Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 201202203204205 525>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2018 at 11:51
^ After the shark fight on the Whitesnake thread, I also re-acquainted myself with some of the early stuff by Lord David of Coverdale today.

Northwinds - David Coverdale (wonderfully soulful blues rock)
Snakebite EP/Trouble/Lovehunter/Come and Get it/Live in the Heart of the City - Whitesnake

Despite the odd dodgy sexual politics and lyrics, the albums stand up remarkably well - with a nice blend of Purple/Free and hints of Zeppelin and some great twin guitar reminiscent of Wishbone Ash at their best. I can understand why they might not have clicked with some American rock fans at the time - a bit too gritty, working class and urban - not the flash, glossy style favoured in the early 80s.

Nice seeing you keeping up with the Sibelius! I'm trying to judge which conductor/orchestra does them best for my ears. I think I'll have to go up to the loft soon and dig out the Sibelius 2 record I liked so much to see who it was by. Rattle and the CBSO sound good, but I also like the Halle - but often the pacing is different to what I remember!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2018 at 13:35
England - Garden Shed
XTC - Apple Venus
Egg - The Polite Force
Deerhoof - Apple O
Guided By Voices - Do The Collapse

But the day is young so we'll see what's next!!!
FUGAZI86 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FUGAZI86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2018 at 15:11
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2018 at 21:56
AC/DC - Highway to Hell
Judas Priest - British Steel
Joe Satriani - Unstoppable Momentum
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2018 at 23:12
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

^ After the shark fight on the Whitesnake thread, I also re-acquainted myself with some of the early stuff by Lord David of Coverdale today.

Northwinds - David Coverdale (wonderfully soulful blues rock)
Snakebite EP/Trouble/Lovehunter/Come and Get it/Live in the Heart of the City - Whitesnake

Despite the odd dodgy sexual politics and lyrics, the albums stand up remarkably well - with a nice blend of Purple/Free and hints of Zeppelin and some great twin guitar reminiscent of Wishbone Ash at their best. I can understand why they might not have clicked with some American rock fans at the time - a bit too gritty, working class and urban - not the flash, glossy style favoured in the early 80s.

Nice seeing you keeping up with the Sibelius! I'm trying to judge which conductor/orchestra does them best for my ears. I think I'll have to go up to the loft soon and dig out the Sibelius 2 record I liked so much to see who it was by. Rattle and the CBSO sound good, but I also like the Halle - but often the pacing is different to what I remember!
Never heard those Coverdale solos, I was watching them from wikisites yesterday, but decided listen Trouble. As I said in that quite ridicilous thread, I haven´t ever been the biggest Coverdale/Whitesnake-fan. But I have liked his voice always, Whitesnake really was respected in Finland among Purple, Zeppelin, Uriah Heep, Nazareth in the early eighties, so I also listened those early Whitesnake albums then, also Trouble sounded good again for a long time. Also I think Coverdale made fine job in Purple after Gillan. Anyway have to listen also those Coverdale solos.

I am really a amateur in Classical music, can´t say which orchestras or conductor´s are the best. I´ve got few Sibelius-vinyls, for example Symphonies 2 & 5. Both have Berliner Philharmoniker, the second one has Otto Kamu as director, the Fifth Karajan (I think he´s really respected). Other symphonies are in cassette, so don´t remember their orchestras or directors. Going to listen all his symphonies, I also think I will listen someday Mussorgsky´s Boris Godynov some of these days when my work hasn´t begun, because it takes time.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2018 at 09:15
Sonic Youth | EVOL
Sonic Youth | Confusion is Sex
Sonic Youth | SYR6: Koncertas Stan Brakhage
Magazine | The Correct Use of Soap
Amen Dunes | Love
Amen Dunes | Through Donkey Jaw
Amen Dunes | Cowboy Worship EP
Animal Collective | Campfire Songs
Faust | IV
Julian Cope | Fried
Klaus Schulze | Moondawn
The Blue Sign Factory | The Slow Magnet EP
Fear | The Record
Joni Mitchell | Don Juan’s Reckless Daughter
Liars | They Threw us all in a Trench and Stuck a Monument on Top

Edited by HolyMoly - March 06 2018 at 12:44
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
omgitshadzija View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omgitshadzija Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2018 at 10:11
Porcupine Tree - Fear Of A Blank Planet
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2018 at 11:20
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Sonic Youth | EVOL
Sonic Youth | Confusion is Sex
Sonic Youth | SYR6: Koncertas Stan Brakhage
Magazine | The Correct Use of Soap
Faust | IV
You seem to have some SY´s in listening! Evol, Sister, Washing Machine and ATL are my faves from them! In SYR`s 1,2,3,6 & 7. Also those Magazine & Faust albums are my faves to them!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2018 at 11:23
Offering: Paris Theatre Dejazet 1987
Magazine: Secondhand Daylight
the 4 Seasons: the Genuine Imitation Life Gazette
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2018 at 12:41
Secondhand Daylight is my fav from Magazine. I played that one a few days ago.

On the Sonic Youth front, I just picked up their “Silver Session for Jason Knuth” CD, so that got me listening to them again :D

Nice to see Offering on your list too. I only have one of their albums but it’s quite good. Hard to go wrong with Vander.

Edited by HolyMoly - March 06 2018 at 12:43

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2018 at 14:01
Yesterday and today....

Yes - Songs From Tsongas
Anthony Phillips - The Meadows of Englewood
Bruce Springsteen - Prodigal Son at the Shrine 17/11/90
Deke Leonard - Iceberg
IQ - Subterranea
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
OMD - Architecture and Morality
Lifesigns - Cardington
Magnum - Lost on the Road to Eternity
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
FUGAZI86 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FUGAZI86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2018 at 21:12

ANORAKNOPHOBIA
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2018 at 21:32
Steve Vai - Passion & Warfare
Bela Fleck & The Flecktones - Rocket Science
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2018 at 22:31
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Secondhand Daylight is my fav from Magazine. I played that one a few days ago.

On the Sonic Youth front, I just picked up their “Silver Session for Jason Knuth” CD, so that got me listening to them again :D

Nice to see Offering on your list too. I only have one of their albums but it’s quite good. Hard to go wrong with Vander.
Silver Sessions has been the album I`ve listened least from Sonic Youth...It´s ok, but I think you know how they made it? Other not really a fav of me is In the Fishtank 9.

To me it seems Offering is really Vander`s sideproject where he can do all the things he ever wanted. Anyway shorter pieces in that live are just fantastic, but in longer I was little bored in some moments. I prefer lot more Magma, but of course Offering is interesting too.

Secondhand was as great as other their albums, going to definitely listen it again!

Have you heard that 4 Seasons album? If interested Pet Sounds-kind of genius stuff of sixties, that is highly recommended! I listened it first time yesterday, I think I have to listen it quite many times to open fully.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 00:30
Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Emerson, Lake and Palmer 
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 02:54
Astrodome - II
La Coscienza di Zeno - Il Giro del Cappio
Celeste - Principe di un Giorno
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 10:55
Caravan: All Over You
XTC: English Settlement
Nick Cave & Warren Ellis: War Machine (A Netflix Original Film)
Gong: You
the Jam: In the City
omgitshadzija View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omgitshadzija Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 11:28

Yes - Fragile 

Van der Graaf Generator - H to He,  Who am the Only One 

Van der Graaf Generator - The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 16:51
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Yesterday and today....

Yes - Songs From Tsongas
Anthony Phillips - The Meadows of Englewood
Bruce Springsteen - Prodigal Son at the Shrine 17/11/90
Deke Leonard - Iceberg
IQ - Subterranea
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
OMD - Architecture and Morality
Lifesigns - Cardington
Magnum - Lost on the Road to Eternity
Nice to see some OMD on here! I only got into them a year ago or so but that album in particular is really artful and enjoyable.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2018 at 16:54
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Have you heard that 4 Seasons album? If interested Pet Sounds-kind of genius stuff of sixties, that is highly recommended! I listened it first time yesterday, I think I have to listen it quite many times to open fully.
i have not heard of it! I put it on my list of things to check out. Thanks!

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 201202203204205 525>