Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What Prog album is the most personally important?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat Prog album is the most personally important?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2014 at 14:49
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^I was a bit older when Pink Floyd's The Wall came out so I was mainly interested in the album for it's wild concept and fantastic sound. Why do you suppose it struck a chord with so many young people when it was released?

The beginning of the 80's seemed a wasteland to this 19 year old at the time and that album was perhaps the very last full blown epic musical statement about society and its ills. I was a bit late to the prog party in terms of my musical taste as well so considering this was the only significant 'old style' prog album released between 1978 and Marillion's Misplaced Childhood in 1985 then it had to do.
*frinspar* View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2014 at 14:51
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

At the risk of losing my prog membership card. The three that hold the most meaning are Genesis' s/t album, Abacab and 90125 as these were the first three prog-ish albums I heard when I was 14 and they got me started on a lifetime of spending tons of cash on music. Although there are by far better albums out there in music, and by those two bands in particular, those three will always hold a special place for me.

Wow, that's pretty much how it went for me with those same albums. I stole Abacab from my sister. She got it for Man on the Corner and didn't much like the rest. Dodo/Lurker really struck me as different than anything I'd heard before. I was 8 or 9 and it was mostly radio up to that point  Then came 90125, and a few more years down the road, I eventually started working my way backwards to the other stuff.
Abacab is definitely the album I'm probably most connected to.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2014 at 16:01
Strangely, I've managed to compile a list of favorite albums (naturally including those that are personally important to me), though I don't quite fancy the idea of ranking them, which is why ...

Really? ... Here it is:

I think only the music on it can explain why it's the most important album to me personally. If it can't, ... sorry, you are on your own then.

OK, well, that's a load of s$%t. I love the lush, "cumbersome" (a word critics like to use for some works) synth textures on it, and those Miles Davis-like solos, even though I'm not really into Miles' stuff.

What got me into prog (the thing that some of the previous posts address) is a different question.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - July 01 2014 at 16:10
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2014 at 16:43
^So what actually did get you into Prog? This sounds like too good a story to pass on.
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2014 at 16:46
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^I was a bit older when Pink Floyd's The Wall came out so I was mainly interested in the album for it's wild concept and fantastic sound. Why do you suppose it struck a chord with so many young people when it was released?

The beginning of the 80's seemed a wasteland to this 19 year old at the time and that album was perhaps the very last full blown epic musical statement about society and its ills. I was a bit late to the prog party in terms of my musical taste as well so considering this was the only significant 'old style' prog album released between 1978 and Marillion's Misplaced Childhood in 1985 then it had to do.

Maybe not ones that were on your radar but there were a few others such as:

Eloy-Silent cries and mighty echoes 1979
UK-Danger Money 1979
Genesis-Duke 1980
Rush-Permanent Waves-1980
Yes-Drama- 1980
Camel- Nude 1981
Rush-Moving Pictures- 1981
King Crimson-Discipline- 1981
"       "   -Beat 1982
Peter Gabriel-Security-1982
Marillion-Script for a Jester's Tear 1983

Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2014 at 16:53
The early albums from most bands, especially the first 2 Genesis albums - both are easily 5 stars for me. For example, I prefer the debut even to "Nursery Cryme" or "ATOTT". "Trespass" is my all-time favourite album, even though it's not as advances musically as "Foxtrot". Same for loads of albums for me ("Shine On Brightly" for instance), but Trespass is the most personally important to me Smile Nice to see what everyone else thinks too - good thread! Tongue
Garlop View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2014 at 18:10
If i 'd have to choose one album. I would say Moon7 by The Gourishankar. That album its just too perfect. I could listen to it for many years and dont get tired of it. 

There are few albums that can really touch you like that. What really pisses me off its that they are very underrated. They should get more attentionThumbs Up
Time has no name and regret has no meaning
bencament View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2014 at 18:26
For me i'd have to say Dark Side of the Moon. 

Blew my mind when I first heard it as a kid, but what's cooler is I can still listen to it and get that same feeling. 

Other ones that are important to me, all for different reasons are - 
Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
Dream Theater - Octavarium
Opeth - Blackwater Park

http://www.thebencameronproject.com
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2014 at 19:36

^So what actually did get you into Prog? This sounds like too good a story to pass on.
I believe I answered that question on a couple of threads the titles of which no one remembers, ... but what the hell ... 

The first time I heard "The Court of the Crimson King" (on dizzler.com, now a non-existent radio website), the first few seconds, was when I was introduced to the sound of the string Mellotron. It was nothing like what I've heard before. Big grandiose chords that sound dark and dramatic. And the-way-ahead-of-its-time processed vocal on "Schizoid Man" ... noisy-grungy music in 1969 ... fused with jazz? Well, this is way more interesting than American classic rock.

I never looked back. Liar. I looked back, but not very often and not with as much enthusiasm.

Either ITCOTCK or The Dark Side of the Moon. Have you ever thought to yourself these cheesy ideas that (1) you feel liberated and find beauty when you hear Roger's lyrics the band's music and (2) all the people in the world collectively must realize how absolutely futile and pointless evil is? That's how I felt when I heard DSOTM. Very "psychedelic", hippie thoughts, but they just make sense. That album really shines both musically and lyrically.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - July 01 2014 at 19:46
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2014 at 19:40
Originally posted by bencament bencament wrote:

For me i'd have to say Dark Side of the Moon. 

Blew my mind when I first heard it as a kid, but what's cooler is I can still listen to it and get that same feeling. 

Other ones that are important to me, all for different reasons are - 
Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
Dream Theater - Octavarium
Opeth - Blackwater Park

Before I got into Prog there were three albums all on this site that really had an affect on me. Permanent Waves by Rush was an album that simply fit my personality if that makes any sense. Melancholic yes but there are some amazing peaks with lots of emotion for me. It was my soundtrack when I was 19 or 20. Also Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon which is the closest thing to perfection that i've heard. Again like the Rush cd it was playng in my car constantly as I drove around the beaches up here. If I could pick a third it would be Supertramp's Crime Of The Century. It's kind of weird that I discovered Dark Side.. and Crime Of The Century just when both bands had released new albums back in 1979 in The Wall and Breakfast In America repectively. I remember because while all my friends were all wanting to hear the new releases by these two bands I was more interested in playing Dark Side and Crime because they both appealed to me more.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2014 at 19:49
I guess if I were to pick a few prog rock albums that have been most important to me, they would be the following:

Genesis: Wind & Wuthering

Marillion: Brave

Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon

Yes: Close To The Edge

Gentle Giant: Three Friends (not much of a GG fan anymore, but this was important album for me in the early stages of my prog rock journey)

King Crimson: Beat (the first KC album I heard and it completely blew my mind)

Rush: Grace Under Pressure (still one of my favorite Rush albums next to Power Windows, Signals, Moving Pictures, and Permanent Waves)

Edited by Mirror Image - July 01 2014 at 19:49
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2014 at 23:57
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. I was very young, but a friend of mine, who was oddly on top of music for his age got it and we listened to it. I didn't like it. Later when I got to high school I bought Abacab. Another friend reminded me of the Lamb and really recommended it. I'd just melt into my bean bag after school and listen to it, sometimes with earphones or sometimes not. It was a fabulous source of escapism during my teenage years.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2014 at 01:05
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Maybe not ones that were on your radar but there were a few others such as:

Eloy-Silent cries and mighty echoes 1979
UK-Danger Money 1979
Genesis-Duke 1980
Rush-Permanent Waves-1980
Yes-Drama- 1980
Camel- Nude 1981
Rush-Moving Pictures- 1981
King Crimson-Discipline- 1981
"       "   -Beat 1982
Peter Gabriel-Security-1982
Marillion-Script for a Jester's Tear 1983

I expected I would get a list from someone but at the time there was no internet and the radio in the UK was utter sh*t excluding the Friday rock show and Radio Caroline. Marillion suddenly had a hit though and I started to take notice as they were on Top Of The PopsWink

Edited by richardh - July 02 2014 at 01:05
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2014 at 11:33

Looks like most people listed albums that have personal sentimental or nostalgic meaning, same goes for me I suppose. Can't name one but I can pick different ones from different time periods:

70s - 'Song for America' because it was the first time I dove into the back-catalog of a band and discovered non-FM radio music had a lot to offer.

80s - 'Misplaced Childhood'. Why? read the review.

90s - Kate Bush 'The Dreaming'. An 80s album I got totally hooked on in the 90s.

00s - Green Carnation 'The Quiet Offspring'. Was great for working out and also good mood music. Played the crap out of this one for several years.

10s - Smell of Incense 'Through the Gates of Deeper Slumber'. A great album to just get lost in.

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2014 at 11:33
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

The Wall methinks. I listened to that album incessantly for two years and it got me listening to music that was more intellectually loaded and with a wider array of styles.

That was the first and only prog album my mom ever bought for meshe described it as being hit in the head with a board over and over again

The Wall is probably the most important prog album for me because it was the album that got me into prog rock. I didn't realise what prog was at the time (I as 12) I just thought it was very 'interesting' and appealing and a departure form te endless heavy metal I was listening to at the time. I liked anger being expressed in a more subtle way that was absent from metal. It was the first prog album my mum bought me too.. She went on to buy me others as presents at my request.

It's by no means my fave prog album, of course. That award goes to Rush ESL I guess, or maybe Genesis - Trick of the tail. It was when I heard these albums I went full time prog...
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
threaz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2014 at 15:03
Definitely one of the Floyds' album.Let's put Meddle here, the one I love most. It got me into progressive music and I'm really grateful for that happening to me. Since then, I have discovered so many diffrent prog music which, in many ways, seems better and more gripping that classic PF sound. So that, it's rather sentimental value. it's great to return to WYWH and listen, what has brought me here :)

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2014 at 22:46
ITCOTCK.....what else in 1969...?
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2014 at 22:59
2112 for rescuing my view on music in general.
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2014 at 23:31
KC's Discipline.

Other good contenders: Zappa's One Size Fits All, UK's debut, SB's The Kindness Of Strangers, & Genesis' The Lamb...
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2014 at 01:06
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

ITCOTCK.....what else in 1969...?
Ummaguma and More ?
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>