not an idea of you, or notes, or scales, or "music".

The one-man thing is no more, no less ... an issue ... with one exception ... today you can do this even better than Mike Oldfield with so many tracks on his tape recorders! And faster! But I doubt that it will be better ... because too much of these DAW's is to try and dumb down the music to its simplest ... and that takes away 90% of the music's ability to live on its own right there! ...

But what you are saying is that Albinoni's Adagio in G or any other piece about 500 years of more, is still not exciting to our ears ... because it is missing the concert between the two folks or the violin and the "band" behind it ... and I think you are dead wrong! But it would be wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy harder to write that on a staff, than otherwise ... btw!

Edited by moshkito - December 22 2012 at 15:08
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 15:11

I like one man bands
docall27 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 15:28

The one-man thing is no more, no less ... an issue ... with one exception ... today you can do this even better than Mike Oldfield with so many tracks on his tape recorders! And faster! But I doubt that it will be better ... because too much of these DAW's is to try and dumb down the music to its simplest ... and that takes away 90% of the music's ability to live on its own right there! ...

In what ways do you feel DAWs dumb down the music?
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 15:30
I guess you guys see the obvious fact that all the classical composers were one-man
acts of sorts.
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

organizedsound View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 16:18
I don't have a problem with it. By what you are suggesting, orchestral composers would not be competent enough to create interesting pieces without other people's input.
Sumdeus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 18:22
as one of said modern prog guys with one man bands, I definitely see it as a double edged sword. Doing everything yourself leaves you complete creative freedom so as long as you have hte technical know-how you should be able to execute your artistic vision exactly the way you want to. On the other hand, I agree that without the chemistry of musicians playing together a lot of magic can be lost. my music is very jammy and improvised and it can be tough to keep things sounding natural and in hte moment when you have to record each track yourself one at a time. personally I wish I could clone myself and just have a band of me playing all the different things so each performer still has my ideas and concepts but that's just fantasy haha. I also obviously agree that it can be very beneficial to have other minds to bounce ideas off and have some kind of criticism.
Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 18:40
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

I like one man bands
CoolJimmi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 19:18
I do believe Cloudkicker and Chimp Spanner speak for their style well enough to lend credence to the rest. However, to me, it is not the creativity that is harmed by the one-man band formula; no, to me, it is often the 'sound' I find to be limited. By this, I mean that one-man bands are often lacking in all of their instruments being performed by a human being, seeing as how it would be difficult in many cases for one person to handle such a task. I say this because of two things: 1. I am a drummer, and percusion instruments are the most likely to be emulated electronically. And 2. I absolutely abhor the use of electronic sounds that are not meant to create ambiance in conjunction with live instruments or are used sparingly for largely thematic reasons.

All that said, I am glad that people have the tools to create the full band sound on their own. This means more music and more people getting into music, which are certainly good things. 
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 19:52
Originally posted by CoolJimmi CoolJimmi wrote:

I do believe Cloudkicker and Chimp Spanner speak for their style well enough to lend credence to the rest. However, to me, it is not the creativity that is harmed by the one-man band formula; no, to me, it is often the 'sound' I find to be limited. By this, I mean that one-man bands are often lacking in all of their instruments being performed by a human being, seeing as how it would be difficult in many cases for one person to handle such a task. I say this because of two things: 1. I am a drummer, and percusion instruments are the most likely to be emulated electronically. And 2. I absolutely abhor the use of electronic sounds that are not meant to create ambiance in conjunction with live instruments or are used sparingly for largely thematic reasons.
All that said, I am glad that people have the tools to create the full band sound on their own. This means more music and more people getting into music, which are certainly good things. 

I take your point about drums. I'm not a drummer. I have to use a drum machine. But modern effects devices really do allow one musician to occupy different roles simultaneously and on their own instrument. Experimenting with electronic music to me is part and parcel of what Prog is.
Sumdeus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 19:57
I'm not a drummer so I use bongos and djembes :P
Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 20:33

'One Man' bands can be limiting, depending on the performers know-how and skill at various instruments, recording techniques and so forth.  I'd like to think my friend Daniel does an admirable job on his recordings as a one-man arrangement - bar some help from his buddies here and there.  Check out his work at this link

The files are in FLAC, they take a while, but it's worth it.  BTW, I played the bass on tracks 2 & 6. Dan is da Man !!
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 20:37
I was in bands for 25 years. Basically, I would compose songs on my own, including lyrics, then present them to the band. Invariably, their input made the song better than the acoustic rendition I'd come up with alone (but not always). I don't think this is very much different than what Ian Anderson did with Jethro Tull or David Bowie or Page and Plant or Roger Waters. In fact, in my experience it's far more difficult to write a song with the input of 4 or 5 people all at once.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 20:48
Originally posted by Neelus Neelus wrote:

Neelus, your 'morphing Floyd' avatar is sooooo trippy............
Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 21:38
Simon Railton... great one-man band. His album "Here it is" is a masterpiece.

Edited by bytor2112 - December 22 2012 at 21:40
Wafflesyrup View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 23:21
I always enjoy my self playing more with people and find it to be an interesting learning experience more times than not. 

It's been my philosophy that music occurs more between two or more points than within any single point, notes, people, or otherwise. Harmony, Resonance, Spiritual blah blah blah.

Edited by Wafflesyrup - December 22 2012 at 23:23
paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2012 at 00:04
The main restriction about one-man projects is the lack of competent, solid drumming.

It's relatively easy for one [really talented] person to be able to play the guitar, bass, mellotron, sing, and produce everything all by himself.

It's noticably harder for any such person to also be able to play the drums. I mean professionally, and skilfully enough for prog rock standards. The best thing you can do is to program the percussion track on a computer. I won't notice the difference. Many people won't notice the difference. But it's just not as cool, or "legit", as a real human drummer.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2012 at 03:08
Any one-man would have to be a hell of a man to come up with an album like A Farewell To Kings all by himself.
(I don't question that a man with such a talent can not exist but certainly it would not be your average musician) 
Neelus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2012 at 05:22
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Originally posted by Neelus Neelus wrote:

Neelus, your 'morphing Floyd' avatar is sooooo trippy............

Thanks...Yeah, when I saw it I was reminded of those late night "looking in the mirror" experiences.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>