FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Freedom" thread or something

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 201202203204205 294>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 09:54
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Well in this context, calling it a failure and saying it doesn't work would be the same thing.

You act as though I'm reluctant to give proof, or as if I couldn't replace whatever you call your particular political philosophy with libertarianism in that statement and throw the same argument back at you.

Let's go back to my Nader example.  What I'm saying is that when I look at that model, Nader got a problem fixed by getting legislation passed.  Then along come Reagan.  He deregulates, and is basically undoing Nader's life work.  Then we have crash after crash after crash of America's economy.  So what I'm saying is that based on these events, I am making the assumption that deregulating causes problems, whereas setting up proper legislation (as Nader helped to do) can fix problems.  I'm saying that the problems we have in America today are due to deregulation and improper legislation.  The answer to this problem is not "no government" or "no regulations at all" as Rob and Jacob seem to want.  The answer is to set up proper legislation rather than improper legislation.  I'm saying I can point to models for this in other countries and throughout history and say "see, this works", whereas the Libertarian idea of a "free market" is non-existent, and you cannot do the same.  Therefore the burden of proof is on you.  Then Rob comes along and says "you can't use that argument.  Saying 'the burden of proof is on you' doesn't prove that the free market doesn't work."  And the cycle begins again.  And then I start calling people idiots.  That's how this got to the tense point we are at now.
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 09:56

This is off topic but, how can you possible give motW's Part the Second 2 stars and Malmsteen's Rising Force 5?

Haha.  I don't want to argue about music any more.  You may have noticed I haven't written a review in a long time, nor have I really participated in any of the other threads on this forum.  I poke my head in and read occasionally and go "yup, everyone's saying the same things they've always been saying." 

I like what I like.  And I've found other people that do too.  Music is like people.  Every person is loved by someone and loathed by someone else.  No one is unlovable, and no one is perfect.  Same with music.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 10:00
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

Well in this context, calling it a failure and saying it doesn't work would be the same thing.

You act as though I'm reluctant to give proof, or as if I couldn't replace whatever you call your particular political philosophy with libertarianism in that statement and throw the same argument back at you.

Let's go back to my Nader example.  What I'm saying is that when I look at that model, Nader got a problem fixed by getting legislation passed.  Then along come Reagan.  He deregulates, and is basically undoing Nader's life work.  Then we have crash after crash after crash of America's economy.  So what I'm saying is that based on these events, I am making the assumption that deregulating causes problems, whereas setting up proper legislation (as Nader helped to do) can fix problems.  I'm saying that the problems we have in America today are due to deregulation and improper legislation.  The answer to this problem is not "no government" or "no regulations at all" as Rob and Jacob seem to want.  The answer is to set up proper legislation rather than improper legislation.  I'm saying I can point to models for this in other countries and throughout history and say "see, this works", whereas the Libertarian idea of a "free market" is non-existent, and you cannot do the same.  Therefore the burden of proof is on you.  Then Rob comes along and says "you can't use that argument.  Saying 'the burden of proof is on you' doesn't prove that the free market doesn't work."  And the cycle begins again.  And then I start calling people idiots.  That's how this got to the tense point we are at now.

Ha. This discussion isn't tense. Not to be obtuse, but can you point me to what Nader fixed that Reagan deregulated to cause a problem?

Yeah, and we can all point to failures of regulation. That's not going to establish anything. The Burden of proof is silly outside of scientific/logical circles anyway.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 10:01

This is off topic but, how can you possible give motW's Part the Second 2 stars and Malmsteen's Rising Force 5?

Haha.  I don't want to argue about music any more.  You may have noticed I haven't written a review in a long time, nor have I really participated in any of the other threads on this forum.  I poke my head in and read occasionally and go "yup, everyone's saying the same things they've always been saying." 

I like what I like.  And I've found other people that do too.  Music is like people.  Every person is loved by someone and loathed by someone else.  No one is unlovable, and no one is perfect.  Same with music.

You can love whatever you want. It just seems like you're passing on Kate Upton for Eleanor Roosevelt.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 10:03

You can love whatever you want. It just seems like you're passing on Kate Upton for Eleanor Roosevelt.

Maybe Kate Upton doesn't have a nice personality.  Maybe she can't carry on a good conversation.  Maybe if you started talking to Eleanor Roosevelt you'd find she's very deep and you could talk to her for hours.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 10:04
Going back to what I think Gerinski mentioned about undeveloped countries, those that are in really terrible situations aren't really a good example for anything. On one hand, they lack strong structures and legislation and they are more or less lawless, and the powerful and wealthy abuse and keep the country in misery. On the other hand, in many if not most cases there ARE governments that are so powerful and corrupt that they end up being just thug highly-paid enforcers for those rich and powerful.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 10:08

Ha. This discussion isn't tense. Not to be obtuse, but can you point me to what Nader fixed that Reagan deregulated to cause a problem?

Yeah, and we can all point to failures of regulation. That's not going to establish anything. The Burden of proof is silly outside of scientific/logical circles anyway.

It's tense between me and Rob and Jacob.  Mostly because they are inside of a paradigm they can't see outside of.  Inside their paradigm, all government is bad.  No problem can be solved through governing inside of their paradigm.  Therefore any solution that is ever proposed that involves governing is invalid, according to them.  That creates some serious tension when you're not living inside of that paradigm.

You seem more reasonable, however.  We may not agree on what "proper" vs. "improper" legislation would be, but you don't seem to subscribe to this idea that government is bad, nor that the ideal is to have a minimum of legislature.  Would that be a fair assessment?  For me, saying "I think the government should be small" is like saying, from within a multi-billion dollar industry, that the infrastructure of said industry should be small.  Define small, and show me how it's going to work, and use examples where it has worked in the past and then we can talk.  See what I'm saying?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 10:14

Maybe Kate Upton doesn't have a nice personality.  Maybe she can't carry on a good conversation.  Maybe if you started talking to Eleanor Roosevelt you'd find she's very deep and you could talk to her for hours.

I was speaking only in terms of physicality because clearly, motW has a less vapid personality than Malmsteen.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 10:18

It's tense between me and Rob and Jacob.  Mostly because they are inside of a paradigm they can't see outside of.  Inside their paradigm, all government is bad.  No problem can be solved through governing inside of their paradigm.  Therefore any solution that is ever proposed that involves governing is invalid, according to them.  That creates some serious tension when you're not living inside of that paradigm.

If you want to bash them, then at least do it when addressing them. I'm not interested.

You seem more reasonable, however.  We may not agree on what "proper" vs. "improper" legislation would be, but you don't seem to subscribe to this idea that government is bad, nor that the ideal is to have a minimum of legislature.  Would that be a fair assessment?  For me, saying "I think the government should be small" is like saying, from within a multi-billion dollar industry, that the infrastructure of said industry should be small.  Define small, and show me how it's going to work, and use examples where it has worked in the past and then we can talk.  See what I'm saying?

I see what you're saying, but I'm probably far and away the most radical one in this thread in terms of my anti-government hatred. It can be tempered by a similar hatred for the interests of corporations which may be what's giving you that impression?
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 10:20
How would you deal with conflicts in a Libertarian state? without laws and regulations to refer to, it would be impossible for juries and judges to tell who is right and wrong and why except by saying 'because I say so, so shut up'
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 10:20
An important point here is that in classical/neo classical economics, equilibrium was envisaged in conditions of perfect competition in a free market.   Unfortunately, like lots of other things to be found in economic textbooks, perfect competition only exists in theory.  It is virtually impossible to ensure conditions of perfect competition will sustain in perpetuity.   Hence in practice many of the advantages of free markets will probably not accrue and only push the state closer to a robber baron set up.  If businessmen really believe so fervently in free markets, they ought not to ever form cartels or associations to lobby their case and they ought to voluntarily desist from monopolistic practices.  But businessmen only believe in one thing in reality and that is profit.  And profit motive does not by itself lead to equilibrium.  Or it might in the extremely distant future. In other words, the long run.  And in the long run, we are all dead anyway.  

What is certainly desirable, though, is to as far as possible limit restrictions on business to those that go to secure the health and safety of consumers and protect the environment from substantial damage.  In India we have duty tinkering to push car makers to make more diesel cars or more 'small cars' (which is broad enough to include compact UVs and not just mini cars).   That kind of legislation is messy and does not provide a stable environment for business and should be avoided.  
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 10:24
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

How would you deal with conflicts in a Libertarian state? without laws and regulations to refer to

My understanding is that every relationship is contract based.  There would be private arbiters to settle disputes.

I guess there's an implicit law that everyone has to honor contracts.

I'm not the right person to be answering because I have no idea how it's supposed to work either.  LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 10:31

How would you deal with conflicts in a Libertarian state? without laws and regulations to refer to, it would be impossible for juries and judges to tell who is right and wrong and why except by saying 'because I say so, so shut up'

Why would a Libertarian state be lawless? And isn't that what juries do anyway?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 10:32
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

How would you deal with conflicts in a Libertarian state? without laws and regulations to refer to

My understanding is that every relationship is contract based.  There would be private arbiters to settle disputes.

I guess there's an implicit law that everyone has to honor contracts.

I'm not the right person to be answering because I have no idea how it's supposed to work either.  LOL

That's the one line version I suppose.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 10:34
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

An important point here is that in classical/neo classical economics, equilibrium was envisaged in conditions of perfect competition in a free market.   Unfortunately, like lots of other things to be found in economic textbooks, perfect competition only exists in theory.  It is virtually impossible to ensure conditions of perfect competition will sustain in perpetuity.   Hence in practice many of the advantages of free markets will probably not accrue and only push the state closer to a robber baron set up.  If businessmen really believe so fervently in free markets, they ought not to ever form cartels or associations to lobby their case and they ought to voluntarily desist from monopolistic practices.  But businessmen only believe in one thing in reality and that is profit.  And profit motive does not by itself lead to equilibrium.  Or it might in the extremely distant future. In other words, the long run.  And in the long run, we are all dead anyway.  
Fully agree.
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

What is certainly desirable, though, is to as far as possible limit restrictions on business to those that go to secure the health and safety of consumers and protect the environment from substantial damage.  In India we have duty tinkering to push car makers to make more diesel cars or more 'small cars' (which is broad enough to include compact UVs and not just mini cars).   That kind of legislation is messy and does not provide a stable environment for business and should be avoided.  
I don't agree. There are many things that the majority of the population may find 'desirable' besides health, safety and environment. Personally I prefer to have a regulation where building any higher than 3 stories is forbidden in my village, even if that means that the cheapest appartment you will find in my village costs (say) 200,000 euro instead of 80,000. I prefer to have a regulation where motor vehicles engine exhaust noise is limited. etc etc?
Sometimes manipulating policies in order to encourage desirable traits for a healthy and balanced society or disencouraging undesirable traits are a required tool.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 10:44

I thought that the idea is that in a Libertarian state, instead of the government deciding the laws and regulations applicable to all the population, things would be agreed in contractual base between the directly involved parties, without caring what the indirectly affected people may think about the subject in question. So no 'universal laws' (universal within the State I mean, besides 'don't kill' and 'don't steal') but only inter-party agreements without any consistency among them. What in your agreement with person A is not legal may be legal in mine with person B. This is not a law in my definition.

Edited by Gerinski - July 15 2013 at 10:45
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 11:42

I see what you're saying, but I'm probably far and away the most radical one in this thread in terms of my anti-government hatred. It can be tempered by a similar hatred for the interests of corporations which may be what's giving you that impression?

Well, at least you're balanced - I can work with that.

Imagine you and I are engineers.  Now imagine you and I are trying to work together to design a new engine.  Now imagine one of us believes that internal combustion is immoral.

That's the problem, and that's where the tension comes from.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 11:49

Imagine you and I are engineers.  Now imagine you and I are trying to work together to design a new engine.  Now imagine one of us believes that internal combustion is immoral.

I was just thinking: I can do that analogy better.  Ok, imagine you and I are engineers.  We're INSIDE the car, and it's moving down the highway at 75mph, and we can't stop it.  We're trying to improve the engine of the car while it's moving.  One of us believes internal combustion is immoral, and proceeds to start tearing pieces out of the engine as we're rolling down the highway.

Now maybe you can imagine how I feel about the Libertarian "free market" based way of dealing with our government.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 11:56

I thought that the idea is that in a Libertarian state, instead of the government deciding the laws and regulations applicable to all the population, things would be agreed in contractual base between the directly involved parties, without caring what the indirectly affected people may think about the subject in question. So no 'universal laws' (universal within the State I mean, besides 'don't kill' and 'don't steal') but only inter-party agreements without any consistency among them. What in your agreement with person A is not legal may be legal in mine with person B. This is not a law in my definition.

Ah yes. Well if it's not a law in your definition, then of course it would be a lawless place. But the fact is that a good bit of our current legal system operates in precisely this way and this sort of organization does not preclude the existence of a universal law. Our legal system was built from a much loser and more malleable framework which I do not think has been exactly aided in efficiency by the monopolistic occupation of the State.

I'm not sure how detailed of a response that you want. And I'm not sure how detailed of a response I can give. Which is kind of the point. If a sort of best case mode of operation could just be pointed at, then I wouldn't think that a State system would be all that much more inefficient than a private one (probably more efficient in that case to be honest). I think that this is something that really needs to work its way through the market discovery process. I mean the basis for it would be the structure of private arbitrators currently in work and the current local/state/federal/international interplay except placed on a level based upon competition rather than a hierarchical system.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 12:00

Well, at least you're balanced - I can work with that.

That's the problem, and that's where the tension comes from.

Huh? I suppose you would have to develop your engine, and I would be working on a different sort of design that adheres to my peculiar moral beliefs which seem to be of the obscure bunch that makes a career in engineering to be a peculiar choice.

I was just thinking: I can do that analogy better.  Ok, imagine you and I are engineers.  We're INSIDE the car, and it's moving down the highway at 75mph, and we can't stop it.  We're trying to improve the engine of the car while it's moving.  One of us believes internal combustion is immoral, and proceeds to start tearing pieces out of the engine as we're rolling down the highway.

Now maybe you can imagine how I feel about the Libertarian "free market" based way of dealing with our government.

Can you just tell me exactly what you mean? Your analogies are really confusing me. The best I can surmise is that you're suggesting that I believe that because I find something to be immoral, that I can make a decision which will bring direct harm to you? Not only is that not a Libertarian position, it's also peculiar because having a moral opinion is not unique to Libertarians (fortunately).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 201202203204205 294>