Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMarillion's "Brave"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 13:52
I really tried liking Brave, but there are too many slow and boring moment for me to really think it is a masterpiece. After reading about all themeticulous recording and re-recording of all the individual parts, then picking out each one to try to find the most perfect take....it just seems like (and from listening to the album I get this feeling too) that Marillion tried too hard on it. They tried to make a perfect album...and although the songs are mostly all fairly good, none of them really have any punch and they (the songs) seem to convey fatigue.

Putting that aside, my real beef with the album would be that EVERY SINGLE SONG is overly long. Lap of Luxury and Hard as Love could have been cut in half easily. I suppose it wouldn't have had that epic feel if each song was 3-4 minutes though.

Perhaps I was not this album's intended audience though? Seeing as how my favourite song off the album is Made Again...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 13:59
Originally posted by DJPuffyLemon DJPuffyLemon wrote:

I really tried liking Brave, but there are too many slow and boring moment for me to really think it is a masterpiece. After reading about all themeticulous recording and re-recording of all the individual parts, then picking out each one to try to find the most perfect take....it just seems like (and from listening to the album I get this feeling too) that Marillion tried too hard on it. They tried to make a perfect album...and although the songs are mostly all fairly good, none of them really have any punch and they (the songs) seem to convey fatigue.Putting that aside, my real beef with the album would be that EVERY SINGLE SONG is overly long. Lap of Luxury and Hard as Love could have been cut in half easily. I suppose it wouldn't have had that epic feel if each song was 3-4 minutes though.Perhaps I was not this album's intended audience though? Seeing as how my favourite song off the album is Made Again...

I have to agree with you that several songs are overly long but I try to keep in mind that not everyone and his brother was releasing decent concept albums in the '90s.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 14:24
I don't really follow Marillion (though I was into them briefly in the Fish days), but I picked up a copy of "Brave" because it had been described here as a great concept album.  The first thing I did when I got it was to read the lyric booklet, and I have to say it's a wonderful, dark set of lyrics, and a real strong story overall.   However, when I listened to it, I found the music to be kind of inconsequential.  If it's only there to serve as a background for the lyrics, then I guess it was a success, but it felt very nondescript to me.  Still glad I have it though.  It may grow on me more someday.

Edited by HolyMoly - June 23 2014 at 14:24
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 14:30
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I don't really follow Marillion (though I was into them briefly in the Fish days), but I picked up a copy of "Brave" because it had been described here as a great concept album.  The first thing I did when I got it was to read the lyric booklet, and I have to say it's a wonderful, dark set of lyrics, and a real strong story overall.   However, when I listened to it, I found the music to be kind of inconsequential.  If it's only there to serve as a background for the lyrics, then I guess it was a success, but it felt very nondescript to me.  Still glad I have it though.  It may grow on me more someday.

This pretty much sums it up for me as well. It irritates me that it doesn't knock my socks off, but alas it doesn't. I am however, like you Steve, hoping it will some day. 
After all some of my most treasured albums these days were completely incomprehensible and "wrong", when I first heard them. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 14:36
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

This pretty much sums it up for me as well. It irritates me that it doesn't knock my socks off, but alas it doesn't. I am however, like you Steve, hoping it will some day. 
After all some of my most treasured albums these days were completely incomprehensible and "wrong", when I first heard them. 
True Dave, Brave is an album that grew on me. There are some things about it that are annoying to me but I just try to keep them in perspective.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 14:55
Masterpiece
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 21:00
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Masterpiece

Ya mun. Pretty damn close.

You know what is interesting to me about 'Brave' is that it sounds like an album that doesn't belong in the 90's era at all.
1993? More like 2003. The album was ahead of its time. Sounds like it could have come out last year.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 12:03
I really just began listening to Marillion over the past couple of months after finding some of their CDs in a 2nd hand music store and Brave is one of them (Clutching and Misplaced Childhood are the others).  

So far I have mixed feelings on Brave....I love it on one listen then dislike on a another listen and back and forth it goes.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 12:23
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

I really just began listening to Marillion over the past couple of months after finding some of their CDs in a 2nd hand music store and Brave is one of them (Clutching and Misplaced Childhood are the others).  
So far I have mixed feelings on Brave....I love it on one listen then dislike on a another listen and back and forth it goes.

The Hogarth era is very inconsistent for me. The Fish era reigns far superior to my ears, but Brave is definitely one of the Better Hogarth era albums. It's very layered and textured musically. A lot was put into the music and I think most here on PA say that they tried a little hard. You wanna absolutely love it, but you can't.
Marbles is an easier album to digest. I'd get that one if you care to explore further in Hogarth land....don't go too far though.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2014 at 01:16
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I really tried liking Brave, but there are too many slow and boring moment for me to really think it is a masterpiece. After reading about all themeticulous recording and re-recording of all the individual parts, then picking out each one to try to find the most perfect take....it just seems like (and from listening to the album I get this feeling too) that Marillion tried too hard on it. They tried to make a perfect album...and although the songs are mostly all fairly good, none of them really have any punch and they (the songs) seem to convey fatigue.Putting that aside, my real beef with the album would be that EVERY SINGLE SONG is overly long. Lap of Luxury and Hard as Love could have been cut in half easily. I suppose it wouldn't have had that epic feel if each song was 3-4 minutes though.Perhaps I was not this album's intended audience though? Seeing as how my favourite song off the album is Made Again...

I have to agree with you that several songs are overly long but I try to keep in mind that not everyone and his brother was releasing decent concept albums in the '90s.

I wonder if it would be worth me putting up a poll pitting Brave against Subterranea?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2014 at 12:21
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I wonder if it would be worth me putting up a poll pitting Brave against Subterranea?

No contest in my mind. Subterranea is by far and away a superior album to me sonically speaking.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2014 at 01:19
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

No contest in my mind. Subterranea is by far and away a superior album to me sonically speaking.

that's a 'dare' if ever there was oneWink
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2014 at 11:49
I think I have become one of the lonely now that everybody talks to me...

The Hollow Man hits the #1 spot for me. Brilliant.
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 20:36

And this is the general problem I've been running into with people who aren't really that into Marillion. They don't really allow sufficient time to get into an album. Not everything hits us right away. For example, it took me several listens to fully appreciate Anoraknophobia, but I love it now and consider it one of their best. Marbles and Brave were easy sells for me as this is Marillion at its epic best, but when they get outside their comfort zones, which they did with Anoraknophobia for example, things start getting a little bit strange, but, like I said, sometimes it just takes awhile for something to hit us emotionally. Marillion are one of the most emotional bands I know, but there are several of their albums that I just can't get into and have tried for years to get into and they are (in no particular order): Script For A Jester's Tear, Fugazi, Holidays in Eden, Radiation (horrible album IMHO), and Happiness is the Road (still growing on me, though).
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 21:01
^ word....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2014 at 21:12
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

^ word....

“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2014 at 23:04
I'd love if Marillion got someone to release a 5.1 surround sound mix of this album. If any album truly deserves 5.1, it's Brave. Just think of all the effects and different parts we would finally be able to hear in a song like Goodbye To All That or the title track? I get goosebumps just thinking about the possibility of something like this being released.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2014 at 01:18
Steven Steven where art thou StevenSmile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2014 at 08:35
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

I'd love if Marillion got someone to release a 5.1 surround sound mix of this album. If any album truly deserves 5.1, it's Brave. Just think of all the effects and different parts we would finally be able to hear in a song like Goodbye To All That or the title track? I get goosebumps just thinking about the possibility of something like this being released.

This is a lovely thought and I share the same feelings as you. You know, it's funny how more people aren't really aware of 5.1 audio formats or home cinema/receiver/amp set ups. It's one of the very best ways to bring out the life in your music and do an album it's true justice. The 5.1 market is a niche/luxury market still! I'm sure cost and the rising technology in movie theaters have negated people to buy their own sound system for their homes.
My point is I wish a 5.1 audio DVD was available and as common to buy as a regular CD. I know production costs are more to make these audio formats, but If the market was bigger we would not have scarce availability for these truly amazing formats via bit streaming. :)

Prog on nonetheless. Guess we will have to settle for Dolby prologic 2 or 5 channel stereo with DSP.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2014 at 09:40
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

This is a lovely thought and I share the same feelings as you. You know, it's funny how more people aren't really aware of 5.1 audio formats or home cinema/receiver/amp set ups. It's one of the very best ways to bring out the life in your music and do an album it's true justice. The 5.1 market is a niche/luxury market still! I'm sure cost and the rising technology in movie theaters have negated people to buy their own sound system for their homes.
My point is I wish a 5.1 audio DVD was available and as common to buy as a regular CD. I know production costs are more to make these audio formats, but If the market was bigger we would not have scarce availability for these truly amazing formats via bit streaming. :)

Prog on nonetheless. Guess we will have to settle for Dolby prologic 2 or 5 channel stereo with DSP.

I'd love the possibility of owning more 5.1 surround sound prog rock recordings. I don't have my stereo quite set up for this audio treatment yet, but I'm working on it. I have seen Blu-ray audio discs starting to be released more now. Wasn't there a Yes Close To The Edge surround mix on Blu-ray not too long ago? I think Steven Wilson (surprise!) did the surround mix.

Edited by Mirror Image - July 02 2014 at 09:41
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>