Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwhat's so special about...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 35>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 13:29
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

what's so special about The Silent Corner And The Empty Stage?

The guy who made it.

Definitely one of his best.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 14:04
Special...?  I suppose to a Hammill and VDGG fan it is but even though I own 6 VDGG Lp's and 4 Hammill solo LP's I have never fully embraced his peculiar style of eclectic prog. I like most of his progressive song structures (and lyrics) themselves but his voice and histrionics at times have always been a sticking point for me.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 05:12
What's so special about Aqualung?
rotten hound of the burnie crew
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 05:58
I can't say. It's one of my all time favorites. When music hits so deeply, finding an objective reason is not easy. It has surely a lot to do with Ian's vocals, with the passage D/D- in the title track's chorus, but the whole album is great.
Cross-Eyed Mary, Locomotive Breath... 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 07:35
Aqualung is the one Tull album that is defined (or "made special", if you like) by its kickin' hard rock passages.  That isn't to say that's all it has to offer, but it seems to me to have the most great-riffs-per-minute ratio of all the Tull albums.  Aqualung, Cross Eyed, My God, Hymn 43, and Locomotive Breath all have loud electric riffs that stick in your head.  The folky acoustic bits seem to play a secondary role, but given the other material recorded at the time (Up the 'Pool, Dr Bogenbroom, Wond'ring Again, pretty much all of side 4 of Living in the Past), the album could easily have gone in the opposite direction and been equally good.  They were definitely on a roll.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 08:54
It was a huge influence on early metal, especially NWoBHM. It also left plenty to be expanded upon in live performances. Ian's openly agnostic lyrics were extremely impressive too (I'm not one to know if they were "ahead of their time" but they may be some of the most successful to come out of that time).

Edited by HemispheresOfXanadu - February 11 2014 at 08:57
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 11:00
Hearing Aqualung the first week it was released...I was impressed with the uniqueness of the writing and on a mission as a teenager to completely understand the lyrics. It affected everyone around me in that sense. It was a new form of Progressive music and writing. People sat in rooms with candles lit, passing the album cover around..as everyone took a turn reading the lyrics. What the recording has developed into over the years..seems a bit questionable. I get the direct impression that Aqualung is over-rated and Ian Anderson has stated several times that he always considered the album to be simply a collection of songs. "My God" is an outstanding piece of work. The overdubbed vocal sections in the center of the piece during the flute solo and the chord changes from the very start of the piece are hauntingly beautiful.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 11:07
IMO it's a good batch of songs...good lyrics...good melodies. A nice mix of rock, folk, and some prog.
Haquin
KingCrimson250 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 15:28
What's so special about Darwin! ?
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 15:58
Side 1 is very good
Side 2 is average
Outtakes and singles are very good
Side 2 quad album is pretty good
Check out Hymn 43 on the quad album. Gives the song justice with toned down vocals
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 16:51
Originally posted by KingCrimson250 KingCrimson250 wrote:

What's so special about Darwin! ?

Uh.....his work on the Origin Of Species..?

Wink
Haquin
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 17:05
I've never been able to get into "Wind Up", come to think of it. I can't even remember how it goes, but I can sing almost every other song by heart
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 19:12
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I've never been able to get into "Wind Up", come to think of it. I can't even remember how it goes, but I can sing almost every other song by heart
Never cared for it.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 19:18
In the world of Rock....Foghat was the son of Savoy Brown and Bad Company was the son of Free. The sons went on to play Stadiums and that wasn't very special.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2014 at 01:30
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

It's just a mediocre hard rock song. The quad version is good though. Less guitar and more piano and bass and different vocals. Wish the band used the quad versions on side 2. Hymn 43, wind up, my god and loco breath all sound better as quads
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Billy Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2014 at 04:30
Not the biggest fan, I've always thought that Minstrel was the best from Jethro, I love that album. Agualung is alright, the title track is classic, Locomotive Breath hits hard, and Up To Me and Hymn 43 are good songs. Little bit too much filler in my opinion though.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2014 at 05:34
Originally posted by Billy Pilgrim Billy Pilgrim wrote:

Not the biggest fan, I've always thought that Minstrel was the best from Jethro, I love that album. Agualung is alright, the title track is classic, Locomotive Breath hits hard, and Up To Me and Hymn 43 are good songs. Little bit too much filler in my opinion though.

Cross eyed Mary and mother goose classic too
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2014 at 13:30

Ah, can't believe I missed the week that Silent Corner was up! Gonna break form and go back a bit here. I love that album! It has one of the best songs ever written IMO with Louse. It's very special to me. This album is also one of the most versatile albums Hammill has ever produced, as each song is very unique. No real weak track IMO, either.

Okay, now for this week. Aqualung is where I started with JT. It's definitely unique and worth the listen regardless of your opinion of the group. I don't listen to it much anymore, though.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2014 at 18:45
I think Aqualung is a great album, but as far as I'm concerned, it's got a small flaw. For some reason, I like just about every song from the album better on other alternate versions. The songs "Aqualung", "My God", and "Locomotive Breath" I like much better on "Live at Montreux", much more powerful and heavier. "Cross Eyed Mary" I like better on the "Live, burstin Out" version, just for the same reason. And in general, the shorter less stand-out tracks ("Cheap Day Return", "Mother Goose", "Hymn 43", and "Wind-up") I like more on the semi-live re-recording from the 90's... the original ones sound kind of incomplete and are not so satisfying for me, while the new ones are either longer and feel more complete, or have their folk feel in a more rewarding way, or rock harder in the right moments, or replace either flute with guitar, or guitar with flute in places that I like them better, etc. And last, I found "Wond'ring Aloud" a very nice little acoustic song, but much too short, so the extended version presented on the anniversary collection (Wond'ring Aloud, again) is just perfect.
Billy Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2014 at 06:24
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Originally posted by Billy Pilgrim Billy Pilgrim wrote:

Cross eyed Mary and mother goose classic too

Could never really get into those two Unhappy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 35>