FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Freedom" thread or something

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 209210211212213 294>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2013 at 22:47
I wish I could be that way all the time but I'm not.

David, you are a fine fellow yourself.  Even if we continue to disagree, you maintain my respect. Smile
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2013 at 22:54
Well no one's perfect.   I've owned my home for many years and though it is a blessing in these hard times, it's also a lot of work, and neighbor relations is key to long term peace and quiet.   We've mostly been lucky but occasionally someone comes along who thinks because they own property they can do whatever they please, and to be honest you're absolutely right to the extent that when it came to it, I simply had to handle it myself in my own way.   Let's just say that problem solved itself but if I can find a reasonable solution without the help of others, I take it.

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2013 at 05:19
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

^You say, "of course..." but are you going to try and prove that statement?  Can you explain to me in what way I have an obligation to do something I haven't agreed to do?  Or in what way the government or society has the right to impose their will on me?  There is no "implicit understanding," law and justice are not implicit and you cannot base the right to coercive practices on an "implicit" contract that nobody actually signs and that some people (quite obviously from this thread) do not agree to.
The 'understanding' is not implicit, it is very explicit, it is called the set of laws and they were agreed on your behalf by your ancestors for the simple reason that it would be rather impractical that laws need to be rediscussed with every newly born person. They somehow found it best to established a set of rules which every person living in the community was 'invited' to follow if he wanted to live there. They thought that leaving each person the choice whether he wants to abide by the laws or not was really impractical, if you allowed your neighbours to decide that 'no sorry, I prefer to live outside this set of laws' was going to create a lot of trouble, so they decided that 'you are not forced to follow them, but if you want to live here you have to, otherwise you are free to choose but then go live somewhere else'.

Nobody forces you to live in the State you live in or in the US for that matters. I believe that Nevada has rather low taxes because it gets funds from the gambling taxes, if you go live there and refrain from gambling you will pay low taxes, or you can go live in the Cayman Islands, or to whatever country has laws and taxes you agree best with, or if you don't agree with any laws or taxes then you can still go live in some desert island and fish and collect fruits. Don't expect an hospital when you will be sick though.

I said it before, the laws we have are just the accumulated result of having had to deal with conflicts among humans during all the past history. If there were no conflicts we would have many less laws. Sadly that's not the experience we have had trying to co-exist with one another. Actually a way of having less laws is having more severe ones. In some countries even very small crimes are punished with cutting your hand, so people refrain from any misbehaving and the country does not need a huge catalog of laws to deal with every kind of possible conflict as we have in countries were we try to have more freedom and less severe dogma. It is this freedom which results in needing a lot of laws. 

Edited by Gerinski - July 20 2013 at 05:51
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2013 at 14:14
BTW some other thread reminded me about Christiania in Denmark Copenhagen which might be viewed as an attempt to start a Libertarian community, with little success I should say. I have been there BTW.

Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2013 at 23:41
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

^You say, "of course..." but are you going to try and prove that statement?  Can you explain to me in what way I have an obligation to do something I haven't agreed to do?  Or in what way the government or society has the right to impose their will on me?  There is no "implicit understanding," law and justice are not implicit and you cannot base the right to coercive practices on an "implicit" contract that nobody actually signs and that some people (quite obviously from this thread) do not agree to.
The 'understanding' is not implicit, it is very explicit, it is called the set of laws and they were agreed on your behalf by your ancestors for the simple reason that it would be rather impractical that laws need to be rediscussed with every newly born person. They somehow found it best to established a set of rules which every person living in the community was 'invited' to follow if he wanted to live there. They thought that leaving each person the choice whether he wants to abide by the laws or not was really impractical, if you allowed your neighbours to decide that 'no sorry, I prefer to live outside this set of laws' was going to create a lot of trouble, so they decided that 'you are not forced to follow them, but if you want to live here you have to, otherwise you are free to choose but then go live somewhere else'.

Nobody forces you to live in the State you live in or in the US for that matters. I believe that Nevada has rather low taxes because it gets funds from the gambling taxes, if you go live there and refrain from gambling you will pay low taxes, or you can go live in the Cayman Islands, or to whatever country has laws and taxes you agree best with, or if you don't agree with any laws or taxes then you can still go live in some desert island and fish and collect fruits. Don't expect an hospital when you will be sick though.

I said it before, the laws we have are just the accumulated result of having had to deal with conflicts among humans during all the past history. If there were no conflicts we would have many less laws. Sadly that's not the experience we have had trying to co-exist with one another. Actually a way of having less laws is having more severe ones. In some countries even very small crimes are punished with cutting your hand, so people refrain from any misbehaving and the country does not need a huge catalog of laws to deal with every kind of possible conflict as we have in countries were we try to have more freedom and less severe dogma. It is this freedom which results in needing a lot of laws. 

Your long-dead ancestors can't agree to something on your behalf.  Let's say that, at my birth, my grandparents had pledged me to serve for life in a Hindu temple (just for the sake of illustration).  Do you think it is just to bind me to their decision?

The idea that someone shouldn't have the right to live in a country if they're not willing to do what the government tells them makes the assumption that the government owns the land which they govern; which isn't true.  The government does not own me or my property.  It's mine, and they have no right over it. 
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2013 at 13:54

Your long-dead ancestors can't agree to something on your behalf.  Let's say that, at my birth, my grandparents had pledged me to serve for life in a Hindu temple (just for the sake of illustration).  Do you think it is just to bind me to their decision?

The idea that someone shouldn't have the right to live in a country if they're not willing to do what the government tells them makes the assumption that the government owns the land which they govern; which isn't true.  The government does not own me or my property.  It's mine, and they have no right over it. 

My long dead ancestors decided that murder was wrong.  I don't agree with that.
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2013 at 14:00
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

You think that murder is wrong just because your long-dead ancestors agreed to it?
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2013 at 14:42
I HATE the use of Rand (curse me the realist I know...but limited gov would benefit greatly to just try and distance from Rand) and I also hate that it sums up ALL woes as "obamanomics" but point is still interesting:
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danielhannan/100227375/obamanomics-is-turning-america-into-detroit-ayn-rands-starnesville-come-to-life/

Also a point I think is missed is that, besides the well paid and benefited union workers, and bloated city pensions and etc  isn't part of the problem Detroits failure to adapt? For 40 years now the US auto has struggled to compete with foreign cars and I know yall will say "well bailouts and protectionism just kept the inevitable forces of competition away and it's time to just adjust" but I just don't know...

I really think most of the "woes" we hear about is just the US becoming a service economy and is this inevitable with a free trade world? As a wealthy nation I'm sorry, theories and all be damned, but there is NO way we can compete with even moderately rich nations...and esp much poorer ones (they also dont have to worry about paying health benefits and all sorts of that stuff)

Does trade mean we are destined to be a service economy? I can't see otherwise, and there could be major problems with that, like if college attendance doesn't get curtailed...we already have tons of grads competing for crappy service sector jobs, and if the future really is a small well paid % in healthcare, engineering and tech/IT with the rest in service/wal mart...IDK is the notion of total open free trade really worth it?

tl;dr I get all the theories and see how it makes sense on paper, and obviously has real life benefit, but are the pros of trade: lowest possible prices for all goods, even over the course of time worth the cons: overall drop in the US standard of living??

Edited by JJLehto - July 21 2013 at 14:45
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2013 at 14:46

The government does not own me or my property.  It's mine, and they have no right over it. 
Oeps yeah, your house is your Kingdom, sorry. Just don't forget that consequently your neighbour's house is his Kingdom too. I just hope you get along with each other.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2013 at 14:54
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Does trade mean we are destined to be a service economy? 
Don't fall to that trap, Europe came first, many told us that services were the way forward after having lost the productive competitivity, the truth is that services are not helping much either.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2013 at 15:04

Does trade mean we are destined to be a service economy? 
Don't fall to that trap, Europe came first, many told us that services were the way forward after having lost the productive competitivity, the truth is that services are not helping much either.

...soooooo pretty much I am right? LOL
Sorry if my ramblings made that unclear but I do NOT think the transition is a good thing.
Especially since the US is so massive, maybe smaller countries can make the transition to a high tech economy  but I don't see that as possible here with hundreds of millions of people.

Honestly, in the long run I see a pretty bleak future, esp for the youth. Im a college grad stuck in the service sector but I still have time...future generations may really be in trouble.
And there is really nothing to be "done" this seems inevitable in an open world. The ONLY way I can imagine service sector helping out competitiveness is that the US/Europe become poor enough to compete with other countries, for the lowest way possible.

And I know why trade is technically good, but unless I can be shown why my beliefs are wrong IDK if I can support the idea.
Edit: I do like the idea of getting healthcare out of employers (if you want state or free market IDC) and regulations that are costly, but would that still be enough to keep the US competitive with poorer nations?

Edited by JJLehto - July 21 2013 at 15:06
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2013 at 15:27

Edit: I do like the idea of getting healthcare out of employers (if you want state or free market IDC) and regulations that are costly, but would that still be enough to keep the US competitive with poorer nations?
Healthcare is not paid by employers, it's paid by the employee.
I'm afraid there's no way we US and Europe can remain competitive against emerging countries, except for very specialized fields. We will need to focus in those business areas which can only be done locally. We profited of lesser developed countries for decades, now it's our time to pay back, they deserve progress too.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2013 at 17:12
My wife decorates cakes. 

Awesome

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/p480x480/10163_565991963451189_821844098_n.jpg

Amazing

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/q77/s720x720/1044304_568994546484264_742631080_n.jpg

Cakes

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/p480x480/969765_576273222423063_879698106_n.jpg

Anyway, I met a lesbian today who said she was turned down for her cake because she was to wed a woman.  She was afraid my wife would turn her down also, and asked me if that would be a problem.

We love freedom, and we love profiting from freedom.  Approve

Edited by Epignosis - July 21 2013 at 17:24
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2013 at 17:57

You think that murder is wrong just because your long-dead ancestors agreed to it?

That's exactly my point.  You can't just come along, like a whiny teenager, and say "you're not the boss of me!"  There are reasons that we have these standards.  Thousands of years of reasons.  You want to come along and say "there should be no government - there should be no regulations."  What you basically believe amounts to this: there should be no referees at the Football game - the lineman should be his own referee, the quarterback should be his own referee, the defensive back should be his own referee.  If everyone is just allowed to be their own referee, everything will just work.  But there are years of reasons that have brought us to this point where we decided that referees were needed.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2013 at 18:15

That's exactly my point.  You can't just come along, like a whiny teenager, and say "you're not the boss of me!"  There are reasons that we have these standards.  Thousands of years of reasons.  You want to come along and say "there should be no government - there should be no regulations."  What you basically believe amounts to this: there should be no referees at the Football game - the lineman should be his own referee, the quarterback should be his own referee, the defensive back should be his own referee.  If everyone is just allowed to be their own referee, everything will just work.  But there are years of reasons that have brought us to this point where we decided that referees were needed.

Your criticisms of Libertarianism are poor, and your understanding of Libertarianism is worse.

No, our belief isn't that players should be their own referees (horrible analogy, by the way).
No, our belief isn't that poor people should die.
No, our belief isn't that rich people should make all the rules.
No, our belief isn't that charity is stupid.
No, our belief isn't that greed is awesome.
No, our belief isn't that government is inherently evil.
No, our belief isn't that organizations are bad.
No, our belief isn't that people should f**k other people over.
No, our belief isn't that everybody ought to smoke weed.
No, our belief isn't that people of other opinions are jerks (as you have called us).
No, our belief isn't that Libertarianism solves social problems you want to solve.  It isn't meant to.

Libertarianism states that aggression is always wrong.  That's ultimately it.  Do you agree with that?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 05:53
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Libertarianism states that aggression is always wrong.  That's ultimately it.  Do you agree with that?

That depends on what you mean by "aggression".  Do you have kids?  Not one kid, kids.  If you do, you know that the following is true: they fight.  Achieving peace between multiple kids is very, very hard to do.  And it's not going to come about through wishy washy parents who say "now kids, don't fight."  In my mind, this is the number one problem with Libertarianism - you have a basic truth down there: that "aggression" (depending on what you include in that category) is wrong.  Yes, on a fundamental level I agree with that.  But life is a little more complicated than that.  If you want to achieve peace between the "kids", you can't just say "now come on, let's be nice to each other!"
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 09:57

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

That depends on what you mean by "aggression".  Do you have kids?  Not one kid, kids.  If you do, you know that the following is true: they fight.  Achieving peace between multiple kids is very, very hard to do.  And it's not going to come about through wishy washy parents who say "now kids, don't fight."  In my mind, this is the number one problem with Libertarianism - you have a basic truth down there: that "aggression" (depending on what you include in that category) is wrong.  Yes, on a fundamental level I agree with that.  But life is a little more complicated than that.  If you want to achieve peace between the "kids", you can't just say "now come on, let's be nice to each other!"

As I do not mind defining my terms: Aggression is the initiation of force against a person, his or her property, or the threat of such.

Yes, we have three children.  We're not a "wishy-washy" parents and our kids still fight, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 09:59
What's the implied discipline approach here for parents who are not "wishy-washy"?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 10:25
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

What's the implied discipline approach here for parents who are not "wishy-washy"?

You make an interesting point.  It's never easy.  Every child is different.  However, here is what the Libertarian approach sounds like to me:
So let's keep this to two kids.  I have three as well, but let's stick to a situation with two.  I have a son and a daughter that are almost exactly a year apart.  They are each others' best friends and each others' worst enemies at the very same time.  One situation that has come up multiple times goes something like this: I hear loud noises coming from the two of them and it sounds like fighting.  I go to see what's up, and sure enough they are pushing and hitting each other as they both try to gain control of the same toy.  I snatch the toy away and separate them (which is not an easy task, mind you).  I ask what's going on, how did this start, etc.  I can't get a satisfying answer as to how exactly the whole thing started, nor can I come up with a clear answer as to whom is at fault (it kind of sounds like neither child is exactly Snow White, if you catch my drift).  In the end, I decide that what I should do is put them both in their rooms for a few minutes, and confiscate the toy for a while, because I can't figure out who the toy should go to, and they are both in the wrong for the way they conducted themselves.  Now this works out because I am in authority over both of them, and don't have a dog in this fight, thus I am impartial. 

But my children have a bit of Libertarian in them, and they often think I am unjust.  They don't really bother putting much into their explanation of why they think this is but they just seem very upset that I did anything at all.  Yesterday, my daughter was messing with the drapes and I told her multiple times not to, and eventually because she didn't listen I had her sit in time out for a bit - she made a nasty face and an ugly sound at me because I was so "unjust" in her eyes (very Libertarian of her, I'd say).  They would prefer a Libertarian system where they pay for the authority figure only if they want one, in which case they'd probably never pay for the service in the first place, in which case my son and daughter would fight until one of them died and the other was beat up and bloodied and the toy would probably be broken beyond repair at this point.  But let's just say that my son and daughter were smart enough to decide that they wanted to pay for the service of an authority figure.  Lets say my son chose me, and my daughter chose her mother.  So now we've got the same situation.  But this time I'm not very impartial.  My daughter didn't pay for my services, so why should I care about her?  I just want my son to get control of the toy and for my daughter to be punished for the grievous harm she has inflicted on my client...er, son.  But my wife is fighting for my daughter with equal vigor.  So now, instead of my son and daughter having a fight and me putting a stop to it and giving them a chance to cool down, now the whole family is fighting.  Husband and wife are pitted against each other as well as son and daughter.  How lovely.  Libertarianism is great, isn't it?
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 10:29
Didn't read your post, but Political philosophy v parental philosophy

Kinda different things.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 209210211212213 294>