Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe fathers of Prog Metal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
Poll Question: Which band would you call the fathers of Prog Metal
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
28 [41.79%]
20 [29.85%]
19 [28.36%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 08:04
Blue Oyster Cult, Wishbone Ash and Deep Purple are the first names in my mind, but also Colosseum nd Uriah Heep.
Thinking to the prog metal in Ayreon's style (long concepts with contaminations from folk and pop) I'd say the Who
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 08:05
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Other: Thin Lizzy.
Eh? Confused
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 08:18
...all the bands suggested thus far (except Ironing Maiden of course) may possibly be the fathers of Hard and/or Heavy Rock or Metal or Heavy Prog, but they are the Grandfathers of Prog Metal. The Father of Prog Metal would be a Metal band, not a hard rock band or a loud Prog band.

Stern Smile

Edited by Dean - April 30 2013 at 08:19
What?
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 08:24
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Other: Thin Lizzy.
Eh? Confused

THAT'S THE JOKE. Stern Smile
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 08:48
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

...all the bands suggested thus far (except Ironing Maiden of course) may possibly be the fathers of Hard and/or Heavy Rock or Metal or Heavy Prog, but they are the Grandfathers of Prog Metal. The Father of Prog Metal would be a Metal band, not a hard rock band or a loud Prog band.

Stern Smile
Rightly so, Embarrassed

But the problem is, that its as impossible to define if a Hard rock band is metal, as it is to define, if a 70's band is prog. ; most sources define hard rock and metal as beeing basicly one same thing.
Zep Sabbath and so on, is to most a first wave.

ect. ect.

more about the subject here :

Edited by tamijo - April 30 2013 at 08:55
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 08:56
Easy, the one that has ever been remotely related to metal
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 09:10
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

Stern Smile
Rightly so, Embarrassed

But the problem is, that its as impossible to define if a Hard rock band is metal, as it is to define, if a 70's band is prog. ; most sources define hard rock and metal as beeing basicly one same thing.
Zep Sabbath and so on, is to most a first wave.

ect. ect.

more about the subject here :

Ah, the wikipedia article that introduces us to the seldom read phrase: "punk rock sensibility" ... what an oxymoron... LOL

Never again will we see those three words used in the same sentence, even if Lemmy is involved.

But Nope. While the academic music historians can piddle around to their hearts content, and I do recognise the logic that for there to have been a New Wave Of British Heavy Metal that presuposes that there was an Old Wave of British Heavy Metal before it, this isn't strictly true. The New Wave of epiphet was adopted in deference to the "New Wave" phenominon that was sweeping through mainstream music at that time. What came before was Heavy Rock (which the 'mericans called Hard Rock) not Metal and it was never called Metal (even the seemingly apt named Heavy Metal Kids were a Heavy Rock band who took their name from a gang of street kids featured in a WIlliam S. Borroughs book and not from a musical genre).

The reason why people think "Heavy Metal" existed before then is by word-association - it is familiar to us because a whole bunch of elements on the periodic table are called Heavy Metals so the transition from Heavy Rock (Brit. Eng.) to Heavy Metal (Brit. Eng. and Amer. Eng.) more or less happened without asking.

Edited by Dean - April 30 2013 at 09:11
What?
fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 10:26

Yes, for Machine Messiah :P

Seriously, I'm not honestly sure. Prog metal influences have been around since prog's start really and there's no concrete answer. I would say that the bands in this poll may have been proto progressive metal but it wasn't until the late 80s where it really started to pop up.

StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 10:47
There is no one band.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 10:59
Nektar is
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 11:14
DREAM THEATER easy!!!!! I know they did start as soon as some of the other greats, but they made the genre for what it has now become today. I would say Iron Maiden, but their early stuff is more heavy Metal not prog and Rush is in No way metal sounding to me. Queensr’che haven't had a long enough legacy to be considered Godfathers even though they really helped kickstart the genre. Fates Warning? Na. I think not.

I vote (other) for Dream Theater.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 11:16
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

So what is your definiton of "fathers" presactly?
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 11:35

When I think paterfamilias I think of someone that holds the most water or that is a large acting force that ultimately makes a very big lasting impression. Dream Theater started in 1985 but didn't get known till around 1992 with the incredible IMAGES AND WORDS release. It seems that so many bands like to try and take examples of Dream Theater's music from 1992 and on. They are the most influential band in the genre easily. I can't count how many modern prog metal bands take after albums like their IMAGES AND WORDS and OCTAVARIUM album. It's insane. The genre is owned by Dream Theater in a lot of ways. Bold claim? Maybe, but I know they are huge front runners for prog metal. We cannot deny that. :)
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 12:00
Black Sabbath.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 12:13

When I think paterfamilias I think of someone that holds the most water or that is a large acting force that ultimately makes a very big lasting impression. Dream Theater started in 1985 but didn't get known till around 1992 with the incredible IMAGES AND WORDS release. It seems that so many bands like to try and take examples of Dream Theater's music from 1992 and on. They are the most influential band in the genre easily. I can't count how many modern prog metal bands take after albums like their IMAGES AND WORDS and OCTAVARIUM album. It's insane. The genre is owned by Dream Theater in a lot of ways. Bold claim? Maybe, but I know they are huge front runners for prog metal. We cannot deny that. :)
Well, in a word, No. To be fathers of a genre you need to have had influence on all those emergent bands when the genre was forming, and Dream Theatre doesn't fit that bill; and you also should have had some influence on those bands that are also at the forefront of the genre, and again Dream Theatre falls short. Where, I may ask, is the connection between Dream Theatre and [or influence of Dream Theatre on] Savatage, Queensr’che, Fates Warning, Pain Of Salvation, Therion, Ayreon, Opeth etc etc ad infinitum ad nauseum blah blah blah. Being influential on a few johnny-come-lately clones (and the number is not that big) is not the same as being the fathers of the genre. To do that you have to have broader influence, and while it is not an imperative, you really need to have been bigger (ie more popular) back then too to reach that broad spectrum of emergent bands. Possible candidates would be drawn from the Bay Area thrash scene or NWOBHM that gave rise not only to Prog Metal, but Power, Symphonic and Death Metal too. That's my theory anyway and it holds a lot more water than pinning everything on the shoulders of Dream Theatre if you ask me.

One thing that Dream Theatre does not do, is own the genre.
What?
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 12:21

While I do recognise the logic that for there to have been a New Wave Of British Heavy Metal that presuposes that there was an Old Wave of British Heavy Metal before it, this isn't strictly true. The New Wave of epiphet was adopted in deference to the "New Wave" phenominon that was sweeping through mainstream music at that time. What came before was Heavy Rock.
Hmm, not sure, I would say that Judas Priest, Motorhead or Scorpions (while the latter not being British) were already Metal before NWOBHM. As with everything there is no clear dividing line, but they were closer to what would become regarded as Metal than previous Hard / Heavy Rock acts like Purple, Sabbath, Alice Cooper etc.
AC/DC belong more to Heavy Rock in my book but according to some they were also early Metal.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 12:32

Well, in a word, No. To be fathers of a genre you need to have had influence on all those emergent bands when the genre was forming, and Dream Theatre doesn't fit that bill; and you also should have had some influence on those bands that are also at the forefront of the genre, and again Dream Theatre falls short. Where, I may ask, is the connection between Dream Theatre and [or influence of Dream Theatre on] Savatage, Queensr’che, Fates Warning, Pain Of Salvation, Therion, Ayreon, Opeth etc etc ad infinitum ad nauseum blah blah blah. Being influential on a few johnny-come-lately clones (and the number is not that big) is not the same as being the fathers of the genre. To do that you have to have broader influence, and while it is not an imperative, you really need to have been bigger (ie more popular) back then too to reach that broad spectrum of emergent bands. Possible candidates would be drawn from the Bay Area thrash scene or NWOBHM that gave rise not only to Prog Metal, but Power, Symphonic and Death Metal too. That's my theory anyway and it holds a lot more water than pinning everything on the shoulders of Dream Theatre if you ask me.

You make some good points. I guess my feeling on the whole 'fatherhood' moniker with Dream Theater doesn't necessarily mean that they had to there (beginning stages of prog metal) to be the godfathers. I'm associating 'Fatherhood' with the meaning of a grand takeover. A new lasting impression if you will and Dream Theater have definitely done that. It started in 1992 and Sounds and structures from that album haven't rally left the prog metal genre. Metropolis pt 2 seems to be a major staple and soul example of what prog metal truly is and what it stands for. Even the 'Johnny come latelys' would agree. I believe Dream Theater have had a hand (influence) in all those bands you have listed even, especially AYREON. Dream Theater weren't the band that started it all, but they did come into the scene not that late and they are the most sought after paradigm that prog metal has to offer. Album sales have a little to do with that as well. 12milllion and counting. Might have a new album come out this year too! :)
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 13:17

You make some good points. I guess my feeling on the whole 'fatherhood' moniker with Dream Theater doesn't necessarily mean that they had to there (beginning stages of prog metal) to be the godfathers. I'm associating 'Fatherhood' with the meaning of a grand takeover. A new lasting impression if you will and Dream Theater have definitely done that. It started in 1992 and Sounds and structures from that album haven't rally left the prog metal genre. Metropolis pt 2 seems to be a major staple and soul example of what prog metal truly is and what it stands for. Even the 'Johnny come latelys' would agree. I believe Dream Theater have had a hand (influence) in all those bands you have listed even, especially AYREON. Dream Theater weren't the band that started it all, but they did come into the scene not that late and they are the most sought after paradigm that prog metal has to offer. Album sales have a little to do with that as well. 12milllion and counting. Might have a new album come out this year too! :)
And it's still a resounding no. Your definition of fatherhood is shifting from adoptive step-father to wicked child-catcher, casting Dream Theatre as a Fagin-like figure gathering the waiflike orphaned clones to his lair to pick a prog pocket or two boys. If you really think they have influenced all those bands then please give examples, because from what I see the influence goes in the opposite dirtection for some of them and is non-existant for others - the way you describe it they were so damn influential they influenced the bands they supported and the bands they covered in those formative years. Ayreon's influences are well documented both in interviews and on the albums Luccassen records, DT doesn't figure that high when compared to the list of influences that they both share - if Ayreon and Dream Theatre have a list of mutual influences then any simularities are due to that overlap.You cannot pull a 1999 concept album up as prime example when several of the bands I listed had produced equally as ambitious concept albums many years prior to that that also could be regarded as setting a standard for others to follow - do you think Scenes From A Memory was produced in total isolation from them?

Sure, 12 million sales is impressive, but not outstandingly so over an 11 album 22 year career when compared to Queensr’che's 20 million, and that pales when compared to Ironing Maiden or Metallicacaca who could shift that volume on a single album.

Edited by Dean - April 30 2013 at 13:19
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 13:27
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Scorpions:Stern Smile

Looks like someone needs to swot-up in their Scorpions history Wink
What?
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down