Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recent Purchases

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 254255256257258 524>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGazzardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 22:45
Those albums sure look pretty in vinyl. Also curious about the new knife, I stumbled upon them recently and have heard mixed things about it.
NecronCommander View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Metal Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NecronCommander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 00:44
Shaking the Habitual is an interesting listen.  Definitely challenging (it's a triple LP, just short of 100 minutes in length) and many people seem to be quite fond of it.  I've always kept an open ear to their music but haven't been nearly as passionate about them as others seem to be.  I feel like they sometimes sacrifice solid songwriting for just general quirkiness and indie sensibilities in some of these tracks, but it's still a pretty good listen.  I like some of the weirder electro-ambient and IDM pieces quite a bit, the synth-pop moments less so.  Packaging-wise it's super heavy and feels awesome, even if the color scheme is purposefully terrible.

I gotta say, I can't recommend the new Nick Cave enough to folks here.  Melancholic and beautiful and utterly addicting.  I've never been a tremendous fan of all things Nick Cave but I can't stop listening to this record, and it easily holds its own against his pretty gargantuan back catalogue.

Edited by NecronCommander - May 01 2013 at 00:48
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fox On The Rocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 15:57
Yeah, I've always liked The Knife's overall sound. That really sort of dark ambient mixed with indietronica, it evokes a really cool atmosphere. I like how they shift moods a lot.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 12:10
Originally posted by NecronCommander NecronCommander wrote:

The result of a couple of spending sprees for my birthday last week.  That Ved Buens Ende album is an original pressing and probably one of the most sought after black metal albums of all time.  I can't believe I actually found a copy.

^ Nice vinyl!!!

Got this one in the mail other day, part of my RSD 2013 online buy........Only 700 of the Coke bottle green were pressed, Magna carta also pressed 300 of a blue but those were gone before I could sign on Cry........

But this green is pretty nice.

Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 13:44
A couple of Jpop vinyls

Ayumi Hamasaki - Surreal (12")
Mika Nakashima - The End (x2 LP).

More of an investment thing...I'm learning that Japanese vinyls like this accumulate in value quite fast.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 23:01
ZOMBI--SPIRIT ANIMAL.

Very happy with it. Nice retrospective sound to the classic synth bravado of the 80's and early 90's with a modern flip to the music by how guitar and sound sampling sound quite up to date. Great album. 2009 release.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 23:04
Ordered:

Massacre - Love Me Tender
Haino/Yoshi - New Rap
Fen - Dustwalker
Fromuz - Seventh Story
Charles Gayle - Streets
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Pastor Rex Cat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pastor Rex Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 02:07
On line Purchase:
Thank Christ for The Groundhogs: The Liberty Years (1968 - 1972)
Five albums on three CDs. Sweet! Big smile

Edited by Pastor Rex Cat - May 03 2013 at 02:07
http://revbookburn.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/rexcat
http://www.myspace.com/prxcat

Greetings! And Welcome to The Global Internet Church of Prog!
Hail the Prog and Praise "Bob"!
NecronCommander View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Metal Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NecronCommander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 03:59
@Catcher10,

That LTE album does look quite nice on splatter wax.  My record store did have a copy when I went in on RSD, but I was already dishing out quite a bit of dosh, and it wasn't as high on my priority list.  The only RSD exclusives I ended up walking out with were the Botch and Cave In reissues and the Atlas Moth/Wolvhammer split.  Was really hoping to nab some of the Sigur Rós and At The Drive-In reissues, but those were long gone by the time I got there.  
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 12:05
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melomaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 12:35
Ghost - Infestissumam
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 12:38
Originally posted by NecronCommander NecronCommander wrote:

@Catcher10,

That LTE album does look quite nice on splatter wax.  My record store did have a copy when I went in on RSD, but I was already dishing out quite a bit of dosh, and it wasn't as high on my priority list.  The only RSD exclusives I ended up walking out with were the Botch and Cave In reissues and the Atlas Moth/Wolvhammer split.  Was really hoping to nab some of the Sigur Rós and At The Drive-In reissues, but those were long gone by the time I got there.  

Yea.....RSD in Tacoma and especially Seattle is getting quite popular, you almost have to camp out to swipe up the deals soon as the store opens. Once store had a limit for RSD issues........I called around and nobody had ordered the LTE vinyl.
I picked up a bunch of used at some pretty good deals.....I have been mail ordering most vinyl lately.

Sigur Ros would be nice.

Magna Carta did an excellent job with this LTE......finished listening session last night and its pretty darn sweet!! Side 4 is my fav with Another Dimension and Liquid Dreams........pretty awesome sounding with a huge soundstage!

Although helps that I just upgraded my cartridge few weeks ago......

Enjoy!
ArturdeLara View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArturdeLara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 15:02

Darn, am I a metalhead? Confused
"Those who are not shocked when they first come across Prog theory cannot possibly have understood it." - Niels Bohr

"If you think you understand Prog, you don't understand Prog." - Richard Feynman
ArturdeLara View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArturdeLara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 15:08
Originally posted by Melomaniac Melomaniac wrote:

Ghost - Infestissumam

HeadbangerAWESOME ALBUM (in a strange way)!!!!!!
"Those who are not shocked when they first come across Prog theory cannot possibly have understood it." - Niels Bohr

"If you think you understand Prog, you don't understand Prog." - Richard Feynman
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melomaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 15:35
^ Awesome indeed, gotta love that band, and the whole retro movement, of which I'm a big fan (The Sword, Witchcraft, etc...)

Awesome music kept simple, with a mean 70's spirit to it, gotta love it !

"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Canterzeuhl View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canterzeuhl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 02:50
I had the good fortune of escaping my mothers womb on this day some years back, and to celebrate the anniversary I was given three records!

Frank Zappa - Apostrophe'
Frank Zappa - Roxy & Elsewhere
Yes - Relayer

The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Bearded Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 13:26
At last night's concert:

The Residents - WB:RMX
The Residents - Coochie Brake
otto pankrock View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto pankrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 18:41
Genesis-Trespass
Groundhogs-Hoggin' the Stage
Best of Echo and the Bunnymen
Remission-Skinny Puppy
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 19:04
JPT Scare Band - Past Is Prologue
Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come
Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs
Opeth - Still Life
Fiona Apple - When the Pawn ...
Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGazzardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 19:12
Pulled the trigger on a bunch of things that I have been sampling on grooveshark recently. 

Hacktivist - Hacktivist
: Djent-hop I guess you could call this, I quite enjoyed it and it was supposed to be a limited edition of 500 so I figured I'd pick up a copy before they're all gone.

Susanne Sundfřr - Brothel - Heard of this one through the forums, love the way she builds up the songs

Ponytail - Kamehameha - I fell in love with these guys after discovering them as a related artist to Deerhoof on lastfm. This is their debut and the only one I don't have yet. It's like psychadelic noise rock with slight mathy tendencies.

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Let Love In - Cool rock stuff

Lilium - Short Stories - 16 horsepower spinoff group, more folksy and with some female vocals on some songs, I like it

Tom Ze - Danc-Eh-Sa - Tropicalia with no words (but yes vocals), very cool stuff

Beat Circus - Cool Dark Cabaret music

Bjork - Live Box - Live renditions of Bjorks first four albums, cool electro-pop that moves into the more experimental realms with each album. Excited to hear the live rendition of "Pluto" off of Homogenic.

The Books - Food For Thought, Lost and Safe, Lemon of Pink - Super love Lemon of Pink and knew that I had to hear more buy these guys, found them all at a great price

Pixel - Reminder - Cool Norwegian jazz fusion stuff, the Norwegian seems to have some great bands in this scene (Jaga Jazzist, Ultralyd, Grand General, etc.), 

Denver Gentlemen - Denver Gentlemen - These guys were the original "Denver Sound" band, this was their reformation album recorded I think 10 years after their debut.

Now I just gotta wait for them to come in the mail

Edited by TheGazzardian - May 04 2013 at 19:57
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 254255256257258 524>