Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most Overrated Band of the 'Big Six'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 23>
Poll Question: Who is the most overrated band of the 'Big Six'?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
73 [35.96%]
26 [12.81%]
28 [13.79%]
20 [9.85%]
37 [18.23%]
19 [9.36%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2023 at 05:13
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

But it’s a clear enough indication that in the real world VdGG is still an obscure band, that very few know about.

Not quite so according to the number of ratings on RYM and PA.

On RYM:
Pawn Hearts - 7,656  
H to He - 5,116  
Godbluff - 4,833  
Still Life - 3,635

Edited by David_D - May 01 2023 at 05:19
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2023 at 05:20
All of the albums in the Avant Prog section are overrated in my view, but that's only because I haven't found any that I like so far, although I'll Keep On Trying. Tongue
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2023 at 05:55
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

All of the albums in the Avant Prog section are overrated in my view, but that's only because I haven't found any that I like so far, although I'll Keep On Trying. Tongue

The Avant section?  Prog Archive's favored son and class pet. Avant scratches the itch of those Proggers furthest removed from pop sensibilities.  Avant albums consistently rank higher in the Collaborator year end rankings than in the PA popular ratings.  

Although I like several Avant bands, I empathize with you Paul.  I agree.  Avant prog is overrated amongst prog-heads.  Yet, it's largely ignored by the general music buying public.  Good luck in your quest for the lost time signature. Wink
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2023 at 06:30
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

But it’s a clear enough indication that in the real world VdGG is still an obscure band, that very few know about.

On RYM:
Pawn Hearts - 7,656  
H to He - 5,116  
Godbluff - 4,833  
Still Life - 3,635
These are the sort of anomalities that sometimes occur in music obsessive communities. Look at Wobbler, a little over 10 000 monthly listeners, but at PA they're seemingly "more popular" than Dream Theater - who's got more than 1,5 million monthly listeners (10 000 is not even 1% of that).

-At RYM all of Black Midi's three albums got over 20 000 ratings each (placed 5, 7 and 2 in their respective year of release charts, but the last time I saw them, they played in a club/venue with a maximum 500 guest-capacity. Not unlike VdGG.  

Edited by Saperlipopette! - May 01 2023 at 06:32
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2023 at 06:36
Times change.

In 1972, I had ELP (all albums), one JT, and the 2 early Yes albums.

There was nothing to consider "over-rated" in their work. They were original and they created some very nice and challenging material that messed up your mind really good. I did not get into Genesis, KC until later, and PF was nice, and played, but we only had the 2 early albums and they were nice, but very poppy, although I would consider it all very "anti-pop" since Syd's lyrics did not fit the mold of the regular pop song, and neither did it instill any ... appreciation ... by fans, until much later when he was inducted to the level of ... something or other!

In 2022, I have all these, and find that some of them are "over-rated", though I do not use that on ELP at all, since their appreciation for music, and difficult material, was always done on the stage as well, and I never thought of some of their work as anything else other than "classical" ... the kind that the progressive folks refuse to acknowledge and prefer to use fake synths instead to create cardboard imagery. There is no cardboard imagery in ELP ... compared to the Ian material telling stories, some of which you would not care about anyway, but the song was nice to listen to, and the early Yes material which showed an interesting flow, that burst out in "Fragile" and then "Close to the Edge".

Many folks today will consider a lot of these things "over-rated" because their listening ability can not pass the muster beyond the hit mentality and the few minutes format. As such, the comments by a lot of folks here, really sound petty, and silly, and bizarre. It's like you can not trash my favorite, you shcum.

The main issue I have with the "over-rated" bs, is that the criteria for it is just a personal opinion, not anything based on fact. Melody Maker made a lot of these bands famous for over-rating their work, but then, they were about helping the record company sell stuff, for which they could get even more advertising from them, and bring in some good money! Thus, you knew that the bands were usually given a better rating than it should have, but --- all in all --- it meant well for the band, although I do think that Genesis went out of their way to rip off a couple of European bands, and then call it their own ... which MM would not touch with a feather brick! It didn't want to give any credence to any European band at the time, because it took away from the precious sales of these English bands!

I wish we would look at a lot of this material as the ART that it deserves to be. It's not just coincidence that something lasts over 50 years and is still remembered and appreciated, but some folks here have to step up and trash it, because it wasn't their bag. So what? You may not like Picasso, but he will live a lot longer than you and your ideas with his work ... so why not suck it up and realize that sometimes, a band, or two, deserve a little more credit for their work than the trash they are getting here.

I'm not exactly a fan of Ian Anderson, or Jethro Tull (after MIAG), but I will never deny him the ability to write lyrics that are very strong, and carry a lot of their material ... I do think that his "ego" got in the way some and it took away some of the magic of the band, but that is another story ... but no longer could he ever write about the "passion" or the "hare and his spectacles". Kinda weird for me that someone has that ability and they waste it ... their ability to do another "L. Frank Baum" wasted by the comments made in the media about how stupid that or this or that was! A writer, painter, and even true musician ... has to withstand that if they want to become more than just a slave to commerciality! I don't think Ian succeeded at that well, and neither did Genesis, Yes, King Crimson and even Pink Floyd, that could never over come the behemoth and monster they created and continue trying to reinvent it exactly the same to our bored eyes and ears.

There is no such thing as "over-rated" since tomorrow, it will be considered different ... but the Stravinsky's and Debussy's of the world will flick a finger at you ... they made it, and survived and are loved ... endlessly by many folks ... while you bitch that you hate Beethoven and Mozart.

It just seems fruitless, and senseless!

Edited by moshkito - May 01 2023 at 06:36
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2023 at 07:31

On RYM:
Pawn Hearts - 7,656  
H to He - 5,116  
Godbluff - 4,833  
Still Life - 3,635
These are the sort of anomalities that sometimes occur in music obsessive communities. Look at Wobbler, a little over 10 000 monthly listeners, but at PA they're seemingly "more popular" than Dream Theater - who's got more than 1,5 million monthly listeners (10 000 is not even 1% of that).

-At RYM all of Black Midi's three albums got over 20 000 ratings each (placed 5, 7 and 2 in their respective year of release charts, but the last time I saw them, they played in a club/venue with a maximum 500 guest-capacity. Not unlike VdGG.  

How much to weight the numbers of ratings online is surely a quite important and interesting discussion, and I think too that one has to be investigative in each case concerning their significance.

Edited by David_D - May 01 2023 at 09:27
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2023 at 09:28
I looked to see if youtube reviewer Anthony Fantano (The Needle Drop) has reviewed black midi albums, fully expecting that he has, and yes indeed he has. He is a very significant influencer, and he gets recommendations from certain niche. I read before on various recent Swans albums comments people saying things like, "Let's face it, guess most of us are here thanks to Fantano." I've only watched one of his videos -- my 16 year old son who listens mostly to classical and game soundtrack music knew of him too when I mentioned him. He does review the kinds of music I seem to be most into these days from when I have looked him up, and that music tends to be very popular at rateyourmusic and in reddit communities. On the other hand, he reviews so very much that it would be hard for me not to be into a lot of the same music.

Edited by Logan - May 01 2023 at 09:28
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2023 at 09:39
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I looked to see if youtube reviewer Anthony Fantano (The Needle Drop) has reviewed black midi albums, fully expecting that he has, and yes indeed he has. He is a very significant influencer, and he gets recommendations from certain niche. I read before on various recent Swans albums comments people saying things like, "Let's face it, guess most of us are here thanks to Fantano." I've only watched one of his videos -- my 16 year old son who listens mostly to classical and game soundtrack music knew of him too when I mentioned him. He does review the kinds of music I seem to be most into these days from when I have looked him up, and that music tends to be very popular at rateyourmusic and in reddit communities. On the other hand, he reviews so very much that it would be hard for me not to be into a lot of the same music.

The guy's got a very diverse music taste, I can certainly respect that. Smile
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2023 at 09:45
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

The Avant section?  Prog Archive's favored son and class pet. Avant scratches the itch of those Proggers furthest removed from pop sensibilities.  Avant albums consistently rank higher in the Collaborator year end rankings than in the PA popular ratings.  

Although I like several Avant bands, I empathize with you Paul.  I agree.  Avant prog is overrated amongst prog-heads.  Yet, it's largely ignored by the general music buying public.  Good luck in your quest for the lost time signature. Wink

Not sure about this, as I know lots of people here who love kinds of pop music (as a genre term) and popular music. In PA, Kate Bush has experimental, progressive and art qualities, but she also has been a very popular artist oftwhat is considered to be pop genre music. I love her and Bjork, and Bjork I've heard on the radio many times (first when I was working in Japan). Those are quirky artists, and I think what a lot of avant-prog oriented people like is quirky, often quirky art pop and quirky art rock. Weyes Blood is commonly very easy-listening, yet I know various people who like avant-prog here who love her music (I'm one of them).

I would say that Prog generally is ignored by the masses. Various of the big six still sell big numbers (I don't tend to think of Pink Floyd as Prog per se), and while Pink Floyd is mainstream (again with experimental qualities), I don't recall hate for it from avant-proggers. In fact it has avant qualities and avant (or just plain experimental) tracks.

I have mostly compared PA with rateyourmusic, and I find that here in the charts is where you find much higher ratings for modern Neo-Prog and melodic Prog generally than there, where say, Swans rates very high with big numbers, and black midi etc. What I have found is that certain bands fanbases have spammed the album pages with ratings and reviews to boost the rating and ranking here, and we have had a lot of abuse. I don't think it's much in PA, certainly past the classic prog years, that have got much attention by the general music buying public (some of the bands included in metal have been popular, and some in Crossover....). I actually find that my tastes commonly align more with those at rateyourmusic and that gets much higher numbers of people rating the music I love.

Edited by Logan - May 01 2023 at 09:50
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2023 at 12:39

On RYM:
Pawn Hearts - 7,656  
H to He - 5,116  
Godbluff - 4,833  
Still Life - 3,635

How much to weight the numbers of ratings online is surely a quite important and interesting discussion, and I think too that one has to be investigative in each case concerning their significance.
I don't see though any anomalities about VdGG rating numbers on RYM. I've seen them increasing gradually over many years, similarily to those on PA just much more in the recent years. They are neither particularly high comparing to those of The Big Six or other popular albums.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2023 at 12:49
^ I just mean that they seem more popular or "bigger" on places such as PA and RYM. Not that something is wrong or false. One may get the impression that VdGG has infact "grown more popular than ELP" because we're in a bubble where that appears to be true. But outside of the bubble(s) ELP has almost 20 times more listeners still. But VdGG are more popular among people that are obsessive with music - which of course counts for something.

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2023 at 13:25

^ I just mean that they seem more popular or "bigger" on places such as PA and RYM. Not that something is wrong or false. One may get the impression that VdGG has infact "grown more popular than ELP" because we're in a bubble where that appears to be true. But outside of the bubble(s) ELP has almost 20 times more listeners still. But VdGG are more popular among people that are obsessive with music - which of course counts for something.

good point

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2023 at 20:48
Who decided that THOSE were the "Big Six"?

I would argue that the big six should be the most commercially successful bands of the original prog era.

That would make the list

Jethro Tull
ELP
Rush
Yes
Pink Floyd
Mike Oldfield

If we're talking about the modern era and popularity of classic bands then it would probably be:

Pink Floyd
King Crimson
Yes
Genesis
Jethro Tull
Rush

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2023 at 21:01
The dichotomy here appears to be that despite being voted the most overrated band, ELP don't seem to be very highly rated 'round here.

Edited by Hugh Manatee - May 01 2023 at 21:02
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2023 at 21:06
^ That is funny.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2023 at 21:29
Originally posted by Hugh Manatee Hugh Manatee wrote:

The dichotomy here appears to be that despite being voted the most overrated band, ELP don't seem to be very highly rated 'round here.

Perhaps the lowest rated of the Big Six presented but still several albums in the PA top 250

#85 - ELP debut
#179 - Brain Salad Surgery
#203 - Trilogy

if we had a top 500 then Tarkus would surely be on it with a 4.07 score from 2015 ratings

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2023 at 21:40
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Perhaps the lowest rated of the Big Six presented but still several albums in the PA top 250

#85 - ELP debut
#179 - Brain Salad Surgery
#203 - Trilogy

if we had a top 500 then Tarkus would surely be on it with a 4.07 score from 2015 ratings

Questions:

Is that why ELP are considered overated by so many?

By what measure is something considered overrated?

Isn't this poll no more than a vield personal attack on other peoples opinions?

Does it matter?

I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2023 at 23:00

Somewhat. But ELP were once very influential, and "always" one of the big progbands. At one point maybe they were prog rock's biggest stars? They are obviously loved by many, and clearly disliked by many as well. The dislikers consider them to be overrated because of their (fading) position and status. It's naturally reflected in the ratings here - which there are many of. I try not to use the overrated-term too often. If I were to I'd rather be using it about Brain Salad Surgery over Acqua Fragile's Mass-Media Stars. BSS is surely impressive at times. I guess (or maybe I'm just writing that to appear to have balanced wievs). But music is art not sports, and it leaves me cold (+I find Karn Evil9 headache inducing). M-MS however is one of the worst/annoying albums I can remember having heard. But nobody really cares about it anyway. It's already overlooked and poorly rated.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2023 at 02:40

I presume that is for streaming, and if so, you don't think that the total number of listenings to VdGG when including all media, like vinyl and CD, can be relatively seen much higher and come closer to that of ELP?

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2023 at 02:47

ELP is overrated because it's underrated. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 23>