Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAlbum Covers - Does it matter?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2004 at 10:59
I bought "The Penteteuch of the Cosmogony" by Dave Greenslade entirely on the strength of the fantastic art work by Patrick Woodroffe, having never heard of Greenslade. I was 13 yrs old and CDs had not yet even been an item on "Tomorrow's World". The best prog art work ever and no need to strain your eyes to see it. At ten quid a shot it cost me deep in the purse, (a lot of cash for a school boy in 1980) but my god was it worth it. The book of art alone is worth every penny, but the brilliant double album is one hell of a bonus!
Perception is truth, ergo opinion is fact.
peringo2 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2004 at 06:37

When I was young and had time to listen to music carefully, the cover - and inside photos and lyrics - were an integral part of the experience. From my point of vie, I favored cover with tons of details to be disscovered at each time I sat down to listen to a record. Iron Maiden and MArillion's Fish era were the ideal covers to get lost into, although they wer mostly crimes againt humanity.

BTW, I love dreadful covers. They give you a reason to laugh among friends. Specially Ozric Tentacles. My friend Victor once said "I Liked "curious Corn", so I'm buying another one. There are tons of 'em, so I'm getting the one with the less terrible cover art". He came home with an Ozric Tentacles record, but clearly depressed. "Would you belive THIS was their best cover?"

It was hard to believe. And I became an Ozric tentacles fan since that moment.

"Your sperm's in the gutter/ Your love's in the sink"
oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2004 at 09:52

Hello,

"When I was young and had time to listen to music carefully, the cover - and inside photos and lyrics - were an integral part of the experience"

For me it was the same, i used to examinate the details of the covers, the inside

info.

PF /Wish you were here impressed me a lot with its cover which evokes for me

the painter"Magritte"

James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2004 at 10:49

The only time I bought an album on the basis of the cover alone was Pallas' "The Sentinel", and I hated the music- but Patrick Woodroffe's art is great. It was a much bigger part of the package with vinyl- cassettes were almost useless and CDs are only about halfway to acceptable viewing size. Try making out the details on the CD version of Crumb's wonderful "Cheap Thrills" cover- it's almost an injustice. Roger Dean, Hypgnosis, Phil Travers (Moody Blues), Mouse (Grateful Dead), and that tricky Patrick Woodroffe were my favorites, but there's thousands of really impressive covers. As good a reason as any to collect vinyl

AngelRat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2004 at 15:46

I think it's a shame some artists don't put too much effort in their covers. Ok, the music is of course more important, but the cover is what might attract the attention of the ignorant visitor of the recordshop in the first place. It's a kind of teaser. It makes you wonder what kind of music such artwork will contain. And therefore help the artist.

So, it is important for me. However, if my of my fav bands put out a record with an atrocious cover, I will probably buy it anyway (Mahavishnu's 'Trident Sessions' indeed). And ANY reason to collect vinyl is valuable by me.

threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2004 at 18:14
Originally posted by emdiar emdiar wrote:

12" covers were so much better and I, for one, lament their passing.

Me too... thats why I keep collecting vinyl...

I don't think covers have anything to do with my buying or liking an album.  I think sometimes they show an attitude that the band might be going thru.. but don't usually portray the music.

I think we can tell what my favorite album cover is by my avatar, but I also thought the KC - ITCOTKC cover was beautiful.  There is an artist here in Queens that did a marvelous art sculpture of it.. that Greg Lake's mgt. company bought for display in their upstate NY offices..

I also love The Division Bell Cover and interior artwork.  Actually Pink Floyd has put together some really beautiful song books that are almost like coffee table books with extremely beautiful artwork.  I almost bought them all just for the aesthetic value.

THIS IS ELP
Marcelo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2004 at 18:42
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

I've certainly bought albums on the strength of the cover on a number of occasions. A Roger Dean for example will always be a recommendation to me

Even Asia albums?

EVO View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2004 at 03:18

it does!

I bought the album the sentinel from Pallas because of its great artwork.

it was the best album i ever heared !, an all time favourite.

Live Long and Prosper...
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2004 at 14:46
Originally posted by Marcelo Marcelo wrote:

Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

I've certainly bought albums on the strength of the cover on a number of occasions. A Roger Dean for example will always be a recommendation to me

Even Asia albums?

Especially Asia albums! I'm proud to say I love their music, whether or not it's "prog".Big smile

bassguy35 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2004 at 21:09
i don't think it matters...like the old saying goes "you can't judge a book by its cover", "you can't judge a CD by it's cover" it could be a really dumb cover but a great CD or visa-versa it could be a cool cover but a dumb CD.
<ROCK ON!>
bassguy35
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2004 at 21:46

As I read through this thread, I was going to comment when I got to the end.  But bassguy beat me to it.

Ultimately, "you can't judge a CD by its cover."  I have never bought an album solely on its cover, nor would I ever even think of doing so.  Not even if a well-known artist (e.g., Roger Dean) was the artist.  Because there are simply no guarantees where covers are concerned.

I certainly agree that a good cover can "add" to the enjoyment of an album.  And like others, I mourn the passing of the 12" cover, sleeve and, especially, readable lyrics (in a font large enough to see without a microscope).  In this regard, although I understand and respect (in most, but not all, cases) that CDs sound better than LPs (and last longer, for the most part), I can't help but think we have lost something special with the end of truly great cover art (in 12"), and all that went with it.

Peace.

Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2004 at 15:36
Originally posted by maani maani wrote:

I have never bought an album solely on its cover, nor would I ever even think of doing so. 

Where's your sense of adventure Maani?!

Next you'll be telling us you've never driven down a freeway in the wrong direction at 100 mph!LOLWink

Fragile View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2004 at 17:27

Great album covers were intoxicating.

flippedcanvas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2004 at 07:37
Great bands show their talent regardless their album cover,I totally disagree with the image behind music including the album cover. If they're good I buy their cd no matter what!
all the knots get back to the comb.
Minstrel X View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2004 at 15:00

The cover gives the music that representation our imagination can also give it to the music. As any musicologist would say, music generates images, sometimes the album covers represents what the artist wants to transmit. Of course, some covers can be deceiving in that category, or sometimes the cover is just awful and the music is great (i.e: Anekdoten- From Within'). Some of the covers i like the most:

Faithful Breath- Fading Beauty

Opeth- Damnation

Eloy- Planets

Porcupine Tree- Lightbulb sun

White Willow- Sacrament

Death Machine- s/t

Symphony X- V

Jethro Tull- Minstrel In the Gallery

Pulsar- Halloween

Edited by Minstrel X
Minstrel X: Burning down the gallery
arqwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2004 at 18:22

hi there...

well people, i agree with the fact that a record shouldn't be avoided or bought beacuse of the cover, however, being an architect and designer i really enjoy and appreciate the artwork of every single album (even if the artwork sucks), anyway... people like Roger dean, Strom thorgerson, Bill Smith and so many more, has built a career in design beacuse of the record covers thay has been made since the late 60's.

i do belive in design, and i do belive that design is an integral part of our lives, whenever you look, your eyes will find designed things.

These days we have also different cd packages that upgrade the final product which happens to be MUSIC, so i don't consider artwork a condition, but an upgrade. If record covers weren't important, it wouldn't be books documenting those.

peace

between darkness and light
theis the one View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2004 at 18:26

A cover can make me look at cd and take a quick lisning, but if i don't like it, then i don't buy cause of the cover.

Theis|Shogun
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2004 at 16:07
Originally posted by danbo danbo wrote:

I believe a cover should be representative of the music within. Genesis' "A Trick of the Tail" cover is an amalgam of the characters with the lyrics. Wonderfully done. It shows the artists also cares about the visual aspects of music.

I would also add the importance of lyrics and information being included in the package. There is nothing worse than having a CD without lyrics and you can't make out what the singer's saying. Of course the Internet has made the process easier, but the artist should include that from the start.  

Danbo I completley agree with your view.
AngelRat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2004 at 16:33

Would Yes ever have had the same amount of popularity without Roger Dean?

Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2004 at 17:29
Originally posted by AngelRat AngelRat wrote:

Would Yes ever have had the same amount of popularity without Roger Dean?

Well considering they only really became popular after Roger stopped doing their album art (the pop years), I'd say they would have

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>