Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

In A Glass House vs. Wind & Wuthering

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: In A Glass House or Wind & Wuthering?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
59 [51.30%]
56 [48.70%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brainstormer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 18:23
We have to remember though, since Phil Spector, there has been no excuse.  I think it all comes down to the skill of the engineers.  
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brainstormer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 18:35
Listening to "In a Glass House" again, at least the first song, "The Runaway," has some good engineering.  Haven't heard the rest of it in ages. 
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 18:48
In A Glass House for me. I just enjoy it way more.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smartpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 18:58
Originally posted by brainstormer brainstormer wrote:

I think a lot of 70's bands were still in the "crunchy rock" sound engineering mode.  I admire GG but its kind of like VDGG, it doesn't have a "sonic vision" like even King Crimson seems to have. There is something about the way some bands just expect the notes to carry the vision, without the engineering kicking in, which in the 70's was only happening in a select few bands, perhaps those who were early adapters of all the in's and outs of new recording/processing technology...

I think that's partially true. Although I think good engineering and production is important, I think that if the composition is exceptional (as in GG and VDGG's works), basic/mediocre production can be made up for.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 19:11
Don't really like both albums. Embarrassed
Larree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 19:35
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Originally posted by Larree Larree wrote:

In a Glass House.

I stopped listening to Genesis after TOTT.

Why do that if W&W is a 5* album and Trick is a 2*

I don't care how many stars other people give these albums.  I SAW Genesis with Peter Gabriel and after he left the band Genesis sucked donkey nuts.  I did buy TOTT and saw the concert.  That was the last money they got from me.  Stinking pop shlock.

Gentle Giant on the other hand... one of the best bands I ever saw live.

Edited by Larree - May 24 2013 at 19:41
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 19:58

In a Glass House.

I don't care how many stars other people give these albums.  I SAW Genesis with Peter Gabriel and after he left the band Genesis sucked donkey nuts.  I did buy TOTT and saw the concert.  That was the last money they got from me.  Stinking pop shlock.

Don't know how you can call TOTT or WAW pop albums? Some pop elements maybe.
Larree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 20:28
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

In a Glass House.

Easy!  Compared to Foxtrot, Selling England, and the Lamb, TOTT and W&W were pure pop to me.  Same way that Dark Side of the Moon is pop to me after the growing up on the earlier Floyd stuff.  Just my opinion!  Beer
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Crimson776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 21:11
Oh, really? It's that close huh. Glass House while not my favorite, is classic GG at perhaps their peak of complexity.

W&W is really watered down through much of it. Not even close to Trick. They must have run out of saved up material. I do really like a few tracks though: Eleventh Earl, One for the Vine, Blood on the Rooftops... gotta love that super-gay vocal part in "Vine", beginning with that ascending synth line, and then "FOLLOW MEEEEE"... and the bit after that.

Edited by King Crimson776 - May 24 2013 at 21:17
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 21:31
Wind...

Might be my favorite Genesis album these days...

m2thek View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m2thek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 22:45
One of the greatest albums ever vs. a great album

IAGH wins against almost any album for me
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 23:02
No idea of the relation to classical, but W&W for me.  IAGH is my least favorite GG.  (I've not heard the final 3 albums; natch.)
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 23:12

Quite easy for me. In A Glass House.

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 00:11
Winnnnnnnnnnnnd!!

For me.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bucka001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 02:23
Originally posted by brainstormer brainstormer wrote:

I think a lot of 70's bands were still in the "crunchy rock" sound engineering mode.  I admire GG but its kind of like VDGG, it doesn't have a "sonic vision" like even King Crimson seems to have. There is something about the way some bands just expect the notes to carry the vision, without the engineering kicking in, which in the 70's was only happening in a select few bands, perhaps those who were early adapters of all the in's and outs of new recording/processing technology.  GG and VDGG are great bands, but sound more like listening to some classical music today.  They just don't have the sweeping engineering work that a lot of prog bands have.  Even Novalis, Gong and Hawkwind I think were better engineered. 

Mid-period VdGG (from Godbluff onward) purposefully had a live-ish sonic quality to it, that could also be described as brutal or raw. They didn't want to sound "lush" or "warm" like Genesis. I can see many traditional prog fans not digging it. Not too many albums sounded like the VdGG mid-70s recordings back then; later, more bands started going for that more immediate, organic aural sound, but most mid-70s albums were very produced (many overly produced). Now the earlier VdGG albums... those were much more produced (by John Anthony) and had great engineers who went on to make names for themselves in the industry (David Hentschell, Ken Scott, Robin Cable, etc).

As for W&W vs. AGH. I used to love W&W and don't agree with an earlier poster that it's pop compared to the Gabriel years. It sort of reminded me of Foxtrot, just four years on (I think I read Tony Banks stating the same thing, which I agree with in many ways). But I don't like it these days. As with TOTT, Banks' keyboards kill it for me. Just trapped in '76, '77. I wish he would have just stuck to organ and mellotron as he did on earlier albums and not delved into the world of synths. And the humorous lyrics (i.e. All in a Mouse's Night) don't have the same sharp wit or vibe as Gabe's humorous lyrics; sans Gabriel, Genesis' humor is kinda lame whereas PG did really have an agreeable left field, off-the-wall sense of humor. I do agree with the earlier poster about the difference between pre and post Gabriel Genesis in that respect.

As for In A Glass House... I liked Gentle Giant at one time and used to spin Octopus and Three Friends quite a lot (I owned a lot more, but those were the two I loved). But I never owned IAGG and only heard IAGG once and didn't like it at all. It just seemed like it was afraid to groove. Like it was all over the map (I'm one of the people who got embarrassed by all the instrument switching in old GG videos; like they were trying too hard to show how talented they were when they should have been just rocking out). I don't know if this an "instrument switching" album, but it had that vibe of trying too hard at the time. But I didn't give it much of a chance and am curious to hear it again after all these years. It's supposed to be a classic, so I look forward to investigating. No vote from me until then.
jc
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 02:59
In A Glass House is a 3 star album for me . I know that's heresy but I like Power And The Glory and Freehand a lot more. IAGH just seems a bit weak compositionally even though the playing is of the highest order.

WAW is a 4 star album. Not a very cohesive album for me. The band were in the throws of major changes and thats what comes across to me most although I love the longer tracks especially One For The Vine which is the last great Genesis epic imo.

So WAW shades it but neither showcases the band at the top of their game imo.
Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eria Tarka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 03:31
Originally posted by mister nobody mister nobody wrote:

Meh. I listened to Wind and Wuthering once and it was pretty meh.
On the other hand, In a Glass House is one of my Gentle Giant favorites.

This
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 03:47

Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

In a Glass House.

Easy!  Compared to Foxtrot, Selling England, and the Lamb, TOTT and W&W were pure pop to me.  Same way that Dark Side of the Moon is pop to me after the growing up on the earlier Floyd stuff.  Just my opinion!  Beer

Fair enough. Your opinion. You just happen to be at odds with Roger Waters and Dave Gilmour who publicly stated that DSOtM was the best thing they had ever done up to that point.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 03:50
Glass House by a smidge..............
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 12:51
Wind & Wuthering
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>