Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPA Songwriters'/Composers' Association

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 222324
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2016 at 15:38
^I could have something which might fit what you want. It's a track with mainly piano in the lead and some vocals in the middle (3 verses) where the piano is just accompaniment. It's got drum and bass added here and there. 
Anyway I'm not really sure what you exactly mean with your post, but I understand it should have a lonely feel, vulnerable- I could add the words intimate and melancholy to it with this song. Hope it helps you, here's the link: https://soundcloud.com/pascal-dool/the-sun-ate/s-s3soH

FYI: The piano in the first little segment is through-composed and after the repetition with added drum and bass it's mostly improvised around chords (the rest - with exception of the vocals - is also mostly improvised).
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2016 at 16:45
^ Thanks for the reply. 

I wouldn't feel comfortable singing on top of a piano part written in that style and with that kind of piano sound (maybe a bit too much sustain). Also, I don't hear a chorus or a distinctive melody in the song

Some lyrics for the song, pasted into a post, would be nice. But overall, good work. 

When I want to write a song, I want to make sure that I write words that I can relate to. But there's more to it than that. Here's a scheme: 

1) My vocal tone (depends on the register and the shapes of the resonant chambers within my body); 
2) Accompaniment (piano or guitar) with a certain style/technique; 
3) Style of melody for the lead vocal parts; 
4) The theme; the type of the song (a rant, a love song, etc.); the choice of words; the use of 1st, 2nd, 3rd persons; etc. 

1-2
|x|
3-4

All four ingredients should work together in a perfect synergy. That's how I want to write. 

DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2016 at 14:52
Thanks, here are the lyrics:

Wondrous
Ever big
Eternal energy
Surrounded by colourless black

Sublime
Beautiful blonde
Frightening
If it comes so near

Dangerous
Looking scary
Overwhelm me
When you grow

When I recorded the vocals there was a through composed melody which is about the same throughout these 3 verses. But maybe that's more in my head and isn't easy to recognise when you hear it for the first time as a listener. By the way: do you think it's fine for a studio recording or should it be played more neatly? Not sure if the little mistakes can be seen as interesting or annoying.

Also I have a certain way of "interpreting" my lyrics and making a melody for it. Read them through carefully and then say them out loud or in your head just how you want to say it (naturally) with its intonation. Then note in your head how the sentence flows and the varying pitch you use to stress certain words and syllables and make a melody with those high and low points, so that the lyrics will suit the melody perfectly. This gives the effect that you can't read the lyrics without singing them in your head which anyone probably has had before.

Oh yeah also use notes which aren't played in the accompinent a lot (avoid I and V mostly). Adds colour but is also harder to sing if you haven't got your melody in your click track and it can be harder to define when hearing and harder to remember.

Edited by DDPascalDD - August 10 2016 at 14:52
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2016 at 10:22
Given that I am currently under a dry spell, here's a crazy idea: What do you think of a piece of music that lasts for 55 minutes and consists of no sound at all? Absolute silence. The idea is not to annoy the listener but rather to understand the listener's impression of it, how the listener interprets the complete absence of sound, for the author to come in contact with another person, with the rest of the world. 
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2016 at 16:14
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Given that I am currently under a dry spell, here's a crazy idea: What do you think of a piece of music that lasts for 55 minutes and consists of no sound at all? Absolute silence. The idea is not to annoy the listener but rather to understand the listener's impression of it, how the listener interprets the complete absence of sound, for the author to come in contact with another person, with the rest of the world. 

So John Cages "Silence" was the single off the album. This is the album (with collaborators, silent partners if you will), at long last.

Can't wait for the 2 CD version. Y'know, with the live versions.Wink

EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2016 at 16:25
one of my guitar pieces which is a bit different- maybe even a bit Zappish (hopefully file size wont be to big), as I recorded using the Fender Strat but sounds more like keyboards. Used effects pedal (of course), then thru an old Teac 3 head tape deck, then onto a harddisk video recorder(bloody 100Mb file), then finally I converted to MP3- then to an Avi file = Must be an easier way Confused Is what I call low cost(No Cost) Home studio recording... and no I didn't get electrocuted!

Edited by EddieRUKiddingVarese - September 18 2016 at 16:29
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2016 at 04:07
Mmm.. spacey! I wonder how it would sound with the full arrangement. Also... the instrument's intonation's not very good. Have you considered having your guitar set up?
But anyway... I made a track inspired by 70s prog today. here I tried to make the drums sound lo fi yet still a bit modern. The same for guitars. What do you think of this?
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 222324