Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 10:33
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Didn't read your post, but Political philosophy v parental philosophy

Kinda different things.

Yes and no.  Read my post.

Really - the sentiments expressed in this thread remind me very much of my son and daughter.  "Who put you in authority over me?  I didn't agree to that.  I didn't agree to the rules that have been set up.  I shouldn't have to abide by them if I didn't agree to them."
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 10:37
Yeah superficial similarities between arguments can be found everywhere. Not interested.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 10:41

Yeah superficial similarities between arguments can be found everywhere. Not interested.

A family is a miniature society.   So it's a great analogy for political arguments.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 10:44
Look, I've tried other analogies, such as comparing society to the human body with each person being a cell in that body.  But you won't accept any analogy that doesn't support your already formed conclusions.  It's quite a predicament that you've put yourself into, denying the way that reality all around you works.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 10:45
Our children do not pay taxes to us and all of their needs are met by us, the parents.  Therefore we are the authority over them.

My little six-year-old rebel is in the corner as we speak.  Approve
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 10:47
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

A family is a miniature society.   So it's a great analogy for political arguments.

Not really in the way that we talk about society at large. Societies aren't really interrelated, in direct contact with all of its members, existing with a natural power structure, and lots of other kind of important things that makes them quite different.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 10:48

Look, I've tried other analogies, such as comparing society to the human body with each person being a cell in that body.  But you won't accept any analogy that doesn't support your already formed conclusions.  It's quite a predicament that you've put yourself into, denying the way that reality all around you works.

There's way to talk other than analogies. Like you can actually talk about the object itself, as we are all intelligent adults discussing pretty concrete things. Analogies are useful only to model a point. They become detrimental once you start to use the analogy to further a theory.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 11:31
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Our children do not pay taxes to us and all of their needs are met by us, the parents.  Therefore we are the authority over them.

Ahh, see, now you're catching on to what I'm getting at, though you don't even realize it.  Let's say that after your children were grown up...they didn't leave the house.  You might, possibly, want them to give you a portion of their income.  And you might, possibly, call this...a tax.

The "house" is quite like our nation, I believe.  The "children" did not build it.  They didn't pay for it.  Yet they receive its benefits.  This is fine when they are unable to care for themselves, and the parents freely give the benefits of the house to their children.  But once the children are grown, a tax is demanded.  "But I didn't agree to the rules you've set up.  I wasn't consulted on this."  Fine, go live somewhere else.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 11:53
Leaked document reveals somewhat the scope of civilian deaths due to drone attacks in Pakistan.

I'm glad they hate us for our freedom and not stuff like this.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 11:54

Ahh, see, now you're catching on to what I'm getting at, though you don't even realize it.  Let's say that after your children were grown up...they didn't leave the house.  You might, possibly, want them to give you a portion of their income.  And you might, possibly, call this...a tax.

The "house" is quite like our nation, I believe.  The "children" did not build it.  They didn't pay for it.  Yet they receive its benefits.  This is fine when they are unable to care for themselves, and the parents freely give the benefits of the house to their children.  But once the children are grown, a tax is demanded.  "But I didn't agree to the rules you've set up.  I wasn't consulted on this."  Fine, go live somewhere else.

If for some reason my children cannot or do not move out, we won't charge them to stay here.  They are free to contribute if they desire, but we will not force them to do so.  If I make a financial demand upon them, and they meet it, then we no longer maintain the authority of the household. 

The US government is not our master; we are the authority over the government.  For the purpose of your analogy, the government is the child, not the parent.  We pay so that the government can exist.  Without us, there literally would be no government.  And unfortunately, our child is disobedient, sneaky, abusive, wasteful, fraudulent, and puts the interest of its friends above the interest of its home.

No one in this thread has advocated the breaking of the law.  We advocate the changing of the law. 
The "fine, go live somewhere else" doesn't apply because as a citizen, I can vote to change the rules.  So, no, I will not go live somewhere else.  I will remain here, an American, a thorn in the side of tyranny, in the unfaltering hope that we move toward liberty.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 12:00
Ah, but your usage of the analogy does not work.  Government is not an entity, it is an office, much as "parenthood" might be described as an office (though the way we usually use the word does not conjure up this sort of way of thinking).  You can absolutely say that some of those in our history who have held the office of "parent" have actually been children.  I will absolutely agree with such descriptions.  What I will never agree with, however, is the logic that says that because this has happened, we should abolish "parenthood" entirely.

Also, who built the house in your version of the analogy?
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 12:10

Ah, but your usage of the analogy does not work.  Government is not an entity, it is an office, much as "parenthood" might be described as an office (though the way we usually use the word does not conjure up this sort of way of thinking).  You can absolutely say that some of those in our history who have held the office of "parent" have actually been children.  I will absolutely agree with such descriptions.  What I will never agree with, however, is the logic that says that because this has happened, we should abolish "parenthood" entirely.

It was your analogy.  You were the one comparing government to parenthood.  I instead compared government to a disobedient child, which is more accurate, since the people are paying the bills.

Also, who built the house in your version of the analogy?

Construction workers.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 12:16

It was your analogy.  You were the one comparing government to parenthood.  I instead compared government to a disobedient child, which is more accurate, since the people are paying the bills.

Is there any one person you can point to in our country who is paying ALL of the bills?  In other words, is there anyone you can point to who is not able to pay their bills because they are already, and have been for quite some time, benefiting from living in "the house"? 

Yeah, our "house" is falling apart.  It needs lots of work.  But I realize that I have benefited from living in it, whereas you seem to think we can go out and live outside of this "house" and still have the kind of life we've been living.  Or perhaps you are attracted to "Little House on the Prairie", so much so that you want to force everyone else to live that way along with you.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 12:24

Is there any one person you can point to in our country who is paying ALL of the bills?  In other words, is there anyone you can point to who is not able to pay their bills because they are already, and have been for quite some time, benefiting from living in "the house"? 

I can't point to one person in my literal house who is paying all of the bills.  My wife makes cakes and I teach.  Together, we get by, and together, we make the rules for our children.  As for your question, I'm not sure I understand it- it sounds like you are asking two different things.

Yeah, our "house" is falling apart.  It needs lots of work.  But I realize that I have benefited from living in it, whereas you seem to think we can go out and live outside of this "house" and still have the kind of life we've been living.  Or perhaps you are attracted to "Little House on the Prairie", so much so that you want to force everyone else to live that way along with you.

I still have not figured out how Libertarianism means "cave men beating women" and "Little House on the Prairie."  Can you explain how Libertarianism inevitably leads to "uncivilization?"  It's a claim you keep making and implying, but you haven't demonstrated it.

Edited by Epignosis - July 22 2013 at 12:24
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 12:37
I can understand a dream of less Government, but i find it hard to belive it will ever happen. Most people love rules, as long as the rules work their way. Love strong leaders, as long as its the one they belive in, Noone love taxes , but everyone want every benefit they can get from the "system".

Most people belive in Liberty, and free marked, but the thing is, we still want to keep others away from the pie, if it looks like they a taking our share. Free marked in the classical sence, is just not possible anymore, the marked simply do not contain a lot of indepandant suppliers, fairly compeeting against each other.

People will never agree to what freedom is, because the consept of freedom depends on the view.      
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 12:42
If you call yourself a 'Libertarian' because you don't approve the way the current US government is, that's one thing.
Now picture yourself in Europe, say, The Netherlands, Sweden or Switzerland (I will avoid my place Belgium in order not to have biases and because it's a f*king complicated thing to understand). Are you still so much against a government?
Don't mistake things, the fact that we had Milli Vanilli does not consequently mean that all music is fake.
If you are against the way the current US government behaves, say so, do not say you are a Libertarian because of that (unless you are really one and you would despise ANY kind of government).

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 12:57

I can't point to one person in my literal house who is paying all of the bills.  My wife makes cakes and I teach.  Together, we get by, and together, we make the rules for our children.  As for your question, I'm not sure I understand it- it sounds like you are asking two different things.

You ask why I feel Libertarianism leads to "Little House on the Prairie".  But you answered your own question right here.  In order to have the level of society we have now - with sophisticated industry and things like "internet" and "subways" and such - we have to work together.  We can't adhere to this rampant individualism that I see inherent in the brand of Libertarianism you adhere to.  We need each other in order to have this level of sophistication, and I don't see that working without taxes.  You talk about people paying for their police service and being able to choose which service they want.  That was the purpose of my analogy where my daughter pays for my wife's service and my son pays for my service, and then we all end up fighting to no end.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 13:02
Libertarians are not necessarily anarchists.

I myself have never argued for the abolishing of government, only the abolishing of taxation.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 13:08

You ask why I feel Libertarianism leads to "Little House on the Prairie".  But you answered your own question right here.  In order to have the level of society we have now - with sophisticated industry and things like "internet" and "subways" and such - we have to work together.  We can't adhere to this rampant individualism that I see inherent in the brand of Libertarianism you adhere to.  We need each other in order to have this level of sophistication, and I don't see that working without taxes.  You talk about people paying for their police service and being able to choose which service they want.  That was the purpose of my analogy where my daughter pays for my wife's service and my son pays for my service, and then we all end up fighting to no end.

I didn't answer my own question at all (there are plenty of single parents who get by just fine).

There are multitudes of people who work together without being forced to do so.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 13:13
Ayn Rand wasn't a Libertarian. There's nothing inherently individualistic about Libertarianism. Stop using a house analogy. Jesus.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 210211212213214 294>