Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwhat's so special about...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 35>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2013 at 22:57
This is my favourite Pink Floyd album... and perhaps my favourite album of all (though Animals is getting close). Greatly on the strength of Shine On you Crazy Diamond... also perhaps my favourite song of all. Of course, Welcome to the Machine and the title track are stellar too... though Have a Cigar gets somewhat behind.
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2013 at 23:06
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

though Have a Cigar gets somewhat behind.

Not when you when you're enjoying a fat stogie ha ha!

Edited by AlexDOM - December 23 2013 at 23:06
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2013 at 00:21
Good album. Definitely has a lot to offer and can reach a wide variety of listeners. I'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who wholeheartedly dislikes it. I don't listen to it too often anymore, myself. My tastes have gravitated away from PF over the past year, but I still acknowledge that this is a fantastic example of emotional and deep songwriting.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2013 at 02:35
^ I think that word 'emotion' is the key. So much prog is 'cold' but this has warmth and feeling. Technically its not that amazing but it just glows.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2013 at 07:52
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ I think that word 'emotion' is the key. So much prog is 'cold' but this has warmth and feeling. Technically its not that amazing but it just glows.
That works for me....it's easy to listen to.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2013 at 08:33
The flow of W.Y.W.H. is very nice. It's very sad though with all of it's haunting chord voicings. Everything included except for "Have a Cigar" which is a more Bluesy uplifting song. The stories the band have told about the sessions and the memory of Syd Barrett and so on....I believe influenced them to write some very haunting/depressing type chord sequences. A state of dispair/depression or sadness can be a beautiful experience for a musician during a creative process. I believe that energy....(sometimes defined as a negative one), is what inspired the band to write W.Y.W.H.
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2013 at 10:24
I think everything I'd say has already been said - it is probably the most emotional Pink Floyd album and just has this fantastic, unique, minimalist atmosphere which I've grown to love. I think these 2 factors almost click into place because you have room to explore the more sort of spiritual side of it. Also, if you look at the actual music of the album, you'd expect to get bored very quickly (e.g. the 8 or so minute intro on Shine On before the vocals, most of which contains just 4 repeated notes). But the whole thing just rolls over you, and it feels so much quicker than 40-something minutes (apart from Have A Cigar maybe). I sort of agree with Roger Waters, saying that Have A Cigar's lively vocals weren't great for the album. It does sort of upset the mood of the album, but I couldn't imagine it not being there. Also, the album needed something different and more lively to offer to make a more accessible to the public, which certainly worked with the monumental sales. I couldn't see a lot of people buying it if it was all like Shine On. Also, the title track is my absolute favourite Pink Floyd track. Every can relate to it because the lyrics are so ambigious and open to interpretation. It could ultimately be about almost anything! Anyway, I suppose I've said enough now so overall:

Wish You Were Here is an album so much different from any other prog rock album. With all sorts of powerful and subtle emotions spanning across it, laid on various wispy soundscapes. There's always something to discover when listening to it the next time. With that being said, I suppose it's quite difficult to criticise when there isn't much substance, and most of the things you hear and find are what you want to. For example, you can gather all of these sorts of emotions from various places of the album, so you're not looking for what it doesn't offer if that makes sense?

Anyway, great album. I appear to have written way too much now so I'll stop...

Edited by Xonty - April 10 2014 at 12:36
VOTOMS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2013 at 03:10
Overrated. Is my least favorite from my Pink Floyd favorites, 
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2013 at 03:33
Originally posted by VOTOMS VOTOMS wrote:

Overrated. Is my least favorite from my Pink Floyd favorites, 
Your least favourite favourite?  Confused LOL

Happy New Year everyone! Let's have another big album to celebrate. What's so special about In The Court Of The Crimson King?
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2013 at 04:03
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

What's so special about In The Court Of The Crimson King?

Otherworldly : Musically brilliant from start to end (Moonchild improv included), awesome lyrics and that artwork is a masterpiece.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2013 at 07:47
Originally posted by AlexDOM AlexDOM wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

though Have a Cigar gets somewhat behind.

Not when you when you're enjoying a fat stogie ha ha!

I was thinking that most people don't like Roy Harper's delivery that is not about rock'n'roll but about the words themselves!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2013 at 07:51
Originally posted by Xonty Xonty wrote:

I think everything I'd say has already been said - it is probably the most emotional Pink Floyd album and just has this fantastic unique minimalist atmosphere which I've grown to love I think these 2 factors almost click into place because you have room to explore the more sort of spiritual side of it (I know this is sounding pretty pretentious now )

It was "minimalist, because it was the simplest and fastest thing they put together because their next album was likely rejected by the record company! That album would have been the material that ended up AFTER as "Animals". And while they have not said it, it is quite obvious by the album cover, and the two pieces "Welcome to the Machine" and then "Have a Cigar" that PF got swindled and paid off to come up with something that was closer to DSOTM than otherwise.

While I do not dislike the later PF and eventually "The Wall", in many ways, their real beauty and experiments and design was over, and I'm still about the earlier band, not the later version, regardless of how much it sold and what not.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
thwok View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2013 at 09:04
Are suggestions about specific albums to discuss allowed?  I don't know if theyr'e within the parameters for this forum.  If that's the case, what about Steely Dan's 2 masterpieces, Aja and Pretzel Logic?
I am the funkiest man on the planet!
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2013 at 09:15
King Crimson's debut:

It used to be my 2nd favourite album of all time, but recently I've really gone off it and think it's pretty mediocre. I still know why I liked it but I don't know what's happened! Anyway, those reasons were: it being so revolutionary - the first big prog rock album - ; the brilliant lyrics; that amazing section on Schizoid Man where they all play in unison; contrasts being the musician's styles' of playing; incredibly dramatic sections that leave you hanging (or as Jimmy Page would always say, "Light And Shade"), and so on. 

The only track I still really appreciate is I Talk To The Wind because of its brilliant flute harmonies. It's really weird because this used to be my least favourite track on the album when I was really into it. I rekcon I've just heard it too many times, and I'll probably grow to like it again Smile Masterpiece!

Edited by Xonty - December 31 2013 at 09:15
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2013 at 09:26
In the Court of the Crimson King...

I love the first half, don't care much for the second half, especially the title track.  I used to love it all, but it just hasn't aged well for me.  I prefer Poseidon and Lizard greatly.

But what's special about it?  Everything.  It's a groundbreaking album, and my little gripes can't change that.  It deserves its classic status.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2013 at 09:38
The sleeve design, the ensemble before Fripp's dictatorship, Greg Lake's voice and that little dose of pure rock (21st Century Schizoid Man) which disappeared from the following albums.
I mean, Red, Islands, Poseidon, are King Crimson masterpieces. This is more than just King Crimson.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2013 at 09:39
Originally posted by thwok thwok wrote:

Are suggestions about specific albums to discuss allowed?  I don't know if theyr'e within the parameters for this forum.  If that's the case, what about Steely Dan's 2 masterpieces, Aja and Pretzel Logic?
Just read the first page of this threadWink
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2013 at 09:39

What's so special about In The Court Of The Crimson King?

Not much if you've ever heard The Moody Blues or Procol Harum before (or in the case of "Schizoid Man" Hendrix and Zappa). What's 'special' about it is the drumming and lyrics. Crimson were always a live band first, so it's hard to find any live version of their songs not superior to the studio version. I'll take LTIA over ITCHCOCK any day.
Magma America Great Make Again
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2013 at 10:43
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

ITCHCOCK 

LOL
rotten hound of the burnie crew
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2013 at 10:47

Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

ITCHCOCK 

LOL
Now there's a thriller.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 35>